ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics iPhone 5? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263220)

BigMeatballDave 09-13-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8907316)
OK, I had to post this. I fully acknowledge that these types of things always focus on the funny ones, but still...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rdIWKytq_q4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LMAO

What a bunch of ****ing lemmings.

Fish 09-13-2012 07:42 PM

Apple iPhone 5 Vs Samsung Galaxy S III – The Ultimate Comparison Of The Smartphone Kings
By Ben Reid | September 13th, 2012

http://www.redmondpie.com/iphone-5-v...rtphone-kings/

http://cdn.redmondpie.com/wp-content...iphone5gs3.png

007 09-13-2012 07:51 PM

winner Galaxy

007 09-13-2012 07:52 PM

By the way, what was the purpose of putting Siri on the iPod Touch?

L.A. Chieffan 09-13-2012 07:55 PM

My S3 has a dual core processor but it does have 2 gigs of RAM. I think those are the specs of the European version.

Fish 09-13-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8908046)
winner Galaxy

You didn't read past the first line did you?

DaFace 09-13-2012 07:57 PM

What is "native ticketing support"?

-King- 09-13-2012 07:57 PM

6 more months till the iphone 5S.

Cant wait!

DaFace 09-13-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8908063)

Well, pure spec-to-spec comparison, the SIII appears to be equal or better in just about every category. But then, hardware specs have never been the selling point of the iPhones.

007 09-13-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8908063)

I didn't even look at the first line. I based that on the rest of the lines.

Fish 09-13-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8908069)
What is "native ticketing support"?

Apple's Passbook. http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/...sbook_in_ios_6

Fish 09-13-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8908083)
I didn't even look at the first line. I based that on the rest of the lines.

I know just trying to be funny. Galaxy certainly beats iPhone 5 on those specs. No argue from me. But it's closer than I expected it to be.

007 09-13-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8908110)
I know just trying to be funny. Galaxy certainly beats iPhone 5 on those specs. No argue from me. But it's closer than I expected it to be.

If apple would just allow for an sd slot and lower the price they would easily dominate.

those are the two biggest things I hate about apple.

AustinChief 09-13-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8908110)

The ONLy stuff I see iPhone winning on is...
  • Form factor (thinner) - this is silly but kinda cool, I couldn't care less about weight but thinner is slightly better
  • Processor Speed - this is a GUESS, but I'd guess that the new A6 is slightly faster than an SIII with a dual core
  • iOS6 maps - also a guess, but I'm betting it will be better than Google maps until their next big update. No way in hell Apple will be able to keep pace in the long run though. Well, I guess they could, but it would take a massive infrastructure investment that doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless they really plan to go completely head to head with Google.

Nothing else that they may be "better" on matters in the least to me or really anybody. Passbook is the ultra-ghetto version of NFC. No way can anyone tell me a QR Code on a screen is better than an encrypted radio signal.

NewChief 09-13-2012 09:02 PM

This is a bad sign for Apple:
http://www.salon.com/2012/09/13/apples_enormous_insult/

THURSDAY, SEP 13, 2012 01:02 PM CDT
Apple’s enormous insult
The iPhone 5's new dock connector is a sign of arrogance and the harbinger of decline
BY ANDREW LEONARD
220 85
more
TOPICS: APPLE, IPHONE, IPHONE 5, SAMSUNG, SMART PHONES, STEVE JOBS

A hotly contested presidential election hits the stretch run, a deadly foreign policy crisis breaks out in the Arab world, new census figures prove that the richest Americans are still gaining on everyone else … and yet one of the most alarming stories of the week (judging by my perhaps unbalanced Twitter feed) appears to be the news that Apple’s iPhone 5 will come with a brand-new dock connector. A dock connector that will be incompatible with all previous iPhone-connected devices — chargers, docking stations, etc.

Really, Apple? Haven’t we suffered enough? The news drove Slate’s normally calm and measured Farhad Manjoo into a froth of rage and sarcasm. I feel his pain. Just two months ago, my children gave me a Sony “Dream Machine” docking station for my iPhone 4S that works very nicely as a combination clock radio/stereo. But if I dare upgrade to the iPhone 5, I would have to plunk down an additional $29 for what Manjoo describes as an “ungainly” adapter to keep my Dream Machine functional. Yes, Farhad, I agree, that is indeed “the definition of being unfriendly to your customers.”

I don’t know which is worse — the application of the word “ungainly” to an Apple product, or the fact that Apple doesn’t appear to realize that the median family household income in the U.S. declined again in 2011. Apple’s move is an insult on at least two levels: In these tough times, we can’t afford to add adapters to all our existing Apple chargers and related devices. Perhaps even more disappointingly, who among us isn’t affronted by the thought of an ugly adapter clashing with Apple’s sublime design aesthetic?

