ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Sac's 2014 Chiefs Mock Draft (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=275310)

McBeard 01-07-2014 07:25 AM

I just don't know about Clinton-Dix. He's an upgrade over Lewis in coverage but I don't think he is an upgrade at tackling. That should say a lot because Lewis was a terrible tackler. I think there is a real possibility he could drop because of the tackling so there is a chance KC could get him. Could he be the next Ed Reed? Reed wasn't a good tackler coming into the league either but he sure as hell could make some plays. Clinton-Dix's potential is hard to judge and I keep going back and fourth on the guy. Calvin Pryor is definitely better all around. Clinton-Dix is boom or bust in my opinion and if he booms he could be special.

OldSchool 01-07-2014 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 10321992)
Moncrief reminds me a lot of DBowe only with great route running. This is a deep receiver class, so maybe he drops to the second round, but I doubt he makes it to the bottom of three. The only reason I know about him is because I followed him a bit last year.

I agree. Unfortunately Moncreif also has Bowe's penchant for dropping passes he should catch. If we were to go Wr, I would go with Odell Beckham Jr. in the first. He's a Steve Smith clone with a bit more size if I've ever seen one.

OldSchool 01-07-2014 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McBeard (Post 10352772)
I just don't know about Clinton-Dix. He's an upgrade over Lewis in coverage but I don't think he is an upgrade at tackling. That should say a lot because Lewis was a terrible tackler. I think there is a real possibility he could drop because of the tackling so there is a chance KC could get him. Could he be the next Ed Reed? Reed wasn't a good tackler coming into the league either but he sure as hell could make some plays. Clinton-Dix's potential is hard to judge and I keep going back and fourth on the guy. Calvin Pryor is definitely better all around. Clinton-Dix is boom or bust in my opinion and if he booms he could be special.

I view Dix as a second round talent. I would take Calvin Pryor over him but I wouldn't take either of them in the first.

Saccopoo 01-07-2014 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10353242)
I agree. Unfortunately Moncreif also has Bowe's penchant for dropping passes he should catch. If we were to go Wr, I would go with Odell Beckham Jr. in the first. He's a Steve Smith clone with a bit more size if I've ever seen one.

That's a good comparison. Beckham has really nice hands and is very stout. He's also exceptionally fast in pads like Smith.

Easy 6 01-07-2014 08:59 PM

Ok, you guys have me freakin SOLD with the Steve Smith/Beckham comparisons.

Get that guy IN here.

Easy 6 01-07-2014 09:05 PM

Not sure if he's quite as fast or quick as Smith in his prime, looks good nonetheless... reaches out for his grabs, will go up in traffic, can adjust to the ball in the air.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/t8KoAJ-Y5MU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Saccopoo 01-09-2014 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10354250)
Not sure if he's quite as fast or quick as Smith in his prime, looks good nonetheless... reaches out for his grabs, will go up in traffic, can adjust to the ball in the air.

Yeah, I think he's damn near prototype as a slot receiver at the next level. (And that position in and of itself has become one of the more important positions in the modern age of the NFL.)

As I stated in some other thread, if they could pick up a guy like Riley Cooper in free agency (which would solve a lot of the Chiefs problems in terms of having a WR capable of running solid routes with reliable hands) and then get a guy like Beckham for the slot, it would infinitely upgrade the Chiefs offense.

The thing is, FS is a huge concern. I had hopes that Kendrick Lewis would build on the potential he showed as a rookie, where he seemed to show some pretty good cover skills. However, I think primarily due to the shoulder injury, he's been tentative and slow to react. It might also be scheme change. Who knows, but this season he was not good and I'd be worried about going forward without addressing the position.

I had hopes for Brad McDougald, as he had a monster preseason and was really just learning the position after being a WR for most of his college career (why he chose KU over Ohio State as the Jayhawks were going to let him play wideout while the Buckeyes were moving him to safety). A lot of potential, but after enough musical chairs with game day roster and practice squad, he got highjacked by the Buccaneers 3/4 through the season. Bummer.

As such, a guy like Clinton-Dix, who has played free safety in a 34 at Alabama, would be very tempting if he was there when the Chiefs picked in the first round over a WR prospect - as the draft is heavy at the wideout position and you will be able to get high quality guys later in the draft versus the safety positon, which is incredibly thin.

Direckshun 01-09-2014 11:55 AM

Yeah, if Clinton-Dix has survived to 23, you really, really need to look at him.

The problem, however: you need to examine the history books and see how many teams that spend two first rounders on safeties do in the Super Bowl.

