ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Breaking Bad (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=204659)

irishjayhawk 05-02-2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6731707)
HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

What he said.

Combine the ending with Walt and Jesse's scene and you have an Emmy win in the bag.

Aside: I hate how AMC shows clips from next week before the final few minutes. Granted, the foreshadowing of Hank was immense but it was done a disservice by the hospital scenes shown as a promotion for next week.

notorious 05-02-2010 09:06 PM

The last 6 minutes was the most intense span of time I have ever seen on TV.

I wonder how they let that Graphic Violence through, too.

It was amazing.

irishjayhawk 05-02-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 6731715)
The last 6 minutes was the most intense span of time I have ever seen on TV.

I wonder how they let that Graphic Violence through, too.

It was amazing.

They've previously said that AMC really doesn't question them. They let them go with it. I was shocked at the ending shot too but also at the composition and how they pulled it off.

Holy goddamn.

notorious 05-02-2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6731726)
They've previously said that AMC really doesn't question them. They let them go with it. I was shocked at the ending shot too but also at the composition and how they pulled it off.

Holy goddamn.

My jaw is still on the floor. Entertainment at it's apex.

There is only one person that could have contacted Hank to warn him.........

He had it planned from the time he sent the brothers after Hank. He managed to get rid of the pressure on him from the guys in the south. Very smart man.

irishjayhawk 05-02-2010 09:21 PM

http://sepinwall.blogspot.com/2010/0...ic-bullet.html

Quote:

A review of tonight's insanely great "Breaking Bad" (aka The Best Show on TV Right Now) coming up just as soon as I look like a TV weatherman...
"I'm just not the man I thought I was." -Hank
Um...

uh...

um...

WOW.

Sorry, just need another minute to pick my jaw up off the floor after that.

What an incredible, bananas finish to the strongest episode yet of this third season. As written by "Breaking Bad" newcomer Thomas Schnauz (another of many "X-Files" vets Vince Gilligan has brought in) and directed by Michelle MacLaren (who joined the staff full-time after last season's gorgeous "4 Days Out"), the parking lot climax was a perfect model of suspense filmmaking. We'd already been primed all episode to fear that the Cousins could hit Hank at any moment (every time the elevator doors opened, I know I gripped my armrest), but then to have someone(*) warn Hank ahead of time kicked things up several levels. Suddenly, we and Hank were in the same mindset, looking around every corner, jumping at shadows (and/or men with squeegees), waiting for the two men to come and wondering if an unarmed Hank possibly had a chance against those two unrelenting figures of death.

(*) So, is there anyone it could have been other than Gus? Gus clearly wanted the Cousins the hell out of his territory, and I can see him warning Hank in the hopes that he might be lucky enough to take them out - or, at least, to bloody them enough that they'd have to re-cross the border in a hurry rather than hanging around in the hopes of also killing Walt. Other than Mike making the call on Gus's behalf, there doesn't seem to be a character in a position to know or do anything about the planned hit. For that matter, I'm not sure how even Gus would have known that Hank had roughly a minute to act, but I'll accept that he could for the sake of what that call added to the scene.

In many ways, the parking lot shootout evoked the failed hit on Tony Soprano from the end of "Sopranos" season one, down to the use of an SUV as a weapon. But I'd argue this scene one-upped that. Violence on "The Sopranos" always had something of a black comic tinge to it (the lead-up to the hit is Tony wandering around in a depressed stupor, and the hitmen were introduced in a scene played for laughs because of Uncle Junior hiding in the back of a car), and these guys didn't have the kind of mythical build-up the Cousins got. And on top of that, Tony Soprano was the star of the show, and it wouldn't work with him dead, whereas "Breaking Bad" would miss Hank but could easily continue without him. So the danger was far more real even without the Cousin factor.

In the end, though Hank is tough and resourceful, he won the only way anyone could against these two: through luck. He was warned in advance and was still in his car. Leonel's(**) gun also happened to fall right where Hank could reach it, and Marco conveniently had an extra, special bullet in his jacket pocket courtesy of the friendly gun dealer, and the duo's flair for the dramatic gave Hank just enough time to find the bullet on the ground and load it and shoot out the back of Marco's skull before the shiny ax could finish its backswing.

