ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports **2012 Sporting Kansas City\Soccer Thread** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=252792)

CHENZ A! 12-27-2011 03:13 PM

I just hate the idea of teal or CJ not starting. I know it's a good problem to have but where will everyone fit is what I want to know..

|Zach| 12-27-2011 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHENZ A! (Post 8239423)
I just hate the idea of teal or CJ not starting. I know it's a good problem to have but where will everyone fit is what I want to know..

Convey will be able to feed them the rock. We have a ton of attacking options it will be interesting to see how it all pans out. I wouldn't be surprised to see a different formation than last year to fit around our unique skill set.

|Zach| 12-31-2011 11:33 AM

Sporting News - Best of 2011 American Soccer

In the short term, the past year in American soccer will be remembered largely for the on-field failures, starting with the blown leads in the CONCACAF Gold Cup final and the Women’s World Cup final.

The MLS campaign started off in frustrating fashion as well, with a glut of ties and several horrific injuries dominating conversation. Meanwhile, Real Salt Lake’s agonizing home loss in the CONCACAF Champions League decider was downright depressing.

But there were plenty of positives. Some actually happened on the field as the MLS season was redeemed with a compelling stretch run, some excellent playoff games and a deserving champion in the L.A. Galaxy. But it’s going to be the off-the-field news that marks 2011’s place in U.S. soccer history. From the arrival of Jurgen Klinsmann and the three-way Cascadia rivalry to the historic broadcast deal between MLS and NBC, many of the year’s highlights were about positioning the sport for greater growth in the long term.

With a newsworthy year drawing to a close, Sporting News looks back at the best and brightest of American soccer’s 2011:

Player of the year: Clint Dempsey

This one’s no contest. Dempsey was outstanding for both club and country, combining skill, will and results in a way that none of his countrymen can touch. He led the U.S. national team with five goals in 14 games (no one else scored more than three) and scored the winner in the 1-0 Gold Cup semifinal triumph over Panama, while proving to be a game-changer as an outside midfielder, a playmaker and a forward.

He also has been brilliant for Fulham, which is fighting to stay relevant in the English Premier League. Dempsey has nine goals for the club in all competitions since the start of the 2011-12 season and he had seven in the second half of the 2010-11 campaign, giving him 16 for the calendar year.

No American field player has starred at one of Europe’s big clubs. Dempsey has the tools if the opportunity comes along.

Story of the year: Klinsmann replaces Bob Bradley

In late July, more than a month after the U.S. lost to Mexico in the Gold Cup final, U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati finally landed the coach he’d been chasing since 2006.

Promised full control and paid $2.5 million per year, Klinsmann launched an ambitious quest to take American soccer toward the big time with a new outlook and philosophy that ran the gamut from youth development to jersey numbers. After 16 years, the U.S. once again had a foreign coach and in Klinsmann it had a World Cup winner whose unorthodox approach invited both hope and scrutiny.

“We talked 20 minutes before the (introductory) press conference (in Manhattan)," Gulati recalled. “I said, you understand there are a number of people, not necessarily in the room but out there, that believe right after the press conference you’re going to be walking across the Hudson River. He got it.”

Game of the year: Women’s World Cup quarterfinal

Abby Wambach’s last-gasp equalizer was just one of a host of “did that just happen?” moments over the course of more than 120 nail-biting minutes. From Rachel Buehler’s red card to Marta’s sublime overtime finish and from Megan Rapinoe’s unforgettable cross to Hope Solo’s shootout save, the quarterfinal in Dresden—which the U.S. won on penalty kicks after a 2-2 draw—offered gripping theater that captured the country’s attention and transcended the sport.

Game of the year involving an MLS team: CONCACAF Champions League finals, first leg

Real Salt Lake went to Monterrey in mid-April and played the sort of skillful, mature game we’ve been hoping to see from an MLS team at the highest level, coming from behind twice to forge a 2-2 draw on an eventful night at the Estadio Tecnológico.

Defender Nat Borchers tied the match just before halftime and RSL bent but didn’t break in the face of a Monterrey onslaught after falling behind again in the 63rd minute. In the 89th, RSL’s Javier Morales scored on a brilliant individual effort to put the MLS side in excellent position to claim the title.

VIDEO: Morales' goal

Best 15-20 minutes of the MLS season: Portland Timbers at D.C. United

Two clubs that ultimately would miss the MLS playoffs played a frenzied few minutes of desperate soccer Oct. 19 that included about a season’s worth of scoring chances and close calls that left the RFK Stadium crowd breathless.

“It felt like a schoolyard game,” D.C. midfielder Santino Quaranta told The Washington Post.

Playing to save their seasons, United had a goal disallowed and a penalty kick appeal turned down, the Timbers hit the crossbar and both goalkeepers made spectacular saves. Somehow, the game ended 1-1.

