ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Mellinger: Now is the time for Chiefs to make bold move at QB (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=255080)

Pasta Little Brioni 01-15-2012 04:27 PM

This team with a young, high-level QB = Dynasty.

Easy 6 01-15-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donkhater (Post 8299446)
It would be nice to get excited about the Chiefs again.

Yep, just look at how Stafford has affected not only that team, but the entire city.

Fix that one position here & the town would be Lady GaGa.

Pioli would go from Pariah to Pope.

BigChiefFan 01-15-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 8299100)
I think Grbac was a FA.

Yeah-my bad. The 'ol memory "ain't" what it used to be. I did a half-assed search and Grbac and 49ers set with two first rounders came up in the search.

O.city 01-15-2012 05:10 PM

Here is whats gonna happen.

The Phins will pick up Orton in free agency. The Skins pick up Manning in free agency. Matt Flynn goes to the Browns in free agency.

We win the cointoss with the Seahawks getting the 11 pick.

RGIII falls all the way down the board to us at 11, with all the other teams having their qb.

Messier 01-15-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8299733)

The Phins will pick up Orton in free agency. The Skins pick up Manning in free agency. Matt Flynn goes to the Browns in free agency.

RGIII falls all the way down the board to us at 11, with all the other teams having their qb.

Here's what I think happens. Orton goes to either Miami or Sea. Wash trades up past Clev to take RG3. Manning stays with the Colts. The browns either get Flynn or stay with their crappy QB. We stay with our crappy QB. Coin toss winner doesn't matter and we take the BPA.

whoman69 01-15-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8299733)

If some of the other teams make a move before the draft, that will make the price of moving up that much less.

O.city 01-15-2012 05:38 PM

I think some of that stuff will happen, qb wise.

I think Manning and probably Orton will be in place before the draft.

If i were a Gm I'd do stuff like that before the draft, to know where I need to look at going.

O.city 01-15-2012 05:48 PM

To agree with the OP, now is the time to make a bold move at qb.

The talent is there.

RealSNR 01-15-2012 06:07 PM

I want to take a ride in a time machine for a second:

September 30, 2011:

-"SUCK FOR LUCK!!!"
-"Dude, moron. You never root against your team. If the Chiefs need to draft a QB, they can trade up for one."

Now let's go back to the present:

What do we hear? People want to pay far out the ass to get Luck or RGIII.

What do the "you can trade up to get a QB" people say?

"Too expensive."

:facepalm:

OnTheWarpath15 01-15-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8300078)

September 30, 2011:

-"SUCK FOR LUCK!!!"
-"Dude, moron. You never root against your team. If the Chiefs need to draft a QB, they can trade up for one."

"Too expensive."

Rep.

Messier 01-15-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8300078)

September 30, 2011:

-"SUCK FOR LUCK!!!"

"Too expensive."

Yeah, I'll still never root for them to lose. Luck or no Luck. I almost did it in the Colts game, and I felt unclean.

O.city 01-15-2012 06:15 PM

The Chiefs, at this point have too much talent to get a high enough pick in the next few years to get a quarterback, unless he falls to us.

Everybody cross your fingers that something crazy happens this year and RGIII falls to us at 11.

With the Chiefs luck tho, they will lose the coinflip to the Seahawks and RGIII will fall to 11 and get picked by them

RealSNR 01-15-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 8300108)
Yeah, I'll still never root for them to lose. Luck or no Luck. I almost did it in the Colts game, and I felt unclean.

I'd rather feel unclean than feel hopeless

Messier 01-15-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8300128)
The Chiefs, at this point have too much talent to get a high enough pick in the next few years to get a quarterback, unless he falls to us.

Everybody cross your fingers that something crazy happens this year and RGIII falls to us at 11.

With the Chiefs luck tho, they will lose the coinflip to the Seahawks and RGIII will fall to 11 and get picked by them

RG3 is not getting past #5.

O.city 01-15-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 8300135)
RG3 is not getting past #5.

I don't think he will but crazier shit has happened.

Something has to fall right for the Chiefs for once.

NJChiefsFan 01-15-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

I think we already did lose the coin toss didn't we?

milkman 01-15-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 8300355)
I think we already did lose the coin toss didn't we?

Coin toss takes place at the combines.

RealSNR 01-15-2012 07:15 PM

If you think about it, it wasn't that long ago when the Steelers had a perfectly Martyocre team who lacked direction and toughness in the playoffs. They had their defense built, still sucked on offense, and Bettis was getting towards the end of the line. Some 7-9 seasons started to creep in, and they were pretty much stuck as a franchise.

What happened? They lucked into a godsend. They got lucky during one of those 7-9 seasons and a franchise QB fell to them. There's no way somebody like that should have fallen, but he did, and now look.