(**) Nice of the show to finally give the Cousins names - and a backstory - right before Hank killed one and either crippled or killed the other. The flashback with a middle-aged Tio at the height of his powers was chilling in its portrait of the culture those two grew up in. With Don Salamanca as the dominant male in their lives, and giving them "lessons" like that one, is there any wonder how they grew up to be these two unflappable killing machines? Note also that Leonel, the one who as a boy cries over Marco's destruction of his toy, is the one who's now hardcore enough to tell the other to finish the job rather than staying to help him. Tio made him that way.

But here's the thing: even without those crazy final minutes, "One Minute" still would have been one of the best "Breaking Bad"s to date.

What an amazing showcase for both Aaron Paul (who seems a lock to repeat his Emmy nomination next year, and possibly to win it if he submits this episode) and Dean Norris (who sure deserves to join Paul, but may not in what's always a crowded category).

Hank's beatdown of Jesse brings both men to a crossroads. Having lost his girlfriend, his partner, and now his source of income in the RV, Jesse finally tumbles over the abyss after Hank puts him in the hospital. Acting with half his face hidden by some really convincing prosthetics, Paul showed us a Jesse even colder and angrier than he was in his "I'm the bad guy" phase earlier this season, giving a riveting monologue(***) about all the ways he intended to punish Hank - and the way he'd drag Walt down with him if the DEA came after him.

(***) If the parking lot scene reminded me of "The Sopranos," Jesse's speech was like a more controlled version of Al Capone's speech from "The Untouchables" about what he wanted done to Elliott Ness.

But when Walt returns to Jesse's hospital room later in the episode to try to save his former brother-in-law, Jesse's evil calm is replaced by raw, unbridled pain, as he unloads on Walt with the laundry list of all the ways his life has gotten worse since Mr. White came back into his life. These are words Walt has needed to hear for a long time now - to have someone he can't tune out explain how toxic he's become to everyone in his life - and it's to Walt's credit that he already seemed aware of this after first seeing Jesse's ruined face. When he chews out Gale for screwing up the temperature, it comes in part from his need to feel superior to others (he does this shortly after Gale starts working two steps ahead of him), but also clearly out of guilt for what he saw happen to his previous lab assistant. Walt is a monster, but there's enough humanity left in him to recognize the pain he's caused, and the debts he owes, and so he manages to talk Gus(****) into letting him fire Gale and bring Jesse into the Walt-cave.

(****) And Gus's willingness to go along with that plan torpedoes my theory that he was using Gale to appropriate Walt's methods and then say goodbye to the loose cannon. It's entirely possible he still has that in mind (maybe the Walt-cave is tricked out with surveillance gear?), but could Gus have far grander plans for Walt that extend past the initial three month agreement?

And in the wake of putting Jesse in the hospital and his own career on life-support, Hank finally lets himself open up to Marie. Getting back to my fear of the elevator doors, when Hank got on the elevator the first time with Marie, I was expecting Cousins and was then floored to see husband and wife sobbing in each other's arms (and amused to see them completely composed by the time the doors opened on the ground floor, because there are some things Hank Schrader will not show the world). Even better than that scene, though, was Hank getting ready for his hearing with OPR, where he talked about his PTSD (in terms he could use), and about how much he's been struggling since he killed Tuco.

So here's what I wonder: the shootout with Tuco is what started Hank down this mentally unhealthy road, and the exploding turtle made things worse, but he finally seemed to be at peace by the time he left the DEA field office, knowing he'd probably lost his job but wouldn't go to jail. Now that he's barely survived a horrific ordeal, seen more people killed in front of him (and because of him) and killed one or two more himself, what happens? Does Hank's psyche shut down on him again, or does knowing he overcame two unbelievable bad-asses give him a new sense of invulnerability? And will this give him a road back into the DEA? Surely, the Cousins are in a law-enforcement database somewhere, and the man who took them out is about to become a legend - and someone who perhaps might be put back on the trail of Heisenberg.

It certainly makes sense for the show to have Walt being pursued by a (former) family member, but how will Hank (and Marie) cope with being thrust back into this violent world right when it looked like he was out for good? And now that Hank has taken out three members of the Salamanca family, will the cartel be even hotter for his blood, or might they want to stay far away from the brewer of Schraderbrau?

Damn, damn, damn that was good.