But there’s a bigger picture here. Apple is notorious for leaping ahead with design changes that are initially met with grumbling but prove to be far-sighted. The iMac’s lack of a floppy drive is the canonical example. One could argue that Steve Jobs had a unique ability to see into the future, that his decisions represented progress. Apple executives argue that the new iPhone required a different dock connector for design reasons — the old dock connector was too big for the slimmed down iPhone 5, and the new dock connector will (eventually) allow for speedier data flow. See? More progress!

But Apple’s decision also plugs into a different frame, one in which the new dock connector represents a giant step backward. In the non-Apple world, it has become easier and easier to connect devices made by different manufacturers together. This kind of increasingly seamless interoperability has the advantage not just of making our technological lives less cluttered, but also less expensive. Apple is bucking that trend. No, wait, that’s not strong enough. Try this: Apple is successfully turning back the tide of computer progress! Apple is warping the space-time continuum in the wrong direction!

The world of phone chargers offers the clearest possible example of this thesis. Most of the world’s phone manufacturers have finally coalesced around a single standard for docking connectors — micro USB. That means my children’s Samsung phones can use the same charger as my mom’s HTC phone. That means when my son forgets to take his charger on vacation, we’re all covered — he borrows grandma’s. This is great. This is civilized. This saves me cash. It’s a strike against relentless obsolescence, obviating the need to fill up landfills with out-of-date chargers. This is how everything should work. Plug and play, baby. Plug. And. Play.

Apple shrugs. Instead of joining this one-world utopia of interoperability, Apple is replacing its own unique, incompatible-with-everyone-else dock connector with a new dock connector that is incompatible with itself.

We don’t have to look far to understand why Apple has chosen this path. Aside from anything mandated by the physical design of the new iPhone, controlling a unique interface for a hugely popular consumer device ensures a steady flow of profits.

Farhad Manjoo:

By picking a proprietary dock, Apple will remain in charge of the bustling accessory market. Not only will it get to keep charging accessory makers a licensing fee to connect with its devices, but it will also be able to reject any accessories that it doesn’t like. And one day in the future, it will be able to decide, once again, to throw the whole industry under the bus by changing the dock again.

What’s so crazy here is that if you had suggested to anyone 10 years ago that Apple would have the marketplace power to impose incompatible design changes on cellphones, you would have been thought at best an imbecile, at worst potentially homicidally insane. The arc of computing progress did not bend in that direction. Computer hardware manufacturers or software developers who ignored this did so at their peril.

Apple itself was widely seen as the best evidence for this fundamental truth! Personal computers running Microsoft Windows and powered by Intel processors were open to anyone, anywhere to tinker with and add or substract hardware, and they completely dominated the computing world. Meanwhile, Apple’s decision to maintain total control over its own hardware was seen as self-defeating, as limiting its market share to the most devout true believers.

Advocates of free or open-source software took the argument even further. Opening up the code itself to everyone was thought to be the most robust paradigm for the future of software development. You couldn’t stop a world full of coders willing to share the products of their labor for the benefit of all. Or so the theory went. Now it doesn’t look so clearcut — mainly thanks to Apple. That’s the true genius of Steve Jobs. He resurrected a model of old-school tech monopoly that everyone else thought was broken.

The question raised by the new dock connector is just how long can Apple continue to execute this kind of our-way-or-the-highway strategy with impunity? In the short term, there’s nothing to fear. Apple’s going to sell a bajillion iPhone 5s. Apple just won a very big patent infringement victory over Samsung. Apple is the most valuable company in history! It can do what it wants.

Until, some day, it can’t. Until users decide, hey, that new Samsung is just as good as the new iPhone and it is just so much less of a hassle to use it with my other devices, because, you know, it just works.

We don’t seem to be anywhere near that day right now. But if the history of personal computing teaches us anything it is that change can happen in less time than it takes to unplug a phone charger. And annoying your own users is the best possible way to start down that road.

AustinChief 09-13-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8908307)

Dear God, I agree with the weannies at Salon...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=262365

NewChief 09-13-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8908334)
Dear God, I agree with the weannies at Salon...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=262365

My point exactly.

AustinChief 09-13-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8908292)
The ONLy stuff I see iPhone winning on is...
  • Form factor (thinner) - this is silly but kinda cool, I couldn't care less about weight but thinner is slightly better
  • Processor Speed - this is a GUESS, but I'd guess that the new A6 is slightly faster than an SIII with a dual core
  • iOS6 maps - also a guess, but I'm betting it will be better than Google maps until their next big update. No way in hell Apple will be able to keep pace in the long run though. Well, I guess they could, but it would take a massive infrastructure investment that doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless they really plan to go completely head to head with Google.

Nothing else that they may be "better" on matters in the least to me or really anybody. Passbook is the ultra-ghetto version of NFC. No way can anyone tell me a QR Code on a screen is better than an encrypted radio signal.