Top Hollywood moment not involving David Beckham: Charlie Davies’ debut

Davies’ D.C. United sojourn didn’t end well, but what a beginning he had. Returning to the city where his career (and life) nearly ended in a horrific 2009 car accident, Davies entered the March 19 season-opener against the Columbus Crew in the 52nd minute, converted a penalty kick in the 63rd and then scored a second on a fine run in the 77th.

“This has been like a storybook tonight,” Davies said. “I don’t think you could write this stuff. You can’t make this up.”

VIDEO: Davies' goal

Gutsiest decision: MLS fines Davies $1,000 for diving

As a league bridging sporting cultures, MLS is in a unique position to impact both. In late June, it accepted that responsibility and launched an effort to change soccer for the better by sanctioning Davies for his tumble against Real Salt Lake. The damage to Davies’ reputation far exceeded the damage to his bank account.

A month later, MLS fined and suspended RSL’s Alvaro Saborío for similar shenanigans.

“If you’re a general sports fan tuning into soccer or you’re a traditional fan of the sport, this is the one piece of behavior both sides agree that they hate,” MLS executive vice president Nelson Rodriguez told Sporting News.

Tweet of the year: Landon Donovan

Davies' dive that led to the June fine wasn’t Davies’ first of the year. In an April game against the L.A. Galaxy, Davies earned an 89th-minute, game-tying penalty kick after falling far too easily for Donovan’s liking.

In response, the U.S. star tweeted: "I got @CharlieDavies9 some gear in case he decides to dive again. Couldn't find a scuba mask though."

Attached to Donovan's tweet was a picture of a red beach towel and a swimsuit.

Most fitting conclusion: Three designated players combine for MLS Cup-winning goal

It really was the only way a team named for a collection of stars could finish off a spectacular season. With the MLS Cup final between the L.A. Galaxy and Houston Dynamo deadlocked, designated players Beckham (header), Robbie Keane (dribbling run and pass) and Donovan (finish) combined for the 72nd-minute clincher. The Galaxy got what they paid for.

VIDEO: Donovan’s goal

Best teammate: L.A. Galaxy MF/GK Mike Magee

The Galaxy’s championship wasn’t only about the big names. Their airtight defense featured a starting back four who’ve represented the U.S. a combined five times, and its roster was filled with players whose hard work gave the stars room to shine.

No one embodied that ethos like Magee, whose effort and diligence in left midfield led to eight MLS goals and whose selfless and improbably successful 47 minutes in goal against the San Jose Earthquakes in June typified his willingness to do whatever the situation required.

Naturally, he credited Donovan and Beckham with establishing the tone in the Galaxy locker room, but Magee’s willingness to be led while setting his own example represents the sort of behavior that builds championship teams.

“You know by our locker room and our atmosphere every day there are guys you want to fight for,” Magee told Sporting News.

He’s one of them.

Top showman: Vancouver Whitecaps F Eric Hassli

The Frenchman provided plenty of fireworks in an otherwise dour debut season for the Whitecaps. His 10 goals and league-leading three red cards were testament to the skill and passion with which he played. One of the ejections came after he earned a second yellow card for tossing his jersey into the stands while wearing another one underneath.

And, of course, Hassli scored the real MLS goal of the year, no matter what the voters say. His incredible chip and almost no-look volley from across the penalty area against the Seattle Sounders was world-class and arguably the most astonishing strike in MLS history.

Several notable players, including retired national team forwards Taylor Twellman and Alecko Eskandarian, agreed. The latter called it “one in a million.”

VIDEO: Hassli's goal

Best feel-good goal: Jozy Altidore

Sure, it came against Guadeloupe. But Altidore’s ninth-minute piledriver in the Gold Cup’s group stage finale sent an emphatic message that the beleaguered 21-year-old (now 22) would have his say as the national team continued its maddening pursuit of a striker who can score consistently.

Altidore missed the tournament’s climax with an injury but began the 2011-12 season with AZ Alkmaar with seven goals in under two months. When in form, Altidore remains the best hope the U.S. has up top.

VIDEO: Altidore's goal

Most historic result: FC Dallas wins at UNAM Pumas

In 25 competitive matches in Mexico, MLS clubs were 0-21-4. The U.S. national team was 0-23-1 all-time on Mexican soil. Then on Aug. 17, midfielder Marvin Chávez’s 66th-minute goal stood up against UNAM Pumas and FC Dallas broke the most infuriating curse in American soccer.

Cynics immediately pointed to the second-string team Pumas fielded that night in Mexico City, but that shouldn’t matter. It always seemed there were forces much larger than a coach’s lineup choices at work when any U.S. team headed south of the border. FC Dallas proved that winning was possible, and everyone associated with American soccer benefits from that confidence boost.

