ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KU **** OFFICIAL 2012 Kansas Football Repository Thread **** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=253033)

Braincase 11-30-2011 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 8157539)
Personally I think he wanted out of the Big 12. Everywhere he goes in the conference he'd be "that guy that put Adam James in a closet and got fired, then sued TTU and ESPN." At Wazzu, he's just Mike Leach.

No matter where he goes, that stuff is going to pop up.

|Zach| 11-30-2011 10:19 PM

Quote:

Personally I think he wanted out of the Big 12. Everywhere he goes in the conference he'd be "that guy that put Adam James in a closet and got fired, then sued TTU and ESPN." At Wazzu, he's just Mike Leach.

The internet disagrees.

Bambi 11-30-2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

yep. The more you think about it the more this is becoming very obvious.

Funny how that works.

Braincase 11-30-2011 10:43 PM

So, Leach is a no go. Who is the next best option?

Buehler445 12-01-2011 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8153584)
Okay - another legitimate question - is there any actual animus towards him?

For instance, I think Herm's a dolt of a head coach, but a legitimately nice guy. He was a guy that I really wanted to see succeed but damn if he couldn't just stay out of his own way.

KU fans seem to hate Gill right now, and I suppose with good reason. But is he the kind of guy you really want to essentially expunge from existence? I mean it's not like he Quin Snydered you fellas or anything. He didn't bring in a bunch of women beaters and rapists, didn't do coke, put you on probation or nail a player's girlfriend. If nothing else, he was a damn fine representative for your program. Does that spare him any barbs here or is it pretty much just raw, unadulterated hate?

There just seems to be a lot of personal venom towards Gill. I know he was a shitty coach, but damn, he didn't go all Sandusky or anything.

Well, it's a varying degree of hate, but I'd put it on a scale just above Herm. But I hate Herm more than you do.

From my perspective, I hate him as much as anyone would who is a fan of a program that spent years in the cellar, appeared to be climbing the hell out and in the space of 2 years, is farther down in the cellar than they have been in my lifetime.

He's probably a nice guy, but he was an embarrassment to the university and absolutely murdered any progress we had made as a program.

kepp 12-01-2011 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 8157021)
Fortunately for KU, Mangino would tell them to go **** themselves.

Fortunately? Mangino is the only person who has been able to do anything there.

ChiTown 12-01-2011 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8156995)
KU should crawl back to Mangino and apologize.

Honestly, that would be a great strategy. Say what you want about the Fat Man, but the dude can coach. There isn't a snowballs chance in hell that this will happen, but it would be a solid option in my book.

Reerun_KC 12-01-2011 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kepp (Post 8158040)
Fortunately? Mangino is the only person who has been able to do anything there.

:facepalm:

Fortunately? Pinkel put MU on the map...

Fansy the Famous Bard 12-01-2011 08:28 AM

I only speak for myself, but I don't want any part of Mangino again.

Buehler445 12-01-2011 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 8158058)
I only speak for myself, but I don't want any part of Mangino again.

There's no way now, but I think they should not have fired him. He's the best thing that's happened to KU football not named Gayle Sayers.

Saul Good 12-01-2011 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 8158032)
Well, it's a varying degree of hate, but I'd put it on a scale just above Herm. But I hate Herm more than you do.

From my perspective, I hate him as much as anyone would who is a fan of a program that spent years in the cellar, appeared to be climbing the hell out and in the space of 2 years, is farther down in the cellar than they have been in my lifetime.

He's probably a nice guy, but he was an embarrassment to the university and absolutely murdered any progress we had made as a program.

Gill was handed a team that had lost its last 7 games.

ChiTown 12-01-2011 08:50 AM

Gary Barnett just said he was interested in the KU opening via 810 radio. He's a helluva Coach, but has been idle since he left CU in '05. That's interesting.

Reerun_KC 12-01-2011 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 8158096)
Gary Barnett just said he was interested in the KU opening via 810 radio. He's a helluva Coach, but has been idle since he left CU in '05. That's interesting.

Rings a bell... Where was he before CU?

Northwestern?