Well that was quick..I'm wrong already! :D

Just did further research on Apple Maps and it looks like they are pretty far behind Google in many ways and I have serious doubts they will ever catch up. (but it certainly LOOKED cool before I did the research... damn! I was hoping it would seriously push Google to get better faster)

Fish 09-13-2012 09:36 PM

Well, the A series CPUs are pretty cool. Ironically... the A6 is made by none other than Samsung.. LOL.. But the A6 is really impressive chip to be honest.

Analyst says iPhone 5 processor is dual-core Cortex-A15
Peter Clarke

9/13/2012 4:54 AM EDT

LONDON – The A6 processor inside Apple's iPhone 5 mobile phone is a dual-core Cortex-A15 manufactured for Apple by Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. in its 32-nm HKMG manufacturing process, according to analysts at Nomura Equity Research.

This would mean Apple is one of the first companies to introduce a Cortex-A15-based processor. Cortex-A15 is the highest performance processor core from intellectual property licensor ARM Holdings plc (Cambridge, England).

Samsung said it had started sampling the industry's first dual-core ARM Cortex-A15 processor late in 2011, the Exynos 5250, made with its 32-nm HKMG process and intended for volume shipment in summer 2012. The Exynos 5250 includes Mali graphics, and is intended for use in high-end tablet computers. Its 2-GHz clock frequency is claimed to double the performance of the previous 1.5-GHz dual-core Cortex-A9 based Exynos.

Apple provided few details when it launched the iPhone 5 on Wednesday (Sept. 12) about the smartphone's application processor and graphics capability. The company did say the A6 processor provided twice the CPU performance and twice the graphics performance of the A5x used in the iPhone 4S.

Nomura provided no source for its report nor a clock frequency for the processor. Typically, mobile phone application processors run with clock signals of up to 1.5 GHz. However, designing in the Cortex-A15 could help explain how Apple has achieved performance equivalent to the iPhone 4S

Apple is expected to retain graphics IP licensor Imagination Technologies Group for the graphics rendering portion of the chip. The Apple A5 processor is reported to use the dual-core PowerVR SGX543MP2, so the A6 could use the quad-core version, the PowerVR SGX543MP4.

Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. (Hsinchu, Taiwan) was reportedly working on a version of the A6 processor for Apple in 2011. It was rumored then to be a quad-core design for implementation in 28-nm manufacturing process and was expected to debut in the third-generation iPad.

If Samsung is the sole supplier of the A6 processor – as indicated by Nomura analysts – this squares with recent predictions that TSMC is working on pulling in its 20-nm process and working to supply Apple in the second-half of 2013 using that process.

Fish 09-13-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8908392)
Well that was quick..I'm wrong already! :D

Just did further research on Apple Maps and it looks like they are pretty far behind Google in many ways and I have serious doubts they will ever catch up. (but it certainly LOOKED cool before I did the research... damn! I was hoping it would seriously push Google to get better faster)

What do you mean? Could you share some links?

AustinChief 09-13-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8908483)
What do you mean? Could you share some links?

ah man! I'd have to google shit again! :D Basically a few spots saying after testing it, it feels like a stripped down, older version of Google Maps. Just the fact that Google has such a huge head start on CONTENT that Apple doesn't quite match (for example instead of Google Places they use Yelp info)

My personal feeling is that it won't big a huge deal.. especially since I imagine you can just install the Google Maps app.

Fish 09-13-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8908540)
ah man! I'd have to google shit again! :D Basically a few spots saying after testing it, it feels like a stripped down, older version of Google Maps. Just the fact that Google has such a huge head start on CONTENT that Apple doesn't quite match (for example instead of Google Places they use Yelp info)

My personal feeling is that it won't big a huge deal.. especially since I imagine you can just install the Google Maps app.

I've got iOS 6 running on an iPad at work. And I have to say that I've been really impressed with Maps. It all looks very clean, and works very well. You're right about the content though in one regard. Apple Maps lacks a Google Street View. Their 3D mapping is only available for much larger cities. The 3D mapping is absolutely incredible though. Literally exactly like Google Earth 3D.

http://imageshack.us/a/img703/8224/120726maps1.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img571/580/120726maps2.png

More info comparing them here: http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/...os_6_maps.html

But that said, the 3D only covers a handful of cities, and Google Street View gives Google the edge at this point in time. I think Apple Maps does the rest of the stuff, turn by turn and routing and traffic stuff, just as well or slightly better than Android's built in.

It looks really good in person. I could probably record a demo at work...

AustinChief 09-13-2012 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8908607)
I've got iOS 6 running on an iPad at work. And I have to say that I've been really impressed with Maps. It all looks very clean, and works very well. You're right about the content though in one regard. Apple Maps lacks a Google Street View. Their 3D mapping is only available for much larger cities. The 3D mapping is absolutely incredible though. Literally exactly like Google Earth 3D.

More info comparing them here: http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/...os_6_maps.html

But that said, the 3D only covers a handful of cities, and Google Street View gives Google the edge at this point in time. I think Apple Maps does the rest of the stuff, turn by turn and routing and traffic stuff, just as well or slightly better than Android's built in.

