ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Books More Police nonsense. Father arrested for Speaking Against Sexually Explicit Book (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=283464)

Deberg_1990 05-07-2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha_omega (Post 10607180)
I read the article 3 times and still don't know exactly why he was arrested.

He violated some asinine "2 minute" speaking rule.
Posted via Mobile Device

Demonpenz 05-07-2014 11:54 AM

Hot sticky cum was the name of my freshman punk band

listopencil 05-07-2014 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 10607062)
I can't roll my eyes hard enough at every person involved in this story.

Overprotective dad.

Teacher should have known better.

Principal should have handled immediately.

School board should have never had father removed.

Cop should have laughed in their face when they wanted him arrested.

But most importantly...

That writer should be ashamed for writing about hot sticky cum on the carpet. Doesn't move the story forward and is completely pointless. Needlessly graphic and takes you out of the scene. I'm not offended as a parent. I'm offended as a writer. Pure shock value. Stupid.

Yup.

Amnorix 05-07-2014 12:01 PM

Meh. 9th grade is what? 14? 14 years old is pushing it, so I can kind of see it being ok, but honestly I wouldn't push it quite that far.

By 14 I had a collection of not just Playboys, but Penthouse and Hustlers, and some Penthouse Letters. I had read, far, far, FAR worse, and it only left me the tremendously mentally scarred person that I am today.

And with a deep and abiding affection for Mindy Farrar, but I digress..

listopencil 05-07-2014 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10607191)
He violated some asinine "2 minute" speaking rule.
Posted via Mobile Device

No, he followed that rule according to the article. He was removed because he was trying to argue against another speaker by taking a second turn himself. I would imagine that the rule was set up to prevent conflicts.

listopencil 05-07-2014 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 10607230)
Meh. 9th grade is what? 14? 14 years old is pushing it, so I can kind of see it being ok, but honestly I wouldn't push it quite that far.

By 14 I had a collection of not just Playboys, but Penthouse and Hustlers, and some Penthouse Letters. I had read, far, far, FAR worse, and it only left me the tremendously mentally scarred person that I am today.

I was selling Playboys (etc.) in 9th grade. There was an old guy that supplemented his income by dumpster diving and I bought a stack of about sixty off of him for five bucks. I sold them for fifty cents per pictorial. Made some good money.

Mr. Plow 05-07-2014 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10607057)
Damn. No way I'd let my 9th grade daughter read this..

http://i62.tinypic.com/prcyb.jpg

Uhhh, yeah.....I would not allow my kids to be reading that in 9th grade.

WhawhaWhat 05-07-2014 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha_omega (Post 10607180)
I read the article 3 times and still don't know exactly why he was arrested.

Disorderly conduct. He knew the rules going into the meeting and he violated them after another parent spoke in favor of the book. If the guy would have just shut the **** up and listened to other people's viewpoints, there would be no story.

listopencil 05-07-2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 10607240)
Disorderly conduct. He knew the rules going into the meeting and he violated them after another parent spoke in favor of the book. If the guy would have just shut the **** up and listened to other people's viewpoints, there would be no story.

^

Dayze 05-07-2014 12:08 PM

"Dear Penthouse"....

Mr. Plow 05-07-2014 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 10607084)
No one had previously complained. Perhaps they were underprotective parents?

Perhaps other parents didn't think to skim through a book called "Nineteen Minutes" looking for sexually explicit material.

htismaqe 05-07-2014 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 10607249)
Perhaps other parents didn't think to skim through a book called "Nineteen Minutes" looking for sexually explicit material.

Perhaps if the book had been titled "Nineteen Seconds"...

Mr. Plow 05-07-2014 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10607250)
Perhaps if the book had been titled "Nineteen Seconds"...

So they did it twice in the book? I didn't read much of it.

mr. tegu 05-07-2014 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 10607230)

The difference between what you describe and what this book apparently portrays is that the characters are of the same or similar age to the intended audience. They can be identified with and come across as being more "real" and more imitable. To make it a required reading without parental consent would definitely upset me as well.

NinerDoug 05-07-2014 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Jefe (Post 10607078)
Over protective? You would allow your 9th grade daughter (hypothetical if need be) to read that?

By the time they reach 9th Grade, kids know all about sex. I don't see anything particularly attractive literature-wise on that particular page, but it's not like it's going to make the class room instantly turn into an anal rape orgy.