ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Game of Thrones (spoiler-free zone) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=244344)

BigRedChief 04-02-2012 08:52 PM

okay who's up for a non book reading thread? Just re-watched the first season and picked up on a lot of things I missed the first time that fleshed out the story and background.

I've not seen the first episode but the same media center rules should apply here. Any talk of aired episodes is fair game but no future spoilers without spoiler tags.

I still don't see the need to have the Lannisters behave so horribly. Why do we have to hate them so much? But they do have to cut the head off a Lannister for some payback. The stud and imp are too good of story lines, the King is too obvious so I say Dad or the Queen. :hmmm:

KcMizzou 04-02-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8513270)
okay who's up for a non book reading thread?

Good lord man, how many GoT threads do we need???

KC_Connection 04-03-2012 01:09 AM

A non-book reading thread? Isn't that what this is basically? A non-spoilers place for people to talk about the show GoT that haven't read the books?

keg in kc 04-03-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8514305)
A non-book reading thread? Isn't that what this is basically? A non-spoilers place for people to talk about the show GoT that haven't read the books?

Yep. That's exactly what this thread is.

vailpass 04-03-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8513270)
okay who's up for a non book reading thread? Just re-watched the first season and picked up on a lot of things I missed the first time that fleshed out the story and background.

I've not seen the first episode but the same media center rules should apply here. Any talk of aired episodes is fair game but no future spoilers without spoiler tags.

I still don't see the need to have the Lannisters behave so horribly. Why do we have to hate them so much? But they do have to cut the head off a Lannister for some payback. The stud and imp are too good of story lines, the King is too obvious so I say Dad or the Queen. :hmmm:

Give this man a hand!

kcxiv 04-03-2012 05:42 PM

Got massive ratings 3.9 millin and a 2.0 in the demo.

Not bad GOT

BigRedChief 04-03-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 8513833)
Good lord man, how many GoT threads do we need???

At least one more. :rolleyes:

keg in kc 04-03-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8515887)
At least one more. :rolleyes:

Not sure if serious.

mnchiefsguy 04-03-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 8515795)
Got massive ratings 3.9 millin and a 2.0 in the demo.

Not bad GOT

Pretty much guaranteed another season, maybe two with that strong showing. GOT smoked Mad Men and The Killing that night, hopefully they can keep it up all season long.

NewChief 04-03-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 8516125)
Pretty much guaranteed another season, maybe two with that strong showing. GOT smoked Mad Men and The Killing that night, hopefully they can keep it up all season long.

They won't, imo. They were offering HBO for free on most providers that night. I was able to watch on the TV, which I usually can't.

mnchiefsguy 04-03-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8516133)
They won't, imo. They were offering HBO for free on most providers that night. I was able to watch on the TV, which I usually can't.

Yeah, I doubt they can keep up that rating. I was saying that hopefully they can continue to outperform Mad Men and The Killing...those two shows are on non-premium cable channels, so if GOT can continue to outpace them, it will be good for the show.

underEJ 04-03-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8516133)

Just an fyi, in the past, no viewers from a free preview were counted by nielsen's for a premium cable show. I have an hbo producer friend and can try to confirm that remains the same today.

NewChief 04-03-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underEJ (Post 8516160)
Just an fyi, in the past, no viewers from a free preview were counted by nielsen's for a premium cable show. I have an hbo producer friend and can try to confirm that remains the same today.

Ahh, interesting.

mnchiefsguy 04-03-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underEJ (Post 8516160)

Wow...that would make that number even more impressive.

keg in kc 04-03-2012 08:23 PM

I don't think they need to artificially increase their numbers. It was more viewers than last season's finale, but not a crazy number.

If the first four eps are as good as purported, they shouldn't have any problems with their audience.

BigRedChief 04-03-2012 09:20 PM

Watched the first episode. How many different factions can be at war with everyone else? Makes no sense. It's not logical. They need to band together and qucik ****ing around. Lannisters vs. Starks. Let the heads roll.

