ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Alex Smith to ask for release (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269401)

KCRED 01-28-2013 05:34 PM

Yeah, no draft picks, but good, WINNING qb to get us throught the next year or two while we groom his successor...Who else?

RealSNR 01-28-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HotCarl (Post 9359180)
I'm sure that is what Lions fans said about Joey Harrington.

We bring in one guy who we know already can play the position in the NFL, and then we work on our projects too. This is the steady improvement approach.

With the team the way it is, we won't be competing for the postseason the first year anyway.

Joey Harrington wasn't responsible for that 0-16 season. He also wasn't responsible for the revolving door of brokedick veterans that kept the team from really competing after they got rid of Harrington. That's the fault of the Lions for getting too scared to draft another guy just because Harrington happened.

OH NOES GUYZ WUT IF QB IS JOEY HARRINGTON WUT WILL WE DO

Sorter 01-28-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

We bring in one guy who we know already can play the position in the NFL, and then we work on our projects too. This is the steady improvement approach.

With the team the way it is, we won't be competing for the postseason the first year anyway.

Uh, Brandon Albert and Donald Stephenson?

I'll sig bet you for a month (if you last that long) that Albert or Stephenson playing behind Geno have a better PFF pass-blocking rating that Joeckel with any team he gets drafted for.

DeezNutz 01-28-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HotCarl (Post 9359160)
Someone compared him to Trent Green. Is that a bad thing?

That someone is a ****ing idiot, and I hope that someone isn't offended by me using ****ing.

HotCarl 01-28-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9359183)
I compared him to Trent Green because the Rams had him as the starter, then found somebody better. Then they let him rot until we came by and coughed up a 1st rounder to not win any playoff games.

Look up Green's numbers, were they not good enough to win in the postseason?

Was Trent Green a great talent at QB, or did he just play the game the right way, and have the benefit of the best offensive line in football?

htismaqe 01-28-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

You call it steady improvement.

Anybody that's actually WATCHED Chiefs football the last 20 years call it perpetual mediocrity.

GTFO.

htismaqe 01-28-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HotCarl (Post 9359199)

Was Trent Green a great talent at QB, or did he just play the game the right way, and have the benefit of the best offensive line in football?

The latter.

RealSNR 01-28-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9359197)
That someone is a ****ing idiot, and I hope that someone isn't offended by me using ****ing.

I made the comparison, but not in the way HotCarl is portraying it.

And I am very offended by harsh language.

DeezNutz 01-28-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9359208)
I made the comparison, but not in the way HotCarl is portraying it.

And I am very offended by harsh language.

I know you did, douche. Thought the snarking about ****ing would clue you in on that since you damaged sensitive parts with such abusive rhetoric yesterday.

Crush 01-28-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HotCarl (Post 9359160)
If Alex Smith becomes a free agent, we should absolutely sign him.

Trading picks for him... eh. We have way too many holes to trade picks unless it's bringing in more picks.

He would be a fine veteran starter. He played well for SF down the stretch last year and for a chunk of this year.

Someone compared him to Trent Green. Is that a bad thing? Green - who by the way had a powerful offensive line with a franchise left tackle - was the best QB this team's had since before most of you were born.

We sign Smith, then in the draft we take BPA at #1 and get two QBs later in the draft, preferably higher in the rest of the draft.

That's the highest tide we could bring in in terms of talent, IMO.

How many playoff games did we win with Green? How many Super Bowls did we win? That's right. The magic number is 0. You have to develop your own QB to win this league. Furthermore, who is your BPA in this draft? Why does it make sense to take two mediocre QBs in this draft instead of one great QB?

RealSNR 01-28-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9359210)
I know you did, douche. Thought the snarking about ****ing would clue you in on that since you damaged sensitive parts with such abusive rhetoric yesterday.

Well I never!

Pasta Little Brioni 01-28-2013 05:44 PM

So, Blackbob is exiled and some other entity picks up the drum continuing the reerunom.

Crush 01-28-2013 05:45 PM

If Hot Carl says Jackoffeyel is the BPA then I know he is trolling.

bevischief 01-28-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HotCarl (Post 9359199)

How old are you 12?