The Chiefs are in that very same trap right now. It looks like they've got two pipedream prayers:

#1- Ricky Stanzi is Brady

#2- Scott Pioli all of a sudden becomes not a ****ing idiot, a QB like Tannehill improves his draft stock immensely, we roll the dice and draft him, and he turns into another Roethlisberger.

Let the hope begin.

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-15-2012 07:23 PM

You have to admit bringing back Cassel as starter will be a pretty bold move for a GM who pretends to care about every little thing being just right. What he obviously means is every little thing except the most important position on the actual football team.

Bold. Very, very bold.

O.city 01-15-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8300569)
If you think about it, it wasn't that long ago when the Steelers had a perfectly Martyocre team who lacked direction and toughness in the playoffs. They had their defense built, still sucked on offense, and Bettis was getting towards the end of the line. Some 7-9 seasons started to creep in, and they were pretty much stuck as a franchise.

What happened? They lucked into a godsend. They got lucky during one of those 7-9 seasons and a franchise QB fell to them. There's no way somebody like that should have fallen, but he did, and now look.

The Chiefs are in that very same trap right now. It looks like they've got two pipedream prayers:

#1- Ricky Stanzi is Brady

#2- Scott Pioli all of a sudden becomes not a ****ing idiot, a QB like Tannehill improves his draft stock immensely, we roll the dice and draft him, and he turns into another Roethlisberger.

Let the hope begin.

This.

Or by some grace of Tebow, all the teams above us needing a qb sign free agents or decide to keep the guys they have and RGIII falls into our laps.

RealSNR 01-15-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beer me (Post 8300592)
You have to admit bringing back Cassel as starter will be a pretty bold move for a GM who pretends to care about every little thing being just right. What he obviously means is every little thing except the most important position on the actual football team.

Bold. Very, very bold.

I would say he watched Alex Smith this season and imagines all the fancy shit he'll be able to do with Matt Cassel if he gets with the right coach, but that would be giving Pioli too much credit. That would be implying that Pioli thinks there's something wrong with Cassel, and that he needs to be fixed.

I'd be willing to bet that Pioli thinks Cassel's diarrhea smells like spring flowers in bloom after a refreshing rain shower.

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-15-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8300599)
I would say he watched Alex Smith this season and imagines all the fancy shit he'll be able to do with Matt Cassel if he gets with the right coach, but that would be giving Pioli too much credit. That would be implying that Pioli thinks there's something wrong with Cassel, and that he needs to be fixed.

I'd be willing to bet that Pioli thinks Cassel's diarrhea smells like spring flowers in bloom after a refreshing rain shower.

I tend to agree with you there. Other than his ego I can't think of any actual reason why Pioli does Pioli things.

O.city 01-15-2012 07:32 PM

I don't get the Cassel thing. Anyway, there is good news.

In 2 years when we have defensive carried 8 and 8 seasons after continually putting weapons aroudn Matt Cassel we can start all over again.

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-15-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8300620)
I don't get the Cassel thing. Anyway, there is good news.

In 2 years when we have defensive carried 8 and 8 seasons after continually putting weapons aroudn Matt Cassel we can start all over again.

And sadly starting all over again is what Chiefs fans consider good news much of the time.

O.city 01-15-2012 07:42 PM

I think part of me wants them to trade up to get Luck just becasuse of what it will say to the rest of the league.

"We are serious about this and wanna win, we are doing whatever it takes to get hte best players."

The other part of me thinks Luck will be better than Manning was/is. The dude does stuff at the collegiate level that half NFL qbs can't even do.

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-15-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8300655)
I think part of me wants them to trade up to get Luck just becasuse of what it will say to the rest of the league.

"We are serious about this and wanna win, we are doing whatever it takes to get hte best players."

The other part of me thinks Luck will be better than Manning was/is. The dude does stuff at the collegiate level that half NFL qbs can't even do.

So one part of you wants Luck and the other part thinks he's really good... how about the 3rd part?

;)

O.city 01-15-2012 08:06 PM

There are alot of parts in there, so who knows.

I think that if we could give up picks and keep enough to get solid depth and get Luck, we could be SB contenders in 2 years.

I don't really see any other situation that presents itself that could get us there that fast.

Estron 01-15-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 8297219)
IDK bout others, but I'd give up this years 1st, next years 1st, and this years 2nd for RG3. No problem.

That's very easy to say when they aren't yours to give up and no one in the Chiefs organization values your opinion on the matter.

Estron 01-15-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okie_Apparition (Post 8299336)
When is KC EVER going to grow their own HC & not go after a retread
We'll be patient, honest injun

Who is included in this "we"? You know that after the first year, there will be people on ChiefsPlanet saying "not the right guy, fire the s.o.b.!"

Bewbies 01-15-2012 08:19 PM

The Giants gave up Philip Rivers, Nate Kaeding, Roidman, and Roman Oben. They got Eli Manning. The Chargers got 4 pro-bowlers, the Giants got a Super Bowl win, and look like they could get another this year....