And we need more titties, not babies being killed, too damn bibical for me,

KcMizzou 04-03-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8516368)
Watched the first episode. How many different factions can be at war with everyone else? Makes no sense. It's not logical. They need to band together and qucik ****ing around. Lannisters vs. Starks. Let the heads roll.

It's a power vacuum. Nobody's sure who's in charge, so every faction decides they should be. Meanwhile, the real threat is up north of the wall.

keg in kc 04-03-2012 09:29 PM

The ironic thing about it making no sense is that (this doesn't spoil anything in any way...) Martin based much of the intrigue on real life events in medieval england. So it may not make sense in what we're used to seeing in fantasy or fiction in general, but it makes total sense in real world terms.

Pasta Little Brioni 04-04-2012 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8515729)
Give this man a hand!

:)

Hawk 04-04-2012 08:06 AM

It makes sense, people will make a power grab if they can, that's human nature. Plus the seven kingdoms in the show used to be separate until the Targaryans and their dragons defeated them all and made them into one kingdom. Not surprising that there might be different people vying for power when the named king (Joffrey) is rightly suspected of being a bastard and not a true heir or king. As the poster above mentioned, if you read English medieval history, there is much real world precedent for these types of events and civil wars, especially the War of the Roses.

KChiefer 04-04-2012 08:25 AM

Even if GoT doesn't keep a record setting pace, it's here for the long haul. Everyone I've ever mentioned the show to has eventually started watching and enjoying it. Everyone except my sister. SHE HAS HBO, WTF? Start watching that shit already!

@BigRedChief. If you want more tits less baby killing, ep 2 is for you! I counted 6-8 breasts and 1 reverse cowgirl ass. While I'm not huge on Ros being written into the show, she does get a rise outta me!

Lastly, I think we DO need another GoT thread for episodes that leak online before they air. :p
I wanna comment more on ep 2, but don't wanna piss ppl off.

Molitoth 04-04-2012 08:33 AM

So I just watched S2 E1 last night. It had been awhile since I watched season 1, so I had a little bit of difficulty picking up where it left off. (I wish they would've done like a 3 minute recap of season 1 before the episode aired).

After discussion with the wife, we put our brains together and remembered what happened.
Then we sat and watched,... wondering WTF was going on. Like someone mentioned before, there are so many factions now, it's hard telling which is which. I'm sure its much easier for those whom have read the books.

I DO know that I fucking hate Geoffrey, and can't wait to see that little prick dead. The actor that plays that role is great though, because he really makes me hate him.
Normally the baby killing scene wouldn't bother me, but now that I have my own little girl,.. that scene put a knot in my stomach. The human race is fucked up.

I'm a big fan of Jon Snow, and hope he develops into someone badass.
Tyrius (sp?) is still the best character in the show at this point, he's hilarious.

allen_kcCard 04-04-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefer (Post 8516926)
I wanna comment more on ep 2, but don't wanna piss ppl off.

Spoiler it with a comment that it is about an unaired episode.

NewChief 04-04-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 8516956)
Normally the baby killing scene wouldn't bother me, but now that I have my own little girl,.. that scene put a knot in my stomach. The human race is fucked up.

Heh. Prepare to experience this often. I used to watch and read the most gruesome shit without batting an eye. Now almost everything I watch or read is viewed through the lens of parenting.

Hell, reading Lord of the Flies with my students bothers me now because one of my sons reminds me of Piggy (he has glasses and is awkward... not fat), and I just envision my son being ostracized in that way.

KChiefer 04-04-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allen_kcCard (Post 8516960)

too. much. effort.

EPISODE 2 SPOILERS
Spoiler!

KC_Connection 04-04-2012 06:17 PM

Episode 2 is online? Shit...I know what I'm doing tonight now.

KcMizzou 04-04-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8518392)
Episode 2 is online? Shit...I know what I'm doing tonight now.

