ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Looking for homeschool info (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=311472)

otherstar 11-12-2017 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13212410)
In that case...

Make sure your curriculum is secular. I'd hit up eBay for books. If you get Saxon math books and make your kids complete them, rather than stop 1/2 through, they'll be ahead of their peers.

Do you or your partner have an education background? That's key. My parents didn't, but my dad is basically Jared from the Pretender and channeled anything he needed to (especially high-concept math).

I was also pretty self-sufficient, which saved me.

My sister wasn't, and it really stunted her. She has issues she's still dealing with today (on top of being a goddamn millennial who was spoiled rotten by my folks).

Agree with Rausch on the social aspect. My parents made sure I had a variety of social outlets (travel baseball, home school support group, 4-H, Scouts, church group, etc). They let my sister do just one (dance), which also stunted her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of this. My wife and I both have graduate degrees (she has one master's, I have two)....so that helps.

How well-adjusted home schooled kids are is a mix of the kid themselves, and the parents. I've known a few that are awkward (but I've know plenty that went to regular schools that were too), and I've known plenty that were fine, and many home-schooled kids who were much better informed and smarter than their peers (all of these were kids who followed a secular curriculum).

Sadly, I've known more assholes that come from the public school system than anywhere else. Same goes for critical thinking. I work in higher education and most of the younger students I see can't write papers, can't think critically for themselves, are selfish little pricks..BUT they can take a test and do well even if they can't do much else without being told.

EWOK 11-12-2017 02:58 PM

Go to Homeschool Legal Defense (HSLDA) they can give you information about your state laws and resources.

vailpass 11-12-2017 03:01 PM

It seems sad to think of all the interaction home schooled kids miss out on. I get that parents try to manufacture that interaction for their home schooled kids but it seems like it's not the same in the large majority of the cases.

EWOK 11-12-2017 03:01 PM

My wife and I have already graduated 1 , next year will be #2, the third is still in being home schooled.

Chief Roundup 11-12-2017 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 13212759)
It seems sad to think of all the interaction home schooled kids miss out on. I get that parents try to manufacture that interaction for their home schooled kids but it seems like it's not the same in the large majority of the cases.

I know what you mean, but remember there is also other interactions that they miss out on that are a good thing.

cosmo20002 11-12-2017 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 13212312)
My gf and all 3 of her brothers where homeschooled, and I have several friends who where as well. They all have HS 'diplomas'

Socially, they range from awkward to completely inept. My friends think that the world is only 6000 years old. My gf wouldnt pass a test of 10th grade knowledge, niether would two of her brothers. She isnt stupid, she just wasnt taught anything.

Good intentions or whatever, I cant recommend.

Jesus freaks.

cosmo20002 11-12-2017 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 13212382)
No religious reasons at all. I do not like the public school system.

What is it that you don't like?

BigRedChief 11-12-2017 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 13212417)
I've never met a normal home school kid. Connections and socialization are almost more important than learning in a class

I coached little league baseball and football teams for over 10 years. I didn't have a single home schooled kid bond with his teammates. They were all lacking in basic kid skills to get along with the other kids. When to kid, be serious and just make small talk with the other kids. That's just my experience.

vailpass 11-12-2017 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 13213218)
I know what you mean, but remember there is also other interactions that they miss out on that are a good thing.

Yeah that's probably true as well.

lewdog 11-12-2017 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 13213218)

You can't shelter kids from dumbassery their entire life.

It's about learning to make choices.

jspchief 11-12-2017 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 13211890)
Any of you all have any experience with particular programs or person information/incite it would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully mom is doing the teaching.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

lewdog 11-12-2017 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 13213613)

ROFL

Great catch.

ROFL

Chief Roundup 11-12-2017 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 13213613)

This
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 13212431)
My stepmother is going to assist us 3 days a week. She is a retired teacher. Also every Friday there is a....meeting or group teaching session that has a average attendance of 25 students and then their parent or parents.
Over half of those parents all are doing this for religious type reasons and don't mind mentioning that they believe that religion should be one of the topics on the Friday meetings which it is not and I hope it stays that way.

Jewish Rabbi 11-12-2017 09:10 PM

Gets really weird when a homeschooled kid ****s his teacher.

Pablo 11-12-2017 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 13213715)
Gets really weird when a homeschooled kid ****s his teacher.

How else are they supposed to teach sex ed?