Cameo of the year: Freddy Adu

Adu was named to the Gold Cup team because Bradley wanted to see if he would stay quiet, work hard and behave like a pro. Playing time would be a bonus.

He got off the bench in the semifinal and helped set up Dempsey’s winning goal. On June 25, he was awarded a start the final against Mexico and was the Americans’ best player for significant stretches of the first hour, when it looked the U.S. had a chance.

Adu was confident, creative and full of the promise he showed as a teenager.

He hasn’t played for the U.S. since.

Most impressive work ethic: Wambach

The amount of sweat, effort and commitment the U.S. women’s national team star puts into a given game is evident not only in the grass and mud stains covering her when she leaves the field, but in the results.

That 122nd-minute goal against Brazil was no accident—she ran the length of the Rudolf-Harbig-Stadion field (while battling tendinitis in her right Achilles tendon) to get in position, and her late goals in both the semifinal and final are testament to her relentlessness.

It’s a shame that several teammates were unable to rise to the occasion against Japan—Wambach deserves a world championship.

Most welcome epiphany: MLS realizes the playoffs should be longer

Random results, questionable champions and complaints about an apparently meaningless regular season were the result of MLS’ stubborn insistence on a playoff format that required only four games to win the title.

In 2011, the league added two wild-card games that forced the winners to face each conference’s top seed on a short turnaround, giving the rested team a deserved advantage. Starting next year, the conference finals will be two games instead of one.

In 2012 and beyond, championship hopefuls will have to negotiate five or six games rather than four. It’s a significant difference that should produce worthy winners far more frequently.

Most welcome announcement: MLS signs TV deal with NBC

MLS has been on TV since Day 1 but few have noticed. Fox Soccer is a niche network, and ESPN habitually shies away from promoting the league or showing highlights on SportsCenter.

In August, MLS announced a new three-year, $30 million deal with NBC, which will broadcast both league and U.S. national team games over the air and on NBC Sports Network (the re-branded Versus network).

NBC's reach is tantalizing, and its promotion proved so attractive to the MLS officials that they reportedly turned down a more lucrative offer from Fox (ESPN remains a broadcast partner).

Best TV moment: Timbers Army's leads singing of the national anthem

The stirring scene at Jeld-Wen Field as the Timbers kicked off their home MLS schedule in April embodied the most attractive difference between attending a soccer game and going to any see any other major American sporting event: The atmosphere is loud, colorful and fan generated rather than marketer or scoreboard generated. The video of nearly 19,000 Timbers fans and their a cappella rendition of the national anthem went viral, and the idea was copied by the NBA’s Miami Heat a couple of weeks later.

VIDEO: The anthem

Best new brand: Portland Timbers

The Timbers got a lot right in their inaugural season, including the uniform. Instead of sticking to the lazy and tired trend of monochrome kits that could be worn by just about any team in the world, Portland wore a distinctive dark green-and-white primary uniform and a punchy red-and-white alternate that played on its “Rose City” nickname. They are classy, colorful, unique and a model for what MLS teams should look like.

Best MLS owners: Sporting Kansas City

OnGoal LLC, fronted by CEO Robb Heineman, bought the Kansas City Wizards in 2006. This year was their coming-out party. A new name, a stunning new stadium featuring a fan-friendly environment emphasizing social and technological innovations, a creative membership scheme and a commitment to on-field performance have transformed a formerly woebegone organization into a model franchise. Kansas City matters in American soccer, and the message sent to other struggling MLS originals is clear: There are no excuses. It can be done.

Most underreported story: Bradley coaches Egypt

An American getting hired to coach the national team of a country where soccer is the most popular sport is a significant indication of the increasing respect the world has for the American game.

An American coaching the national soccer team of the Arab world’s most populous nation (by far) is historic and transcends sport. Yet Bradley’s move to Egypt has been almost entirely ignored by the American media, which is unfortunate considering the symbolism and potential ramifications of the move.

Bradley’s charge: Qualify Egypt for the World Cup for the first time since 1990. If he does, perhaps the appreciation and respect for Bradley finally will match his achievements.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/soccer/s...#ixzz1i8OE9cCH

|Zach| 12-31-2011 04:32 PM

Fire fans have been stirring up a lot of shit lately. I really hope we beat the shit out of those mother ****ers next year.

Reaper16 12-31-2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 8248121)
Fire fans have been stirring up a lot of shit lately. I really hope we beat the shit out of those mother ****ers next year.

Links? What's the lo-down on this?

|Zach| 12-31-2011 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8248124)
Links? What's the lo-down on this?

On Twitter the official SKC account asked people what their favorite memory of Sporting's season was this past year?