Dave Lane 01-09-2014 12:35 PM

So only 2 Linemen and 1 player from Utah in a Sac draft? OK this is cut and paste from somewhere.

The Franchise 01-09-2014 02:50 PM

I can't wait to see the first time he drops a ball. This fanbase is reeruned when it comes to WRs.

OldSchool 01-09-2014 03:36 PM

I honestly don't think that any safety available in the draft this year will be an immediate upgrade over what is already inhouse. None of the safeties are worth a 1st rounder.

RealSNR 01-09-2014 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10357956)
I can't wait to see the first time he drops a ball. This fanbase is reeruned when it comes to WRs.

This.

People don't understand just how many times truly great WRs drop passes.

Jerry Rice was NOT the sure-hands asshole many fans of the Chiefs probably think he is. And the same goes for Andre Johnson, Demaryius Thomas, and a bunch of other very good starting WRs for other teams.

Mav 01-10-2014 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10357559)
Yeah, if Clinton-Dix has survived to 23, you really, really need to look at him.

The problem, however: you need to examine the history books and see how many teams that spend two first rounders on safeties do in the Super Bowl.

Hmmm. Never thought about it that way.

Mav 01-10-2014 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10358038)
I honestly don't think that any safety available in the draft this year will be an immediate upgrade over what is already inhouse. None of the safeties are worth a 1st rounder.

Lol. A blocking dummy would be more effective than Lewis.

Mav 01-10-2014 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10358141)
This.

People don't understand just how many times truly great WRs drop passes.

Jerry Rice was NOT the sure-hands asshole many fans of the Chiefs probably think he is. And the same goes for Andre Johnson, Demaryius Thomas, and a bunch of other very good starting WRs for other teams.

Crabtree was stone hands. About the only receivers I can recall being just nails. Keenan Allen, Calvin, Fitzgerald.

Nightfyre 01-10-2014 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10357559)

All I know is that if our FS plays at a high level, he is ball-hawking on crossing routes, picking up deep routes for our corners and making ****ing tackles and those are the biggest cracks our defense showed. Shore those up and all of a sudden that pass rush is in the picture again. It would really elevate this defense to the point where we sweep SD, take one from Denver and beat Indy in the playoffs. In fact, I would go as far as saying that if we had better free safety play, the only game it doesn't make a ridiculous difference in is the first Indy game. All that said, I would just as soon shore up the safety position via free agency since it is the most glaring team weakness. It really frees us up to do BPA in the draft.

Mav 01-10-2014 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 10358866)
All I know is that if our FS plays at a high level, he is ball-hawking on crossing routes, picking up deep routes for our corners and making ****ing tackles and those are the biggest cracks our defense showed. Shore those up and all of a sudden that pass rush is in the picture again. It would really elevate this defense to the point where we sweep SD, take one from Denver and beat Indy in the playoffs. In fact, I would go as far as saying that if we had better free safety play, the only game it doesn't make a ridiculous difference in is the first Indy game. All that said, I would just as soon shore up the safety position via free agency since it is the most glaring team weakness. It really frees us up to do BPA in the draft.

Agreed. When he was a rookie I really liked nate allen. He will be a free agent. Wonder if he will get a look

OldSchool 01-10-2014 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 10359068)
Agreed. When he was a rookie I really liked nate allen. He will be a free agent. Wonder if he will get a look

Do you know the word? Byrd is the word. I doubt that the Bills will let him test the market though.

Possibility of taking Dion Bailey in the 3rd-4th and putting him at SS while letting Flowers be the center fielder? Bailey did a lot of what Flowers was asked to do this year, moving down into the box as well as being moved back to the traditional safety position. I would like Pryor over Bailey but he will most likely test himself out of the Chiefs' 3rd round pick.

Another intiguing player is Lamarcus Joyner. Really undersized but is a play maker from the SS position. Reminds me a lot of Honey Badger, Bob Sanders (when he was good), and Donte Hitner. Seems to have excellent instincts, quickness, fearlessness, and drive to make the play. He's just a lot smaller than you would like, especially with much bigger receivers in the NFL. If he were just a couple of inches taller he would probably be seen as the best safety prospect in this draft.

Saccopoo 01-10-2014 11:42 AM

Eric Berry isn't a free safety. No how, no way. He's a front end box strong safety. Maybe the best in the NFL, but he's not a free safety in any shape or form.

He's got the hyper athleticism that says he could be, but he's not.

