ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Doug pederson is in kc to finalize deal to become Chiefs offensive coordinator. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268693)

tk13 01-09-2013 11:29 PM

Are people really concerned that he wasn't a good player? Mike Singletary was a great player and terrible coach. The two things often have little to do with each other.

DaneMcCloud 01-09-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeatRock (Post 9301992)
Oh how bold of you.

Do you always use big greek words, or do you just use them to make yourself sound smart? :shrug:

Go **** yourself

MeatRock 01-09-2013 11:33 PM

:p Just ribbing ya a little Dane.

DTLB58 01-09-2013 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9301568)
So we are going to let Matt Nagy cut his teeth on our rookie QB?

Would rather have a QB coach with QB coaching experience...

Well, it's not like Reid and Chilly will be turning a deaf ear to what's going on. They have both been QB coaches themselves. Mentor program. They got this.

DTLB58 01-09-2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9301653)
We're pissed that we're bringing in a guy to be the OC who doesnt' have experience at it, yet some wanted to bring in Chip Kelly?

Yea, just like someone saying "those college guys scare me" They all coached in College at some point people.

Liken it to us wanting to draft and develop our own QB's. Let's be the ones to to give some young coaches the chance to start here and become innovative and dynamic, while having some veteran leadership watching over them so they don't totally collapse while doing it. Perfect combination if you ask me. Reid/Chilly/Pedersen/Nagy

MeatRock 01-09-2013 11:49 PM

Not real impressed with Chilly. Could have done worse though i guess.

DTLB58 01-09-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9301853)
Then they should call the plays.

Who said who is calling plays yet?

Even so, there is a first time for everyone. I'm assuming that's what Chilly is being brought on for, to help them. Great idea. :thumb:

Easy 6 01-10-2013 12:02 AM

I'VE GOT HIS ROOKIE CARD!11

DTLB58 01-10-2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9301988)
The whole West Coast Offense "Tree" all the way back to Bill Walsh is littered with young up and coming OCs and QB coaches. If Pederson is the OC then maybe he'll be the next young mavrick to come along.

I think that's exactly what Reid is thinking. In fact, Howard Eskin said in one of his interviews before Clark hired Reid that he thinks Pederson is going to be a HC someday.

That's the kinda guys I wanna give a chance here first. :thumb:

MeatRock 01-10-2013 12:03 AM

I hope Reid knows what he's doing with Childress and Pederson, because Childress' offenses have been bad to mediocre in the past. Not Daboll level of suck, but not inspiring either.

DaWolf 01-10-2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeatRock (Post 9302034)
I hope Reid knows what he's doing with Childress and Pederson, because Childress' offenses have been bad to mediocre in the past. Not Daboll level of suck, but not inspiring either.

It may be why he's moving away from stale play callers and giving it over to some fresh guys. They may fail, but Reid at least has expertise on that side of it. Really the biggest thing on offense is going to be who the QB is. It's the DC that I am most concerned about...

Easy 6 01-10-2013 12:15 AM

Quote:

He knows whats at stake at this point in his career, he wants the perfect fit everywhere... if he wants childress, I want childress... give this guy a UNIFIED vision without second guessing from above.

I've said the same things about two guys who failed me in one way or another, but this really does seem different... Reid is a LIFER on his last big chance, he wants continuity and cohesion like drunks want another beer, if chilly fills the bill, i'm IN.

Its time to get behind the train...

MeatRock 01-10-2013 12:22 AM

Why do people say this is Reid's last big chance? I mean i get it, he loves Arrowhead and the Hunt family, but he's only been a HC in one city, with one team.
Reid will get more than one chance to be a HC if the KC gig fails, which it wont, i hope.

Sorter 01-10-2013 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeatRock (Post 9302018)
Not real impressed with Chilly. Could have done worse though i guess.