O.city 01-28-2013 05:51 PM

Drafted QB's win SB's. Few exceptions to the rule.

Draft a QB at one, give him every opportunity to succeed and go from there.

O.city 01-28-2013 05:58 PM

I'm sure the Packers wish they hadn't drafted Rodgers, the Giants wish they hadn't drafted Eli, etc.

I don't really care about Alex Smith either way. Stopgap, or starter. If we are drafting a Qb at 1 overall, I'd rather him learn thru trial by fire than sitting. Even after Arog sat, he still had a year or two learning curve.

The Chiefs are in a unique situation in that the first round QB can come in, lean on Charles and Bush (who the Phins aren't re signing and I wouldn't mind bringing in, enough with the change of pace, just get two of the same type and let them run) for a while until he gets his feet wet and ease him in.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-28-2013 05:59 PM

Too risky O. Gotta sure up that line!!!!!

FloridaMan88 01-28-2013 06:00 PM

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO to Alex Smith.

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES to drafting two QB's... including Geno Smith with the first overall pick.

YES to signing Matt Hasselbeck (if the Titans release him) to serve as a 3rd string QB/quasi-assistant coach.

MahiMike 01-28-2013 06:01 PM

I've been calling for Smith squared (Geno and Alex) for some time.

O.city 01-28-2013 06:04 PM

Alex Smith was bad for a while, then once Harbaugh got his hands on him he had a great year and was off to a good start this year.

However, the move by Harbaugh to Kaep really drives the point home. He saw what Smith's ceiling was and figured out he wasn't the answer. Sorry, but I'm tired of starting a QB who has already been figured out that he isn't the answer somewhere else. Generally, they don't go on to be the answer elsewhere. There are a few anomalies, but it's about the same as drafting a late round QB and him working out.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 01-28-2013 06:38 PM

He will be 29 in May. Why waste your time? The vet minimum is too much.

Coogs 01-28-2013 06:39 PM

Not a bad thread. We got into the 160's on post before name calling began.

Enjoyed the conversation fellas. :thumb:

PS -I miss those days around here where we could have civil discussions about things like this. The days before everyone was a dumbass and worse.

SAUTO 01-28-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9359210)

My vagina is still sore.

Please stop guys
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO 01-28-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9359402)
. The days before everyone was a dumbass and worse.

Sorry, should I just kill my self now?
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO 01-28-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9359231)
So, Blackbob is exiled and some other entity picks up the drum continuing the reerunom.

His spirit lives on in his brethren
Posted via Mobile Device

DeezNutz 01-28-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9359443)
My vagina is still sore.

Please stop guys
Posted via Mobile Device

I will not change my ****ing language you pansy-ass, broke, basement dweller.

SAUTO 01-28-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9359455)
I will not change my ****ing language you pansy-ass, broke, basement dweller.

Hey, I finally got to move upstairs. It was exciting. I didn't know what real windows were like to look out of.

Mine were just painted in the walls so I could hang up my smurfs curtains.

They matched the sheets and comforter.
Posted via Mobile Device

okcchief 01-28-2013 06:57 PM

I thought Smith only signed a 1 year contract all this time. No way they will just release him, and no ****ing way would I give up ANYTHING for him. I don't even want him if he's a free agent because that puts us in QB purgatory again. Worse case scenario that I'll accept is swapping picks for Freeman or drafting a QB in the second round. My preference is drafting Geno Smith 1.

DaneMcCloud 01-28-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okcchief (Post 9359473)
I thought Smith only signed a 1 year contract all this time. No way they will just release him, and no ****ing way would I give up ANYTHING for him. I don't even want him if he's a free agent because that puts us in QB purgatory again. Worse case scenario that I'll accept is swapping picks for Freeman or drafting a QB in the second round. My preference is drafting Geno Smith 1.

Wrong.

The 49ers will not pay Alex Smith $8.5 million to be a backup QB.

He will most likely be released, unless there's a team that's in love with him enough to fork over a draft pick or two.

