ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life OP or LS? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=299264)

bobbymitch 04-10-2016 11:19 AM

What's the difference in property and car registration between the two?

All things being equal, choose closer to work as 435 can be a real biotch, especially in winter. And yes, Brownbeck has made a real mess of Kansas. So glad we sold out and moved out.

GloryDayz 04-10-2016 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 12171012)
Go with the one that is east of your work. That way you don't drive into the sun to work or from work.

This (too)...

duncan_idaho 04-10-2016 12:19 PM

I'd think long and hard about the school situation in Kansas if you have kids.

The Shawnee Mission and Blue Valley school districts are still strong, but that's more and more of a burden to the parents, and considering the way Kansas is treating it's teachers (this week delayed payments to the pension fund of KPERs and is threatening to cut it altogether... Think teachers are going to start exiting the state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chiefs Pantalones 04-10-2016 05:32 PM

So LS over OP?

Chiefs Pantalones 04-10-2016 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 12171047)
Do you have kids? Keep them out of Kansas and what Brownback is doing to the school districts. Lee's Summit all the way if you have kids or are planning on having kids.

And Valiant is right - check out north of the river. Boomtown up there with great school districts.

Yeah we have a baby daughter now. School is very important.

duncan_idaho 04-10-2016 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 12171877)
So LS over OP?

Definitely. Not sure the schools in OP hold up over time.

Park Hill is also an excellent spot, as some have mentioned.

Titty Meat 04-10-2016 09:13 PM

There's houses for sale in East KC for $1

Chiefs Pantalones 04-11-2016 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 12172185)
Definitely. Not sure the schools in OP hold up over time.

Park Hill is also an excellent spot, as some have mentioned.

What has happened? I haven't lived in KC in 9 years. What is going on with Brownback?

DaneMcCloud 04-11-2016 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 12172395)
What has happened? I haven't lived in KC in 9 years. What is going on with Brownback?

Why are even considering a move?

Nearly perfect weather, a fairly quick drive to National Parks, the ocean, Disney and so much more.

Why live in -5 winters?

Chiefs Pantalones 04-11-2016 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12172398)
Why are even considering a move?

Nearly perfect weather, a fairly quick drive to National Parks, the ocean, Disney and so much more.

Why live in -5 winters?

We just love KC. We have one kid, we plan on having more. Schools are shit here. Better place to raise a family back in KC to us. Phoenix is ok...to visit. But that's it. Dirty place overall. But I see why people would like it. Different strokes. We prefer four seasons actually as crazy as it sounds lol. It'll probably change when we retire like every other old couple.

Sully 04-11-2016 09:56 AM

I live in LS and I love it. I'm in the far south part of the city, but it's still close access to all of the LS stuff (downtown LS has some great shops and bars, the 291 retail strip, Chipman shopping area), but I can also get to the cool parts of OP in about 10-13 minutes (Prairie Fire, etc). I like the history in LS, There is a ton for our daughter to do (playing soccer and softball right now, summer camps), although that is everywhere. The schools are good (We've been very happy with her teachers, although she's only in 1st grade).
We have google fiber, and aside from very few snags, we love it.
I "grew up" in Independence (the middle class part, not the methy part) and loved it, how it was centrally located and easy to get to anywhere due to I-70. But I prefer LS at this point in time, because Indep is becoming a little overgrown.

tooge 04-11-2016 10:01 AM

Not sure about LS, but you couldn't pay me to live in OP. Traffic sucks down there, and it sucks bad.

tooge 04-11-2016 10:03 AM

BTW, Liberty is the place to be, but don't come here, because the traffic isn't bad, and the awesome schools aren't screwed up with over population yet.

BigBeauford 04-11-2016 11:06 AM

We bought a house in Western Shawnee, and we really like that area: especially Mill Valley High School.

Bowser 04-11-2016 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 12172395)

Brownback is simply destroying the Kansas educational system with his tax cuts aimed at helping small business owners. It worked literally the opposite as he sold it, and now he's bleeding the public school districts to make up the shortfall in revenue, forcing these districts to beg to raise taxes in their said districts. It's a mess. I wouldn't live in Kansas with a small child on a dare right now.

That said, Blue Valley still is a very highly regarded school district right now, but for how long remains to be seen. There is an exodus beginning of teachers leaving Kansas for Missouri (and Oklahoma, Nebraska, Colorado.....). Do some serious research on the subject if Johnson County is your dream location.