I think Chilly is pretty creative in PA and route/play design vertically. Nobody utilizes the pump-draw as well and nobody utilizes the pump-draw, and then PA off it like Chilly does in prime situations. If you watch Favre's 1st year with chilly, you'll see a lot of great stuff on film after the initial learning period (around week 5 or so).

NJChiefsFan 01-10-2013 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Mac Ver 2.0 (Post 9301965)
Sometimes shitty players make good coaches. They have accumen to teach but lack physical skills to play at a high level

Yeah. Ability on the field is not really a good way of weeding out your next coach. Some guys make it to the highest level based as much on knowing the game inside and out as it is based on their skill, or more so. I would imagine a veteran coach would notice these skills pretty quickly in a player.

Mother****erJones 01-10-2013 06:59 AM

This reminds me of Cowboys HC Jason Garret

Quesadilla Joe 01-10-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Reading reports that Doug Pederson will be OC in KC...He is one of the top assistants I've been around. He will be a HC in a few years.
https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/st...09624476618753

The Franchise 01-10-2013 10:51 AM

Obviously Reid sees something good in him. You would think that if he just wanted to go with a friend he'd bring in Childress or Shurmur to call the plays.

Chiefnj2 01-10-2013 10:55 AM

People are getting too caught up on being a poor player. It's irrelevant to coaching. Wilson and Geno are being tutored by Chris Weinke right now.

I do wish that at least one of the two (OC and QB coach) had a little more experience.

ILChief 01-10-2013 11:02 AM

Great players rarely become coaches. They don't need to since they have millions and millions of dollars and don't feel the need to work 80+ hour weeks when they can make almost as much doing TV work with a much lighter schedule and alot less pressure.

Thig Lyfe 01-10-2013 11:06 AM

wat

htismaqe 01-10-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9302766)
People are getting too caught up on being a poor player. It's irrelevant to coaching. Wilson and Geno are being tutored by Chris Weinke right now.

I do wish that at least one of the two (OC and QB coach) had a little more experience.

Agree on the 1st part.

On the 2nd part, if Childress comes here as an assistant HC or something similar, he'll be intimately involved in the offense.

Not really worried about any of it right now.

More worried about the defense.

Buns 01-10-2013 11:10 AM

Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, teach phys ed.

Ebolapox 01-10-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILChief (Post 9302787)
Great players rarely become coaches. They don't need to since they have millions and millions of dollars and don't feel the need to work 80+ hour weeks when they can make almost as much doing TV work with a much lighter schedule and alot less pressure.

great players often have natural talent and it comes easily to them--they don't have to work at it. bad players have to bust their asses off to get everything from their limited skill set.

it's one reason why backup catchers make great baseball managers--catchers are generally cerebral to begin with ALONG with the grinding mentality of trying to keep a roster spot and get the most of their talent.

Chiefnj2 01-10-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9302804)
Agree on the 1st part.

On the 2nd part, if Childress comes here as an assistant HC or something similar, he'll be intimately involved in the offense.

Not really worried about any of it right now.

More worried about the defense.

After the three-headed playcalling in KC two years ago, I'm a little gun shy about having too many cooks in the kitchen and having Childress involved. I'm not sure I want a first time play caller having to look over his shoulder every call.

BigMeatballDave 01-10-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9302766)

Change your tampon.

If we had a rookie HC, I would be concerned. I'm not.

ShowtimeSBMVP 01-10-2013 11:33 AM

Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71

According to the agency Pro Star Coaching they state on the website their client Matt Nagy is the #Chiefs QB coach. https://twitter.com/Jacobs71/status/...495617/photo/1

Frankie 01-10-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 9301493)
wasn't there a shitty QB like 10 years ago named Doug Pederson? Is that him?

yes, and "shitty" QBs more often than not make great O coaches.

RealSNR 01-10-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 9302894)

There were rumblings that Tyler Palko was doing a player-coach training thing when he was with us for two years. The staff saw the potential in him to be a great coach- he apparently really "gets" the game, just has zero physical ability or knack for playing the position.