Ace Gunner 01-28-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9357864)
http://tracking.si.com/2013/01/28/al...?sct=obnetwork

If no draft picks are involved, does that change your opinion on bringing him in?

Draft pick, Smith, Stanzi(?) as your QB's in camp.

I changed my mind on him through this season. He played some good ball, got KO'd and Kap has his job because goodell is a ****ing concussion liability weenie breath piece of ****.

Chiefs Pantalones 01-28-2013 07:32 PM

I GOT WOOD!!! /true fans

tk13 01-28-2013 07:34 PM

I wouldn't trade draft picks for the guy but it's amazing that some people treat him like Cassel, like he's some talentless 6th round schmuck who shouldn't be in the league. He was a #1 pick in the draft. He was basically the Geno Smith of his draft.

Setsuna 01-28-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9359567)
I wouldn't trade draft picks for the guy but it's amazing that some people treat him like Cassel, like he's some talentless 6th round schmuck who shouldn't be in the league. He was a #1 pick in the draft. He was basically the Geno Smith of his draft.

Yeah 8 years ago. It's a known fact talent diminishes over time. NO FREAKING WAY!

DeezNutz 01-28-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9359567)

Alex Smith is white, troll.

HolyHat 01-28-2013 07:43 PM

kaepernick will have a rookie contract until the end of the 2013 season, (600k)
With his style that he plays why wouldn't the niners keep Smith? The only way Smith is gone is if he asks for his release.

DJ's left nut 01-28-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9359586)
With his style that he plays why wouldn't the niners keep Smith? The only way Smith is gone is if he asks for his release.

It's a fair point.

Kaepernick is dirt cheap right now. They're paying less for Smith/Kaepernick than we're paying for Cassel.

If they're not going to aggressively pursue FAs, maybe the cap space is better spent on the Kaepernick insurance than anything else.

However, if you're the Niners, you'd be very well served to consider a long-term extension for CK this off-season and if that's the case, suddenly an $8 million backup doesn't make a lot of sense.

HolyHat 01-28-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandusksuna (Post 9359580)
Yeah 8 years ago. It's a known fact talent diminishes over time. NO FREAKING WAY!

Are you a diehard Jags fan? W/O using google can you name your ST coach from 04-06?

tk13 01-28-2013 07:48 PM

Really? You think Aaron Rodgers is less talented today than when he entered the league 7 years ago? Everyone declines eventually but not at the same pace. Joe Flacco certainly looks worlds better than he did 5 years ago.

You have to remember, Smith is 28 years old. He graduated from college in 2 years. I wouldn't call him over the hill yet.

O.city 01-28-2013 07:49 PM

My problem with Smith is, again, a good HC has pretty much already said "he can only take me so far".

DaneMcCloud 01-28-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9359586)

First off, it's already been reported that he will ask for his release.

Secondly, the 49ers have a lot of talent on that team that needs to be locked up.

Dashon Goldson or Alex Smith?

If think everyone knows the answer.

HolyHat 01-28-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9359615)
First off, it's already been reported that he will ask for his release.

Secondly, the 49ers have a lot of talent on that team that needs to be locked up.

Dashon Goldson or Alex Smith?

If think everyone knows the answer.

So it's official that he wants out? I wasn't sure if the media was making a discussion of it or if he was exploring the option.

O.city 01-28-2013 07:53 PM

And really, it's stupid, but my biggest reason for saying no is simply that we didn't draft him.

DaneMcCloud 01-28-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9359617)
So it's official that he wants out? I wasn't sure if the media was making a discussion of it or if he was exploring the option.

He wants out.

And even if he didn't, they have talent to lock up.

SAUTO 01-28-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9359599)
It's a fair point.

Kaepernick is dirt cheap right now. They're paying less for Smith/Kaepernick than we're paying for Cassel.

If they're not going to aggressively pursue FAs, maybe the cap space is better spent on the Kaepernick insurance than anything else.

However, if you're the Niners, you'd be very well served to consider a long-term extension for CK this off-season and if that's the case, suddenly an $8 million backup doesn't make a lot of sense.