Fansy the Famous Bard 12-01-2011 08:57 AM

ya he coached Northwestern and is a Mizzou grad. He's also 65 years old.

ChiTown 12-01-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 8158105)
Rings a bell... Where was he before CU?

Northwestern?

He won the B10 at Northwestern (95 & 96) and a B12 Championship at CU (01)

Fritz88 12-01-2011 09:04 AM

The list of possible coaches pegged by LJ world has become more realistic now.

Also, an ESPN insider has listed KU as the bottom openong amongst 6 other openings including UNC and Illinois state or northern Illinois (not sure).
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiTown 12-01-2011 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz88 (Post 8158116)

Also, an ESPN insider has listed KU as the bottom openong amongst 6 other openings including UNC and Illinois state or northern Illinois (not sure).
Posted via Mobile Device

Hmm, NIU doesn't have an opening, and there is NO way that Ill State job would ever be ahead of a gig at KU. I think they meant Illinois, which is legit.

eazyb81 12-01-2011 09:11 AM

Rumor is A&M is going to can Sherm by the end of the day. If so, they will probably take Sumlin or Smart off the market.

Wonder if Sherm would consider going to ku? He obviously has big recruiting ties in Texas.

Braincase 12-01-2011 09:17 AM

Zenger will hire the guy that he knows will flat out work harder than anybody else. In turn, the assistants will do the same. I think that would most likely mean a younger coach. Maybe Mark Stoops is the guy.

Mr. Plow 12-01-2011 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 8158123)
Wonder if Sherm would consider going to ku? He obviously has big recruiting ties in Texas.

Which is something I'd love - someone with some good recruiting ties to Texas.

LiveSteam 12-01-2011 09:25 AM

Quote:

Rumor is A&M is going to can Sherm by the end of the day. If so, they will probably take Sumlin or Smart off the market.

NO KU. He is just another underachieving head coach. In the cesspool of shitty coaches

ChiTown 12-01-2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 8158131)
Zenger will hire the guy that he knows will flat out work harder than anybody else. In turn, the assistants will do the same. I think that would most likely mean a younger coach. Maybe Mark Stoops is the guy.

That's legit. I could definitely see Mark Stoops taking the KU job.

44 Yrs old, Defensive minded, good blood lines, and as a DC at FSU he has his D ranked 6th in Total D. IMO, that would be a solid hire. Now, that doesn't fit the mold that Zenger wants a guy with HC experience, as MS has NEVER been a HC at any level, but I still think he'd do a great job at KU.

Chiefs Pantalones 12-01-2011 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 8158151)

44 Yrs old, Defensive minded, good blood lines, and as a DC at FSU he has his D ranked 6th in Total D. IMO, that would be a solid hire. Now, that doesn't fit the mold that Zenger wants a guy with HC experience, as MS has NEVER been a HC at any level, but I still think he'd do a great job at KU.

Nah, we don't need defensive help at all haha ;)

Bambi 12-01-2011 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz88 (Post 8158116)

Posted via Mobile Device

It's Illinois.

Braincase 12-01-2011 09:38 AM

More tweets about Pat Fitzgerald. Young, winning at Northwestern...could be interesting.

Bambi 12-01-2011 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 8158151)

I think this is a realistic hire that can generate some buzz.

I don't think you give up on the "young up and coming coach" idea just because Gill didn't work out.

Fansy the Famous Bard 12-01-2011 09:44 AM

Mark Stoops was ranked 6th? who were the top 5 DC's and are they looking for Head Coaching gigs? :D

Mr. Plow 12-01-2011 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 8158160)
More tweets about Pat Fitzgerald. Young, winning at Northwestern...could be interesting.

Didn't he play at Northwestern? Not sure he'd leave that job for KU. I could be thinking of someone else though.

Bearcat 12-01-2011 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8158162)
I think this is a realistic hire that can generate some buzz.

I don't think you give up on the "young up and coming coach" idea just because Gill didn't work out.

I don't think they give up on the "young up and coming coach" because "experienced and established coach" doesn't want the job.