I could see that. A guy who tries that hard to fit in the NFL deserves to accomplish his dream if he works hard enough.

FringeNC 01-10-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 9302894)

And good QBs make too much money to mess with coaching.

DaFace 01-10-2013 11:48 AM

Not that any of this is new news, but...

Quote:

Save Our Chiefs
Catching up on Chiefs news: John Dorsey is finalizing an agreement to become the Chiefs GM. Brad Childress will be hired to serve as an Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Consultant-type role. Doug Pederson is expected to be named Offensive Coordinator and Matt Nagy is now CONFIRMED (via Nick Jacobs at Metro Sports) as the Chiefs QB coach.

mcaj22 01-10-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Childress never called a play when he was in that Philly offense.

All Andy all day. Just like it will be here. Reids way and these peckers are just his buddies along for the ride. Reid's offense or die.

mcaj22 01-10-2013 11:48 AM

who in the blue hell or what is a Matt Nagy?

petegz28 01-10-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9302923)
Not that any of this is new news, but...

Thanks.it gets hard do sort out the Bs from fact in these mega-threads

Hoover 01-10-2013 11:50 AM

Reid has a history of creating good coaches. We need to embrace it. We all say we want the next hot coach and now we have a HC that develops people. Pederson goes from player to quality control to QB coach to OC. All under Reid. This isn't a reach folks, this is a HC who has watched this guy develop.

Deberg_1990 01-10-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9302927)

Former Arena League QB whos been with the Eagles the past few years according to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Nagy

Mr. Flopnuts 01-10-2013 11:51 AM

Backup QB's push paper, and call plays. Why is this a bad idea again? Look at Kubiak.

BigMeatballDave 01-10-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

http://lmgtfy.com/

Hoover 01-10-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Scrubb QB who never made really made it. Made the eagles one year then Reid put him on the staff. First as quality control, now as QB coach. This is the exact same path that Pederson took.

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-10-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9301508)
Packersification is good. They win LMAO. Um Chilly is gona help Doug out so ill take the wait and see approach

This.

FlaChief58 01-10-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 9302932)
Reid has a history of creating good coaches. We need to embrace it. We all say we want the next hot coach and now we have a HC that develops people. Pederson goes from player to quality control to QB coach to OC. All under Reid. This isn't a reach folks, this is a HC who has watched this guy develop.

And he's on the fast track to becoming a HC. Nagy is following in Pederson's footprints. I like it sofar

ChiefMojo 01-10-2013 11:57 AM

Basically both Pederson and Nagy will have Chilly watching over them and helping them.... pretty smart move IMO.

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-10-2013 12:00 PM

This is awesome. I love us being out there and in the mix again.

philfree 01-10-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefMojo (Post 9302952)
Basically both Pederson and Nagy will have Chilly watching over them and helping them.... pretty smart move IMO.

Maybe Chilly is going to be Assistant HC/Quailty Control QBs.

ptlyon 01-10-2013 12:05 PM

Chilly ROFL

FlaChief58 01-10-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefMojo (Post 9302952)

It's amazing the difference in what is going on now vs what we've seen in the past. I'm so excited to see what this team will look like in september :drool:

KCUnited 01-10-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9302996)
Chilly ROFL

Causes a bit of confusion when Reid calls for him.

Hoover 01-10-2013 12:10 PM

Clark is allowing Reid to put together a pretty big staff.

Love the young up and comers with the experienced guys to guide them.

Chief Henry 01-10-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 9303016)
Clark is allowing Reid to put together a pretty big staff.

Love the young up and comers with the experienced guys to guide them.

Its so refreshing to see our organization looking competent. It has been a long time.

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-10-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Henry (Post 9303084)
Its so refreshing to see our organization looking competent. It has been a long time.

We were competent when we hired *****, it just didn't work out.

bevischief 01-10-2013 12:39 PM

Ask me at the end of the season to see if I like this or not. GM I like,the OC is going to have to show me.