There isn't a person in NY that doesn't make that trade again. Bold moves win Super Bowls.

O.city 01-15-2012 08:22 PM

In the last ten years the Chargers have drafted

Rivers
Manning
Brees

Think Spanos knows something we don't?

SDChiefs 01-15-2012 08:37 PM

Giants drafted rivers.

Okie_Apparition 01-15-2012 08:38 PM

I bet it said NOW IS TIME FOR CHIEFS TO MAKE A BALD MOVE AT QB
& nobody caught it until a Chief's official called in

milkman 01-15-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8300801)
In the last ten years the Chargers have drafted

Rivers
Manning
Brees

Think Spanos knows something we don't?

And has retained AJ Smith and Norv Turner.

My guess.

He's an idiot savant.

O.city 01-15-2012 08:41 PM

Sorry, Rivers was drafted by the Giants.

I'm off a little.

And I meant AJ Smith, not Spanos.

FloridaMan88 01-15-2012 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 8300787)
The Giants gave up Philip Rivers, Nate Kaeding, Roidman, and Roman Oben. They got Eli Manning. The Chargers got 4 pro-bowlers, the Giants got a Super Bowl win, and look like they could get another this year....

There isn't a person in NY that doesn't make that trade again. Bold moves win Super Bowls.

Agreed.

The constraints of mediocrity are preventing people on this board from even considering the possibility of the Chiefs trading up to draft RGIII.

O.city 01-15-2012 09:03 PM

I wouldn't mind getting RGIII, but I'd love to have Luck.

I think this roster is ready for a run and Luck could be ready in 2 years.

evolve27 01-15-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8300993)

Id go fuggin bezerk if we were to get Luck. I'd give future first round picks and more for him to be a Chief. Polio will eradicate the Chiefs before he pulls off a bold move like that though.

NJChiefsFan 01-15-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8300597)
This.

Or by some grace of God's anointed NFL disciple, all the teams above us needing a qb sign free agents or decide to keep the guys they have and RGIII falls into our laps.

The issue I see with this is that I still don't think he makes it us. For example, say KC was sitting at the Browns spot. The Chiefs have cut Cassel and signed Orton. Do you still draft RG3. I do, and thats why I think other teams getting a vet QB does not take them out of the RG3 race.

Bewbies 01-15-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8300993)

Luck is more of a Pioli pick. Higher floor, lower ceiling. I don't think he even gets to have a discussion about drafting Luck though. I don't see Indy moving off that pick for anything other than STL wanting to trade up to take RG3. (which of course isn't happening)

tredadda 01-15-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 8299077)
I think everybody realizes the importance of a franchise QB, but trading 3 firsts can really cripple your team.

Well in the last three years we kept our 1sts and got TJ, Berry, and Baldwin. We still finished 7-9 this year. Why? Because our QB play was absolutely atrocious. 1st round picks are too overvalued. It is assumed every 1st rounder will succeed. That is just not the case. I have no problems giving up three first rounders for Luck. One franchise QB is worth more to a team than three "potential" 1st round players. Besides there is still rounds 2-7 for the next two years to draft talent (as the first year would essentially be swapping of firsts).

tredadda 01-15-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

^ This. This is our best chance to trade up for a stud QB for the foreseeable future.

NJChiefsFan 01-15-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tredadda (Post 8301293)
Well in the last three years we kept our 1sts and got TJ, Berry, and Baldwin. We still finished 7-9 this year. Why? Because our QB play was absolutely atrocious. 1st round picks are too overvalued. It is assumed every 1st rounder will succeed. That is just not the case. I have no problems giving up three first rounders for Luck. One franchise QB is worth more to a team than three "potential" 1st round players. Besides there is still rounds 2-7 for the next two years to draft talent (as the first year would essentially be swapping of firsts).

I agree. That being said, its unfair to say our team ended up 7-9 despite our top picks when Berry was out all season and Baldwin hasn't had any time to develop.

Like you said, if you take our past picks and figure we get similiar value the next two years drafts, would you trade it for Luck or RG3. I certainly would.

Bewbies 01-15-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 8301202)
The issue I see with this is that I still don't think he makes it us. For example, say KC was sitting at the Browns spot. The Chiefs have cut Cassel and signed Orton. Do you still draft RG3. I do, and thats why I think other teams getting a vet QB does not take them out of the RG3 race.

Flynn or Manning are the only QB's that fit that I would think. I tend to agree with folks that think Cleveland goes after Flynn. Totally Holmgren's MO.

NJChiefsFan 01-15-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 8301307)
Flynn or Manning are the only QB's that fit that I would think. I tend to agree with folks that think Cleveland goes after Flynn. Totally Holmgren's MO.

The wildcard will be how many GB coaches go to how many teams and if they make an arguement to get him.

Okie_Apparition 01-15-2012 11:23 PM

Stanzi needs more meat on his bones
but if that corn fed Iowia titty can't do the job
things aren't looking good