Forget about this option.

Personally, I wouldn't mind either Flowers or Sean Smith at free safety. Flowers hits like a truck, relishes it in fact, and we all know he can cover. He was basically playing the nickel/second free safety spot in the zone the last part of the season while Cooper picked up the outside. (Personally, I feel that his injury and subsequent lack of presence in the Colts playoff game was the biggest detriment to the Chiefs in that game.)

And I thought the Chiefs should have looked at Sean Smith as a free safety coming out of college.

And we have the enigmatic Sanders Commings, who you can lump into the Travis Kelce pile. All the talent in the world, but are we ever going to see any of it at Arrowhead. Commings is fast as shit, hits like a loaded blackjack and can cover. However, he's had injuries that haven't let him see the field. Potential is there to have him start as early as next year, pushing Lewis into third option dime defensive back and making Dunta Robinson a ghost.

As well, Abdullah, who fell off NFL radars because of his year long religious sabbatical, can play. He has a very good feel for the ball in coverage and is willing to come up and make the big hit.

Like the tight end position and Kelce, if Commings is 100% by the start of 2014, the safety position doesn't need to be addressed. Berry, Commings, Abdullah, Demps and Lewis is a solid rotation (and you could throw Flowers into that mix if you want). I'd love to see them try to get McDougald back from the Bucs as well, as I thought he looked better than any other safety on roster in the preseason.

And I think that Byrd is a pipe dream. Much like Dennis Pitta at Baltimore, there is no way that the Bills are going to let him walk. He's their favorite son on a defense that's loaded with talent.

Now, however, I would love to see the Chiefs pick up Dennis Pitta and Jarius Byrd in free agency and have both position absolutely loaded, however both are gong to be very expensive and both will most likely be recipients of a franchise tag if a deal isn't worked out.

Easy 6 01-10-2014 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 10357511)
Yeah, I think he's damn near prototype as a slot receiver at the next level. (And that position in and of itself has become one of the more important positions in the modern age of the NFL.)

As I stated in some other thread, if they could pick up a guy like Riley Cooper in free agency (which would solve a lot of the Chiefs problems in terms of having a WR capable of running solid routes with reliable hands) and then get a guy like Beckham for the slot, it would infinitely upgrade the Chiefs offense.

The thing is, FS is a huge concern. I had hopes that Kendrick Lewis would build on the potential he showed as a rookie, where he seemed to show some pretty good cover skills. However, I think primarily due to the shoulder injury, he's been tentative and slow to react. It might also be scheme change. Who knows, but this season he was not good and I'd be worried about going forward without addressing the position.

I had hopes for Brad McDougald, as he had a monster preseason and was really just learning the position after being a WR for most of his college career (why he chose KU over Ohio State as the Jayhawks were going to let him play wideout while the Buckeyes were moving him to safety). A lot of potential, but after enough musical chairs with game day roster and practice squad, he got highjacked by the Buccaneers 3/4 through the season. Bummer.

As such, a guy like Clinton-Dix, who has played free safety in a 34 at Alabama, would be very tempting if he was there when the Chiefs picked in the first round over a WR prospect - as the draft is heavy at the wideout position and you will be able to get high quality guys later in the draft versus the safety positon, which is incredibly thin.

WR, FS... I'm pretty much fine with either one with the first pick, they just have to makes sure they hit on him. I'd prefer a FS since he would probably have more impact than a receiver right away, but as long as they do something to address the other position in free agency I'd be fine with it.

Nightfyre 01-10-2014 12:23 PM

Another good pickup would definitely be DRC. He would bring some speed and man coverage skills.

RealSNR 01-10-2014 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 10359296)
Eric Berry isn't a free safety. No how, no way. He's a front end box strong safety. Maybe the best in the NFL, but he's not a free safety in any shape or form.

He's got the hyper athleticism that says he could be, but he's not.

Forget about this option.

Personally, I wouldn't mind either Flowers or Sean Smith at free safety. Flowers hits like a truck, relishes it in fact, and we all know he can cover. He was basically playing the nickel/second free safety spot in the zone the last part of the season while Cooper picked up the outside. (Personally, I feel that his injury and subsequent lack of presence in the Colts playoff game was the biggest detriment to the Chiefs in that game.)

And I thought the Chiefs should have looked at Sean Smith as a free safety coming out of college.