Setsuna 01-10-2013 12:41 PM

Does this mean yall will draft a QB? I think it points to signs that you will. If he brought in a vet, you wouldn't need someone who failed at the QB position to teach a vet anywhere.

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-10-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 9303133)
Ask me at the end of the season to see if I like this or not. GM I like,the OC is going to have to show me.

Wait, wuh? We have one? Who?

ShowtimeSBMVP 01-10-2013 12:45 PM

Herbie Teope ‏@HerbieTeope

After earlier listing Matt Nagy as Chiefs QB coach on website, Pro Star Coaching has removed title. https://twitter.com/HerbieTeope/stat...124097/photo/1

bevischief 01-10-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Dick Willie (Post 9303145)
Wait, wuh? We have one? Who?

Save Our Chiefs
Catching up on Chiefs news: John Dorsey is finalizing an agreement to become the Chiefs GM. Brad Childress will be hired to serve as an Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Consultant-type role. Doug Pederson is expected to be named Offensive Coordinator and Matt Nagy is now CONFIRMED (via Nick Jacobs at Metro Sports) as the Chiefs QB coach.

RustShack 01-10-2013 12:50 PM

With all due respect, a lot of you are ****ing stupid. This is Andy Reid's offense regardless of who he hires. You are really bitching because he's bringing in people who have been learning his system for years? Brad Chilldress will also be here helping treach the offense, it doesn't matter if Childress or Pederson is the OC, it's Reid's offense and he's calling the plays. Some people who have worked with Pederson(unlike you ****s) think me might be a HC relatively soon.

RealSNR 01-10-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 9303175)
With all due respect, a lot of you are ****ing stupid. This is Andy Reid's offense regardless of who he hires. You are really bitching because he's bringing in people who have been learning his system for years? Brad Chilldress will also be here helping treach the offense, it doesn't matter if Childress or Pederson is the OC, it's Reid's offense and he's calling the plays. Some people who have worked with Pederson(unlike you ****s) think me might be a HC relatively soon.

Exactly.

I remember the giant push after years of Vermeil and Herm to get a young coordinator with a lot of promise and potential for growth in the coaching ranks. That didn't work out too well, and then people immediately leaped in the opposite direction, demanding Cowher, Gruden, and Fisher. Now we have that experience people asked for after Haley, but the flippin offensive coordinator is now too young and inexperienced?

Get a hold of yourselves. Coaches who lose coordinators to coaching jobs make these kinds of hires all the time. It's a good move.

FringeNC 01-10-2013 01:15 PM

Was looking at some Eagles' statistics under Reid. Interestingly, McNabb never passed for 4,000 in a season. A buddy from Philly has always insisted that McNabb was overrated and it was all Reid. Looking forward to seeing what Reid does with a rookie QB.

Frankie 01-10-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9302910)
There were rumblings that Tyler Palko was doing a player-coach training thing when he was with us for two years. The staff saw the potential in him to be a great coach- he apparently really "gets" the game, just has zero physical ability or knack for playing the position.

I could see that. A guy who tries that hard to fit in the NFL deserves to accomplish his dream if he works hard enough.

I was part and a big perpetrator of that particular "rumbling." I would not be surprised at all if Coach Palko is a hit with fans a decade or so from now.

Players who want to do certain things on the field but are limited physically, tend to try to compensate by being cerebral about it. Players who are physically talented don't have to.

Were Marty, Cower, Jim Harbaugh, etc. great players? No. They were limited players who figured out what to do only to be limited by their own physical limitations.

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-10-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 9303158)
Save Our Chiefs

w00t!!!!!!!

Now, who's this "Nagy-headed" fool?

ptlyon 01-10-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 9303260)
I would not be surprised at all if Coach Palko is a hit with fans a decade or so from now.

Bet not here :)

BigMeatballDave 01-10-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Yep

ct 01-10-2013 02:26 PM

My guess is Childress will be the quasi-OC, with Pederson as the pupil. Reid may actually call the plays tho. I'm thinking Reid knows chilly is a short term hire, will be looking for the next HC opportunity, so let's make sure we have an apprentice in the works if and when he needs to assume the OC role.