A Fire Blogger responded with this...

https://twitter.com/#!/HotTimeOldTow...13564348416000
@SportingKC When Bratislav Ristic performed a world class tackle on Omar Bravo to preserve a #SportingKC shutout in the stadium opener.
Of course referring to this play which apparently wasn't a foul because Omar Bravo's bone wasn't sticking out of his leg.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/m7LjhCC6src" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Demonpenz 12-31-2011 07:00 PM

If you are tied with Sapong coming in...that is really nice

Braincase 12-31-2011 07:08 PM

I'm still learning how to watch the sport, but I have to admit my favorite moment of the season was towards the end of the season, against DC United when DC had an own-goal header for SKC to win.

|Zach| 01-01-2012 12:26 PM

International transfer window is open...

RELEASE THE HOOOUUUNNNDDDSSSSSSSSSSSS!

There are a lot of indications Sporting will be very active but no indications of when we should really start expecting news.

memyselfI 01-01-2012 12:53 PM

Congrats, Zach!

Your photo made it as one of the 2011 MLS Photos of the Year.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3218886&type=1

|Zach| 01-01-2012 12:56 PM

There are about a million other photos I would pick over some in that set but I really love the Timbers one.

|Zach| 01-01-2012 12:57 PM

I have some really fun stuff that unfortunatly I can't post right now. Really excited when I get the green light. There is a Zusi shot that looks like a gatorade ad.

memyselfI 01-01-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 8249726)
I have some really fun stuff that unfortunatly I can't post right now. Really excited when I get the green light. There is a Zusi shot that looks like a gatorade ad.

Can't wait to see them especially of Zusi. I think most of those they chose were not great. But the two SKC shots were sweet. Again, congrats.

Reaper16 01-01-2012 01:14 PM

Congrats!

memyselfI 01-05-2012 01:09 PM

New schedule was released.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/schedule?mo..._schedule_form

|Zach| 01-05-2012 01:37 PM

My first glance reactions.

- SKC is part of 7 nationally televised games ALL at LSP. The league really wants that stadium to shine. 2 on ESPN. 4 on NBC Sports. 1 on Galavision.

- From a competitive stand point this schedule feels very favorable. We play LA and Seattle once...Dallas once. Lots of points to be had in this schedule. Unbalanced schedule really hits you when you see all those Eastern Conference games.

- Road trip wise this is a very "meh" deal. Seems like the club and supporters groups are really gearing up to make the Chicago road trip a big deal which is May 12th. Away game at Portland could be nice but pricey. We don't go to Dallas. The big shitty thing is two trips that a lot of people could make reasonably across the span of a season (Colorado+Chiacgo) are one right after the other.

CHENZ A! 01-05-2012 01:54 PM

I have to get in on that Chicago trip this yr.

|Zach| 01-05-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHENZ A! (Post 8266261)
I have to get in on that Chicago trip this yr.

Yea, I think it is going to be a big ****ing deal. I know that has been the plan pre schedule.

Fansy the Famous Bard 01-05-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 8266305)
Yea, I think it is going to be a big ****ing deal. I know that has been the plan pre schedule.

I did that trip last year and had an absolute blast.

Fansy the Famous Bard 01-05-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 8249610)
International transfer window is open...

RELEASE THE HOOOUUUNNNDDDSSSSSSSSSSSS!

There are a lot of indications Sporting will be very active but no indications of when we should really start expecting news.

For Clarification the US transfer window doesn't start till January 21st. So we've got a couple of weeks still to remain in limbo on any deals.

CHENZ A! 01-05-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 8266305)

I was kicking myself for not going last year. It's even more appealing for me because I have fam in Chicago.

|Zach| 01-05-2012 09:23 PM

So, aside from the away trip to Chicago the most movement and organization amongst supporters is towards a swing around the great Northwest. It is a lot less money than I would have ever figured.

Sporting plays Vancouver on the 18th and Portland on the 21st of April.

We are finding flights really reasonable.

KC ---> SEA via plane
SEA ---> VAN via train (watch Whitecaps game)
VAN ---> POR via train (watch Timbers game)
POR ---> KC

Looks like we can pull it off for about 400 not including a place to stay.

|Zach| 01-05-2012 09:27 PM

The rolled out one of my shots for their official schedule wall paper. download that shiittttttttttt

http://www.sportingkc.com/sites/kans...0for%20Web.jpg

http://www.sportingkc.com/members/wallpapers

|Zach| 01-05-2012 11:29 PM

This is a *great* run down on some different intracies of the schedule especially in regards to planning your summer around different games and happenings in KC. Just a warning some of the commentary with the local events is sort of silly. Why in the world would you want an SKC game to be going on around the time a NASCAR event would be going on. Wah?

All credit to Ad Astra KC for this post. Check out his website.

http://www.adastraskc.org/2012/01/sp...ce=twitterfeed

Sporting KC 2012 Schedule with Analysis, Stats

Hooray the MLS 2012 schedule is finally here so we can at least talk about something other than potential sponsors for the kit! Check out the Sporting blog post on the schedule to get links to download a desktop background with the schedule, import the schedule into various phones, and other info. With the schedule out I wanted to compile a list of observations by myself and others.