It looks really good in person. I could probably record a demo at work...

I wouldn't say EXACTLY.. I'd say right now Apple's 3D looks better but that won't last long.

And as you pointed out Google maps is years ahead in things like street view though. Hell, they have a street view of my favorite PUB now... not from the street... from INSIDE the pub. That is all sort of crazy awesome.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Bull+...LqiGwgHP1YGABA

Combine that with all the walking, bus, train info and bike trails etc etc ... I just can't see how Apple could ever catch up without a MASSIVE investment that doesn't seem to make sense unless they are planning a major business model shift. Actually, now that I think about it.. that may be exactly what they are preparing for. No chance Apple could keep up with Google in this space...

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Technolo..._120627_wg.jpg

... without building out their own MAPS infrastructure.

Hmm. looks like we may be closer to this than I thought.

Fish 09-14-2012 08:07 AM

LMAO

Apple Announces New iPhone With N-Word On Back Knowing Customers Will Buy It Anyway

SAN FRANCISCO—With CEO Tim Cook stating that desperate customers would surely “line up like idiots” to purchase the offensive product anyway, Apple announced today the release of the company’s new iPhone 5, which features the word “****er” boldly embossed on its back. “Sure, the new iPhone has the word ‘****er’ printed right on it, but we all know you pathetic losers will still buy it in droves, because, hell, you’ll buy anything we put out,” Cook said in a press conference, describing the lightweight smartphone that will include a larger high-resolution display and have the racial slur printed in 36-point Helvetica font directly on its back, as well as on every accessory sold for the product. “Our technology ensures the word will brightly light up through whatever cover or sticker you may use in an attempt to obscure it, so don’t even try. You are all very stupid and sheeplike, and I will enjoy watching this play out.” Cook followed the iPhone 5 announcement with a brief preview of the company’s updated iPad, which will feature a loud, unchangeable ringtone of Roseanne Barr repeatedly yelling “pillowbitergot.”

NewChief 09-14-2012 08:19 AM

Has the price drop happened in retail stores already for the 4S? I've decided I'm not going with the 5.

mr. tegu 09-14-2012 09:28 AM

So are people angry with version 5 for the new charging systems?

L.A. Chieffan 09-14-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8909121)
Has the price drop happened in retail stores already for the 4S? I've decided I'm not going with the 5.

Yeah it's 99 in the Apple store

ZepSinger 09-14-2012 12:42 PM

I ordered the iPhone5 for my wife this morning from the Sprint website- supposedly, she'll get it around the 21st. That's what she wanted, and she's very excited. Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to succumb to Apple's elitist, arrogant culture and their hordes of like-minded fanboys.

Z (proud owner of the Galaxy Nexus)

DaveNull 09-14-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8908765)
I wouldn't say EXACTLY.. I'd say right now Apple's 3D looks better but that won't last long.

I've got iOS 6 on the phone now and the maps definitely exceeded my expectations. It's smooth, quick and I think easier to read than the Google Maps interface. Similar to the jump in readability between Mapquest and Google Maps when it first came out.

Turn by turn navigation (which was well overdue) works well too.

Passbook instead of NFC kind of makes sense at this point. Someone made a point about this earlier talking about what's standing in its way. Apple seems to be staying on the sidelines of mobile payments while literally everyone else tries to develop their own standard. That goes for outfits that make card readers now, credit card companies themselves, Google and each cell phone carrier. That's right...carriers. At least one carrier thinks they can roll out a payment system that will be exclusive to their subscribers. Dumb.

Anyhow..just getting people in the habit of using phones for things like payments would be a pretty big step for the non-nerd population in and of itself. A lot of normals will be pretty freaked out about replacing their wallet with just their phone, regardless of whether it's reasonable or not. This might be a nice springboard for that.

I love the idea about NFC for other stuff like saving configuration states and all that, we just haven't seen any real world implementations on a wide scale.

Fish 09-14-2012 04:22 PM

One neat thing I liked about Passbook, was that it's location based. So using the theater chain they signed as an example, when a user is physically close to the theater, the theater ticket automatically shows up on the lock screen waiting for you to click it. Same with the airport. Get to the airport, and there's a little link waiting for you on your lockscreen to show you your ticket and info.

I don't think NFC is being used enough right now for them to feel much negative feedback from it. Although I really would have preferred NFC, it doesn't surprise me a bit that Apple would bet against it.

AustinChief 09-14-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 8910338)
I love the idea about NFC for other stuff like saving configuration states and all that, we just haven't seen any real world implementations on a wide scale.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8910357)
I don't think NFC is being used enough right now for them to feel much negative feedback from it. Although I really would have preferred NFC, it doesn't surprise me a bit that Apple would bet against it.