The Franchise 01-10-2013 02:29 PM

Reid has already stated that he's NOT calling the plays.

seaofred 01-10-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 9303158)
Save Our Chiefs
Catching up on Chiefs news: John Dorsey is finalizing an agreement to become the Chiefs GM.[/B] Brad Childress will be hired to serve as an Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Consultant-type role. Doug Pederson is expected to be named Offensive Coordinator and Matt Nagy is now CONFIRMED (via Nick Jacobs at Metro Sports) as the Chiefs QB coach.

No disrespect to Marty or the SOC, but they have been saying that for 3 days now. I really wonder what the hold up is.

DaneMcCloud 01-10-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ct (Post 9303419)
My guess is Childress will be the quasi-OC, with Pederson as the pupil. Reid may actually call the plays tho. I'm thinking Reid knows chilly is a short term hire, will be looking for the next HC opportunity, so let's make sure we have an apprentice in the works if and when he needs to assume the OC role.

No NFL will hire Childress as their head coach. If he wants to be a head coach, it'll be on the college level.

Frankie 01-10-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9303523)
No NFL will hire Childress as their head coach. If he wants to be a head coach, it'll be on the college level.

Correct.

chefsos 01-10-2013 03:22 PM

Holy crap. Matt Nagy. I thought I recognized the name; he's a former U of Delaware QB. I'm sure that's very impressive.

DTLB58 01-10-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seaofred (Post 9303431)
No disrespect to Marty or the SOC, but they have been saying that for 3 days now. I really wonder what the hold up is.

Yea, Plus 610 reported Nagy being on that web site as QB coach was taken down. Wonder if someone with the Chiefs made a call and asked them to wait till it's official.

I'm thinking all this is true, just wish it would happen already.

DTLB58 01-10-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9303426)

When? Where? Link? I think I've listened to all the interviews he has done.
How did I miss that? :doh!:

DTLB58 01-10-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

I couldn't agree more with the point you are making, But why do you have to call people names. Jeez, it's just football and opinions. People are wrong and right. Anger Management.

RustShack 01-10-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTLB58 (Post 9303577)
I couldn't agree more with the point you are making, But why do you have to call people names. Jeez, it's just football and opinions. People are wrong and right. Anger Management.

This is Chiefs Planet. Love it or leave it.

seaofred 01-10-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTLB58 (Post 9303558)
Yea, Plus 610 reported Nagy being on that web site as QB coach was taken down. Wonder if someone with the Chiefs made a call and asked them to wait till it's official.

I'm thinking all this is true, just wish it would happen already.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dorsey had already signed, but they are just waiting for all of the coaches to be hired and announce it all at once and have 1 press conference.

HemiEd 01-10-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FringeNC (Post 9303246)
Was looking at some Eagles' statistics under Reid. Interestingly, McNabb never passed for 4,000 in a season. A buddy from Philly has always insisted that McNabb was overrated and it was all Reid. Looking forward to seeing what Reid does with a rookie QB.

Rush Limbaugh?

BigMeatballDave 01-10-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

I heard the same thing, but everyone chooses to ignore it.

RustShack 01-10-2013 03:45 PM

Must say a lot about Pederson if Reid is going to trust him calling plays when he always does it himself.

htismaqe 01-10-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9303607)
I heard the same thing, but everyone chooses to ignore it.

Or believe it.

One of the two.

MIAdragon 01-10-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Im sure that will change at the first bad game or two. He's too much of a control freak.

Strongside 01-10-2013 03:56 PM

Have the prophecies of the ginger come to pass yet? Or are we still waiting on the lion to speak?

Ebolapox 01-10-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTLB58 (Post 9303577)

**** YOU! **** YOU! **** YOU!

just kidding. don't be such a gaz, man.