Here is the spreadsheet I have been working from if you want to take a look and see if you find any interesting items or trends.

Unbalanced Schedule

With 10 teams in the East and 9 in the west, MLS has gone with an unbalanced schedule. Many have griped, but that doesn't change the fact that it exists so let's see how it may benefit or hinder Sporting.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-AV4rhMOgdO...y+sporting.jpg

Getting to play three tough Western conference opponents at Home is a big benefit. It is also nice to have Houston and Chicago at home twice given the playoffs last year and the real/fake rivalry with Chicago. Hopefully New England and Toronto will give us some high scoring affairs that will please the home crowd as well. Overall I am pretty pleased with how the unbalanced schedule played out in Sporting's favor.

Conflicts/Synergies with Major Events

Local

March Madness - 3/17 Home Opener vs. New England - Same night as 3rd Round of NCAA Basketball Tournament. Don;t really think it will be too big of a deal since it is opening night, which would be expected to be a sell out regardless of other events. 3/25 at home also is the same night as the Elite Eight, so if local teams like KU, K-State or Mizzou are playing might put a small dent in attendance. But no SKC games conflict with any game nights in the Final Four.

NASCAR - No Sporting games are during NASCAR weekends (April 22, October 21) although part of me thinks there might be an interesting synergy if they timed it right to get some of the 80,000+ people going to the races a package deal on tickets to a soccer game across the street. I just hope we see a Sporting KC die cast NASCAR in the stores this year.

MLB All-Star Week in Kansas City - 7/7 vs Houston - I actually think this might work well for Sporting. A lot of visitors in town might pick this as a non-baseball sporting event to go to if they are in town for the week. In fact I think that would be a god way to market it to Houston fans, if only their poor Astros were good enough to have some All-Stars to watch during the baseball game 7/10.

Chiefs games: No fall dates are on the same day as a Chiefs game away or home. No back to back Chiefs/Sporting games this year.

National/International

Olympics - The Olympic soccer tournament in London goes from July 25th to August 11th. That covers 3 games for Sporting: 7/28 vs Columbus, 8/4 at New England, and 8/11 vs. DCU. The Gold Medal match will be played on 8/11 at 3pm London time, meaning we can watch the US and Teal Bunbury win the Gold medal at 9am before the DC game. (Note: the US has not even qualified yet for the Olympics, but you can watch them do that at Livestrong Park though in March and April!)

FIFA/CONCACAF Dates - the MLS stretched the season to avoid these important dates when your best players may be called up to their national teams. A few teams mutually agreed to move games to these dates but Sporting was not one of them.

Holidays

St. Patrick's Day - 3/17 vs New England - You can bet they will play up the Irish theme with this one against Boston's lost team. I really hope they don't wear green uniforms though. That just smacks of minor league baseball and we have already been there.

Cinco de Mayo - 5/5 vs Montreal - Not really the Spanish side you might be expecting but hey it is the return of Davy Arnaud to LSP so that is a reason to celebrate right? And playing an expansion team, might be just the thing the fans need to give us even more reason to have a good time.

Memorial Day Weekend - Sunday 5/27 vs San Jose - Nothing special here, but maybe with the long weekend more people might come out and tailgate before and after the early start game (3:30pm). Maybe an excuse to have a Parking lot BBQ competition?

Fourth of July - 7/4 at Montreal - yes the team will be away so no fireworks, but that gives you a chance to have a good Sporting KC themed party at your house. Invite people over to watch the early game (6:30p) and then light your fireworks (safely people!)

Labor Day Weekend - Saturday 9/1 vs. Toronto - Early in the holiday weekend. Again maybe a BBQ competition and long tailgate? Maybe Toronto will remember to bring their team player images this year.

Travel Opportunities

As many people have pointed out on Twitter two pairs of road games are only 3 days apart and within car/bus/train distance of each other that you could make a little Sporting vacation out of it: 4/18, 4/21 Vancouver, Portland AND 9/19,9/22 New York, Montreal. Apparently the Cauldron has made claims on at least one of them as THE road trip of the year. Also don't overlook the chance to check out Houston's new soccer specific stadium on Wed 7/18. The kids will be out of school so take two days off and make it a road trip.

Some other interesting stats/observations:

Full sched- Mean and Median length between games is 6.91 and 7. Min is 3, Max is 20.
Home games - Mean and Median length between games is 14.81 and 14.5, Min is 7, Max is 27.
Away games - Mean and Median length between games is 13.97 and 13.5, Min is 3, Max is 32.

Sporting KC ends the season on 10/24 at home. The rest of the MLS including Philly have to play on either the 28th or 29th setting us up for a little extra rest time prior to the playoffs. Nice.

