ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2014 Royals Repository (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=279729)

Anyong Bluth 12-27-2013 05:15 PM

Was looking through the clubs moves and can't remember who the player was but we offered them minor league assignment to stay with the organization, but they passed and signed with a Japanese club which I found amusing, only wish they had a cooler logo and I would have been interested in picking up a hat or t-shirt, etc.

The Hokkaido Nippon-
Ham Fighters

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/28/y6era2e7.jpg

Prison Bitch 12-27-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10312721)
I see a lot more Daisuke Matsuzaka (control guy who throws a lot of pitches but doesn't haven't dynamite stuff) than Yu Darvish.

HIs stuff was absolutely dynamite his first couple years in MLB.

CoMoChief 12-27-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10313294)
HIs stuff was absolutely dynamite his first couple years in MLB.

Well...people started to figure him out....and then of course he got injured a lot.

But yeah that first yr or 2...he was dominant. Didn't last long...kinda like Hideo Nomo or whatever his name is.

BlackHelicopters 12-27-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 10313296)
Well...people started to figure him out....and then of course he got injured a lot.

But yeah that first yr or 2...he was dominant. Didn't last long...kinda like Hideo Nomo or whatever his name is.

Seems like he out of shape and never got back in.

alnorth 12-27-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 10312697)
Alnorth and duncan - weigh in: Is tanaka worth the risk?

No. Given that Japanese star-level players tend to want to play in the coasts or Texas, we'd have to blow away every other offer to make him come to the midwest, and even a competitive offer would be too risky for KC given our resources.

edit: to be clear, since we don't actually have to pay the posting fee to talk to him (the old rules said we couldn't even talk to the guy unless we won the bid), someone in the Royals front office ought to have a chat with his agent just in case he freakishly comes from a long line of asian Royals fans and no one ever found out about it, but as soon as its clear that we can't get him, hang up the phone and never talk about it again.

Three7s 12-27-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 10313421)
No. Given that Japanese star-level players tend to want to play in the coasts or Texas, we'd have to blow away every other offer to make him come to the midwest, and even a competitive offer would be too risky for KC given our resources.

edit: to be clear, since we don't actually have to pay the posting fee to talk to him (the old rules said we couldn't even talk to the guy unless we won the bid), someone in the Royals front office ought to have a chat with his agent just in case he freakishly comes from a long line of asian Royals fans and no one ever found out about it, but as soon as its clear that we can't get him, hang up the phone and never talk about it again.

Maybe he's best buds with Norichika Aoki? :drool:

WhawhaWhat 12-27-2013 08:43 PM

First game of spring training is exactly 2 months away.

Mr. Laz 12-28-2013 06:46 PM

Kansas City Star ‏@KCStar 1m
The Royals sign infielder Jason Donald and outfielder Melky Mesa to minor-league contracts. More soon at http://www.kansascity.com/royals .
Expand

cabletech94 12-28-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 10314769)
Kansas City Star ‏@KCStar 1m
The Royals sign infielder Jason Donald and outfielder Melky Mesa to minor-league contracts. More soon at http://www.kansascity.com/royals .
Expand

never trust a man w/ 2 first names. well, hopefully this melky doesn't need adderol.;)

Simplicity 12-28-2013 07:28 PM

I'll miss Ervin this year.

alnorth 12-30-2013 11:14 AM

Salvador Perez has spent almost all his time in winter ball playing 1B.

Whenever we get rid of Butler (probably next year), between DH and 1B hopefully he'll be able to field 1B well enough to play almost every day.

Great Expectations 12-30-2013 11:56 AM

Moose dominated the Venenzuela league where his hitting coach was his team's manager.

.288/.360/.515

Coach 12-30-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 10321479)
Salvador Perez has spent almost all his time in winter ball playing 1B.

Whenever we get rid of Butler (probably next year), between DH and 1B hopefully he'll be able to field 1B well enough to play almost every day.

If that happens, then who becomes the Catcher? I understand this move to prolong Perez's playing career, and I'm all for that, I just would miss his defensive skills at home plate, not to mention a laser of a arm...

