ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Broncos fear Dan Koppen has torn his ACL (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274881)

Chief Roundup 07-29-2013 01:46 PM

Manny Ramirez has a lot of attitude and no one wants him in baseball anymore so the donkos should......Oh wait...

GoChargers 07-29-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denver Mike (Post 9842833)
A bigger circus than yours? Please

Well, let's compare:

One team lost one of their best players because the GM couldn't operate a fax machine, another one of their best players will be missing 4 games because he couldn't stay away from the weed and ecstacy, two of their front office executives had DUI's, and their starting center just tore his ACL.

The other team is a more-or-less anonymous suck-ass team with no major controversy now that their dumbass GM and coach are gone.

I'd say the Donks are by far the bigger circus.

vailpass 07-29-2013 01:49 PM

Losing Koppen hurts. Only good part is it happened early.

MagicHef 07-29-2013 01:53 PM

I find it interesting how the difference between "one dimensional liability against the run" and "one of our best players" was apparently a single fax.

Quesadilla Joe 07-29-2013 01:54 PM

The fax machine was on Dumervil not us. The Broncos waited until 2 minutes before the deadline before faxing the league that they were releasing him.

DaneMcCloud 07-29-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 9843030)
Thanks for the clarification. Apparently that is very important to Dane.

ROFL

Wow, I guess there's quite a bit you don't understand about the NFL.

Up until this point, I thought it was just Knowmo, but maybe it's all Broncos fans.

Quesadilla Joe 07-29-2013 01:58 PM

We went 13-3 with Manny starting 11 games last year... Yeah, I'm pretty sure we'll be just fine.

DaneMcCloud 07-29-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel>Manning (Post 9843069)
We went 13-3 with Manny starting 11 games last year... Yeah, I'm pretty sure we'll be just fine.

Because playing center is exactly like playing guard

Garcia Bronco 07-29-2013 01:59 PM

It'll be an adjustment for Man Ram, but I think he'll be able to handle it and do a fine job.

MagicHef 07-29-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9843063)
ROFL

Up until this point, I thought it was just Knowmo, but maybe it's all Broncos fans.

So, do Saturday and Sunday count as live?

vailpass 07-29-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9843063)
ROFL

Hey man! That's far from the case.

vailpass 07-29-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 9843075)
It'll be an adjustment for Man Ram, but I think he'll be able to handle it and do a fine job.

I hope so. Center is entirely different than Gaurd. Center runs the OL.

DaneMcCloud 07-29-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 9843075)

That's pure speculation. In six seasons (96 regular season games), he's only started 25.

At least you're being more reasonable than your Bronco brethren that claim he was the starter all along and that you'll be "just fine" because 13 games were won last year.

PS - This is 2013, not 2012.

MagicHef 07-29-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9843073)

LMAO

Do you think Ramirez replacing Koppen will have any effect on how this season plays out for the AFCW?

Quesadilla Joe 07-29-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9843073)

Manning calls the protections and Manny has been our backup center for a few years now. If you're worried about QB/center exchanges that shouldn't be a problem, Manning will make sure they rep it until Ramirez can do it in his sleep.

DaneMcCloud 07-29-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 9843088)
LMAO

Do you think Ramirez replacing Koppen will have any effect on how this season plays out for the AFCW?

I might.

One bad center/QB exchange could affect where your team is seeded in the playoffs (if at all), could affect the outcome of a game, etc.

Considering that Koppen is gone for the season and Walton is reportedly lost for the season, if something happens to Ramirez, the Broncos are in worse shape at center.

vailpass 07-29-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel>Manning (Post 9843089)
Manning calls the protections and Manny has been our backup center for a few years now. If you're worried about QB/center exchanges that shouldn't be a problem, Manning will make sure they rep it until Ramirez can do it in his sleep.

Having it happen early so they have time to work together is a plus. Can't deny that it's not a best case scenario though.

DaneMcCloud 07-29-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel>Manning (Post 9843089)

Dumb

GoChargers 07-29-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel>Manning (Post 9843060)
The fax machine was on Dumervil not us. The Broncos waited until 2 minutes before the deadline before faxing the league that they were releasing him.

