ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Marcus Cooper (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=281846)

suzzer99 03-01-2014 05:13 PM

I have high hopes for Cooper. Especially with him surrounded by Flowers and Berry.

I am a lot less optimistic about our defensive coaches - given how we collapsed in the second half of the season. Yes I know we played better QBs but it seemed like we failed to ever adjust to anything.

Why the hell did our backups play better against Rivers than our starters? Maybe because once Manning figured us out everyone else just followed suit and we failed to adjust. With the backups in we ran different schemes or at least our players didn't have the same tendencies or something (which comes back to coaching). Just a theory but I can't think of a better explanation.

Valiant 03-01-2014 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 10460710)
Agreed. His tape shows promise, but the subtle nuances of the position certainly escaped him against higher competition. He'll improve.

Well, that and his inconsistencies showed more when our d line decided they could not get pressure.

He should be a fine DB..

milkman 03-01-2014 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 10460867)
I just wasn't quite sure if we were all in agreement that we have a legit #1 CB prospect on our roster. I felt like he was a player that everybody was really excited about mid season, but kind of got lost in the way things ended. How do you feel about Parker? I'm curious because like I said earlier we could be just one good young prospect away from having our future set. Desir/SJB, Cooper, Parker

Parker is a solid dime and STs performer.

milkman 03-01-2014 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzzer99 (Post 10460872)
I have high hopes for Cooper. Especially with him surrounded by Flowers and Berry.

I am a lot less optimistic about our defensive coaches - given how we collapsed in the second half of the season. Yes I know we played better QBs but it seemed like we failed to ever adjust to anything.

Why the hell did our backups play better against Rivers than our starters? Maybe because once Manning figured us out everyone else just followed suit and we failed to adjust. With the backups in we ran different schemes or at least our players didn't have the same tendencies or something (which comes back to coaching). Just a theory but I can't think of a better explanation.

Our backups played better against Rivers because thet were fresh.

chiefzilla1501 03-01-2014 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzzer99 (Post 10460872)

I'm struggling to think of a single play where Kendrick Lewis provided help over the top. A rangy Safety will help tons.

suzzer99 03-01-2014 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10460889)
Our backups played better against Rivers because thet were fresh.

Did Seattle's secondary get crazy amounts of rest? Maybe our secondary needed more rest because they were chasing guys from behind so much (which goes back to my original point).

A Philly fan I know told me Reid's teams always get gassed at the end of the year. I fear we may be back to Herm levels of conditioning.

thabear04 03-01-2014 05:40 PM

With a better FS to help him out we will be okay.

suzzer99 03-01-2014 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10460892)
I'm struggling to think of a single play where Kendrick Lewis provided help over the top. A rangy Safety will help tons.

Let us pray that the Lord will provide us with a rangy safety then. (heads down)

bowener 03-01-2014 05:44 PM

I haven't seen anyone writing him off. Quite the opposite really.

BlackHelicopters 03-01-2014 05:49 PM

Not writing him off at all.

scho63 03-01-2014 06:04 PM

Once Cooper learns to turn and locate the ball, he should improve tremendously. He seemed to always have his back to the throw and guys caught it over him in stride.

RealSNR 03-01-2014 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 10460932)
Once Cooper learns to turn and locate the ball, he should improve tremendously. He seemed to always have his back to the throw and guys caught it over him in stride.

Uhh, not really. Part of what made him so impressive early in the season was that was brilliant at looking for the ball on downfield throws. That's why he had so many successful big plays early on, and why normally stuff that would get called for ticky-tack pass interference never got called. He was using his skills as a former receiver to play the ball, not the guy.

After teams started to dink and dunk on him on crossing routes and slants (and *cough* illegal picks) he was a hopeless mess and totally unhelpful. But that's okay. He's still learning. He'll figure it out in due time. He's already been stupendous for having only played the position for 3 seasons TOTAL- and two of those were in college.

htismaqe 03-01-2014 07:18 PM

Nobody here is writing off Cooper.

Now you want to talk about Flowers or Smith? Yeah, they have a lot of us concerned.

Ragged Robin 03-01-2014 07:19 PM

The talent is there. I'm still pulling for him.

Chiefnj2 03-01-2014 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10461034)
Nobody here is writing off Cooper.

Now you want to talk about Flowers or Smith? Yeah, they have a lot of us concerned.

Why Flowers? IMO Flowers is still the best CB on the team by far. Look at the Colts game. After the first two drives they move Flowers and the Colts O stalls for the rest of the half. Flowers goes out with an injury and the rest is history.