Likewise... can't resist.

CHENZ A! 04-04-2012 08:42 PM

I enjoy my Sunday nights too much to watch it now, even though I really want to see it.
Kinda weird.

BigRedChief 04-04-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allen_kcCard (Post 8516960)

yeah, no public spoilers on unaired episodes.

Baby Lee 04-04-2012 09:54 PM

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz...co1_r2_500.jpg

ROFL

Baby Lee 04-04-2012 10:03 PM

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lp...co1_r1_500.jpg

Baby Lee 04-04-2012 10:40 PM

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ln...co1_r1_500.jpg

vailpass 04-05-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 8519060)

LMAO :cuss:

Megbert 04-06-2012 09:50 AM

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/1...hic_2000px.jpg

Here's a nice infographic for GoT's.

Setsuna 04-07-2012 03:37 PM

Just ordered the first 4 books. Seeing the season 2 premiere put me over the top.

Los Pollos Hermanos 04-07-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 8524152)
Just ordered the first 4 books. Seeing the season 2 premiere put me over the top.

I bought the first 4 books last year after season 1. I just couldn't get into the first book knowing what was going to happen. So, I stopped reading. About 2 months ago, I picked up the second book and I couldn't put it down.

Setsuna 04-07-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Los Pollos Hermanos (Post 8524189)
I bought the first 4 books last year after season 1. I just couldn't get into the first book knowing what was going to happen. So, I stopped reading. About 2 months ago, I picked up the second book and I couldn't put it down.

Hmmmm...interesting. I'm more so, I finish things to completion, so I'd read the first book. I haven't seen season 1 in so long I forgot about most everything so I'm good there.

KC_Connection 04-07-2012 05:20 PM

I have all the books (have since last summer), but I haven't had time to read them yet.

Episode 2 was just as good as episode 1. Starting to get a better understanding of the Davos Seaworth character in this one.

Jawshco 04-07-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8524456)
I have all the books (have since last summer), but I haven't had time to read them yet.

Episode 2 was just as good as episode 1. Starting to get a better understanding of the Davos Seaworth character in this one.

Not as much action in episode 2, but a lot more character stuff for the fans. There's something about Littlefinger's fingers.

KcMizzou 04-08-2012 07:04 PM

GoT time. I've already watched it twice. Kinda wish I hadn't. Looking forward to comments/thoughts.

Fairplay 04-08-2012 07:30 PM

I'm rooting for the midget dude.

KcMizzou 04-08-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 8526606)

:thumb:

KC_Connection 04-08-2012 07:44 PM

I'm rooting for Jon Snow. Although Tyrion is the most interesting character on the show.

lcarus 04-08-2012 08:07 PM

I don't wanna read any of this thread in case it spoils something, but I have season 1 and am contemplating watching it tonight. How good is it? Like on a scale of 1-10? What would you compare it to?

NewChief 04-08-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 8526708)
I don't wanna read any of this thread in case it spoils something, but I have season 1 and am contemplating watching it tonight. How good is it? Like on a scale of 1-10? What would you compare it to?

As far as TV goes? It's up there with Sopranos and Deadwood in my canon. I'm biased, though.

lcarus 04-08-2012 08:11 PM

As far as the setting/characters/plot, what would it be compared to? Lord of the Rings? I honestly have no idea what the show is about.

KC_Connection 04-08-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

It's at least a 9. It's probably the best made show on television right now.

KC_Connection 04-08-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 8526725)
As far as the setting/characters/plot, what would it be compared to? Lord of the Rings? I honestly have no idea what the show is about.

It's like a cross between The Sopranos and Lord of the Rings.

KcMizzou 04-08-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Watch it. Do not read any spoilers. Just watch it.

NewChief 04-08-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 8526725)

Political machinations of Deadwood (lots of Swearingen types) with the family based loyalties of Sopranos all set in a low-fantasy medieval realm. On top of that, there's more unexpected plot twists than either of the aforementioned.