Well, except for PayPass... pretty much every 7 Eleven, CVS, Taco Cabana, McDonalds, almost every gas pump, Whole Foods, Whataburger, Jack in the Box, Petco, Diamond Shamrock, Valero, Chevron, Home Depot, Radio Shack, Braums, Abuelos, Foot Locker, American Eagle Outfitters, Macy's, Champs Sports, Brooks Brothers, Office Depot and my favorite... a GUN STORE down the road from my parents!

It's all over the place, you probably just don't notice it.

WoodDraw 09-14-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8910428)
Well, except for PayPass... pretty much every 7 Eleven, CVS, Taco Cabana, McDonalds, almost every gas pump, Whole Foods, Whataburger, Jack in the Box, Petco, Diamond Shamrock, Valero, Chevron, Home Depot, Radio Shack, Braums, Abuelos, Foot Locker, American Eagle Outfitters, Macy's, Champs Sports, Brooks Brothers, Office Depot and my favorite... a GUN STORE down the road from my parents!

It's all over the place, you probably just don't notice it.

I mean, I guess. But it still is fairly useless. I can't link any of my cards. Google and the carriers are fighting each other so there's no standardization. So far NFC is useless to me. I'm guessing another year or two before we see anything approaching usefulness.

AustinChief 09-14-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 8910547)
I mean, I guess. But it still is fairly useless. I can't link any of my cards. Google and the carriers are fighting each other so there's no standardization. So far NFC is useless to me. I'm guessing another year or two before we see anything approaching usefulness.

Well actually if you are on Sprint or Virgin Mobile it works great and you can link any card you want. It definitely is a problem with Verizon and ATT not playing ball yet. Of course there is a hack to get it working on Verizon and Verizon users are pushing hard for them to make it available, so you may see that change soon.

UPDATE: apparently there is a hack for ATT and Tmobile as well, BUT who uses those losers anyway? :D

UPDATE UPDATE: When I say ANY card, I mean any VISA, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover(and JCB)... your Diner's Club card may be out of luck!

WoodDraw 09-14-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8910592)
Well actually if you are on Sprint or Virgin Mobile it works great and you can link any card you want. It definitely is a problem with Verizon and ATT not playing ball yet. Of course there is a hack to get it working on Verizon and Verizon users are pushing hard for them to make it available, so you may see that change soon.

UPDATE: apparently there is a hack for ATT and Tmobile as well, BUT who uses those losers anyway? :D

I thought even on Sprint that they only partnered with one credit card company, but I could be wrong. I just looked up the carriers alternative (the name of which I've already forgotten) and they have partnered with more, but no one I have an account with.

Too me, the high point of NFC isn't even payment. I have a wallet - it takes me seconds to take out a card and swipe it. What I want is public transport, airline tickets, game tickets, etc. That infrastructure will take a long time to build out, but I dream of the day that I can just use my phone everywhere around the world and not have to bother with buying different transit cards, tickets, blah, blah.

AustinChief 09-14-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 8910618)
I thought even on Sprint that they only partnered with one credit card company, but I could be wrong. I just looked up the carriers alternative (the name of which I've already forgotten) and they have partnered with more, but no one I have an account with.

Too me, the high point of NFC isn't even payment. I have a wallet - it takes me seconds to take out a card and swipe it. What I want is public transport, airline tickets, game tickets, etc. That infrastructure will take a long time to build out, but I dream of the day that I can just use my phone everywhere around the world and not have to bother with buying different transit cards, tickets, blah, blah.

As of last month, Google now ties in any card you want without having to use a prepaid virtual card. Since they did, their usage has doubled.

They are already working on transit .. I think it is up and running in New Jersey. Yippee.

I don't know how long it will take to build out, but it's starting to pick up steam... and when it does, the ghetto-passport crap isn't going to cut it. Of course, Apple could easily add NFC next year and try to keep up.

Buehler445 09-14-2012 07:15 PM

Someone fill me on NFC. WTF are we talking about here?

AustinChief 09-14-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 8910668)
Someone fill me on NFC. WTF are we talking about here?

No freakin Chicanos. Google hates Mexicans. It's a chip on your phone that alerts you to their presence and sets off an alarm. It's really starting to take off. Racists!

ok ok.. it's Near Field Communications.. it's a chip that let's your phone communicate securely with nearby readers... like those PAYPASS things you see at most gas pumps. So, if you have Google Wallet, you can register any number of credit cards and then just "swipe" your phone by a pad and pay for things. The plan is for it to not only handle purchases Like it does now, but also mass transit ticketing, sports tickets, loyalty cards, etc etc

It also ties into GPS to let special offers show up when you are near a specific spot or your Chiefs ticket popup when you reach teh stadium.. etc etc

The tech is in place and working but they need to get more info out about it and more end points on line.

