ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Frazod's Great Technology Leap of 2023 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=349973)

Frazod 08-29-2023 09:24 PM

So either the hard drive is dead or the SSD is dead. Either way, shit ain't getting fixed tonight.

And I'm now out of southern. Fairly hammerred right now. Switching to rum, just because it's within reach.

And people wonder why I ****ing hate computers.

https://i.imgur.com/UQKrvcx.gif?noredirect

Buehler445 08-29-2023 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17079500)
So either the hard drive is dead or the SSD is dead. Either way, shit ain't getting fixed tonight.

And I'm now out of southern. Fairly hammerred right now. Switching to rum, just because it's within reach.

And people wonder why I ****ing hate computers.

https://i.imgur.com/UQKrvcx.gif?noredirect

Shoot that thing into the sun.

Does she need a shitload of capacity? Maybe just go buy her a new one.

Frazod 08-29-2023 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 17079574)
Shoot that thing into the sun.

Does she need a shitload of capacity? Maybe just go buy her a new one.

I just spent two grand on a new one; the last thing I want to do is buy another computer. The whole idea was I wasn't supposed to spend shit on the old one I'm handing down to her. :banghead:

This whole thing is just maddening. No, she doesn't a shitload of capacity. But she does need her own computer, and the really old one is so far gone there's no point in trying to salvage it. Can't even upgrade the OS because of the way it was built (something about a partition that interfered with the free Windows update), so it's running on 7 and hasn't had support for a couple of years now. The newer one either has a bad SSD or a bad motherboard (or the way my luck is running, both). If it's the SSD, I'll need to purchase a new OS and reload EVERYTHING. If it's the motherboard, I'll need to replace that, which will a require complete rebuild. Either way it's a huge pain in the ass. And the odds of two major components failing at the same time are really low, but I hit that shitty jackpot all the same.

At least I won't be hungover in the morning. I drank so much so fast that I'm basically sober now. But I'll still be pissed.

lawrenceRaider 08-30-2023 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17078490)
I don't play anything online. Gaming is me time, not us time.

Cool.

lawrenceRaider 08-30-2023 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17079579)
I just spent two grand on a new one; the last thing I want to do is buy another computer. The whole idea was I wasn't supposed to spend shit on the old one I'm handing down to her. :banghead:

This whole thing is just maddening. No, she doesn't a shitload of capacity. But she does need her own computer, and the really old one is so far gone there's no point in trying to salvage it. Can't even upgrade the OS because of the way it was built (something about a partition that interfered with the free Windows update), so it's running on 7 and hasn't had support for a couple of years now. The newer one either has a bad SSD or a bad motherboard (or the way my luck is running, both). If it's the SSD, I'll need to purchase a new OS and reload EVERYTHING. If it's the motherboard, I'll need to replace that, which will a require complete rebuild. Either way it's a huge pain in the ass. And the odds of two major components failing at the same time are really low, but I hit that shitty jackpot all the same.

At least I won't be hungover in the morning. I drank so much so fast that I'm basically sober now. But I'll still be pissed.

Shoot man, just snag her a Chrome laptop. Cheap, and they work well with a decent internet connection.

BleedingRed 08-30-2023 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 17079499)
This thread reminds me of the time it took me 2 years to convince my parents to get real internet and understand how easy streaming can be.

I moved my grandparents to FireSticks because they could talk to the remote

Buehler445 08-30-2023 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 17079728)
Shoot man, just snag her a Chrome laptop. Cheap, and they work well with a decent internet connection.

Yeah. Even if it isnt, I’m guessing a lower end desktop can be had for $500, and if a Mobo or SSD is 300 and your time is worth anything it’s probably a wash. Plus you don’t have to wait on parts or risk it being something else ****ing dumb.

Frazod 08-30-2023 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 17079499)
This thread reminds me of the time it took me 2 years to convince my parents to get real internet and understand how easy streaming can be.

This wasn't me not wanting to upgrade to better internet. There simply wasn't anything better available until recently. Which is really strange considering where I live.

Frazod 08-30-2023 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 17079968)
Yeah. Even if it isnt, I’m guessing a lower end desktop can be had for $500, and if a Mobo or SSD is 300 and your time is worth anything it’s probably a wash. Plus you don’t have to wait on parts or risk it being something else ****ing dumb.

New SSD ordered. Assuming its the drive and not the motherboard, this should be resolved on Friday. Too much time and effort dedicated to fixing the goddamn thing at this point to simply punt.

Frazod 08-30-2023 11:27 AM

First firestick has been delivered. So now I'm going to start ****ing around with that. I'm also kind of hungover. This should be fun.

Buehler445 08-30-2023 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17079988)
New SSD ordered. Assuming its the drive and not the motherboard, this should be resolved on Friday. Too much time and effort dedicated to fixing the goddamn thing at this point to simply punt.

You and I have different views on hardware and sunk costs.

Granted I use mine mostly for business, but I have a quick trigger on this shit. I don’t have a ton of room in my life for ducking with computers. I start really looking at the performance of the machine at 2 years. If it’s not giving me shit I’ll do 3 but sometimes just 2 years, and then I wipe them and install office and Dropbox and they go to the tractors.

The manufacturers make them to be disposable so I oblige.

Frazod 08-30-2023 01:07 PM

Firestick installed in the bedroom TV. Pain in the ass dealing with passwords, but I've got most of the apps I already had loaded. Playing with the Alexa thing, which I don't like and would never use for anything but the TV. Going to go ahead and order another one for the downstairs TV. Since the den TV is hooked up to my primary computer, I'm not going to bother getting one for it.

I figure the next week or so should be a real pain for us, but after that it should be fine. Probably a couple of days away from cancelling DTV. That will be a relief.

gh4chiefs 08-30-2023 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17080225)
Firestick installed in the bedroom TV

Just out of curiosity, why did you go with Firestick over Roku for example. I used to be deep in the Amazon ecosystem but I hate how they’ve messed with the interface over the years.

At one point I had the Recast for an OTA DVR, it worked good but it kept losing connection with my home network and was a ROYAL pain in the ass to reconnect. Eventually I gave up on it and started moving away from Firestick.

EPodolak 08-30-2023 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17080225)
Firestick installed in the bedroom TV. Pain in the ass dealing with passwords, but I've got most of the apps I already had loaded. Playing with the Alexa thing, which I don't like and would never use for anything but the TV. Going to go ahead and order another one for the downstairs TV. Since the den TV is hooked up to my primary computer, I'm not going to bother getting one for it.

I figure the next week or so should be a real pain for us, but after that it should be fine. Probably a couple of days away from cancelling DTV. That will be a relief.

Will probably back off of Directv myself soon. I'm attached to it though, it's all we've used the last twenty years. In fact I may just suspend it until football season is over, we still really like it.

Frazod 08-30-2023 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gh4chiefs (Post 17081020)
Just out of curiosity, why did you go with Firestick over Roku for example. I used to be deep in the Amazon ecosystem but I hate how they’ve messed with the interface over the years.

At one point I had the Recast for an OTA DVR, it worked good but it kept losing connection with my home network and was a ROYAL pain in the ass to reconnect. Eventually I gave up on it and started moving away from Firestick.

Firestick was the one I was familiar with and had heard people talk about. That's pretty much it.