Pretty sure they can't sign him until the rookie deal runs out

Edit: it might just be that he can't hold out and get any more money.
Posted via Mobile Device

HolyHat 01-28-2013 07:55 PM

This post season would have been a MUCH different story with Alex Smith as QB

tk13 01-28-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9359619)
And really, it's stupid, but my biggest reason for saying no is simply that we didn't draft him.

Hey, it's Scott Pioli. Welcome to the board.

O.city 01-28-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9359630)
Hey, it's Scott *****. Welcome to the board.

I'm just tired of other teams trash at QB.

Draft a guy at 1 and lets ****ing do this.

In58men 01-28-2013 07:58 PM

Alex Smith is not a ****ing super bow winner. If he was then Jim Harbaugh wouldn't have doubted him. It's ****ing ear that he sucks balls.

FloridaMan88 01-28-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9359302)
Alex Smith was bad for a while, then once Harbaugh got his hands on him he had a great year and was off to a good start this year.

However, the move by Harbaugh to Kaep really drives the point home. He saw what Smith's ceiling was and figured out he wasn't the answer. Sorry, but I'm tired of starting a QB who has already been figured out that he isn't the answer somewhere else. Generally, they don't go on to be the answer elsewhere. There are a few anomalies, but it's about the same as drafting a late round QB and him working out.

Agreed.

Alex Smith's limitations were on full display in the NFC Championship Game against the Giants last season. The 49ers had zero downfield passing game.

whoman69 01-28-2013 08:02 PM

Alex Smith is the poster child of why the Chiefs haven't won a SB in over 40 years. You can't continue to look for that guy who didn't meet his potential somewhere else, or think that somebody else's castoff is going to be our gold. You can talk all you want about there not being a franchise QB in this draft. If we get Alex Smith he will make us just good enough so that next time there is a franchise QB available, we won't be in position to take him.

DaneMcCloud 01-28-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9359633)
I'm just tired of other teams trash at QB.

Draft a guy at 1 and lets ****ing do this.

He's far from trash.

I wouldn't mind one bit if the Chiefs signed Smith, Reggie Bush and Jarius Byrd, then drafted a CB, QB, ILB, QB and DE depth.

I know that's not the "CP Party line", but whatever. They'd compete for a playoff spot and groom a QB, much like San Fran.

DaneMcCloud 01-28-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 9359641)
Alex Smith is the poster child of why the Chiefs haven't won a SB in over 40 years. You can't continue to look for that guy who didn't meet his potential somewhere else, or think that somebody else's castoff is going to be our gold. You can talk all you want about there not being a franchise QB in this draft. If we get Alex Smith he will make us just good enough so that next time there is a franchise QB available, we won't be in position to take him.

Bullshit

O.city 01-28-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9359642)
He's far from trash.

I wouldn't mind one bit if the Chiefs signed Smith, Reggie Bush and Jarius Byrd, then drafted a CB, QB, ILB, QB and DE depth.

I know that's not the "CP Party line", but whatever. They'd compete for a playoff spot and groom a QB, much like San Fran.

Well, he wasn't trash for a year and a half. The other how ever many, he wasn't very good.

And I really don't want to compete for a playoff spot. History is showing that more SB winning QB's come from the first round, so I'd rather get one there and see what happens.

DaneMcCloud 01-28-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9359652)
Well, he wasn't trash for a year and a half. The other how ever many, he wasn't very good.

And I really don't want to compete for a playoff spot. History is showing that more SB winning QB's come from the first round, so I'd rather get one there and see what happens.

Smith was #1 overall and he's young for a guy with eight years experience.

That's a dumb reason, IMO, to dislike the guy.

DeezNutz 01-28-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9359642)
He's far from trash.

I don't want the fourth-best QB in this draft. Coming away with this, after having 1/1, would be a complete failing.

Easy 6 01-28-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 9359290)
YES to signing Matt Hasselbeck (if the Titans release him) to serve as a 3rd string QB/quasi-assistant coach.

Agreed, and he'd be perfect in a 2-3 game pinch... hell, i was pining for the kind of reasonable competence he brings by mid-season this year.

Two hotshots and a grizzled old vet just in case, i like that math a LOT.