Some other thoughts:

• Of course the only thing Walt could tell Jesse to heal their rift was that his meth was good. That was all Jesse wanted to hear when he showed the stuff to Walt in the high school parking lot - really, it's all he's wanted to hear from the guy since the partnership began. Jesse (whose parents have cast him out) needs a surrogate father even more than Walt (who has a good relationship with Walter Jr.) needs a surrogate son.

• As Hank beat on Jesse and asked how Jesse knew his cell phone number and wife's name, I began to worry that Walt took things too far with that gambit. I understand why Hank has blinders on about Walt, but sooner or later, he has to make the math work, doesn't he?

• Note that the Tio/Cousins flashback also included Tio on the phone discussing the start of the cartel's business relationship with Gus, whom Tio dismissively refers to as "The Chicken Man."

• Saul had a few good funny lines at Jesse's expense (comparing him to Rocky, then Ringo), but the scene in the hallway - shot, appropriately, in half-darkness - where he started preparing Walt for the idea of killing Jesse was a reminder that this guy is not a joke.

• Hands up: who would be happy to go to their local supermarket and buy a "Breaking Bad" brand pre-made PB&J sandwich, cut up Walt-style?

• A few years back I was in a car accident where I broke several ribs, and I am very familiar with that pain assessment chart. After Jesse's half-face stared at it, I may never think of that thing the same way again.

Finally, in case you've missed the news, this is the last "Breaking Bad" review I'll be doing before I relocate to HitFix.com. I'll still be reviewing every episode here the exact way I did here, so just change your bookmarks accordingly.

I couldn't agree more. Paul rocked the hospital scene.

notorious 05-02-2010 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6731742)

I couldn't agree more. Paul rocked the hospital scene.

He was amazing. Whoever did his makeup hit a homerun, too.

irishjayhawk 05-02-2010 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 6731749)
He was amazing. Whoever did his makeup hit a homerun, too.

I thought the exact opposite when I first saw it and then he went into the speech about what he was going to do to Hank and I was like, holy crap, this is pretty real looking.

I'm so used to "this is fake but you'll buy it" mentality.

notorious 05-02-2010 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6731758)
I thought the exact opposite when I first saw it and then he went into the speech about what he was going to do to Hank and I was like, holy crap, this is pretty real looking.

I'm so used to "this is fake but you'll buy it" mentality.

Ya, my wife didn't buy it either. I guess I haven't been involved with enough violence to know the difference.

WilliamTheIrish 05-02-2010 10:07 PM

That was increcible.

Buck 05-03-2010 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 6731740)
My jaw is still on the floor. Entertainment at it's apex.

There is only one person that could have contacted Hank to warn him.........

He had it planned from the time he sent the brothers after Hank. He managed to get rid of the pressure on him from the guys in the south. Very smart man.

I think it's 1 of 2 people.

Gustavo or Hanks boss.

Remember Gustavo is linked to Hanks boss because he's on that task force.

Pretty damn good episode. Best thing was that Skyler had one scene.

Buck 05-03-2010 12:35 AM

Oh and as soon as the parking lot scene with Hank on the phone with Marie started I turned down my TV because I thought it was going to get loud and also because I was geniuenly scared.

Thig Lyfe 05-03-2010 12:51 AM

These last two episodes have been pants-jizzingly good.

irishjayhawk 05-03-2010 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 6731872)
Oh and as soon as the parking lot scene with Hank on the phone with Marie started I turned down my TV because I thought it was going to get loud and also because I was geniuenly scared.

I moved closer to the screen. :)

notorious 05-03-2010 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 6731870)

Gustavo or Hanks boss.

Very perceptive. I can buy that especially after Hanks boss said he might have a guardian angel looking over him.

Another might be the friend of Saul's. He has been known to follow people,

And yes, Skyler sucks huge elephant balls.

irishjayhawk 05-03-2010 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 6732312)
Very perceptive. I can buy that especially after Hanks boss said he might have a guardian angel looking over him.

Another might be the friend of Saul's. He has been known to follow people,

And yes, Skyler sucks huge elephant balls.

Actually, I think Skyler's development is intriguing. I loved her line about how crime pays after being jealous of the bag of money and forcing Walt out.

In terms of side characters, I care about her least though.

notorious 05-03-2010 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6732320)
Actually, I think Skyler's development is intriguing. I loved her line about how crime pays after being jealous of the bag of money and forcing Walt out.