Buehler445 09-14-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8910726)
No freakin Chicanos. Google hates Mexicans. It's a chip on your phone that alerts you to their presence and sets off an alarm. It's really starting to take off. Racists!

ok ok.. it's Near Field Communications.. it's a chip that let's your phone communicate securely with nearby readers... like those PAYPASS things you see at most gas pumps. So, if you have Google Wallet, you can register any number of credit cards and then just "swipe" your phone by a pad and pay for things. The plan is for it to not only handle purchases Like it does now, but also mass transit ticketing, sports tickets, loyalty cards, etc etc

It also ties into GPS to let special offers show up when you are near a specific spot or your Chiefs ticket popup when you reach teh stadium.. etc etc

The tech is in place and working but they need to get more info out about it and more end points on line.

Cool thanks.

WoodDraw 09-14-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8910652)
As of last month, Google now ties in any card you want without having to use a prepaid virtual card. Since they did, their usage has doubled.

They are already working on transit .. I think it is up and running in New Jersey. Yippee.

I don't know how long it will take to build out, but it's starting to pick up steam... and when it does, the ghetto-passport crap isn't going to cut it. Of course, Apple could easily add NFC next year and try to keep up.

Good deal - I agree with you on Apple btw. I was just making the point that the lack of widespread availability hurts NFC. You can have a phone with NFC, and a shop with NFC, and still not be able to use it.

Some level of standardization needs to happen. You'd think this would be a dream for most companies - the fights going to be over who controls the money. Google wants it, Apple will want it, and the carriers obviously want it.

I like Apple's idea, but I question if they can make it work.

WoodDraw 09-14-2012 09:37 PM

If I'm going to make the point, I guess I should describe it. I think Apple's Passbook is a brilliant idea - it just fails in the implementation. QR codes are a sloppy way to do these things. Have you ever tried to use one at the airport on your phone? It's very hit or miss. Handing your phone to someone and trying to get it to scan is very awkward.

I understand why Apple did it though. The infrastructure for NFC + tickets just isn't there. You can't partner with people that don't have the hardware to support what you're doing. It's disappointing to see Apple stand back instead of forcing the market forward; they could have done NFC + QR. That'll come next, I'm sure.

But the idea itself is great. I'm sure I have up to a dozen or two contactless cards for various things. And it's such a pain in the ass keeping them around and up to date I normally just buy a new one. Tickets are the same way. Not so much here, but in Europe you don't typically get "season tickets", you get a "season ticket card".

I know this is an Apple thread, and I hope they're thinking about it. Because Apple has the power to make it happen. I hope Google is too - they should invest in helping companies deploy NFC, because they could make a killing and beat the market. I worry a bit that it's going to go the proprietary route ("get in with your S III!"), but I hope not.

AustinChief 09-14-2012 09:50 PM

btw.. here is another cool implementation of NFC http://www.samsung.com/us/microsite/tectile/ Even though it's made by Samsung it's not really proprietary. Here's Sony's version.. http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/product...ria-smarttags/

You are right that the biggest hurdle right now is getting NFC adoption rates to be higher... BUT considering that the hardware is just recently hitting the market here in the USA it's hard to say how fast or slow it will take based on current rates. We'll know a lot more this time next year.

In Japan and Europe they are pretty far ahead already.. for example.. 11,500 post offices in Europe already use the tech.

http://www.slashgear.com/mobile-nfc-...ices-31231134/

Oh and it isn't just Google Wallet. in Austin we also have ISIS although it is lagging far behind Google.. it is basically the same thing just a different app.. which is fine by me. I doubt most consumers care which app they use. In the end Isis is gonna have a TOUGH time keeping up with Google for usability though.

http://www.paywithisis.com/whatis.xhtml

WoodDraw 09-14-2012 10:07 PM

ISIS is the carrier version - that's the name I couldn't think of earlier. It'll do fine as long as everyone not named Sprint keeps Google off their network. Unless Google than decides to make Wallet a requirement to run proprietary Google apps. We shall see.

WoodDraw 09-14-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8910981)

In Japan and Europe they are pretty far ahead already.. for example.. 11,500 post offices in Europe already use the tech.

Europe actually struggles too. But they standardize quicker than we do, so hopefully soon. There is no reason the Oyster card in London shouldn't be phone capable. Everywhere else, I have doubts...

In Italy, you have people on the trains that physically check your ticket. On the buses, they do random inspections. In Spain, I'm sure they make a killing off people buying the t10 and losing them (ie me). France, same thing. I've lost that damn skinny ticket so often, or it just doesn't work.

You can still do the random checks with cards - in London they do - but you have to have the technology. And they are all so unionized it's going to take awhile to change.

Even in Chile and Argentina, where you have contactless cards, you still have to go some place to put money on it. ****ing maddening. But they have jobs they have too keep for those reasons.

It's going to take a long time to get this out. And we'll run into the same problems here. Asia is a bit different...

AustinChief 09-14-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 8911004)
ISIS is the carrier version - that's the name I couldn't think of earlier. It'll do fine as long as everyone not named Sprint keeps Google off their network. Unless Google then decides to make Wallet a requirement to run proprietary Google apps. We shall see.

Yep, I see no reason we can't have both. I think Google may start to push harder to get carriers to at least let people download it if they want to. It will all play out heavily over 2013.