DaneMcCloud 01-28-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9359659)
I don't want the fourth-best QB in this draft. Coming away with this, after having 1/1, would be a complete failing.

The only issue is that there may not be a nickel's worth of difference between the first guy and the fourth guy.

The Senior Bowl proved what the media has been reporting all year:

This draft class sucks.

O.city 01-28-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9359658)
Smith was #1 overall and he's young for a guy with eight years experience.

That's a dumb reason, IMO, to dislike the guy.

Yeah, it probably is. I just think we've seen his ceiling and I don't think you can win a SB with that.

DeezNutz 01-28-2013 08:13 PM

For his career, Smith averages 6.6 Y/A and 178 YPG.

Green, in his two years starting before coming to KC, was 7.7 Y/A and about 240ish YPG.

No ****ing thank you on Smith; he's an average to (being generous) slightly above average QB.

DeezNutz 01-28-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9359664)
The only issue is that there may not be a nickel's worth of difference between the first guy and the fourth guy.

This draft class sucks.

Top two guys not there. One by choice and one by injury.

O.city 01-28-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9359664)

This draft class sucks.

I don't think the guys really cared about the game as much as they did the practices.

DaneMcCloud 01-28-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9359678)
Top two guys not there. One by choice and one by injury.

But even so, there's no consensus on the best QB.

DaneMcCloud 01-28-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9359680)
I don't think the guys really cared about the game as much as they did the practices.

That is pure speculation.

O.city 01-28-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9359693)
But even so, there's no consensus on the best QB.

Actually, after the SR bowl, I think there is.

DaneMcCloud 01-28-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9359697)
Actually, after the SR bowl, I think there is.

Really? Link me, please.

O.city 01-28-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9359695)
That is pure speculation.

All or most of the scouts were gone before Saturday, or atleast thats what I read.

Exoter175 01-28-2013 08:18 PM

Alex Smith under Harbaugh has been one of the most efficient and effective QBs in the league. Most people will credit that to Harbaugh, and I believe some credit there is due, either directly or indirectly due to staffing. There is a small degree of unknown there that could suggest that he's "matured" into an NFL caliber QB.

Personally, I was a little shook when he got benched for Kaepernick, as Alex Smith at that point, was statistically the 2nd or 3rd best QB in the league (finished 3rd). I honestly don't think an argument can be made for his receivers making him look better than he is, because Crabtree and Davis have been hit or miss for 2 years now.

All of that said, as long as we still draft a "franchise" QB, I'm totally on board with signing Alex Smith AS A BACKUP, and nothing more. I stipulate that , because I believe Harbaugh had a magical touch in the bay area and Alex was a benefactor of that. With Reid here in KC, I think it would be possible to duplicate Alex's efficiency and success here, so having a proven "winner" as a backup, and an efficient one at that. I'm game.

DaneMcCloud 01-28-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9359677)
For his career, Smith averages 6.6 Y/A and 178 YPG.

Green, in his two years starting before coming to KC, was 7.7 Y/A and about 240ish YPG.

No ****ing thank you on Smith; he's an average to (being generous) slightly above average QB.

Come on, Dude: That is ridiculously unfair.

The guy played for bad head coaches, multiple offensive coordinators and until recently, had shit for wide receivers.

Once he had a competent OC and competent WR's, he's played lights out.

DaneMcCloud 01-28-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9359701)
All or most of the scouts were gone before Saturday, or atleast thats what I read.

That's because game film provides much more information than a seat in the stands.

They're all back on the road.

DaneMcCloud 01-28-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exoter175 (Post 9359703)
Alex Smith under Harbaugh has been one of the most efficient and effective QBs in the league. Most people will credit that to Harbaugh, and I believe some credit there is due, either directly or indirectly due to staffing. There is a small degree of unknown there that could suggest that he's "matured" into an NFL caliber QB.

Personally, I was a little shook when he got benched for Kaepernick, as Alex Smith at that point, was statistically the 2nd or 3rd best QB in the league (finished 3rd). I honestly don't think an argument can be made for his receivers making him look better than he is, because Crabtree and Davis have been hit or miss for 2 years now.