-King- 12-30-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 10321716)
If that happens, then who becomes the Catcher? I understand this move to prolong Perez's playing career, and I'm all for that, I just would miss his defensive skills at home plate, not to mention a laser of a arm...

Aren't we talking just once a week or so though? Shouldn't be extremely hard to find someone to fill in.

alnorth 12-30-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 10321716)

I didn't say that he was going to make a full-time move to 1B anytime soon. He'll be catching for the entire length of his current contract, his value plummets if he goes elsewhere on the field.

Full-time catchers can only play about 130 games. If Perez can also play 1B and if Butler is cleared out of DH, then we can get those other 30 games out of Perez.

WhawhaWhat 12-30-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 10321601)
Moose dominated the Venenzuela league where his hitting coach was his team's manager.

his Daddy?

BigCatDaddy 12-30-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 10321601)

.288/.360/.515

Now lets see how he does in the California penal league.

Simplicity 12-30-2013 01:08 PM

Just curious... After looking at the FA's left... Am I missing something or why are we not thinking about Garza or Ubaldo? We'd have a sick rotation.

Great Expectations 12-30-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 10321812)
his Daddy?

Pedro Grifol, I think Hosmer uses his Daddy/Brother.

Nightfyre 12-30-2013 01:16 PM

Fire Yost, make Grifol manager! The campaign starts here.

Fansy the Famous Bard 12-30-2013 01:46 PM

http://theleanmeanbean.files.wordpre...for-pedro.jpeg

Nightfyre 12-30-2013 01:48 PM

Nice. You just took this campaign to the next level.

alnorth 12-30-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplicity (Post 10321839)
Just curious... After looking at the FA's left... Am I missing something or why are we not thinking about Garza or Ubaldo? We'd have a sick rotation.

Our 2014 payroll is now going to be over $94MM. Both of those guys want big 4-5 year deals.

DJ's left nut 12-30-2013 02:54 PM

Because Garza isn't very good and Ubaldo's a huge wild card.

Seriously, I just don't understand the Matt Garza thing. He's a 2-pitch pitcher with a pretty straight fastball (with velocity that's been heading steadily downhill the last several years). He's not terribly durable. He's not a staff leader kind of personality. He was acquired to help the Rangers get over the hump and he largely spit the bit.

He's probably a 4.00 ERA guy. The Royals could get that down a little by virtue of their defense, but if you're going to have to give him 4 years and $55-60 million, you'd be far better served going dumpster diving and using your defense to help out a much smaller ticket item (this is what Dave Duncan did with Cardinals pitchers for much of the early/mid 2000s).

Garza's just not a smart signing for a team that has to worry about a budget. There's nothing but downside in the deal, IMO.

alnorth 12-31-2013 10:40 AM

Apparently the Yankees plan to blow through the $2-2.5MM limit on bonuses for international players (mostly 15-16 year olds), and spend somewhere around $15MM on them next offseason, because it won't impact their goal to get under $189MM on payroll, and the penalties for blowing through the cap on draft bonuses are too steep.

If they do that, they will pay a 100% tax on those international bonuses, and they will be prohibited from giving any international player more than a $300k bonus for 2 years, so they'd really need to make it count. (If MLB chooses to go to an international draft in 2015, then the penalty will change to forfeiting their 1st round pick for 2 years)

Nightfyre 12-31-2013 10:46 AM

I wish we would have signed Sano. There were only two teams in on him and he went for like 3.2 mil. :shake: Where are our DR scouts GMDM?

duncan_idaho 12-31-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 10323981)
I wish we would have signed Sano. There were only two teams in on him and he went for like 3.2 mil. :shake: Where are our DR scouts GMDM?

Hindsight at play.

There were a lot of questions about Sano when he was a FA. His age was widely called into question. He wanted record international money to sign (initially). Some questioned his ability to hit for average - his power was always evident.

Nightfyre 12-31-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10324088)
Hindsight at play.

There were a lot of questions about Sano when he was a FA. His age was widely called into question. He wanted record international money to sign (initially). Some questioned his ability to hit for average - his power was always evident.

