ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs If you could sign Marcus Peters tomorrow.. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=313385)

pugsnotdrugs19 01-20-2018 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 13372459)
No. Peters is one you get his best "WAR" years on the cheap rookie deal and then let him go. He is a player I wouldn't trust with a big money salary.

Hmm. I disagree.

He seems like one of the guys who cares A LOT about the game, winning, being good, etc. I think it's instinctual for him. Don't see him slowing down. He is who he is, raw, competitive. Real.

New World Order 01-20-2018 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13372455)
I can't believe the guy who is constantly saying that ''defense wins championships" is opposed to the idea of having a cheap QB and using money towards, guess what.... the defense.

LMAO

Picks too.

I've always asked him about this and I never get a straight answer.

jaa1025 01-20-2018 08:27 PM

No. No and no.

Not even considering his antics and his dramatic drop in play.

Why pay him 90 over 5 years when you can have him 2 years on his rookie contract and tag him twice for a total of 4 years for a total for roughly 45 million (with franchise tags)? If you do 5 for 90, it's likely a 3 year deal with the last two years higher cap hit as well where you are forced to either restructure or cut. If it's not back loaded then you just destroyed the cap for this year and next on a team with many holes in the defense.

You really only want to extend early if it benefits the club. This, would no way, benefit the club.

pugsnotdrugs19 01-20-2018 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 13372464)
Picks too.

I've always asked him about this and I never get a straight answer.

There's no good answer to give, and he knows that...

CaliforniaChief 01-20-2018 08:34 PM

Yes. Insane talent/ability. Can continue to grow up.

And I think he'd sign it in a heartbeat. Consider where he's come from.

RunKC 01-20-2018 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13372455)
I can't believe the guy who is constantly saying that ''defense wins championships" is opposed to the idea of having a cheap QB and using money towards, guess what.... the defense.

LMAO

Tiger? You gonna respond this? LMAO

ChiefsCountry 01-20-2018 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13372463)
Hmm. I disagree.

He seems like one of the guys who cares A LOT about the game, winning, being good, etc. I think it's instinctual for him. Don't see him slowing down. He is who he is, raw, competitive. Real.

Actually the best move would be to be franchise him for two years. He would be 29 when he is done. Best years would be over and the Chiefs could move on.

pugsnotdrugs19 01-20-2018 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 13372501)
Actually the best move would be to be franchise him for two years. He would be 29 when he is done. Best years would be over and the Chiefs could move on.

It sounds nice in theory but that could open a whole other can of worms. Look at the Steelers and their situation with Bell, who says he will retire before playing under the tag for a 2nd time (which I doubt but he could sit out 10+ games).

As stubborn and independent as Peters can be, a lot of animosity could be sparked if they start playing hardball with him. No one has been more productive and reliable for us outside of maybe Kelce the past three years.

bigjosh 01-20-2018 09:03 PM

I like Marcus, but Im not down with paying him that much though. Time to start reinvesting in that position in the draft if that is how much 22 is going to cost. Too much to fix on this defense to be dropping 18M a year on a corner.

|Zach| 01-20-2018 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaa1025 (Post 13372465)
No. No and no.

Not even considering his antics and his dramatic drop in play.

Why pay him 90 over 5 years when you can have him 2 years on his rookie contract and tag him twice for a total of 4 years for a total for roughly 45 million (with franchise tags)? If you do 5 for 90, it's likely a 3 year deal with the last two years higher cap hit as well where you are forced to either restructure or cut. If it's not back loaded then you just destroyed the cap for this year and next on a team with many holes in the defense.

You really only want to extend early if it benefits the club. This, would no way, benefit the club.

lol

suzzer99 01-20-2018 09:14 PM

I dunno, dude is kind of a head case and hasn't really seemed to mature at all. If anything he's regressed. I think there's a big risk you're going to have an LJ-monster on your hands when he does get paid. I'd franchise him one year and let him walk, hopefully get a good comp pick out of it.

PAChiefsGuy 01-20-2018 09:16 PM

No. Guy is an unpredictable nutcase... God only knows how that idiot is going to act once he gets paid millions and millions of dollars. Too risky.

Let him walk. Defense did fine without him against the Raiders. He isn't worth a huge contract.

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-20-2018 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13372335)
to a 5-year $90M contract, would you want the Chiefs to do it?

I bring this up because it is an incredibly tough choice the Chiefs are having to ponder now. The highest paid corner in the league, Josh Norman, makes $15M per year. I am only estimating, but I would bet that extending Peters will take roughly $18M per year.

I think I would actually do it if I was Veach, and here is why. The sooner we can get it out of the way, the better. We're just buying back prime years. If they extend him now for 5 seasons, he will be 30 years old during the last season of the contract, his 9th NFL season.

Despite the occasional on-field antics, this kid has forced 25 turnovers (19 INTs, 6 FFs) in his first three regular seasons (46 games). TWENTY-FIVE. Absolutely incredible. Good for a turnover more than every other game. He's also had 2 INTs in his 4 playoff games.

I thought after the Jets game, when all hell had broke loose, that we should trade him. But, it seems like his teammates love him, so I don't think he is a 'cancer' by any means. Just very competitive.

Thoughts?

Agreed.

Haters can hate, but talent is talent and I'll be good and ****ed before I let Chucky swoop in and take it from my ****ing team.

NJChiefsFan 01-20-2018 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzzer99 (Post 13372518)
I dunno, dude is kind of a head case and hasn't really seemed to mature at all. If anything he's regressed. I think there's a big risk you're going to have an LJ-monster on your hands when he does get paid. I'd franchise him one year and let him walk, hopefully get a good comp pick out of it.

You don't think he handled his suspension maturely? I certainly wouldn't call that regression. He will grow up eventually. I'm all in.

suzzer99 01-20-2018 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 13372536)
You don't think he handled his suspension maturely? I certainly wouldn't call that regression. He will grow up eventually. I'm all in.

I'm gonna need to see a little more than that. He got punished and he settled down for a few games. That doesn't mean he's magically mature now.