ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Computers First time home seller: I sold more than what is appraised for.... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=293458)

Rain Man 07-18-2015 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 11604778)
It is what it is. Right now we have a ton of out of town construction workers that will be here for approximately 3-5 years. They don't want to live in 5th wheels with our climate so they look to renting and even buying which is driving the prices just plain nuts at the moment. Good ol supply and demand.

Construction is cyclical. You should sell your house now and then buy it back in five years when the workers all leave and the market goes down.

ptlyon 07-19-2015 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 11605620)
Construction is cyclical. You should sell your house now and then buy it back in five years when the workers all leave and the market goes down.

Pretty good idea! Only problem is I'd have to have a place to live and would end up overpaying for that...

MahiMike 07-19-2015 10:36 AM

You could always ask for another appraisal.

SLAG 07-19-2015 03:57 PM

Funny timing of this thread.
We are soon to be first time home sellers and we actually just accepted a counter offer on a home in Spring Hill.

We're trying to finish up stuff to List this Olathe house by 8/1.

Good luck Neighbor!

SLAG 07-19-2015 03:57 PM

Also looking for recommendations for Inspectors / Appraisers

Mr_Tomahawk 07-23-2015 06:41 PM

Update: All's good!

:)

Hog's Gone Fishin 07-24-2015 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 11614408)

So, the appraisal ?

JD10367 07-24-2015 02:20 AM

I bought my house with an FHA. The lending bank did its own appraisal and it was 8k lower than the owners'. The owners had to drop the price or not sell to us.

TEX 07-24-2015 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 11604447)
...am I ****ed?

To be fair...this was our first time selling a house. We just went through the whole inspection process with minor fixes.

And then we got our house appraised today....shit. I am 99.9% sure that we are asking $10k-$20k more than what it will appraise for.

Am I ****ed when the appraiser comes back with a significantly lower appraisal than what we are asking?

I have a feeling that most of the answers will be. "It depends on how bad the buyer wants the house...."

If its a cash sale - you have no issues. However, if buyer is getting a mortgage, someone (you drop price or buyer puts more money down) will have to come up with the difference between appraised value and selling price.

DaneMcCloud 07-24-2015 10:24 AM

We lived in a townhome back in 2003 that the owner wanted to sell. We had it appraised for $250k, presented it to the owner and watched him laugh. He said he's get at least $400k for it and appraisers are generally off.

We bought our current home instead while he sold the townhome for $409k three weeks after we moved out.

kepp 01-25-2016 08:08 AM

Resurrecting this thread for a question of my own.

We're planning on selling/moving this summer so we had a realtor come over for some advice. She's trying to convince us that it would be better to put the house on the market now rather than in the spring/summer because there is much less competition in the market right now. On one hand this seems reasonable, but I can't help thinking that maybe she's telling us this to drum up business when things are slow.

Has anyone had experience selling in winter vs spring/summer?

Rausch 01-25-2016 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kepp (Post 12048618)

We're planning on selling/moving this summer so we had a realtor come over for some advice. She's trying to convince us that it would be better to put the house on the market now rather than in the spring/summer because there is much less competition in the market right now. On one hand this seems reasonable, but I can't help thinking that maybe she's telling us this to drum up business when things are slow.

Moving always sucks.

Moving when it's cold as $#it outside is miserable. Could be impossible on the day you plan for if there's snow or ice.

I'll bet there is less competition...

Buehler445 01-25-2016 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 11604487)
Yes....she told us not to worry about it.

We had it appraised a couple of years ago prior to some interior/exterior updates. We asked abut $40k over that appraised value. Got an offer within 2 days of putting it up for sale...

I know it will appraise more than what it did a couple years ago...but it won't be a $40k jump....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 11614408)

Good to hear. It might have taken a 40K jump if comparable sales in the area are in line with what you are asking.

King_Chief_Fan 01-25-2016 08:55 AM

Quote:

Sold in winter in 24 days.
Realtor told us the same about less competition but I did not put a lot of weight on it as there are also fewer people looking to buy

blake5676 01-25-2016 08:57 AM

Quote:

I listed my house the day before Thanksgiving. I was hesitant and thought it wasn't a great time to sell, but my agent explained to me the stories of best time/worst time are really just fluff.

Are there more houses on the market in late spring and summer? Probably....but mostly because it's easier time for seller's with kids to plan every thing out and have ample time. That being said, when I listed in lat November, I had about 20 showings in the first 2 weeks, 3 offers, and was under contract in less than a month. Closed first week of January.

Bottom line, people are always looking. And buyers shopping in the winter months are usually a little more serious and not the typical window shoppers. But I don't think it honestly makes a gigantic difference either way. Tell your realtor you're going to list when it makes most sense for you.