ChiTown 12-01-2011 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 8158177)
Didn't he play at Northwestern? Not sure he'd leave that job for KU. I could be thinking of someone else though.

Yes, he played at NW, where he was an absolute stud. I had Season tickets to the NW games back in those days. Good times.

Bambi 12-01-2011 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 8158168)
Mark Stoops was ranked 6th? who were the top 5 DC's and are they looking for Head Coaching gigs? :D

Alabama dude is kinda looking.

LSU's John Chaivs, no

Michigan State (Big 10, doesn't count)

South Carolina, Lorenzo Ward...don't think so

Georgia's Todd Grantham. 45 years old; NFL guy

then Mark Stoops

evenfall 12-01-2011 10:03 AM

Quote:

Why would someone with a winning record in the Big Ten leave that job for Kansas?

RockChalk 12-01-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evenfall (Post 8158213)
Why would someone with a winning record in the Big Ten leave that job for Kansas?

$$$

And he may "flirt" with KU to add some more money to his contract and/or secure an extension with NW

Fansy the Famous Bard 12-01-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8158200)

LSU's John Chaivs, no

then Mark Stoops

Kirby Smart won't be coming to KU, that much is certain. And Lorenzo Ward was the Citadel head coach and failed massively there. hmmm.....

Braincase 12-01-2011 12:34 PM

Mike Stoops = New DC at OSU. A Stoops going home - tears were shed.

eazyb81 12-01-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

I've heard some mention that Fitzgerald could be a contender at Pedo State. They want someone clean that has zero connection to Paterno or the university.

He would be great if you could get him to leave Northwestern, but that seems unlikely to me since it is his alma mater.

Braincase 12-01-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 8158674)
I've heard some mention that Fitzgerald could be a contender at Pedo State. They want someone clean that has zero connection to Paterno or the university.

He would be great if you could get him to leave Northwestern, but that seems unlikely to me since it is his alma mater.

He has already removed himself from consideration at PennSt. Everything I'm reading says it would take a visit from God Almighty to get Fitz to leave Chicago. Family, Alma Mater... yeah, I'm not optimistic.

DJ's left nut 12-01-2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I was really looking forward to getting to circle that cross-division game as a W every Spring.

Don't do it, Aggies - Sherman is the perfect fit for your program!

Saul Good 12-01-2011 01:52 PM

If you're Fitzgerald, and someone asks you to leave your hometown and alma mater to coach a worse team in an unstable conference at a basketball school and become the third head coach in just over 2 years after they fired one coach who won the Orange Bowl two years later and then fired his replacement after only 2 seasons, you have to take it.

DJ's left nut 12-01-2011 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChalk (Post 8158220)
$$$

And he may "flirt" with KU to add some more money to his contract and/or secure an extension with NW

Northwestern has been kinda funny over the years.

They're an absolute dogass football program most of the time and they pretend not to care. But whenever they get even a modicum of success, their fans get pretty rabid for whatever the duration of the success is.

I think they're a school that thinks they're too cool, too academically elite, to admit that they care about football. When you watch their reaction to success, however, it tells a much different tale.

I think Northwestern could come up with the $$ to keep Fitzgerald.

Oh, and I've been on campus a couple times at NW and I've been to Lawrence - yeah, there's really no comparison there. In fairness, there are few comparisons anywhere; Northwestern's campus is beautiful. Cold as a MFer, but located smack in the middle of downtown Chicago and absolutely incredible.

Saul Good 12-01-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8158200)

LSU's John Chaivs, no

then Mark Stoops

Rumor is that Alabama's DC, Kirby Smart, is going to aTm. Sumlin to ASU chatter is heating up as well.

Saul Good 12-01-2011 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8157677)
yep. The more you think about it the more this is becoming very obvious.

Funny how that works.

All I was hearing the past 2 days was that Leach might like KU's job so that he could stick it to Tech. Now, its obvious that he didn't want the job because he didn't want to face Tech?

DJ's left nut 12-01-2011 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8158902)
Rumor is that Alabama's DC, Kirby Smart, is going to aTm.

Awwwwww.....