In terms of side characters, I care about her least though.

She is actually in the worst place. She had no control over what happened, and now she is being painted as the "bad guy".

Just wait until their newborn developes health problems and Walt blames Skyler's smoking and her working at Benekey (sp?). They will need Walt's income to pay for the kids treatment.

Just a shot in the dark.......

irishjayhawk 05-03-2010 04:02 PM

I don't see here being painted as the bad guy. I see her being part of the shade of grey (who's worse).

I would like to see more of Walt Jr, but that's preference.

Pasta Little Brioni 05-03-2010 04:13 PM

Just stating the obvious that this a damn good show and last night's episode was amazing.

Deberg_1990 05-03-2010 06:20 PM

Watched this thing in Bits and pieces the last few episodes....its hard for me to get into though. Guess i should watch from the beginning??

Reaper16 05-03-2010 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 6733793)
Watched this thing in Bits and pieces the last few episodes....its hard for me to get into though. Guess i should watch from the beginning??

Yes. Unequivocally yes.

Thig Lyfe 05-03-2010 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 6733793)

Shows like this cannot be picked up on the fly. You have to go back and watch every single episode in order to really appreciate it. That's part of the reason there are so many interchangeable and utterly disposable Law & Order and CSI clones: it's a lot easier for people to just tune in to a self-contained procedural with little-to-no character development than a brilliant, novelistic series like this or The Wire.

You not only should, but MUST watch from the beginning.

L.A. Chieffan 05-04-2010 03:22 PM

WOW, probably the best of hour of television I've seen in a LOOOONG time.

Riveting.

cdirty 05-04-2010 03:25 PM

http://www.acousticage.org/gif/bb.gif

L.A. Chieffan 05-04-2010 03:27 PM

lol, im gonna miss those crazy mexican ****ers

Zebedee DuBois 05-04-2010 03:37 PM

Love the show...that is a sick clip in post 183, but misses the tension of his bloody fingers fumbling to get that bullet in the gun. That tension was intense. That segment right after Hank got the warning call, and the radio clock wouldn't advance...whooo.

WilliamTheIrish 05-04-2010 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois (Post 6736257)
Love the show...that is a sick clip in post 183, but misses the tension of his bloody fingers fumbling to get that bullet in the gun. That tension was intense. That segment right after Hank got the warning call, and the radio clock wouldn't advance...whooo.

The most intense scene I've watched since "Fish" in Saving Private Ryan as he was struggling one on one with the German that ended up killing him.

Watching him fumble for that shell was the most agonizing yet exquisite scene I've ever had the pleasure to watch.

irishjayhawk 05-04-2010 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 6736277)
The most intense scene I've watched since "Fish" in Saving Private Ryan as he was struggling one on one with the German that ended up killing him.

Watching him fumble for that shell was the most agonizing yet exquisite scene I've ever had the pleasure to watch.

Good comparison.

Out of curiosity, did anyone else think it odd we never saw a clip of him getting the bullet into the gun? Is this better or worse, in your opinion?

Zebedee DuBois 05-04-2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6736549)
Good comparison.

Out of curiosity, did anyone else think it odd we never saw a clip of him getting the bullet into the gun? Is this better or worse, in your opinion?

I think it adds to the tension to not see that bullet go into the gun. We don't know if he succeeds until the last last last possible moment. To have it the other way, would be more in the tone of a Bruce Willis Die Hard moment, with a "Whoppie ty yi yay, mother****er".

Thanks for asking the question, because it makes me appreciate that sequence all the more.

WilliamTheIrish 05-06-2010 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois (Post 6736733)
I think it adds to the tension to not see that bullet go into the gun. We don't know if he succeeds until the last last last possible moment. To have it the other way, would be more in the tone of a Bruce Willis Die Hard moment, with a "Whoppie ty yi yay, mother****er".

Thanks for asking the question, because it makes me appreciate that sequence all the more.

I agree. I thought Hank's head was going to splayed open like a f'ing Cornish Hen.

When he blew the vertex of the guys skull onto the camera I almost leaped out of my chair.

irishjayhawk 05-09-2010 09:09 PM

So, every climax has to have a dénouement. Here is the dénouement episode. Yet, it sets up another arc, which I think, may eclipse the previous.

I'm excited.