Sporting will be on seven nationally televised broadcasts and all of these amazingly are at Livestrong! So let's make that crowd look good Kansas City. 4 are on NBC Sports, 2 on ESPN2, and one on Galavision. in 2011, 11 was on ESPN2, 3 on Fox Sports, and 1 on Galavision. An improvement but sadly only places Sporting 12th out of 19 teams for national television appearances. Of course NY and LA lead with 21 and 20 respectively. Who am I surprised to see get more screen time: Chivas (12), Dallas (12) DC (12), Chicago (14). Why would anyone want to watch Chicago or New York, they both tied 16 games apiece in 2011?!

|Zach| 01-08-2012 09:10 PM

Seems bad luck has fallen upon us.

There has been a DP from Spain Robb had been alluding to for a while as potential January signing. Apparently this mystery player got hurt and might not be an option for us.

He says he is talks with a "long shot" from Europe.

Trevo_410 01-08-2012 09:12 PM

ronaldo, make it happen

Trevo_410 01-08-2012 09:14 PM

http://www.betinf.com/spain_injured.htm

Demonpenz 01-08-2012 09:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
walk the "goal" line

Trevo_410 01-08-2012 09:18 PM

zach, you know the maximum amount of $$ on a dp contract?

Trevo_410 01-08-2012 09:21 PM

Also,, what position do we got the least depth at at this moment?

|Zach| 01-08-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevo_410 (Post 8277816)
zach, you know the maximum amount of $$ on a dp contract?

There is none...that is what makes DP special. MLS has a salary cap but they also want to be able to bring in premier or closer to premier players so to strike that balance each team has two DP spots which are contracts that are outside of the rules of the cap.

So spend it if you got it.

|Zach| 01-08-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevo_410 (Post 8277824)
Also,, what position do we got the least depth at at this moment?

We are a solid team all around. We could prob use another midfielder and CB depth.

Trevo_410 01-08-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 8277827)
There is none...that is what makes DP special. MLS has a salary cap but they also want to be able to bring in premier or closer to premier players so to strike that balance each team has two DP spots which are contracts that are outside of the rules of the cap.

So spend it if you got it.

ahh i see... interesting...:hmmm:

|Zach| 01-08-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevo_410 (Post 8277838)
ahh i see... interesting...:hmmm:

Yea it is an interesting balance. That way the NYs and LAs of the world can get some bad ass talent but not fill their whole team with it. Meanwhile a team like KC can pony up for 1 or 2 big time contract players without being fiscally irresponsible.

|Zach| 01-08-2012 09:27 PM

Even though NY doesn't have shit in its trophy case after all these years. LMAO

Demonpenz 01-08-2012 09:30 PM

That nascar idea is the worst thing I have read ...ever.

Demonpenz 01-08-2012 09:31 PM

Rocastle signed with the Comets.

|Zach| 01-08-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 8277863)
That nascar idea is the worst thing I have read ...ever.

Uh yea, there was some good info in that whole thing but when he sprinkled in his own ideas into the mix there was truly some face palm shit.

Trevo_410 01-08-2012 09:32 PM

these guys need to be added in the youth system... BEAST mode,, changed FOHS soccer all around this year...

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/10/17...-building.html

Demonpenz 01-08-2012 09:41 PM

Is there any rule changes?

|Zach| 01-08-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 8277898)
Is there any rule changes?

Nothing I am aware of. I will be hitting the convention and draft pretty hard so maybe something will pop up there I am not sure.

Seems like they are shaking up the way the refs are hired and managed and that whole system. They got crazy heat last year.

|Zach| 01-08-2012 09:48 PM

Are you getting season tix at all or do you just hit up seats as they come up? Seems you were pretty consistently in the west stands towards the end of the Cauldron though I think I remember you being in the south stands some as well.

It will be really nice having home games spaced out like a normal season. All those games one after the other hit the bank account.

Demonpenz 01-08-2012 09:49 PM

That Davy non call in the box last year. Wow. Not to go back to that game at all. That one was bad.

Trevo_410 01-08-2012 09:52 PM

do you know of any college soccer/mls draft/really good mls news websites to get updates from and such?

|Zach| 01-08-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 8277931)
That Davy non call in the box last year. Wow. Not to go back to that game at all. That one was bad.

You talking about the playoff game? Interestingly enough that was about 8 ft away from me and the non call was legit. The big monstrous horrible call of that game was around the same point in the match when Collin got KILLED in the box while a ball was being played in and nothing happened.

|Zach| 01-08-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevo_410 (Post 8277946)
do you know of any college soccer/mls draft/really good mls news websites to get updates from and such?

SoccerByIves.net is kind of your one stop shop for all of that. Really love that site. From an American perspective.

Demonpenz 01-08-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 8277929)
Are you getting season tix at all or do you just hit up seats as they come up? Seems you were pretty consistently in the west stands towards the end of the Cauldron though I think I remember you being in the south stands some as well.