Sadface

Fansy the Famous Bard 12-01-2011 02:03 PM

Kirby Smart is gonna be a great head coach.

evenfall 12-01-2011 02:09 PM

The idea that Fitzgerald would leave Northwestern for Kansas is amusing.

Doesn't it seem doubtful Kansas will have a huge monetary offer on the table for anyone? They just paid Gill to go away and they paid Mangino to go away two years ago. They can't give tickets away. It does not exactly seem like a program that is awash in cash.

They will need to make another Gill kind of hire, and hope they get it right this time.

Braincase 12-01-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evenfall (Post 8158937)

Doesn't it seem doubtful Kansas will have a huge monetary offer on the table for anyone? They just paid Gill to go away and they paid Mangino to go away two years ago. They can't give tickets away. It does not exactly seem like a program that is awash in cash.

They will need to make another Gill kind of hire, and hope they get it right this time.

The alumni are sacking up. KU is planning to offer 1 - 2.5 per year for the right guy, per Matt Tait.

Fansy the Famous Bard 12-01-2011 02:28 PM

Fitgerald already turned down Michigan when they were starting out offering $2.5 mil a year. And it could have reached $3 mil a year or more if he had really wanted it. He's making $1.8 mil at NW and is happy. There's little chance he even considers KU.

evenfall 12-01-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 8158961)
The alumni are sacking up. KU is planning to offer 1 - 2.5 per year for the right guy, per Matt Tait.

Did the Twitter sources know that Fitzgerald signed a 10 year extension before this season after Michigan pursued him?

DJ's left nut 12-01-2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 8158971)
Fitgerald already turned down Michigan when they were starting out offering $2.5 mil a year. And it could have reached $3 mil a year or more if he had really wanted it. He's making $1.8 mil at NW and is happy. There's little chance he even considers KU.

Is his wife from Lawrence?

Fansy the Famous Bard 12-01-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8158997)
Is his wife from Lawrence?

meh.. not going down that road with you. :harumph:

DJ's left nut 12-01-2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 8159005)
meh.. not going down that road with you. :harumph:

Awwww....

More sadface.

Mr. Plow 12-01-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8158873)
If you're Fitzgerald, and someone asks you to leave your hometown and alma mater to coach a worse team in an unstable conference at a basketball school and become the third head coach in just over 2 years after they fired one coach who won the Orange Bowl two years later and then fired his replacement after only 2 seasons, you have to take it.

Just can't stop and have a normal conversation, can you?

eazyb81 12-01-2011 02:50 PM

Figure this was the best place to put this gem.

JakeLebahn Jake Lebahn
According to a source Texas Longhorn head coach Mack Brown will retire this Saturday after the game against Baylor.

:eek:

Bambi 12-01-2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8158912)
All I was hearing the past 2 days was that Leach might like KU's job so that he could stick it to Tech. Now, its obvious that he didn't want the job because he didn't want to face Tech?

Just because KK is the loudest voice in the KC area doesn't mean he's correct.

Fansy the Famous Bard 12-01-2011 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 8159026)

Anytime KU is discussed, we immediately have an entire message board full of Kevin Keitzmans appear.

Bambi 12-01-2011 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 8159042)

JakeLebahn Jake Lebahn
According to a source Texas Longhorn head coach Mack Brown will retire this Saturday after the game against Baylor.

Nice, at least now there's a job worse out there than Kansas!

Saul Good 12-01-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

I had been nothing but polite since the MU/KU game ended. The football rivalry appears to be done, so I felt no need to twist the knife. Then, Wickedson started talking about how Mizzou fans were "self-loathing" and called me out by name in a 15 page thread that I hadn't posted in once. Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in.

Braincase 12-01-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

I don't try to communicate with him anymore. He doesn't speak any kind of English I understand, and it I'm not patient enough to wait on the translation from Saul's native douchenozzlese.

Bambi 12-01-2011 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evenfall (Post 8158937)

WTF is with you people and the ticket thing?

Like has been stated a million times...90% of the schools in America don't do well when the teams suck.

Paying a coaches salary is a drop in the bucket when compared to how much the school makes when the ticket sales are rolling. This only happens with wins. Especially at a school where most of the fans dollars have to go to basketball games too.

