ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Woodworking (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=305669)

headsnap 01-31-2017 09:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I guess guitars qualify since they are made of wood...

HemiEd 01-31-2017 09:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 12720342)
My fear goes back to high school woodshop when I was cutting a top for a nightstand on a table saw, and the saw grabbed the piece out of my hand and shot it across the shop. Still to this day don't know what I did to make it do that, but that machine earned my full respect that day.

That stuff kind of keeps it from getting boring. :D I have stopped a couple of my saws lately and you just stay out of the way. Run and hide.:)

The scary part on the table saw for me is using my dado blades like i used to make these shelves. You are cutting out a very wide path and it whirrs pretty loud. You are also at the limits of the shaft width.

HemiEd 01-31-2017 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 12720323)
We had an auto shop too. A good one.

We did to but I was already working as a bottom line heavy mechanic at a shop. Kind of funny, I wasn't a "voky" but did more voky than most of them.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 12720331)
Same here, small engine, electrical, drafting/mechanical drawing among others. Probably none of that is there anymore.

We had electrical in eight grade then wood working in ninth, that was it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by D2112 (Post 12720341)
I had an aeronautics class in high school. Now that was fun. You built your own wooden airplane with a Ricky dink propulsion system. We'd throw them on the football field and you were graded on performance and distance. I think mine went 60 yards. It was a cool class and I don't hear about too many high school classes offering that.

Rich kids.

HemiEd 01-31-2017 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headsnap (Post 12720354)
I guess guitars qualify since they are made of wood...

Did you make those?:eek: wow, that is some nice work.

Bugeater 01-31-2017 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 12720364)
We did to but I was already working as a bottom line heavy mechanic at a shop. Kind of funny, I wasn't a "voky" but did more voky than most of them.
We had electrical in eight grade then wood working in ninth, that was it.

Rich kids.

Looking back, our middle school shop classes were pretty impressive as well. In addition to wood and metal, we did leather stamping, plastic molding, silk screening and probably other stuff I'm forgetting. We even cast metals which was super cool.

Bugeater 01-31-2017 10:24 PM

And yeah, that guitar is incredible.

HemiEd 01-31-2017 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 12720389)
Looking back, our middle school shop classes were pretty impressive as well. In addition to wood and metal, we did leather stamping, plastic molding, silk screening and probably other stuff I'm forgetting. We even cast metals which was super cool.

Is a lot of that training valuable in your job today? Help you build the fundamentals that you use?

2112 01-31-2017 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 12720392)
And yeah, that guitar is incredible.

How did your kitchen come out, n00b? And did Ed make the cabinets? Lol

Bugeater 01-31-2017 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 12720403)
Is a lot of that training valuable in your job today? Help you build the fundamentals that you use?

Oh absolutely. I don't know where else I would have learned to use so many different types of tools. It sure as hell wasn't going to happen at home.

Bugeater 01-31-2017 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D2112 (Post 12720428)
How did your kitchen come out, n00b? And did Ed make the cabinets? Lol

****, I am STILL staining the cabinets. It's been a slow and tedious process and I've had to redo some of them because I didn't like how they were turning out. I'm probably about 3/4ths of the way done with them but they are finally starting to shape up pretty nicely. As soon as I'm done with that I just have to do the floor. I really need to have it finished by spring.

HemiEd 02-01-2017 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 12720457)
Oh absolutely. I don't know where else I would have learned to use so many different types of tools. It sure as hell wasn't going to happen at home.

I think this generation is really missing out on that kind of training. We had this come up in DC one day.

Pasta Little Brioni 02-01-2017 06:36 AM

No, I still have all my fingers

ping2000 02-01-2017 06:48 AM

Have you worked with wood from aids trees?

2112 02-01-2017 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 12720461)
****, I am STILL staining the cabinets. It's been a slow and tedious process and I've had to redo some of them because I didn't like how they were turning out. I'm probably about 3/4ths of the way done with them but they are finally starting to shape up pretty nicely. As soon as I'm done with that I just have to do the floor. I really need to have it finished by spring.

The granite counter tops, the backsplash and stove top look nice! Making pork roll there will never be the same now :D as long as it doesn't snow and you don't get called in for emergencies you'll get it done by Easter lol

Mike in SW-MO 02-01-2017 06:55 AM

I am refurbishing a 1952 Tudor house right now.

After that I plan on a cabinet from a tree from my yard topped by the 2007 ice storm. It was a black cherry & I had the bottom 12 feet cut into planks. It went into the attic for 3 years to season. Then I planed it all out.

Gorgeous wood.

Found a 22 buried in the tree. Planed off shiny & bright. I will put that in a prominent location for conversation.

The refurbishing has stretched my plumbing & electrical. Learned window glazing. Tile. Now starting on sanding the hard wood floors. Hope to have it done next month.