All of that said, as long as we still draft a "franchise" QB, I'm totally on board with signing Alex Smith AS A BACKUP, and nothing more. I stipulate that , because I believe Harbaugh had a magical touch in the bay area and Alex was a benefactor of that. With Reid here in KC, I think it would be possible to duplicate Alex's efficiency and success here, so having a proven "winner" as a backup, and an efficient one at that. I'm game.

You're smoking crack.

Smith isn't going to sign with any team unless he's the guaranteed starter.

O.city 01-28-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9359714)
That's because game film provides much more information than a seat in the stands.

They're all back on the road.

Probably so. They also have films of practice, IIRC.

DeezNutz 01-28-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9359708)
Come on, Dude: That is ridiculously unfair.

The guy played for bad head coaches, multiple offensive coordinators and until recently, had shit for wide receivers.

Once he had a competent OC and competent WR's, he's played lights out.

It's unfair, but at some point a player moves away from "potential" and "developing" and he's exactly what the stats say he is.

Smith should be in his prime right now; this is the best he'll likely be, and it's not good enough.

We can stop-gap this thing indefinitely, or we can try to take a chance. I'd prefer the latter because, if we miss, we'll be right back here next year talking about potentially drafting another QB, just like some are in Cleveland.

HolyHat 01-28-2013 08:23 PM

Maybe this is what Reid was referring to when he said he wanted to find his next Len Dawson...(someone else's backup)
:banghead::banghead:

DaneMcCloud 01-28-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9359723)
It's unfair, but at some point a player moves away from "potential" and "developing" and he's exactly what the stats say he is.

Smith should be in his prime right now; this is the best he'll likely be, and it's not good enough.

We can stop-gap this thing indefinitely, or we can try to take a chance. I'd prefer the latter because, if we miss, we'll be right back here next year talking about potentially drafting another QB, just like some are in Cleveland.

All I'm pointing out is that there are viable alternatives for Reid and Dorsey.

Taking the "sixth best" QB in the 2011 draft has worked out well for San Fran.

tk13 01-28-2013 08:27 PM

I would agree, I don't think he'd come here if we were going to draft a QB at 1. But if he was interested in the idea of coming here despite that, I'd be interested. He's a 28 year old former #1 overall pick. He does have raw talent. But I wouldn't trade picks for him or not draft a QB because of him.

It's unbelievable to me that the same board that one year ago was pining for Kyle flipping Orton thinks Alex Smith is beneath them though. That's crazy.

Exoter175 01-28-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9359719)
You're smoking crack.

Smith isn't going to sign with any team unless he's the guaranteed starter.

I didn't say he would sign with us. I said if we could sign him AS A BACKUP, I'm on board.

While Smith could start for 20 teams or more in this league, he's not going to get many offers to come in and start. In part, due to the harbaugh, and to the number of young guns in this league already. Teams aren't going to turn their back on a young guy who has shown some promise, unless he's a Blaine Gabbert ( a guy I called a bust long before draft day ).

O.city 01-28-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9359743)
All I'm pointing out is that there are viable alternatives for Reid and Dorsey.

Taking the "sixth best" QB in the 2011 draft has worked out well for San Fran.

Yeah, it has worked out well, but it seems the chances become less and less in that.

DaneMcCloud 01-28-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exoter175 (Post 9359751)
I didn't say he would sign with us. I said if we could sign him AS A BACKUP, I'm on board.

While Smith could start for 20 teams or more in this league, he's not going to get many offers to come in and start. In part, due to the harbaugh, and to the number of young guns in this league already. Teams aren't going to turn their back on a young guy who has shown some promise, unless he's a Blaine Gabbert ( a guy I called a bust long before draft day ).

Bullshit

Exoter175 01-28-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9359755)
Bullshit

Bullshit what?

Bullshit that teams wont' turn their back on a young guy showing promise? Or a bullshit just because?

DaneMcCloud 01-28-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9359749)
It's unbelievable to me that the same board that one year ago was pining for Kyle flipping Orton thinks Alex Smith is beneath them though. That's crazy.

Crazy? It's the ****ing bizzaro world.