I think the next big thing will be to see if Google can get one of the big ticket brokers on board. I know Ticketmaster is playing around with NFC now.. not sure if it will be Wallet or Isis or both. And as I pointed out, New Jersey is doing it now for busses. So, you know, Snooki is covered.

DaneMcCloud 09-14-2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8904849)
Um, yes there is.. and we had 4g first! I had 4g(WiMax) 3 years ago next month.

Texas has Sprint LTE right now.

Sprint is unbelievably retched in Los Angeles. 3G at best but usually no internet connection. Continual dropped calls. If we didn't have the employee plan through a family member, I'd drop it in a heartbeat.

And I hate the iPhone 4s. It's ridiculously heavy in an Otterbox, the battery doesn't stay charged for more than 4 hours and I constantly delete emails by accident.

Big time buyer's remorse.

BWillie 09-15-2012 12:14 AM

Am I the only one that doesn't like thin phones? The thinner they are the more prone they are to drop and its just awkward fiddling around with them. After I got the extended battery for my Evo I actually liked the thicker phone. I've played with the SII and it is annoyingly thin.

DaneMcCloud 09-15-2012 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 8911157)
Am I the only one that doesn't like thin phones? The thinner they are the more prone they are to drop and its just awkward fiddling around with them. After I got the extended battery for my Evo I actually liked the thicker phone. I've played with the SII and it is annoyingly thin.

Just wait until they're the size of a microchip. Then you'll really hate them.

Cell phones should require some type of tool belt.

007 09-15-2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8911180)
Just wait until they're the size of a microchip. Then you'll really hate them.

Cell phones should require some type of tool belt.

Before long it will be a button behind your ear.

AustinChief 09-15-2012 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8911095)
Sprint is unbelievably retched in Los Angeles. 3G at best but usually no internet connection. Continual dropped calls. If we didn't have the employee plan through a family member, I'd drop it in a heartbeat.

I have heard this now from multiple sources. I never saw it in San Diego(all over that area) or Santa Monica.. but I never went inland from the Santa Monica/Venice area so I wasn't exactly the best test case.

They need to fix that shit. Not just because of the size of LA, but simply because it is so influential in the media.

Silock 09-15-2012 01:42 AM

iPhone 5 -- meh.

iOS 6 -- do want! Excited!

Pablo 09-15-2012 01:48 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I bought a S3 tonight and I was totally surprised at how thin it was. I bought a case because I am pretty prone to dropping shit and I also wanted to add a bit of thickness and weight to the phone. It's still goddamn slick though. I can't believe a phone this big fits so well in my pocket and is so light.

That being said; I don't feel like I need to carry a brick around in my pocket so I don't drop it. It'll take a bit of adjusting; but I'm sure handling this phone will be no problem.

The Bad Guy 09-15-2012 07:27 AM

Quote:

You really might be the only one that wants to carry around a phone that needs a case manufactured by LL Bean to support it.

The Bad Guy 09-15-2012 07:28 AM

I preordered the phone early Friday morning and I'll get it on first shipment. Wife is getting one as well since her 3Gs needs a massive upgrade. If Amazon wasn't going to give me 395 for my 4s, I would have held off.

Gravedigger 09-21-2012 03:41 PM

Picked up my Iphone today at the Sprint Store off 135th and Blackbob. Pretty sweet phone thus far, I'm coming off an EVO 4G, first edition, and this thing blazes by it as most phones nowadays would I suppose. The thing that pissed me off is that they only had 64GB Black phones, and everything else was in white that was in stock and I had heard there was about 100 people outside the Apple store so F going somewhere else when I was fourth in line.

A couple things:

It is light... holy shit is it light. Get a case to heavy it up.

The screen doesnt seem to be made out of the same stuff my Ipad 3 screen is so it takes some more wipes from the cloth to get out smudges, but just a few more.

Pictures are amazing and so is video and the fact that I can now just click and share to facebook easier than before makes it a very nice edition.

The overall thing is that who cares is you like Apple or who cares if you like Android, do what you do. I had the first generation Iphone, thing was awesome for the 2 years I had it, I then went to the EVO 4G for the past 2.5 years, and now I'm back to Iphone. Honestly this phone is a bit on the small side, so I'm sure when my contract is up again I'll go back to Andriod, one of their huge phones probably. I'm happy with my purchase, I know it'll have some little nuances, but I was due for an upgrade and this was the phone that was new at the time so I snagged it.

The Bad Guy 09-21-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 8933665)
The overall thing is that who cares is you like Apple or who cares if you like Android, do what you do. I had the first generation Iphone, thing was awesome for the 2 years I had it, I then went to the EVO 4G for the past 2.5 years, and now I'm back to Iphone. Honestly this phone is a bit on the small side, so I'm sure when my contract is up again I'll go back to Andriod, one of their huge phones probably. I'm happy with my purchase, I know it'll have some little nuances, but I was due for an upgrade and this was the phone that was new at the time so I snagged it.