KC_Connection 04-08-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8526736)
Political machinations of Deadwood (lots of Swearingen types) with the family based loyalties of Sopranos all set in a low-fantasy medieval realm.

I've never seen Deadwood. I've planned to for a while, though.

NewChief 04-08-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8526737)

You're in for a treat with either series. Just watch the first episode of Game of Thrones. After you've watched it and you're going :eek: at the end, know that you're just starting to scrape the tip of the iceberg.

KC_Connection 04-08-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8526740)
You're in for a treat with either series. Just watch the first episode of Game of Thrones. After you've watched it and you're going :eek: at the end, know that you're just starting to scrape the tip of the iceberg.

Oh, I'm already caught up in GoT. It's awesome and I plan to read the books when I can. But I might go for Deadwood next if I find the time.

KcMizzou 04-08-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8526737)

Same here. But like Icarus... I have season one.

petegz28 04-08-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8526659)
I'm rooting for Jon Snow. Although Tyrion is the most interesting character on the show.

Tyrion is one of the most interesting characters in all the books

KC_Connection 04-08-2012 08:24 PM

What's different about GoT compared to most other shows is that there are just so many fascinating characters (and so many narratives that they are involved in). It reminds me a bit of The Wire in that way, but there are perhaps even more in this world.

No scene is also ever a throwaway...everything matters. It never gets boring because of that. The writing, direction, and locations are also fantastic, you can tell the producers put a lot of effort into it.

KcMizzou 04-08-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8526771)
What's different about GoT compared to most other shows is that there are just so many fascinating characters (and so many narratives that they are involved in). It reminds me a bit of The Wire in that way, but there are perhaps even more in this world.

No scene is also ever a throwaway...everything matters. It never gets boring because of that. The writing, direction, and locations are also fantastic, you can tell the producers put a lot of effort into it.

They really have done a fantastic job with it. Amazing casting, directing, writing, and acting.

It's the only "Event TV" for me right now.

KC_Connection 04-08-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 8526784)
They really have done a fantastic job with it. Amazing casting, directing, writing, and acting.

It's the only "Event TV" for me right now.

Yes, the acting is notably good too. They picked some proven ones, but the child actors, particularly the kid who plays the eminently hateable Joffrey, do a great job (which you rarely see on television). Of course, I don't know how closely they are to how they seem in the book, though.

KcMizzou 04-08-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8526796)
Yes, the acting is notably good too. They picked some proven ones, but the child actors, particularly the kid who plays the eminently hateable Joffrey, do a great job (which you rarely see on television). Of course, I don't know how closely they are to how they seem in the book, though.

I've read them. The young actors are perfect, IMO. Doing an amazing job.

That's rare. Young Anakin, for example.

KC_Connection 04-08-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 8526803)

Yeah, that was awful. Or the kid that plays Carl in The Walking Dead (which stands out most recently in my mind).

KcMizzou 04-08-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8526811)
Yeah, that was awful. Or the kid that plays Carl in The Walking Dead (which stands out most recently in my mind).

Ugh... exactly.

lcarus 04-08-2012 09:33 PM

I saw the very beginning of the very first episode of Deadwood. Seemed kinda boring. Incredibly small sample size though. I'll give it a chance.

Baby Lee 04-08-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 8526606)

Read somewhere from someone in the media who's seen the screeners that they're going to have to come up with something BIGGER than an Emmy for Dinklage this year.

JIMP

Baby Lee 04-08-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

If fantasy puts you off, don't be in this case. It is a fantasy setting, with long past magic and dragons simmering the 'background,' but it is essentially a saga of human nature. It's all about how personalities and personal creeds, ethos, ambitions and appetites seal fates.

The appeal of GoT/SoIaF is investing in people who think like you, or appeal to your better angels, and anguishing through their setbacks or applauding their accomplishments.