Eh. I recently watched a documentary on the subject, can't recall the name. The documentary made it pretty clear that he was not fabricating his age, but that information was being buried by an MLB inspector who was involved with the Pirates scout down there.

cabletech94 12-31-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 10324247)
Eh. I recently watched a documentary on the subject, can't recall the name. The documentary made it pretty clear that he was not fabricating his age, but that information was being buried by an MLB inspector who was involved with the Pirates scout down there.

not being sarcastic here, but can you elaborate on the "an MLB inspector who was involved with the Pirates scout down there".

is there something more to that, or did i read that statement wrong?

Nightfyre 12-31-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabletech94 (Post 10324451)
not being sarcastic here, but can you elaborate on the "an MLB inspector who was involved with the Pirates scout down there".

is there something more to that, or did i read that statement wrong?

The MLB inspector in the DR who was investigating Sano's age was basically telling Sano to sign with the Pirates and he would make the whole investigation go away. At least, that was the documentary's assertion.

Despite the fact that the MLB had bonescans, DNA tests, appropriate birth documentation, and schooling documentation, the MLB investigator did not confirm Sano's age. It appeared to be totally underhanded and unethical.

Nightfyre 12-31-2013 02:59 PM

The documentary is available on netflix and was definitely worth watching.

Ballplayer: Pelotero

alnorth 01-02-2014 11:13 AM

Anyone want to put up their super-early predictions? We all can reserve the right to change our minds up to the end of spring training.

Last year I said they were roughly an 85-86 win team and would barely miss the 2nd wild card. I do not believe the Royals over or underachieved (though they were unusually healthy), a few players did well and a few did poorly but overall it was pretty much as expected. (Though if you want to be glass half-full, throw away May and look how good the record is then)

I believe that on paper, if there are no other significant moves, then the Royals have improved by about 3 games even with the Loss of Santana. Replacing our 2B black hole with a credible hitter makes an enormous difference, and we also won't have to watch a few months of Frenchy. Vargas probably helps mitigate some of the loss in the rotation. Those moves are probably worth about 4 wins, and I knock one win back off by assuming we won't be as lucky with the DL this season; someone important will miss some time.

So, 88-89 wins. I also think the Tigers got worse on paper, but it won't be quite enough. (though this season we won't need to be quite as lucky to catch them as we needed in 2013) The division race will not be lost until September, the Royals will grab the last wild card and play for the right to face whoever the best team in the AL ends up being in the ALDS, probably Texas.

duncan_idaho 01-02-2014 11:21 AM

Prediction for next year:

Offense makes strong improvements due to following factors...
  • Gordon and Butler rebound
  • Hosmer continues to hit for the entire season the way he did from June 1 on
  • Better production out of leadoff spot (Gordon produced just a .320 OBP in that spot)
  • Fewer holes in the lineup

This offsets a small step back in the starting pitching from the No. 2 spot (2013 Santana vs. 2014 Vargas). Vargas performs at slightly better than his career averages, pitching in KC and with that defense behind him, to post a 3.80 ERA and 1.20 WHIP. Both numbers trump Santana, who has a fall-back year for the team that signs him. Shields and Guthrie are themselves.

The starting pitching also is improved at the 4 and 5 spots, with one of the young pitchers (Duffy, Ventura or Zimmer) providing a major upgrade over what was received out of those spots in 2013.

Overall: I'll call 91-71. It's aggressive, but I think the offense has improved more than many think and I think the starting pitching takes a smaller step back than many think.

Saul Good 01-02-2014 11:25 AM

I want to know how much production we get from 3b, SS, and 2b. It has to get better, right? Right?

bsp4444 01-02-2014 11:31 AM

Two positive predictions from two of my favorite Royals posters. I, too, think the offense will rebound and the pitching will not suffer too badly. I wonder how much better the Indians will be, though...

duncan_idaho 01-02-2014 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10328244)
I want to know how much production we get from 3b, SS, and 2b. It has to get better, right? Right?

Can't get much worse at any of those spots.

Infante at 2B is an upgrade over a full season from what they get a year ago. I'm not sure he hits .300 for KC, but I'd feel good about his ability to hit .280 and OPS .725. Considering KC got a .243/.296/.304 line from its 2B in 2013, that's a HUGE upgrade.