Reaper16 05-09-2010 09:12 PM

Gus Fring, in addition to being in charge of a cartel territory, is apparently connected to someone high up in the DEA to pull off what he did at the end of this episode. He's one scary man.

irishjayhawk 05-09-2010 09:13 PM

I'm hiding in plain sight, same as you.

KCwolf 05-09-2010 09:53 PM

Gus is Bad Bad man....w/connections WAY up there.....can't wait till next Sunday. Looks like Jesse is thinkin stupid again next week!

KCwolf 05-09-2010 09:58 PM

Now Thank Me and Shake my hand

Reaper16 05-09-2010 10:56 PM

Gus Fring is like:

http://stlhops.com/forum/images/smil...uckbitches.gif

Thig Lyfe 05-10-2010 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6748445)

Hahahahahahaha YES

eazyb81 05-10-2010 07:13 AM

What an amazing show. There is nothing like it on tv right now.

morphius 05-10-2010 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 6731870)

Gustavo or Hanks boss.

While the whole Skyler thing is annoying, I expect her and her job to play a huge part in how this story ends.

irishjayhawk 05-10-2010 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 6748735)
While the whole Skyler thing is annoying, I expect her and her job to play a huge part in how this story ends.

I'm curious. What you thinking?

Buck 05-10-2010 02:03 PM

Last nights epsode was good. Awesome how they had the defeeted cousin crawling on the ground, just like the opening scene of the show.

irishjayhawk 05-10-2010 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 6749281)
Last nights epsode was good. Awesome how they had the defeeted cousin crawling on the ground, just like the opening scene of the show.

Wow, totally missed that parallel.

morphius 05-10-2010 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6749268)
I'm curious. What you thinking?

I've been debating that she might signed the accounting books that her new lover wants her to sign and gets arrested over it, but instead of jail time Walt has her give him up. Which of course ends up with Walt being killed.

I know it is a stretch, but who knows with this show.

Zebedee DuBois 05-10-2010 06:03 PM

Mr. Pollos can make some things happen!

jjjayb 05-10-2010 09:50 PM

I'm wondering if Gustavo may be DEA. High level. Maybe one of the guys in the book that Walt Jr was reading that brought down Escobar.

irishjayhawk 05-10-2010 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjjayb (Post 6750369)
I'm wondering if Gustavo may be DEA. High level. Maybe one of the guys in the book that Walt Jr was reading that brought down Escobar.

That's a really, really interesting idea. However, given the stuff he's done, I doubt it.

Reaper16 05-16-2010 10:19 PM

"Kafkaesque," indeed.

KCwolf 05-23-2010 09:32 PM

The Fly....

Was hoping for more.....but did enjoy the back N Forth between the two. Action scenes...not so much. Just was hoping for more.

notorious 05-23-2010 10:44 PM

Sucked.

Reaper16 05-23-2010 10:54 PM

I thought the fly obsession & sleeping pills were transparent devices used to get Jesse and Walt to the tension level that the episode required. While the episode was great during the moments when it was in full conversational gear, I found the premise of the episode, the getting-there stuff, to be convoluted.

Reaper16 05-23-2010 11:00 PM

The direction? Superb.

Thig Lyfe 05-24-2010 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 6776207)
Sucked.

You're insane.

This episode was goddamn majestic. When Walt started talking about Jane's dad, I was just as anxious as when Hank had them trapped in the RV. This episode was more like a brilliant stage play than an episode of TV. Brilliant writing, brilliant acting, brilliant directing. So much happening without anything really happening.

Buck 05-24-2010 06:25 AM

I have to watch the episode again tomorrow, well later today.

The lack of action compared to the Lost finale which I watched immediately before it made the episode seem to take forever, but I did like it the first time around.

Admittedly, I was still processing Lost in my head though, so a rewatch is necessary.

irishjayhawk 05-24-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 6776366)
I have to watch the episode again tomorrow, well later today.

The lack of action compared to the Lost finale which I watched immediately before it made the episode seem to take forever, but I did like it the first time around.

Admittedly, I was still processing Lost in my head though, so a rewatch is necessary.

Same. I just wasn't attentive enough. I know the point and plot of the episode but I missed some good moments, I think.

notorious 05-24-2010 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SportsRacer (Post 6776262)
You're insane.

This.

It was the worst Breaking Episode to date. They have set the bar unbelievably high, so I am not suprised that they had a bad episode.

