ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Beginning stages of a LONG road trip (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=299988)

Chiefshrink 05-22-2016 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 12241578)
This is an incredibly bad idea.

Get all your bucket list stuff done before your trip and make sure you take out a life insurance policy because that schedule will literally kill you.

When you are on a bike you need your wits about you at all times, and that ain't gonna happen with your timelines. The fatigue becomes cumulative and you are doing things in between your rides rather than resting up.

I am all for long distance rides, but make sure you know your limits. Be willing to adjust your schedule. Maybe you are young and dumb and can pull it off; I'm just an old man who knows that even 25 years ago that ride would be a struggle. Part of the ride is taking it all in--slow down and enjoy it.

Wisdom !!:clap:

pr_capone 05-23-2016 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12241328)
Yeah, I don't understand a goal of driving until you're exhausted. I thought the goal of a road trip was to explore different places. But I guess some people just like driving. I'll take the train any day.

I'm doing that first stretch strictly to complete the Saddle Sore 1000 challenge where a person rides 1000 miles in 24 hours.

I also would not be able to see everything, and everyone, I'm going to see had I flown or taken a train as the cost wouldn't even compare. As it stands... I will travel 4,300 miles for about $1,300 including gas, food, lodging, and spending money by making this trip on the motorcycle.

I'm also staying in town long enough to catch the highlights of each city so I get to go touristing on my own single seater cycle. I guess I'm doing this more for the experience than anything else.

Shit... it isn't like I have a child at home to take care of. I may as well take advantage of the fact that life has decided I have expendable time and income.

pr_capone 05-23-2016 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 12241578)
This is an incredibly bad idea.

Get all your bucket list stuff done before your trip and make sure you take out a life insurance policy because that schedule will literally kill you.

When you are on a bike you need your wits about you at all times, and that ain't gonna happen with your timelines. The fatigue becomes cumulative and you are doing things in between your rides rather than resting up.

I am all for long distance rides, but make sure you know your limits. Be willing to adjust your schedule. Maybe you are young and dumb and can pull it off; I'm just an old man who knows that even 25 years ago that ride would be a struggle. Part of the ride is taking it all in--slow down and enjoy it.

Still in the planning stages and things will certainly be shifted as needed. My first stop is aware I may need an extra day to get myself back together before plowing into Cleveland. I hope not... but it is possible. I may even take off a day earlier to ensure I have enough time to pull it off.

Dayze 05-23-2016 07:07 AM

I drove from Fresno to fort Collins CO in one shot. I was so jacked up to be out o the military and finally being able to come home that I just kept going. Finally was too tired to drive by the time I hit fort Collins.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Lzen 05-23-2016 08:04 AM

My BIL was going to take that 24 hour, 1000 mile challenge last year. I advised strongly against it. That is a lot of miles for one day on a bike. Good luck and God bless.

Halfcan 05-23-2016 09:57 AM

Looks like some fun trips. I am leaving friday for a nearly one month trip. Going to travel up the Outer banks of the Carolina's and spend some time with my son in Virgina on the Navel base were he is a Electrical Engineer for the Navy. Hitting 5 National parks and at least 10 states. Probably about 50 beaches up the coast-camping right out on the beach.

Fat Elvis 05-23-2016 11:30 AM

One other thing to remember is that America's infrastructure today isn't what it used to be; some major highways are comparable to riding in a back alley and if you are familiar with that particular stretch of road, it can make for a pretty unpleasant experience.

I remember one time riding through Oregon after about 13 hours on a bike going through a pass at night with lots of road construction. I couldn't tell where the cones were veering (and they were going all over the place on a winding road), there was no passing and I had a semi bearing down on my ass. The kicker: The roadsign warnings were a picture of a wavy road with a motorcycle flying through the air.

Rather not do that again.

Dave Lane 05-23-2016 04:03 PM

1000 miles in a day is a thing? I do it twice a month. It only takes 18 hours if you glue yourself to the wheel. :D

patteeu 05-23-2016 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 12242336)
1000 miles in a day is a thing? I do it twice a month. It only takes 18 hours if you glue yourself to the wheel. :D

I think it's only a thing if you do it on a motorcycle. What's your 1000 mile, twice a month trip about?

lewdog 05-23-2016 06:24 PM

Quote:

Sounds like you're a mule for a Mexican drug ring.

NTTIAWWT

Rain Man 05-23-2016 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 12241957)
One other thing to remember is that America's infrastructure today isn't what it used to be; some major highways are comparable to riding in a back alley and if you are familiar with that particular stretch of road, it can make for a pretty unpleasant experience.

I remember one time riding through Oregon after about 13 hours on a bike going through a pass at night with lots of road construction. I couldn't tell where the cones were veering (and they were going all over the place on a winding road), there was no passing and I had a semi bearing down on my ass. The kicker: The roadsign warnings were a picture of a wavy road with a motorcycle flying through the air.

Rather not do that again.

I was in Michigan last year, driving at night through some small town and they had construction cones and jersey barriers all over the place at a big and confusing intersection with a state highway. I couldn't tell where I was going as I made my left turn and had a bad feeling.

Sure enough, I was on the wrong side of a jersey barrier. I couldn't see the eastbound lanes and pulled into the westbound lanes instead, thinking it wasn't a divided road. When I saw headlights coming toward me I figured it out immediately and zipped onto the shoulder and sat until I could make a u-turn. I'd never done that before and it was not a good feeling.

I don't enjoy driving at night in strange places. Plus, things are just different in a weird way. I was in some city a while back and the left turn lane suddenly gave me a flashing red arrow. What does that even mean? It wasn't a red light. It was flashing, so I decided that it was basically equivalent to a stop sign. But I'd never seen such a thing before.

Fat Elvis 05-23-2016 08:51 PM

Quote:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lydBPm2KRaU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DaneMcCloud 05-23-2016 08:54 PM

Quote:

I've done the 1,600 mile, 23 hour KC to LA drive too many times to count, most recently in 2011.

That said, I'm getting to old for that shit. 12 hours a day is enough.

:D

pr_capone 05-25-2016 02:19 PM

Atlanta is a go.

Updated the schedule. Now I get to start planning a detailed itinerary of when I leave and how much time I have to do things.

http://www.grahamchamber.com/wp/wp-c...ftheDragon.jpg

kcfanXIII 05-25-2016 02:56 PM

PR, don't let these naysayers deter you. The Iron Butt is going to be the hardest part of your trip. I came close once, I did 750 miles in about 17 hours. It wasn't planned, we just got sidetracked on the way home. We weren't keeping track officially, if we were, I would have done the last 250 miles. Stay rested, and watch for jagoffs in cages on the highway. I am jealous of this long trip, I need to plan one out and do it.