Horseface waited until 8 minutes before the deadline to send the contract to begin with. He ****ed up.

Horseface also tried to change the terms of the contract at the last second. So not only is he incompetent, he's a scumbag too.

Garcia Bronco 07-29-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9843086)
That's pure speculation. In six seasons (96 regular season games), he's only started 25.

At least you're being more reasonable than your Bronco brethren that claim he was the starter all along and that you'll be "just fine" because 13 games were won last year.

PS - This is 2013, not 2012.

All battle plans are good until the first shot is fired.

I considered him the weakest part of our line last year. There was a noticeable difference on the right side when he was in compared to a half healthy Kuper. I do believe this though, when there is a guy like Peyton behind center, it's either perform or you won't play. Consequently I think Man Ram will step up his game even more.

Quesadilla Joe 07-29-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9843096)
Dumb

Nice insight.

Garcia Bronco 07-29-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChargers (Post 9843101)
Horseface waited until 8 minutes before the deadline to send the contract to begin with. He ****ed up.

Horseface also tried to change the terms of the contract at the last second. So not only is he incompetent, he's a scumbag too.

Right...that's why Doom fired his agent right afterwards. No. Doom's agent ****ed that up and sat on it all day.

DaneMcCloud 07-29-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel>Manning (Post 9843109)
Nice insight.

I've already provided enough for your dumbass.

Center isn't guard. Ramirez wasn't the starting center. He's started 25 games in six seasons. He's far from a sure thing.

The only sure thing in this thread is that you'll say stupid shit.

ToxSocks 07-29-2013 02:11 PM

They have Peyton Manning. They'll be fine.

Quesadilla Joe 07-29-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

You have no idea what you're talking about. First off, Elway doesn't negotiate or write up contracts, Mike Sullivan does. The Broncos submitted their final proposal early that morning and gave Elvis a deadline. Elvis didn't get back to them until an hour and a half AFTER that deadline, Elway and Fox were in a personnel meeting when Mike Sullivan came in and told them that Elvis was going to take the offer.

Ugly Duck 07-29-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 9843088)
LMAO

I read on Orangemane that since the oline coach secretly thought Ramirez was actually better than Koppen, they essentially lost their backup center when Koppen broke. Thus, because their starter should have been the backup center anyway, the Broncos actually improved when Koppen was lost for the season.

DaneMcCloud 07-29-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ugly Duck (Post 9843126)
I read on Orangemane that since the oline coach secretly thought Ramirez was actually better than Koppen, they essentially lost their backup center when Koppen broke. Thus, because their starter should have been the backup center anyway, the Broncos actually improved when Koppen was lost for the season.

ROFL

Garcia Bronco 07-29-2013 02:22 PM

The "starter" is JD Walton. Not Koppen or Man Ram

MagicHef 07-29-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9843112)

Center isn't guard. Ramirez wasn't the starting center. He's started 25 games in six seasons. He's far from a sure thing.

No one ever said he was a sure thing. I was only pointing out how stupid lamenting the loss of C.J. Davis was.

BigMeatballDave 07-29-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9843011)
One and done means One game PLAYED not one game WON.

I think that's how most people think of it regardless of how urban dictionary defines it.

For example: http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/...tseason-trips/

Yep. And around here, especially.

Ugly Duck 07-29-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 9843137)
The "starter" is JD Walton.

Well, that oughta learn me to reference a source without checking it....

DaneMcCloud 07-29-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 9843137)
The "starter" is JD Walton. Not Koppen or Man Ram

Due to injury, Walton hasn't been the starter for nearly a year.

DaneMcCloud 07-29-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 9843158)
No one ever said he was a sure thing. I was only pointing out how stupid lamenting the loss of C.J. Davis was.

No one? Knowmo thinks Ramirez will be fine.

The bottom line is that the Broncos are on their third center in the past calendar year.

Garcia Bronco 07-29-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9843193)
Due to injury, Walton hasn't been the starter for nearly a year.

He's still the starter bro. If he wasn't on the PUP then he'd be the number 1. Count it.

MagicHef 07-29-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9843201)
No one? Knowmo thinks Ramirez will be fine.

The bottom line is that the Broncos are on their third center in the past calendar year.