Reaper16 05-24-2010 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 6777855)
This.

It was the worst Breaking Episode to date. They have set the bar unbelievably high, so I am not suprised that they had a bad episode.

Something has told me all season long that the reasons that you like Breaking Bad are not always the same reasons that I like it.

notorious 05-24-2010 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6777876)
Something has told me all season long that the reasons that you like Breaking Bad are not always the same reasons that I like it.

Isn't that how everything is in life?

I love BB for the outstanding acting and story. The sick humor is great, too.

Probably my favorite part of BB is the internal conflict each character has. This episode had some of that, but it just seemed to fall below the normal standard.

It seemed like a filler episode. Nothing was really added to the story, just rehashed.

Buck 05-24-2010 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 6777886)
Isn't that how everything is in life?

I love BB for the outstanding acting and story. The sick humor is great, too.

Probably my favorite part of BB is the internal conflict each character has. This episode had some of that, but it just seemed to fall below the normal standard.

It seemed like a filler episode. Nothing was really added to the story, just rehashed.

Wrong.

1. Jesse finally starts to realize how much of a shit life Walt is living, and he starts sympathizing with him for the first time. It used to be all about "ME" for Jesse, but that changed in this episode.

2. We learn that Walt knows Jesse took the Meth. Should set up some interesting episodes coming up.

Zebedee DuBois 05-24-2010 05:42 PM

This could have easily been a half hour episode with no loss of story.

notorious 05-24-2010 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 6777891)
Wrong.

1. Jesse finally starts to realize how much of a shit life Walt is living, and he starts sympathizing with him for the first time. It used to be all about "ME" for Jesse, but that changed in this episode.

2. We learn that Walt knows Jesse took the Meth. Should set up some interesting episodes coming up.

Opinion.

I love being told I am wrong based on an opinion. :)

1. Jesse has always tried to help Walt out when he could. He already sympathized for him since his Aunt went through the same thing that Walt is going through. The one really interesting part of the episode was when Walt kept telling Jesse "I'm Sorry".

2. Walt probably already knew that Jesse took the Meth. Jesse was making up stupid excuses about the waste, and Walt was having internal conflict about it, hence the anger towards the fly.

Guys, it is still by far the best show on TV for a long time. The episode just wasn't as good as the rest of the show has been.

Thig Lyfe 05-24-2010 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 6777937)
Opinion.

I love being told I am wrong based on an opinion. :)

YOUR OPINION IS THE WORST OPINION!!!!!!111!!1!

notorious 05-24-2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SportsRacer (Post 6778195)
YOUR OPINION IS THE WORST OPINION!!!!!!111!!1!

LMAO

irishjayhawk 05-24-2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 6777891)
Wrong.

Plus Walt is coming unglued.

KCwolf 05-24-2010 10:22 PM

It's Bar None the best TV show on TV....but I hate how every episode is defended like it was meaningful....IMO the Fly dissappointed ME.... and I'm OK with that....we are winding down this season and I was thinking we would be moving forward and this episode seemed rather stagnant....did I HATE it?...NO. Was it odd and slow....yes. Looking forward to next week...as always.

irishjayhawk 05-24-2010 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCwolf (Post 6778385)
It's Bar None the best TV show on TV....but I hate how every episode is defended like it was meaningful....IMO the Fly dissappointed ME.... and I'm OK with that....we are winding down this season and I was thinking we would be moving forward and this episode seemed rather stagnant....did I HATE it?...NO. Was it odd and slow....yes. Looking forward to next week...as always.

You sound like my brother. :)

Thig Lyfe 05-24-2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

The thing is, it was anything but stagnant. Maybe not much happened plotwise, but SO MUCH happened in terms of the characters of Jesse and Walt.

KCwolf 05-24-2010 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6778387)
You sound like my brother. :)

Sounds like a good guy :)

Reaper16 05-24-2010 11:09 PM

Quote:

It's Bar None the best TV show on TV.

I'm going to disagree. I love love love love Breaking Bad. It is probably my favorite show on TV right now. But I think that Mad Men is a superior show, if only very slightly.

irishjayhawk 05-25-2010 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6778459)
I'm going to disagree. I love love love love Breaking Bad. It is probably my favorite show on TV right now. But I think that Mad Men is a superior show, if only very slightly.