Soapish? Maybe. But GRRM has crafted characters so intricate and intimate that you get utterly swept up.

Baby Lee 04-08-2012 09:59 PM

For all those with Deadwood 'in queue' without having seen it, I am . . . jealous.

I would love nothing more than the opportunity to see Deadwood for the first time again.

There were a couple of scenes towards the end of season one, where I whooped and hollered like I hadn't since Montana/Horseface '94.

Milch, with Deadwood, is modern day Shakespeare.

Baby Lee 04-08-2012 11:18 PM

"Mother gone . . for the sake of you . . . there's no bigger joke in the world than that."

**** if Cersei didn't land the line of the night.

Bowser 04-08-2012 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 8527055)
"Mother gone . . for the sake of you . . . there's no bigger joke in the world than that."

**** if Cersei didn't land the line of the night.

Yeah, that was payback for the zinger Tyrion landed last week.

She is one cruel, twisted koont.

Setsuna 04-09-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 8526803)

Come on now. Dude matched perfectly with his older counterpart. They both sucked at acting, it had to be consistent.

Setsuna 04-09-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 8527064)
Yeah, that was payback for the zinger Tyrion landed last week.

She is one cruel, twisted koont.

I'd PIIHB.

Hawk 04-09-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 8527421)
I'd PIIHB.

Heck yeah, though I liked her better in 300 as a brunette.

Bambi 04-09-2012 03:04 PM

I want to be clear with this...

Can we talk about spoliers here for episodes that have happened but for those of us that haven't read the books?

Or is this thread just for "Man, GoT is awesome. Can't wait for tonight!?!"

Or are we time limiting spoilers of this week's episode?

keg in kc 04-09-2012 03:08 PM

As long as the episode has aired, you can talk about whatever you want. No spoiling there. I'd probably avoid talking about episodes that have leaked online, though.

kcxiv 04-09-2012 03:10 PM

3.8 million. Only down a little from the season premiere. Thats REALLY damned good.

Braincase 04-09-2012 03:17 PM

DO THE WHOLE BLOODY SERIES!

Bambi 04-09-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8527840)
As long as the episode has aired, you can talk about whatever you want. No spoiling there. I'd probably avoid talking about episodes that have leaked online, though.

Nice, in that case I thought it was hot when my man was fingerin his sister.

Hawk 04-09-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8527857)

Haha, not where I expected you to go, but okay.

That whole scene with his sister was excellent in the book. They chopped it back pretty good in the show, but still good.

Theon is such a twerp, it was funny to see him get nothing like the homecoming he was expecting...or thought he deserved.

Setsuna 04-09-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8527857)

I admit it was hot until I found out it was his sister. The thing is, that chick isn't even like...I don't know how to say it. The bad part is, she knew they were related and didn't say a thing. That's messed up.

kcxiv 04-09-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 8527879)
I admit it was hot until I found out it was his sister. The thing is, that chick isn't even like...I don't know how to say it. The bad part is, she knew they were related and didn't say a thing. That's messed up.

she knew that was the way to get to him. its gross, but them people back then were pretty scandalous lol. Me and my bro in law were watching and when they said they were bro n sis, he let out a big ass groan. haha i was laughing.

NewChief 04-09-2012 03:44 PM

Speaking of... I'm not crazy about the casting for Asha. I imagined her as being a little more angular or something. That actress looked almost soft.

Though she does kind of look like a Tomboy jock, so I suppose that's correct. I just imagined her being a little more feral looking or something.

Setsuna 04-09-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8527898)
Speaking of... I'm not crazy about the casting for Asha. I imagined her as being a little more angular or something. That actress looked almost soft.

Though she does kind of look like a Tomboy jock, so I suppose that's correct. I just imagined her being a little more feral looking or something.

If tomboyish is what she was then I think they did well with it. And don't worry, just put her in some battle armor and cover her with blood and you'll see what you're looking for.