I think Ramirez will be fine, too. Am I sure of it? Of course not. However, being on an offense with talent like this one, a single below average player can be gameplanned around fairly easily.

King_Chief_Fan 07-29-2013 03:11 PM

Bronco's have been plugging and playing players on their teams for years.

If we are expecting the center to be the team's waterloo, I don't know what to say

vailpass 07-29-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

ROFL

Chiefs Pantalones 07-29-2013 03:27 PM

Peyton Manning is like, what's an offensive line again? That thing I make look good? Oh, got it.

vailpass 07-29-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 9843318)
Peyton Manning is like, what's an offensive line again? That thing I make look good? Oh, got it.

Heh. Yep. Along with Thomas, Decker, and now Welker.

DaneMcCloud 07-29-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 9843357)
Heh. Yep. Along with Thomas, Decker, and now Welker.

If the line can protect Manning, the Broncos will likely have a very potent offense.

I don't see them winning more than eleven regular season games, but the offense, provided Monte Ball is an NFL back, should be very, very good.

MagicHef 07-29-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9843451)
If the line can protect Manning, the Broncos will likely have a very potent offense.

I don't see them winning more than eleven regular season games, but the offense, provided Monte Ball is an NFL back, should be very, very good.

How many games do you think KC will win?

BigMeatballDave 07-29-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 9843525)

Eleventy-billion

Sorter 07-29-2013 04:44 PM

This is a dream scenario for Poe.

Meanwhile, Dunta is like " God ****ing dammit".

DaneMcCloud 07-29-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 9843525)

I can't make a prediction yet, as I haven't seen this team on the field.

On paper, 10 wins should be their be floor but considering the offense and defense have completely changed schemes and there's been a huge roster turnover, it's really hard to predict.

I'm really excited to see their preseason games, probably the most excited since Vermeil was hired in 2001.

vailpass 07-29-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9843451)

Can't argue with you there. 11 wins is a lot. I'm looking forward to seeing what KC does this season. Hoping the West gets competitive again.

Sorter 07-29-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 9843560)
Can't argue with you there. 11 wins is a lot. I'm looking forward to seeing what KC does this season. Hoping the West gets competitive again.

It would be nice to have a competent division.

ptlyon 07-29-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueFanDave (Post 9843533)
Eleventy-billion

And then one & done? :)

MagicHef 07-29-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9843540)
I can't make a prediction yet, as I haven't seen this team on the field.

On paper, 10 wins should be their be floor but considering the offense and defense have completely changed schemes and there's been a huge roster turnover, it's really hard to predict.

I'm really excited to see their preseason games, probably the most excited since Vermeil was hired in 2001.

What chances do you give KC to win the division?

Easy 6 07-29-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9843534)
This is a dream scenario for Poe.

Cant Wait to see him used as more than just a space eating dancing bear, he's much too athletic and fast to be used that way... turn that guy loose to penetrate and make offenses react.

Sorter 07-29-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9843587)
Cant Wait to see him used as more than just a space eating dancing bear, he's much too athletic and fast to be used that way... turn that guy loose to penetrate and make offenses react.

He got to in sub fronts, I just want to see it happen out of base 3-4 looks. If we can develop a pass rush on base fronts, I'll just be giddy.

DaneMcCloud 07-29-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 9843581)
What chances do you give KC to win the division?

Dude, I can't tell you until I actually see this team perform in preseason.

Easy 6 07-29-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9843617)
If we can develop a pass rush on base fronts, I'll just be giddy.

Amen and pass the mustard

Sorter 07-29-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9843621)
Amen and pass the mustard

Will dijon suffice?

DaneMcCloud 07-29-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 9843560)

The Broncos have a tough schedule. Whereas the Chiefs have the Browns and Bills, the Broncos have the Ravens and the Patriots. It's also unlikely they go 6-0 in the division again.

They're going to be a good team. Maybe even a very, very good team. But anything over 12 wins and you're just benefiting from the bad luck of other teams and a shit division.

Easy 6 07-29-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9843623)
Will dijon suffice?

Indeed it will

vailpass 07-29-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9843624)
The Broncos have a tough schedule. Whereas the Chiefs have the Browns and Bills, the Broncos have the Ravens and the Patriots. It's also unlikely they go 6-0 in the division again.