It will be really nice having home games spaced out like a normal season. All those games one after the other hit the bank account.

I think I will buy them as they come. I really have to take it one day at a time in my life, buying them as I can make sure I can go fits that whole deal.

|Zach| 01-08-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 8277956)
I think I will buy them as they come. I really have to take it one day at a time in my life, buying them as I can make sure I can go fits that whole deal.

Yea makes perfect sense.

Trevo_410 01-08-2012 10:11 PM

another question if you're still on, what is a generation adidas contract mean?

|Zach| 01-08-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevo_410 (Post 8277996)
another question if you're still on, what is a generation adidas contract mean?

Yea no prob.

Generation adidas players do not count against the MLS senior roster and usually earn a much higher salary than the league minimum. Entering into the program automatically classifies a player as professional, and thus disqualifies them from playing college soccer. As a result, Generation adidas players are also guaranteed scholarships to continue their college education should their professional career not pan out.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/m...d-costs-010512

|Zach| 01-08-2012 11:20 PM

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/34667317?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/34667317">MLS Superdraft Promo</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user7207575">Rick Riley</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

|Zach| 01-10-2012 09:34 AM

Anyone else hitting up the draft on Thursday? There is going to be a whole crew of us.

Fansy the Famous Bard 01-10-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 8282195)
Anyone else hitting up the draft on Thursday? There is going to be a whole crew of us.

I want to, but this work thing keeps getting in the way. :deevee:

|Zach| 01-10-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 8282196)
I want to, but this work thing keeps getting in the way. :deevee:

Boo to having a real job. But yay to the fact that it gives you money!

CHENZ A! 01-10-2012 09:51 AM

Yeah, I'll be working too, but it's televised I believe. saw in the email that they're giving out skc beanies too.. Zach, if you're at all able to get your hands on an extra one I'll buy you a beer or something! :D

|Zach| 01-10-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHENZ A! (Post 8282218)
Yeah, I'll be working too, but it's televised I believe. saw in the email that they're giving out skc beanies too.. Zach, if you're at all able to get your hands on an extra one I'll buy you a beer or something! :D

I bet I will be able to nab one for you. Mostly because of my good looks.

CHENZ A! 01-10-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 8282226)
I bet I will be able to nab one for you. Mostly because of my good looks.

That would kick ass, I'd really appreciate it!

Demonpenz 01-10-2012 10:02 AM

What does DP stand for?

CHENZ A! 01-10-2012 10:02 AM

Early season home games, and hopefully more home playoff games has me thinking I'm gonna need some skc cold gear.

CHENZ A! 01-10-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 8282255)
What does DP stand for?

Designated player

Fansy the Famous Bard 01-10-2012 10:07 AM

Beanies? Ah crap, I may be sick on Thursday... Where ya'll meeting up?

|Zach| 01-10-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHENZ A! (Post 8282261)
Early season home games, and hopefully more home playoff games has me thinking I'm gonna need some skc cold gear.

I went to Dick's Sporting Goods and got a hoodie I like a whole lot.

|Zach| 01-10-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 8282273)
Beanies? Ah crap, I may be sick on Thursday... Where ya'll meeting up?

Breakfast for free from the MLS at Johnny's at 8am then walking to the draft at 10:15. Draft starts at 11.

This doc lays out the events for KC supporters pretty well.

https://docs.google.com/document/pub...RgO1m3ZLMCyM80

|Zach| 01-10-2012 10:16 AM

Robb just tweeted this...

Working on 3 contracts. 2 renewals and a newbie. None is DP. Probably announced early next week to keep out of draft noise

CHENZ A! 01-10-2012 10:26 AM

I would love for us to get a big name DP. I think we are really going to miss Bravo. Withe Davy and him both gone, who do you all think gets the captain armband?

Fansy the Famous Bard 01-10-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHENZ A! (Post 8282317)
I would love for us to get a big name DP. I think we are really going to miss Bravo. Withe Davy and him both gone, who do you all think gets the captain armband?

Besler

Fansy the Famous Bard 01-10-2012 10:33 AM

As far as a DP, doesn't look like any are on our radar atm. With the Spanish DP we were looking at getting injured, we're kind of left out in the cold on that front. Tough luck there, but we have a very good team as it stands. They will continue to search, but aren't going to sign someone just because people feel we need a "DP". Hell, the Jeferson signing last season came out of nowhere. Robb and co have shown their willingness to put the best product on the field they can. They have a desire and passion to win and will open the wallet if they see the right fit.

