ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc What if TSHTF (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274357)

driver2 07-08-2013 03:03 AM

[QUOTE=Aries Walker;9797372][QUOTE]

Excellent post, most of which I agree with.

Everything would come down to basic survival , Potable water, food , shelter, arms and safety(a secure) place to reside would become the prime motivators. Decent into tribalism, people banding together, for safety would become the norm.

History says that societal collapse in a major community will lead to overall decline of all civilizations.

Example ; the Roman Empire. Complete decent into barbarism.

If any posters have the patience Reads Gibbons "Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire".

Human nature will Take over!

Aries Walker 07-08-2013 04:53 AM

Except that the Roman Empire didn't descend into barbarism after it fell. A good example is what happened in Britain when Rome fell; the Roman army literally packed up and moved back to Rome, leaving a tremendous power vacuum and a lot of disorganization, much like what would happen to us in this hypothetical. As a result, the people there banded together into small groups and saw to their own interests; then, the Saxons invaded from Germany with so little resistance that it was almost like they just moved in. Their cultures merged and formed a new society, the Anglo-Saxons.

We no longer call them the 'Dark Ages' (they are now properly the 'Early Middle Ages') as the image of rampant barbarism and lawlessness is misleading to say the least. Innovation, for example, continued, but it was less along the lines of the theoretical or philosophical as it was in Classical Greece and Rome, and more along the lines of the practical, such as pattern welded steel and architectural advancements. There were despots and brutal monarchs, of course (it was, after all, medieval times), but it wasn't nearly so uncivilized as many think. We would be able to expect much the same.

Saulbadguy 07-08-2013 07:09 AM

I'd let all the psychos with guns off each other. That'd be a good fresh start for society.

SDChiefs 07-08-2013 07:11 AM

rape and pillage. i thought that was a forgone conclusion.

Chief Roundup 07-08-2013 07:14 AM

Has this not been covered in one of your other threads on this same subject?

Hammock Parties 07-08-2013 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 9798072)
I'd let all the psychos with guns off each other. That'd be a good fresh start for society.

Do Jews have their own private "bug out" plan?

R8RFAN 07-08-2013 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9798078)
Has this not been covered in one of your other threads on this same subject?

That was an electromagnetic pulse man... Get with the programLMAO

J Diddy 07-08-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9798106)
That was an electromagnetic pulse man... Get with the programLMAO

Don't want to even go there. Pacemaker and an emp....Bye bye Diddy Bye Bye.

Chest Rockwell 07-08-2013 08:36 AM

Nearly 170 posts and no this yet?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/I4s0nzsU1Wg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ptlyon 07-08-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Keep your guns close and your ammo closer

Molitoth 07-08-2013 08:45 AM

I'd be moving to the country to eat a lot of peaches.

Rausch 07-08-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 9798145)
Don't want to even go there. Pacemaker and an emp....Bye bye Diddy Bye Bye.

**** the apocalypse. A faulty microwave oven can kick your ass...:evil:

notorious 07-08-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 9798168)
I'd be moving to the country to eat a lot of peaches.

I thought Peaches come from a can. Weren't they put there by a man in a factory downtown?

Bwana 07-08-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Meh, if shit does go down you can go after the guy with the gun and hit him with your purse. :thumb:

ct 07-08-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9796865)
Atleast 4 days now with no place to purchase food, money is worthless..

I think withing 2 weeks gangs would form going from house to house pilfering and looting... If you are not in the gang, you get shot or shot at

I tend to agree here.

Be too many large (and growing) gang of rogues for an individual prepper to hold out long. I suspect survivors will have no choice but to gang together to survive. Will there be any good vs. evil left? Or just kill or be killed?

J Diddy 07-08-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9798219)
**** the apocalypse. A faulty microwave oven can kick your ass...:evil:

Worse part is not being able to put cell phone in shirt pocket anymore. So I put mine in my back and smashed the damn screen.

Frazod 07-08-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Psychos with guns tend to only shoot at other people with guns as a last resort. Unarmed idiots who rely on the police to protect them are generally at the top of the target list. For examples of this, see Chicago, City of, on any day where the temperature rises above 80.

Molitoth 07-08-2013 02:21 PM

There is more than enough land in the US for everyone to get a little plot and build shelter/grow a garden.
Being that we are a race full of mongering idiots... I'd rather a natural disaster just kill us all off in one big bang than have to defend my little girls every day from pieces of shit.

tooge 07-08-2013 02:40 PM

If you look at history, at least relatively recent history, the trouble is in the cities. Look at New Orleans with Katrina, or the storm that hit the east coast recently. There was damage and power outages for hundreds of miles inland in both cases. The difference was that there was a social structure in neighborhoods whereby people helped each other out, but in the inner cities, it was every man for himself.

I really think that most disasters are going to be local or regional in nature, whether it be earthquake, hurricane, etc. These local disasters won't overwhelm the government and although there will always be looting and rioting, it'll be containable.

If the disaster is more than just regional, such as an asteroid strike, or a supervolcano, then it wont really matter, because people that aren't fairly prepared for such an event aren't going to make it.

Brock 07-08-2013 05:15 PM

ROFL a lot of suburban commandos here

Mr. Laz 07-08-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 9798555)
Worse part is not being able to put cell phone in shirt pocket anymore. So I put mine in my back and smashed the damn screen.

time to break out the fanny pack

:D

Saulbadguy 07-08-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith HATER (Post 9798079)
Do Jews have their own private "bug out" plan?

Yes.

Rausch 07-08-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 9799601)
Yes.

It's called ISRAEL...

driver2 07-08-2013 09:38 PM

[QUOTE][QUOTE=Aries Walker;9798030[/QUOTE]]

Not arguing , but note that I'm talking about the provinces Northern and central Europe North African and Mid Eastern provinces the declines in those areas was a lot more severe, than what happened in Rome and Constantinople.

You're right about the term "Barbarism" a poor choice of wording. I just can't think of any word that is really accurately descriptive of the conditions that those people were existing in! Lawless Feudalism, doesn't cover it. Neither does slavery or poverty or downtrodden serfs or whatever. Basically they had it pretty rough many hundreds of years.

The last great depression was world wide this one will be to, I believe. The wealthy and powerful will end up trying to hold on but will ultimately fail. We'll
probably end up in some sort 19th century feudalism or wild-wild west existence.
You'll probably disagree with my assessment, you seem to have a better view of human nature than I do.

Rausch 07-08-2013 09:43 PM

[QUOTE=driver2;9800087]
Quote:

]

Not arguing , but note that I'm talking about the provinces Northern and central Europe North African and Mid Eastern provinces the declines in those areas was a lot more severe, than what happened in Rome and Constantinople.
OH!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dsRuurcTTSk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chest Rockwell 07-09-2013 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 9799601)
Yes.

They gotta have a big ass bag though.

I've heard they historically have trouble with land nav.

kepp 07-09-2013 10:17 AM

I'd load my family and guns/ammo in my truck and head off for my parents' place a couple hours away. It's rural so it would be overlooked for the most part, but near a small community that looks out for each other. With water, wood, some wild game, a garden and family, we'd last for a while.