They're going to be a good team. Maybe even a very, very good team. But anything over 12 wins and you're just benefiting from the bad luck of other teams and a shit division.

Again, can't argue with you there. I'm ready for some football. Problem I see for KC is the receiving corp but we'll see what Reid/Smith can do.

BigMeatballDave 07-29-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 9843655)
Again, can't argue with you there. I'm ready for some football. Problem I see for KC is the receiving corp but we'll see what Reid/Smith can do.

Not much after Bowe, but Avery caught 60 last season.

vailpass 07-29-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueFanDave (Post 9843664)
Not much after Bowe, but Avery caught 60 last season.

New regime, New QB. I expect Charles and even McCluster to figure into your passing game now.

BossChief 07-29-2013 05:38 PM

Dane, the Chiefs have far too many question marks to have a 10 win floor.

Sorry, but that's just not realistic IMO.

Time will tell, though.

Pasta Little Brioni 07-29-2013 06:41 PM

I think Dane is spot on Boss. Everyone with a brain knows that not taking care of the football led to the 2 win total last season. They'll be much better than that and with the emphasis on creating pressure on defense, they should force alot more as well. Turning around the turnover differential is the surest way to turning a season around. The Top like 8 teams in the NFC in plus minus had winning records.

BigMeatballDave 07-29-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9843784)
I think Dane is spot on Boss. Everyone with a brain knows that not taking care of the football led to the 2 win total last season. They'll be much better than that and with the emphasis on creating pressure on defense, they should force alot more as well. Turning around the turnover differential is the surest way to turning a season around. The Top like 8 teams in the NFC in plus minus had winning records.

People keep forgetting about all of the turnovers last year. I'm still in wait and see mode, but this team just has to be betting. A lot better.

Pasta Little Brioni 07-29-2013 07:01 PM

I'm expecting a quality team this year. I'll be disappointed with anything less given the coaching hires and players they acquired.

O.city 07-29-2013 07:02 PM

There's just so many "ifs" this year.

Pasta Little Brioni 07-29-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9843811)

It's the NFL, not Madden. That's just how the league is.

DaneMcCloud 07-29-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

No, there isn't.

The Chiefs have less questions than about 20 teams in the league.

They're not top tier, but there's no reason why they shouldn't be in every game and get ten wins.

BossChief 07-29-2013 07:23 PM

It wasn't just turnovers, though.

CB2 couldn't cover anyone and it's absolutely possible that we didn't upgrade much (if at all) at that spot.
Eric Berry continues to struggle in coverage
Our depth at linebacker isn't very good.
Dante Robinson got burnt all year last year (even Dexter McCluster beat him a bunch of times) and he is penciled in to play a lot of time.
Our wide receivers (outside of Bowe) arent especially good.
Our offensive line will have at least 2 new starters
Outside of Charles, our running backs are somewhat suspect
Andy Reid is a pass first coach that wants to throw the ball 600+ times and we traded for a QB that hasn't ever thrown more than 445 passes in a season and has a total of 81 passing touchdowns in 75 career starts.
Our defensive line isn't a bunch of attacking guys, they are run stoppers that don't move especially well (outside of Poe) and the position group as a whole is in discussion for weakest unit on the team.

Outside of the personnel question marks, we are installing a brand new offense and defense, blocking schemes, philosophies and are basically starting from scratch on both sides of the ball.

I know that limiting turnovers will cure a lot of this teams problems, but there are just too many things that need to fall into place for this team to be branded "10 win floor" just yet.

BigMeatballDave 07-29-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9843835)
No, there isn't.

The Chiefs have less questions than about 20 teams in the league.

They're not top tier, but there's no reason why they shouldn't be in every game and get ten wins.

HOMER DANE!

:)

DaneMcCloud 07-29-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9843850)
I know that limiting turnovers will cure a lot of this teams problems, but there are just too many things that need to fall into place for this team to be branded "10 win floor" just yet.

Agree to disagree.

If this team can't beat the Brown, Jags, Bills, plus the Raiders and Chargers at least once, then you might be right.