Best owners in KC.

|Zach| 01-10-2012 10:41 AM

Besler or Jimmy are often talked about Captain wise.

|Zach| 01-10-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 8282332)
As far as a DP, doesn't look like any are on our radar atm. With the Spanish DP we were looking at getting injured, we're kind of left out in the cold on that front. Tough luck there, but we have a very good team as it stands. They will continue to search, but aren't going to sign someone just because people feel we need a "DP". Hell, the Jeferson signing last season came out of nowhere. Robb and co have shown their willingness to put the best product on the field they can. They have a desire and passion to win and will open the wallet if they see the right fit.

Best owners in KC.

I would be surprised if they still didn't try and make a big splash.

|Zach| 01-11-2012 09:09 AM

Imgine it is Besler and Zusi we are closed to locking up.

|Zach| 01-11-2012 09:21 AM

Soccer finds its mecca in KC

Convention, which begins today and will feature MLS SuperDraft, adds to big year in KC.

During the summer and fall months, Kansas City certainly felt like the epicenter of soccer in the United States.

With feverish anticipation, Livestrong Sporting Park opened and quickly established itself as soccer’s new national cathedral and arguably the top soccer-specific facility coast to coast.

Both the U.S. men’s and women’s national teams dropped in for games. International darlings Newcastle and Chivas Guadalajara also made appearances. And throughout it all Sporting Kansas City took fans on a wild ride from dead last after a season-opening 10-game road trip to the top of the Eastern Conference table by late September.

But as 2012 opens, Kansas City truly has become the beating heart of soccer nationwide — at least for the next five days — as the National Soccer Coaches Association of America begins its annual convention today downtown, which is expected to draw more than 4,000 coaches and 5,000 more attendees.

The centerpiece, at least in terms of glitz and attention, is Thursday’s MLS SuperDraft, which begins at 11 a.m. in the Kansas City Convention Center’s Grand Ballroom and is open to the public.

But that is only one small part of the goings-on.

The 65th annual convention, which is billed as “the world’s largest annual gathering of soccer coaches” as well as “the largest soccer trade show in the U.S,” features an exhibition of soccer-related technology and equipment, as well as dozens of seminars and discussions on topics ranging from tactics to skill-building practice routines, from marketing to tips for youth coaches.

“I like to refer to this week as Christmas for soccer coaches,” said Craig Bohnert, NSCAA assistant executive director for communications. “There will be an opportunity to learn about really anything and everything with regard to soccer.”

And to learn it from the best.

Sporting KC manager Peter Vermes will be among the featured clinic leaders along with former U.S. women’s national team coach April Heinrichs and former MLS MVP Taylor Twellman.

Tom Byer, who is credited as one of the pioneers of Japan’s grassroots soccer movement, which netted the Women’s World Cup last summer, will lead several sessions along with numerous other well-respected soccer minds, including Australia women’s national-team coach Tom Sermanni and Germany men’s under-20 national-team coach Frank Wormuth.

So, in some ways, Kansas City becomes an international soccer hub for the weekend.

Sessions and clinics are closed to the public, but one-day passes to the trade show Friday and Saturday are available for $25.

The weekend also includes presentation of the yearly NSCAA awards as well as Hall of Fame inductions, but the central focus — as echoed by this year’s convention theme, “Learn. Participate. Belong.” — will be about uniting the U.S. soccer community and empowering the sport’s continued growth.

To reach Tod Palmer, sports reporter for The Star, call 816-234-7732 or send email to tpalmer@kcstar.com

Trevo_410 01-11-2012 10:40 PM

zach, you ever played this soccer sim at soccermanager.com? just found it and it looks quite badass imo

|Zach| 01-12-2012 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevo_410 (Post 8287350)
zach, you ever played this soccer sim at soccermanager.com? just found it and it looks quite badass imo

Looks compelling....also looks like a bit of a time suck. Haha

Fansy the Famous Bard 01-12-2012 08:26 AM

Damn I wish I was at Johnny's right now.... *sigh*

Demonpenz 01-12-2012 10:07 AM

I hope everyone is having a good time. Spppoooorting Kansas city!

CHENZ A! 01-12-2012 11:55 AM

I've got the draft on TV here at the office, and you can hear our supporters loud and clear. Very cool, wish I was there

CHENZ A! 01-12-2012 12:27 PM

Seeing a bunch of familiar faces.

CHENZ A! 01-12-2012 12:31 PM

Just saw Zach again. Looks like a lot of fun.

memyselfI 01-12-2012 01:07 PM

OH, this got the SKC juices flowing again. I have missed them so much and to think they start camp NEXT WEEK makes me sooooo happy.

The Cauldron looked great and the production was nice on the KC end. Once again we see how the MLS is bush league. The number one pick wasn't even there? Lame.

And Lexi Lawless, so glad I heard him say something nice about Livestrong because he makes me rethink my pacifist stance. 'He has to earn the autograph.' F/U you ginger prick.

LMAO

Fansy the Famous Bard 01-12-2012 01:14 PM

Sporting takes Englishman and South Florida forward Dom Dwyer