At SS, I think/hope we've seen Escobar's floor. His line doesn't kill you if he's hitting 9th. In fact, he was pretty solid while hitting 9th in the lineup .282/.297/.352. Those aren't all-star numbers, but paired with his defense, they're just fine. He's a career .282/.298/.369 hitter out of the 9th spot. That would be about an 80 point boost over what you got out him in 2013.

And as for 3B... Moustakas also really can't be much worse, and they have significant insurance for him should he falter again. They have avoided the situation they started 2013 with, where they had no viable alternatives to Moustakas in the organization.

Danny Valencia is a strong option against LHP at 3B, which is one of Moustakas's biggest weaknesses. He also could play everyday if needed.

Bonifacio also provides nice flexibility at 3B, now that he isn't pigeon-holed at 2B.

I really think they get better production out of all three spots.

alnorth 01-02-2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10328230)
The starting pitching also is improved at the 4 and 5 spots, with one of the young pitchers (Duffy, Ventura or Zimmer) providing a major upgrade over what was received out of those spots in 2013.

Overall: I'll call 91-71. It's aggressive, but I think the offense has improved more than many think and I think the starting pitching takes a smaller step back than many think.

Yeah, if 1 or 2 of the young guys blow up, they can easily carry us up to at least 91 wins, and that could be enough to possibly win the division if the Tigers take a step back as expected (hoped).

duncan_idaho 01-02-2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsp4444 (Post 10328257)
Two positive predictions from two of my favorite Royals posters. I, too, think the offense will rebound and the pitching will not suffer too badly. I wonder how much better the Indians will be, though...

I don't know that Cleveland will really be improved. I think they're a little worse.

I expect Asdrubal Cabrera to bounce back and be better than he was in 2013, when he was terrible. But Bourn and Swisher are both older guys and carry no guarantee of a return to form.

The pitching staff is noticeably worse without Jimenez, who was their ace down the stretch, and Kazmir, who was a solid back-end guy.

Unless Cleveland does something unexpected - like signing Masahiro Tanaka - that team takes a step back, IMO.

duncan_idaho 01-02-2014 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 10328357)
Yeah, if 1 or 2 of the young guys blow up, they can easily carry us up to at least 91 wins, and that could be enough to possibly win the division if the Tigers take a step back as expected (hoped).

Yeah. People forget that last year's rotation carried 204 1/3 shitty innings from Wade Davis and Luis Mendoza in the 4/5 spots (or about 2/3 of the IP you expect from your 4/5 starters).

Collectively, the Royals got this line from the 4/5 starters (includes Davis, Mendoza, Chen - who was good but not great - Duffy, Ventura and Will Smith):

335 1/3 IP
173 ER
4.64 ERA
496 BB/H allowed
1.48 WHIP

Worst offenders - by far - were Davis and Mendoza. 5.42 ERA and 1.66 WHIP from those guys in 204 1/3 IP as starters.

Rest of the guys combined for a 3.44 ERA and 1.27 WHIP.

There were several weights around the teams neck in 2013. Most have been eliminated (Francoeur, Getz, Mendoza) moved into less impactful/hurtful roles (Davis) or insured against (Moustakas).

SIDE NOTE: This is a great example of WHY Wade Davis should have an extremely short leash if he opens the season in the rotation, and why I'd still look at bringing in one more back-end veteran pitcher.

Saul Good 01-02-2014 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10328403)
Yeah. People forget that last year's rotation carried 204 1/3 shitty innings from Wade Davis and Luis Mendoza in the 4/5 spots (or about 2/3 of the IP you expect from your 4/5 starters).

Collectively, the Royals got this line from the 4/5 starters (includes Davis, Mendoza, Chen - who was good but not great - Duffy, Ventura and Will Smith):

335 1/3 IP
173 ER
4.64 ERA
496 BB/H allowed
1.48 WHIP

Worst offenders - by far - were Davis and Mendoza. 5.42 ERA and 1.66 WHIP from those guys in 204 1/3 IP as starters.

Rest of the guys combined for a 3.44 ERA and 1.27 WHIP.

There were several weights around the teams neck in 2013. Most have been eliminated (Francoeur, Getz, Mendoza) moved into less impactful/hurtful roles (Davis) or insured against (Moustakas).