But that's five wins, right there. The Eagles certainly don't scare anyone nor do the Titans.

So if they win those seven games (which I think is likely), all they need is three more wins.

DaneMcCloud 07-29-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueFanDave (Post 9843853)
HOMER DANE!

:)

**** being a "homer". It's about the coaching staff, players and logic.

Cannibal 07-29-2013 07:51 PM

I predicted 11 wins after the Reid hire, free agency and draft. I'm sticking with that. The team was overall pretty good in terms of talent, but had dreadful coaching, offensive play calling and QB play. They've made drastic improvements in all three areas this off season. It's not a homer view, it's a logical view.

MMXcalibur 07-29-2013 08:17 PM

If John Elway widened his buttcheeks and took a big, steamy dump on Knowmo's dinner plate, he would proclaim that it had a "nutty" aftertaste, clean his plate, and ask for seconds.

DJ's left nut 07-29-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9843112)

The Broncos fans I know IRL were ecstatic to be getting Ramirez off the field in favor of Vasquez.

All of the sudden he's going to step in and replace a guy that's started from day 1 in the NFL and has been the leader of SB winning O-lines. Now they're acting like he's been a boss all along.

Koppens a big time loss.

Not against us, mind you (as this team can't generate an interior rush to save its life), but it could very easily cost them a game along the way.

Chief Roundup 07-29-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

If Alex is better than Cassel. If Fisher is better than Winston. If Reid is better than Crennel. If Dorsey is better than Pioli. I would say all of those ifs went in a positive direction.

petegz28 07-29-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9844049)
If Alex is better than Cassel. If Fisher is better than Winston. If Reid is better than Crennel. If Dorsey is better than Pioli. I would say all of those ifs went in a positive direction.

The only ? there is Fish. Then again he can't be worse than Winston. And we now have a QB that doesn't shit his pants at the first sign of a possible pass rush.

MagicHef 07-29-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9844048)
The Broncos fans I know IRL were ecstatic to be getting Ramirez off the field in favor of Vasquez.

All of the sudden he's going to step in and replace a guy that's started from day 1 in the NFL and has been the leader of SB winning O-lines. Now they're acting like he's been a boss all along.

Koppens a big time loss.

Not against us, mind you (as this team can't generate an interior rush to save its life), but it could very easily cost them a game along the way.

Yeah, especially since we gave up so much to get Koppen.

No, wait. The Patriots cut him. They must be out of their minds to cut "a guy that's started from day 1 in the NFL and has been the leader of SB winning O-lines."

BossChief 07-29-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9844059)
The only ? there is Fish. Then again he can't be worse than Winston. And we now have a QB that doesn't shit his pants at the first sign of a possible pass rush.

Can't be worse than Winston?

Haha. Winston is a top 5 right tackle in this league when healthy. Let's not shit on the guy just yet.

We don't have a QB that shits his pants under pressure?

WHAT?

Alex Smith is one of the most sacked quarterbacks in the NFL in attempts per sack.

If not, the worst.

BossChief 07-29-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 9844061)
Yeah, especially since we gave up so much to get Koppen.

No, wait. The Patriots cut him. They must be out of their minds to cut "a guy that's started from day 1 in the NFL and has been the leader of SB winning O-lines."

Who cares what you gave up to get him? How is that relevant?

It's a big loss because the dropoff from him (and JD Walton) to Manny Ramirez is pretty sizable.

MagicHef 07-29-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9844078)
Who cares what you gave up to get him? How is that relevant?

It's a big loss because the dropoff from him (and JD Walton) to Manny Ramirez is pretty sizable.

Yeah, that wasn't the point. The point is that there's a reason he got cut from the Pats and was going to retire. The reason is that he's old and not as good as he used to be.

In the end, Ramirez & Vasquez is better than Koppen & Ramirez.

BossChief 07-29-2013 09:38 PM

How about Koppen and Vasquez?

Cmon.

DaneMcCloud 07-29-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 9844100)
In the end, Ramirez & Vasquez is better than Koppen & Ramirez.

Complete speculation.

You're telling us that plugging in a guard that's started for a mere 25 games (out of 96 eligible) is better than a former All Pro, two time winning Super Bowl winning center?

Seriously?