Traveling to NYC and Maui isn't cheap.

Bambi 12-01-2011 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8159055)
I had been nothing but polite since the MU/KU game ended. The football rivalry appears to be done, so I felt no need to twist the knife. Then, Wickedson started talking about how Mizzou fans were "self-loathing" and called me out by name in a 15 page thread that I hadn't posted in once. Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in.

It's the only plausible explanation for your constant posts regarding Kansas.

Must be because you live there.

kstater 12-01-2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 8159042)

JakeLebahn Jake Lebahn

Saban

ChiTown 12-01-2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 8159079)
Saban

You serious, Clark?

kstater 12-01-2011 03:05 PM

Only time will tell.

Mr. Plow 12-01-2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8159055)

I got ya - just can't handle being the bigger person. Gotcha.

eazyb81 12-01-2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 8159079)
Saban

I don't buy this rumor at all, but I think Saban and Petrino would be at the top of their list if Mack did step down.

DJ's left nut 12-01-2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 8159112)
I don't buy this rumor at all, but I think Saban and Petrino would be at the top of their list if Mack did step down.

Nah, Petrino would never cut and run on a program.

Fansy the Famous Bard 12-01-2011 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8159137)
Nah, Petrino would never cut and run on a program.

Seems like a pretty loyal guy, by all accounts. LMAO

Spott 12-01-2011 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8159137)
Nah, Petrino or Saban would never cut and run on a program.

FYP :)

Braincase 12-01-2011 07:35 PM

Scratch Fedora. If A&M is firing Sherman, Fedora will crawl on his hands & knees to college station.

O.city 12-01-2011 08:02 PM

Any chance Gary Pinkel could head to Texas?

Saul Good 12-01-2011 08:15 PM

No

Mr. Plow 12-01-2011 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 8159801)
Scratch Fedora. If A&M is firing Sherman, Fedora will crawl on his hands & knees to college station.

kbohls

Houston's Kevin Sumlin would emerge as the A&M frontrunner. "He's the favorite of Aggie Nation," the source says.

5 minutes ago

KcMizzou 12-01-2011 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8159868)
Any chance Gary Pinkel could head to Texas?

LMAO

Saul Good 12-02-2011 08:55 AM

Hearing that Keeston Terry is leaving KU. IIRC, he was their biggest get last year. He wanted to go to Mizzou, but there weren't any scholarships left for him. The Tigers could certainly use some depth in the secondary.

kepp 12-02-2011 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8160802)
Hearing that Keeston Terry is leaving KU. IIRC, he was their biggest get last year. He wanted to go to Mizzou, but there weren't any scholarships left for him. The Tigers could certainly use some depth in the secondary.

One of the reasons he's probably leaving is that he's a receiver and they tried to make him a safety. I don't know that we need him in our receiving corps.

ChiTown 12-02-2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8160802)

He's going to Northern Iowa.

Saul Good 12-02-2011 09:09 AM

I've heard UNI as well, but I haven't seen anything saying its a done deal.

Braincase 12-02-2011 10:41 AM

I think it's rather silly for a student-athlete to transfer until after a decision has been made about who the next coach will be. You know that somewhere in the annals of history, some kid has transferred to a new school, only for that coach to get hired by the same school the player left in the first place. Not saying that's the case here, but I think Terry should be a little more patient.

Bambi 12-02-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 8161068)
I think it's rather silly for a student-athlete to transfer until after a decision has been made about who the next coach will be. You know that somewhere in the annals of history, some kid has transferred to a new school, only for that coach to get hired by the same school the player left in the first place. Not saying that's the case here, but I think Terry should be a little more patient.

Sounds like he is really set on playing WR.

After that absolute terrible effort on that A&M play that pretty much let the wheels come off I don't say I blame him.

Saul Good 12-02-2011 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8161269)
Sounds like he is really set on playing WR.

After that absolute terrible effort on that A&M play that pretty much let the wheels come off I don't say I blame him.

Its more than that. KU would have used him as a WR over losing him.