SIDE NOTE: This is a great example of WHY Wade Davis should have an extremely short leash if he opens the season in the rotation, and why I'd still look at bringing in one more back-end veteran pitcher.

Good Lord. If ever there has been a case of addition by subtraction, you've just spelled it out. Looking at those names and their associated numbers, it's amazing we were as good as we ended up being.

Prison Bitch 01-02-2014 12:24 PM

It shows you why they paid a king's ransom for James Shields. Getting a guy to lead the AL in innings with a 3.15 ERA. Those guys are impossible to find, certainly they're impossible for our franchise to sign on the open market. Oh and this is the part where I theorize once again that Hochevar could probably out-do those numbers from our back end.

duncan_idaho 01-02-2014 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10328438)
It shows you why they paid a king's ransom for James Shields. Getting a guy to lead the AL in innings with a 3.15 ERA. Those guys are impossible to find, certainly they're impossible for our franchise to sign on the open market. Oh and this is the part where I theorize once again that Hochevar could probably out-do those numbers from our back end.

Luke Hochevar's career line as a starting pitcher:
5.44 ERA
1.41 WHIP
758 1/3 IP.
812 Hits allowed
254 BB

Luke Hochevar is what he is as a starting pitcher: Not good. Terrible, in fact. Flirting with being the worst SP in major league history to throw as many innings as he was allowed to throw.

Prison Bitch 01-02-2014 02:03 PM

We've already discussed FIP data and the writeup from the Boston blogger who noted his pitch selection changes..... and you said it doesn't apply to him. That's where we left it, agree to disagree style.

Chiefspants 01-02-2014 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10328545)
Luke Hochevar's career line as a starting pitcher:
5.44 ERA
1.41 WHIP
758 1/3 IP.
812 Hits allowed
254 BB

Luke Hochevar is what he is as a starting pitcher: Not good. Terrible, in fact. Flirting with being the worst SP in major league history to throw as many innings as he was allowed to throw.

ROFL

Chiefspants 01-02-2014 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10328673)
We've already discussed FIP data and the writeup from the Boston blogger who noted his pitch selection changes..... and you said it doesn't apply to him. That's where we left it, agree to disagree style.

Yeah, history suggests Hoch would revert ala Wade Davis.

However, I do hope a rival executive shares your optimism.

(Note: I'd love it for Hoch to prove me wrong here, but I highly doubt that occurs)

duncan_idaho 01-02-2014 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10328673)

I bought the "pitch selection" changes argument once before on Hochevar, and that was with a pitch mix much more aligned with success as a starting pitcher (fastball-slider is much more commonly successful than fastball-cutter, what he went to this season).

I said some guys can't be looked at with FIP. Some guys constantly outperform it, and some guys constantly underperform it.

FIP is a great way to explain outlier seasons. If a guy who has been good over the course of his career has a really bad year and his FIP is more in line with his traditional numbers, it helps explain the outlier. If a guy who has been bad over the course of his career has a really great year and his FIP is way higher than his traditional numbers, FIP help explains the outlier.

But when your sample size is as big as Hochevar's is at this point, it's unlikely that him UNDERPERFORMING compared to FIP is ever going to change.

I'd love for the guy to turn into Chris Carpenter and figure things out around age 30 after adding a cut fastball, but the odds against that are just incredibly low.

ChiTown 01-02-2014 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 10328206)
Anyone want to put up their super-early predictions? We all can reserve the right to change our minds up to the end of spring training.

Last year I said they were roughly an 85-86 win team and would barely miss the 2nd wild card. I do not believe the Royals over or underachieved (though they were unusually healthy), a few players did well and a few did poorly but overall it was pretty much as expected. (Though if you want to be glass half-full, throw away May and look how good the record is then)

I believe that on paper, if there are no other significant moves, then the Royals have improved by about 3 games even with the Loss of Santana. Replacing our 2B black hole with a credible hitter makes an enormous difference, and we also won't have to watch a few months of Frenchy. Vargas probably helps mitigate some of the loss in the rotation. Those moves are probably worth about 4 wins, and I knock one win back off by assuming we won't be as lucky with the DL this season; someone important will miss some time.