I need to watch Mad Men but I'm betting the slight superiority is the period piece nature of it.

Reaper16 05-25-2010 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6778572)
I need to watch Mad Men but I'm betting the slight superiority is the period piece nature of it.

No. In fact, that Breaking Bad is occurring in present day is one of the reasons that I like BB more.

Mad Men has more to say about America and Americans than does Breaking Bad. MM has a greater intellectual heft to it and it pulls off its full plate as deftly as BB pulls off its less-full one. MM also has a more consistent artistic vision from episode to episode; it is far easier to note big shifts in direction or writing in BB, shifts that occur when there is a first-time director or first-time principle script writer.

Loxinabox 05-25-2010 11:33 AM

DVR the whole season

Ya I love the show and I got a free DVR through work best-americanbusiness.com So have tapped the whole season so far. The writing is amazing easily the best show on TV

Demonpenz 05-25-2010 11:38 AM

the planes collided in season 2....tooo farrr for me

Loxinabox 05-28-2010 11:43 AM

The last episode of BB with the fly was amazing! How often does a TV show enter the theater of the absurd? I mean they were doing Samuel Beckett's Waiting for Godot!

Loxinabox 05-28-2010 11:45 AM

[QUOTE=irishjayhawk;5605653]You should try to catch back up. Only 11 have aired thus far.

Damn good. Especially the first two of this season. And the opening scenes of each.

FWIW, Stephen King says it's the best scripted show on television, right now. Theater of the absurd? I mean they were doing Samuel Beckett's Waiting for Godot!

irishjayhawk 05-28-2010 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6779202)
No. In fact, that Breaking Bad is occurring in present day is one of the reasons that I like BB more.

Mad Men has more to say about America and Americans than does Breaking Bad. MM has a greater intellectual heft to it and it pulls off its full plate as deftly as BB pulls off its less-full one. MM also has a more consistent artistic vision from episode to episode; it is far easier to note big shifts in direction or writing in BB, shifts that occur when there is a first-time director or first-time principle script writer.

I'm not sure I buy that comparison. Saying something about America and Americans is general whereas saying something about the drug-cartel-DEA war is much more specific. Thus, I'm not sure you can compare the intellectual heft. After all, a book about WWII and a book about Stalingrad can both be intellectually heavy.

FWIW, I restarted my Mad Men attempt. Watched the pilot for the second or third time. Trying to get up to speed before it starts. Probably won't make it.

Buck 05-28-2010 04:10 PM

Oh Mad Men,

Is that a good show?

I've been looking for a new one now that Lost is over.

Reaper16 05-28-2010 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6786323)
I'm not sure I buy that comparison. Saying something about America and Americans is general whereas saying something about the drug-cartel-DEA war is much more specific. Thus, I'm not sure you can compare the intellectual heft. After all, a book about WWII and a book about Stalingrad can both be intellectually heavy.

You're not making sense to me. I didn't once say that BB wasn't intellectually hefty. I am claiming that MM is a better show by the slimmest of margins because it takes on more themes, more subjects, a more comprehensive view of the American idea than does BB and does so with aplomb at least equal to that of BB.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 6786834)
Oh Mad Men,

Is that a good show?

I've been looking for a new one now that Lost is over.

Mad Men is either 1a or 1b in terms of best shows on TV right now.

Buck 05-28-2010 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6786883)
You're not making sense to me. I didn't once say that BB wasn't intellectually hefty. I am claiming that MM is a better show by the slimmest of margins because it takes on more themes, more subjects, a more comprehensive view of the American idea than does BB and does so with aplomb at least equal to that of BB.

Mad Men is either 1a or 1b in terms of best shows on TV right now.

Care to give me a general plot?

I dont want to look it up for fear of spoilers.

Thig Lyfe 05-28-2010 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 6786896)
Care to give me a general plot?

I dont want to look it up for fear of spoilers.

The creative director of a Madison Avenue ad agency in the 1960s puts it in the butt of countless beautiful women. But he is haunted by his mysterious past...

Buck 05-28-2010 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SportsRacer (Post 6786952)
The creative director of a Madison Avenue ad agency in the 1960s puts it in the butt of countless beautiful women. But he is haunted by his mysterious past...

Awesome.

Buck 05-29-2010 02:29 AM

Real quick,

Is Mad Men a show for DVD or Blu-Ray?