For me personally, this phone is superior to any Android phone I had. I can't picture ever going back. Yes, I understand some features on Android are better. However, I just think the 5 is superior to any cell that I would use in my every day life.

BigMeatballDave 09-22-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 8934426)
For me personally, this phone is superior to any Android phone I had. I can't picture ever going back. Yes, I understand some features on Android are better. However, I just think the 5 is superior to any cell that I would use in my every day life.

I feel the same way, but opposite.

Its just a matter of personal preference.

BWillie 09-23-2012 08:13 PM

Hilarious Samsung commercial today mocking you iPhone sheep that love to wait in line to get a subpar phone that you can't customize.

BigMeatballDave 09-23-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 8944049)
Hilarious Samsung commercial today mocking you iPhone sheep that love to wait in line to get a subpar phone that you can't customize.

It is pretty funny.

"They make the coolest adapters"

The Bad Guy 09-23-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 8944049)

I didn't wait in line, nor am I stupid enough to know that you can't customize it.

DBOSHO 09-24-2012 04:26 AM

Ive owned both platforms multiple times. I love both for different reasons.

Androids obviously customizable you can do things i like like emulators and such

Iphones are just easier to use. And they were the only phones that could take screencaps before the new androids. They also have better battery life and dont feel cheap.

I do hate how apple always takes a "madden" approach to where they dont improve much year to year but they know "iSheep" will buy them anyway.

I have an iphone 4 right now. In a few months ill probably have an android lol im always going back and forth. Before this i had an s2 skyrocket which i absolutely loved and had no intention of getting rid of but i tried messing with it and bricked it.

Saul Good 09-24-2012 09:39 AM

Are the Apple true-believers actually doing a disservice to themselves by lining up for marginally better phones? Does this make Apple complacent?

L.A. Chieffan 09-24-2012 09:50 AM

Its not marginal dude. It owns.

Pablo 09-24-2012 10:23 AM

I asked my boss how he liked his new iPhone and it was a resounding meh.

Buck 09-24-2012 11:41 AM

Oh Lord.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BMsLArefSOw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-King- 09-24-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8945726)
Oh Lord.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BMsLArefSOw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Holy shit ROFLROFLROFL. The funniest thing about that is that he's mocking her right in her face and she doesn't realize it. ROFL

NewChief 09-24-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Oh Lord.

She seems fairly autistic or at least on the spectrum.

Mr. Plow 09-24-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Oh Lord.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BMsLArefSOw" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

I'm sold. I MUST have an Apple 5.

Urc Burry 09-24-2012 03:28 PM

Mine came in on Friday. Love it so far and prefer it to Android. Didn't realize how fast 4G actually was. I like to think I have pretty good wifi at home and it seems to be every bit as fast

BigMeatballDave 09-24-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Oh Lord.

LMAO

Is this the general iPhone demographic?

Would not surprise me.

NewChief 09-24-2012 06:18 PM

As I said, I'm pretty sure she's either autistic or a drug addict waiting in line who will then resale the phone for a profit.

Dave Lane 09-24-2012 06:38 PM

Its a setup. Duh.

SLAG 09-25-2012 12:56 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mfGaYceW6kY?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

L.A. Chieffan 09-26-2012 04:18 PM

IPhone 5 has a bitchin camera

http://m.techcrunch.com/2012/09/26/t...a-purple-haze/

L.A. Chieffan 09-26-2012 04:27 PM

You can't watch YouTube on ios 6? Whaaaaa?

DaveNull 09-26-2012 05:15 PM

Uh..yes you can. Either through the built in player from the web or you could download their app.

Never used the standalone app before so its removal was a plus for me...less app switching for no reason.

RustShack 09-26-2012 05:26 PM

Whats the price difference of these phones?

GordonGekko 09-28-2012 10:38 AM

iP5 costs under $200 to make...

http://money.cnn.com/2012/09/28/tech...html?hpt=hp_t3

I know there are 'other' expenses that go into bringing products to market, but that is quite a markup since they are selling these phones to providers for $600.

L.A. Chieffan 09-28-2012 12:37 PM

The memory thing is what seems like a slap in the face to their customers. Why does it cost an extra hundred dollars to go up 16 gigs of memory? And for that matter why does an 8 gig iPod touch cost two hundred bucks? That thing is ONLY used for its memory. I can buy a 32 gig micro sd for thirty bucks! Hello!?!

DaveNull 09-28-2012 02:57 PM

Why are these oranges so expensive when these apples are so cheap? For that matter, why do oranges cost that much anyway when I end up peeling them and throwing away all that stuff on the outside? Hello!?!

L.A. Chieffan 09-28-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 8957279)
Why are these oranges so expensive when these apples are so cheap? For that matter, why do oranges cost that much anyway when I end up peeling them and throwing away all that stuff on the outside? Hello!?!

This post has more fail than iOs 6 maps.