So, 88-89 wins. I also think the Tigers got worse on paper, but it won't be quite enough. (though this season we won't need to be quite as lucky to catch them as we needed in 2013) The division race will not be lost until September, the Royals will grab the last wild card and play for the right to face whoever the best team in the AL ends up being in the ALDS, probably Texas.

90-72 - DONE!

Sure-Oz 01-02-2014 05:42 PM

Quote:

Jim Duquette ‏@Jim_Duquette 5h

A sleeper team interested in Morales, as confirmed by a source, are the Royals - love that lineup with him in the middle of it !!
Umm....Interesting.

Everyone knows this happens if Butler is traded...for what pitching?

Fansy the Famous Bard 01-02-2014 09:07 PM

Morales isn't an upgrade from Butler. He has only had 3 seasons out of 8 where he's played 130+ games. He's more injury prone than LoCain and plays DH for pete's sake. It's not like he's throwing his body around against the CF Wall. He just rejected a 14 mil - 1 year deal so he won't be cheap.. AND would cost a draft pick.

I guess if we want to get older, more expensive, take a huge dive in OBP, and lose a draft pick to acquire a guy that we basically already have at a position that we don't need. Then sure...

to me... He makes little sense.

Simplicity 01-02-2014 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 10329575)
Morales isn't an upgrade from Butler. He has only had 3 seasons out of 8 where he's played 130+ games. He's more injury prone than LoCain and plays DH for pete's sake. It's not like he's throwing his body around against the CF Wall. He just rejected a 14 mil - 1 year deal so he won't be cheap.. AND would cost a draft pick.

I guess if we want to get older, more expensive, take a huge dive in OBP, and lose a draft pick to acquire a guy that we basically already have at a position that we don't need. Then sure...

If we are getting Morales and also trading Butler for a (unnamed) player then I'd take it.

Fansy the Famous Bard 01-02-2014 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplicity (Post 10329587)
If we are getting Morales and also trading Butler for a (unnamed) player then I'd take it.

Only if the unnamed player is a guy that immediately puts us in WS talk (Shields-esque if you will)... but you're not gonna get someone like that for Butler... especially when there is a Morales (having to give up a draft pick only) on the market.

Sure-Oz 01-02-2014 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 10329575)

I would think he'd be major insurance for a Butler trade...that said Butler won't bring back top 2 rotation pitcher or a hitter as good as him

Fansy the Famous Bard 01-02-2014 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 10329605)
I would think he'd be major insurance for a Butler trade...that said Butler won't bring back top 2 rotation pitcher or a hitter as good as him

That's some damned expensive insurance.

C3HIEF3S 01-02-2014 09:13 PM

I just don't see where trading away Billy and then signing worse, older, less durable, and more expensive replica of him gets us for 2014.

Fansy the Famous Bard 01-02-2014 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C3HIEF3S (Post 10329615)
I just don't see where trading away Billy and then signing worse, older, and more expensive replica of him gets us for 2014.

And by more expensive, we're talking literally twice the cost... and a huge injury risk.

C3HIEF3S 01-02-2014 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 10329625)
And by more expensive, we're talking literally twice the cost... and a huge injury risk.

Yeah, no thanks. I just don't see a single reason why a team like the Royals in their current situation would even think about making these moves.

Oh wait, Billy is fat.

Sure-Oz 01-02-2014 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 10329611)
That's some damned expensive insurance.

I think it would be damn stupid to trade Billy, but it'd have to be the right deal for them to sign another DH, someone that improves the team alot.

Just don't see it.

Chiefspants 01-02-2014 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C3HIEF3S (Post 10329665)
Yeah, no thanks. I just don't see a single reason why a team like the Royals in their current situation would even think about making these moves.

Oh wait, Billy is fat.

The Royals would never do this, but the only way I'd be okay with the move is if they move Hos to RF. If they cut ties with Hoch and Davis, it may be possible salary wise as well.

This lineup would be freaking sick.

1. Aoki
2. Hosmer
3. Morales
4. Gordon
5. Butler
6. Salvy
7. Moose
8. Escobar
9. Infante

But, alas, the Royals would never do it.

penguinz 01-02-2014 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 10329712)
The Royals would never do this, but the only way I'd be okay with the move is if they move Hos to RF. If they cut ties with Hoch and Davis, it may be possible salary wise as well.

1. Aoki
2. Hosmer
3. Morales
4. Gordon
5. Butler
6. Salvy
7. Moose
8. Escobar
9. Infante

You should always make your gold glove winner change positions. :roll eyes:

Nightfyre 01-02-2014 09:44 PM

Quote:

1. Aoki
2. Hosmer
3. Morales
4. Gordon
5. Butler
6. Salvy
7. Moose
8. Escobar
9. Infante

We are going to roll with two outfielders. Aoki and Gordon can split CF.

Chiefspants 01-02-2014 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 10329807)
We are going to roll with two outfielders. Aoki and Gordon can split CF.

Yeah, I was talking about a potential lineup with Hos in RF. Again, the Royals would never do it.

Chiefspants 01-02-2014 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 10329785)
You should always make your gold glove winner change positions. :roll eyes:

Anyone can feel free to correct me, but I do not believe that subpar defense at first base and right field would be a back-breaker for us in 2014.

Demonpenz 01-02-2014 09:49 PM

Hosmer's DNA is as a first basemen.

Nightfyre 01-02-2014 09:52 PM

Hosmer has the arm/athleticism for RF, I just don't know that we want to take the time to develop him there. And Butler is a ****ing travesty at 1b. Plus, Hos made some great picks that definitely saved some runs.

Demonpenz 01-02-2014 09:53 PM

remember when Butler started a couple games in Left Field? That was fun.

SPATCH 01-03-2014 10:05 AM

I keep having this dream where the Royals make it to the World Series without me knowing....

The dream happens the same way every time... in every dream I happen to stumble into a bar or someplace where they are showing the final game of the series, and I happen to catch the last few outs where we clinch the series. I watch all of the guys storm the field after the final out and I feel happy, but very underwhelmed at the same time.

Had this dream last night for the fourth or fifth time. Not sure what to make of it.

Fansy the Famous Bard 01-03-2014 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 10331149)
I keep having this dream where the Royals make it to the World Series without me knowing....

The dream happens the same way every time... in every dream I happen to stumble into a bar or someplace where they are showing the final game of the series, and I happen to catch the last few outs where we clinch the series. I watch all of the guys storm the field after the final out and I feel happy, but very underwhelmed at the same time.

Had this dream last night for the fourth or fifth time. Not sure what to make of it.

You're not allowed to follow the Royals this year. k?

duncan_idaho 01-03-2014 10:22 AM

Quote:

1. Aoki
2. Hosmer
3. Morales
4. Gordon
5. Butler
6. Salvy
7. Moose
8. Escobar
9. Infante

Gordon and Butler are both better hitters than Kendrys Morales.

Morales and Butler put up nearly identical seasons a year ago. But where as Butler's year was a down year for him, Morales' year was on par with what he has done since coming back from that devastating ankle injury.

Morales does not = Billy Butler. He's older, would be far more expensive (probably 2x as much in salary, plus draft pick compensation), and is actually and even worse runner than Butler.

Three7s 01-03-2014 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10331191)

Morales and Butler put up nearly identical seasons a year ago. But where as Butler's year was a down year for him, Morales' year was on par with what he has done since coming back from that devastating ankle injury.

Morales does not = Billy Butler. He's older, would be far more expensive (probably 2x as much in salary, plus draft pick compensation), and is actually and even worse runner than Butler.

It's hard to believe anyone being slower than Billy Butler.

Ceej 01-03-2014 10:27 AM

Wasn't Morales the jackass who tore his ACL celebrating a walk off?

Three7s 01-03-2014 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceej (Post 10331203)

Yes. I cringe every time I see one of those walk-off beat-downs teams do after game-winning hits.

WhawhaWhat 01-03-2014 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Three7s (Post 10331196)

He's never been quite the same since breaking his leg/ankle.

duncan_idaho 01-03-2014 10:31 AM

Quote:

I know, but he is slower. Cost his team more runs on the basepaths than Butler and was actually worse defensively in similarly limited action.

That ankle injury destroyed his lower half.

ChiTown 01-03-2014 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10331191)

NFW on Morales. That would make ZERO sense for a number of reasons - especially for the reasons you list above. He can hit for more power, but his K/Walk ratio is much worse than Billy, has a worse OPS and is not a Doubles machine like BB. That would be awful

WhawhaWhat 01-03-2014 10:41 AM

BTW, Kendrys Morales' agent is Scott Boras.

duncan_idaho 01-03-2014 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceej (Post 10331203)

He destroyed his ankle after hitting a walk-off granny.

Video here.

Jumped, landed. Believe it was a compound fracture of his ankle and possibly a fracture of one of the small bones in the lower leg. Rehab also went poorly, which is why he missed almost 2 full seasons. You can tell from this clip, too, comparing it to pictures of him now, he has probably put on 20-30 pounds since the injury.

Quote:

To further elaborate on this, check out the chart in this article: About 1/3 down the page.

Cliffs: Morales has been measured at costing his team 28.2 runs since he debuted in 2006 (Butler debuted in 2007). Butler is measured as costing the Royals 31.7 runs. So Morales' total comes out to 89 percent of Butler's total.

Sounds like they're about the same then, right? Well, they're not... because Morales total comes in 2284 PA, while Butler's comes in 4064 PA. Morales has just 56 percent of Butler's PA but has cost his team nearly as many runs on the bases.

Spread Morales' total out to the same number of PAs as Billy, and you're looking at Morales costing you 50.2 runs... or 58 percent more than Butler.

Morales isn't just worse than Butler. He's SIGNIFICANTLY worse on the bases than Billy Butler.

AndChiefs 01-03-2014 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10331240)
He destroyed his ankle after hitting a walk-off granny.

Video here.

Jumped, landed. Believe it was a compound fracture of his ankle and possibly a fracture of one of the small bones in the lower leg. Rehab also went poorly, which is why he missed almost 2 full seasons. You can tell from this clip, too, comparing it to pictures of him now, he has probably put on 20-30 pounds since the injury.

To further elaborate on this, check out the chart in this article: About 1/3 down the page.

Cliffs: Morales has been measured at costing his team 28.2 runs since he debuted in 2006 (Butler debuted in 2007). Butler is measured as costing the Royals 31.7 runs. So Morales' total comes out to 89 percent of Butler's total.

Sounds like they're about the same then, right? Well, they're not... because Morales total comes in 2284 PA, while Butler's comes in 4064 PA. Morales has just 56 percent of Butler's PA but has cost his team nearly as many runs on the bases.

Spread Morales' total out to the same number of PAs as Billy, and you're looking at Morales costing you 50.2 runs... or 58 percent more than Butler.

Morales isn't just worse than Butler. He's SIGNIFICANTLY worse on the bases than Billy Butler.

That's pretty darn impressive.

duncan_idaho 01-03-2014 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndChiefs (Post 10331262)
That's pretty darn impressive.

KC fans have always focused too much on Butler's baserunning. He's not good at it - he's really bad at it, in fact - but he's not unique in that amongst other DH/1B types.

AndChiefs 01-03-2014 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10331277)
KC fans have always focused too much on Butler's baserunning. He's not good at it - he's really bad at it, in fact - but he's not unique in that amongst other DH/1B types.

I think it's partly because there's not many true DH's out there so there's not many to compare him to. And 1B has some slow guys like that but I'd still put most of them as superior baserunners to Billy.

There's definitely no reason to get rid of him, however. Even though he does clog the basepaths.

Three7s 01-03-2014 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndChiefs (Post 10331296)
I think it's partly because there's not many true DH's out there so there's not many to compare him to. And 1B has some slow guys like that but I'd still put most of them as superior baserunners to Billy.

There's definitely no reason to get rid of him, however. Even though he does clog the basepaths.

I think what everyone clamors on about is that most of the "true" DHs, while slow like Billy, could hit homers with regularity. Butler hits around 20+ HRs a year, while most of the DHs I remember like Thome or Giambi would hit 40+ a year.