And we have the enigmatic Sanders Commings, who you can lump into the Travis Kelce pile. All the talent in the world, but are we ever going to see any of it at Arrowhead. Commings is fast as shit, hits like a loaded blackjack and can cover. However, he's had injuries that haven't let him see the field. Potential is there to have him start as early as next year, pushing Lewis into third option dime defensive back and making Dunta Robinson a ghost.

As well, Abdullah, who fell off NFL radars because of his year long religious sabbatical, can play. He has a very good feel for the ball in coverage and is willing to come up and make the big hit.

Like the tight end position and Kelce, if Commings is 100% by the start of 2014, the safety position doesn't need to be addressed. Berry, Commings, Abdullah, Demps and Lewis is a solid rotation (and you could throw Flowers into that mix if you want). I'd love to see them try to get McDougald back from the Bucs as well, as I thought he looked better than any other safety on roster in the preseason.

And I think that Byrd is a pipe dream. Much like Dennis Pitta at Baltimore, there is no way that the Bills are going to let him walk. He's their favorite son on a defense that's loaded with talent.

Now, however, I would love to see the Chiefs pick up Dennis Pitta and Jarius Byrd in free agency and have both position absolutely loaded, however both are gong to be very expensive and both will most likely be recipients of a franchise tag if a deal isn't worked out.

Racist.

Saccopoo 01-10-2014 01:03 PM

Newly updated to reflect potential needs after the playoff loss to the Colts.

RunKC 01-10-2014 01:15 PM

I like the WR's Sac but I think we need a pass rushing presence up front to support the front 7. The D was good when we had pressure.

I like stephon Tuitt a lot in the first round

The Franchise 01-10-2014 01:43 PM

I know WR is a need but spending our first 2 picks would be monumentally stupid. They aren't both going to come in and produce at a high level. This team needs a DE who can actually bring pressure and another OLB who can help out Hali and Houston. Not to mention a safety....unless you think that Commings or Abdullah is going to fill that void.

I would rather sign a WR in FA and then take one in the 3rd round.....like Cooks. Sign Cooper and put Cooks in the slot. With your two.....your keeping what WRs? Bowe, Beckham, Coleman, Avery and McCluster?

Saccopoo 01-10-2014 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 10359477)
I like the WR's Sac but I think we need a pass rushing presence up front to support the front 7. The D was good when we had pressure.

I like stephon Tuitt a lot in the first round

There is no chance in hell that Tuitt is there when the Chiefs pick. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Nyet. Bupkis. You get the idea.

It really all depends on what they want to do with Tyson Jackson. I think he's turned into a pretty solid five tech DE, with a real emphasis on run support. He will get to the passer, but rarely. And the guy is a behemoth with experience in the system and NFL. And he's just entering his prime and will most likely not be too expensive on the free agent market. I'd even expect to see him get a deal done with the team earlier rather than later.

As well, I think that Allen Bailey really turned in a solid performance in 2013 and was very effective in collapsing the pocket. He's not as tall as either Jackson or someone like Tuitt, but he's a freaking load as he's bull strong.

In addition, I do like Catapano. Like Bailey, he's extremely strong. If he can put on another 10-20 lbs. of useable mass, you've got yourselves a real option there as well.

I think they are okay at the five tech if they sign Jackson to a relatively reasonable deal.

My biggest concern on the defensive line is/was the lack of rotation at the NT spot. I'm still wondering why a guy like Powe wasn't in on the rotation while they seemed happy to ride Dontari into the ground like a Leadville mule. In fact, if Sutton would employ a little more of the 46 defense (and I know he knows it and runs it), putting Poe out at LDE with Powe at NT, I think that it would pay immense dividends, especially on first and second down situations.

That would even allow you to then use Jackson as your NT with Bailey/Catapano as your other set down lineman on third down sub packages versus keeping Poe in the game for every single snap for an entire season.

But what do I know...

Saccopoo 01-10-2014 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10359522)
I know WR is a need but spending our first 2 picks would be monumentally stupid. They aren't both going to come in and produce at a high level. This team needs a DE who can actually bring pressure and another OLB who can help out Hali and Houston. Not to mention a safety....unless you think that Commings or Abdullah is going to fill that void.

In terms of the DE postion, see my previous post.

The Gayle pick addresses the OLB position. Zimmerman the safety spot. And you keep/resign Lewis and Abdullah. Demps is gone as KO return duties are taken over by Beckham.

Quote:

I would rather sign a WR in FA and then take one in the 3rd round.....like Cooks. Sign Cooper and put Cooks in the slot. With your two.....your keeping what WRs? Bowe, Beckham, Coleman, Avery and McCluster?
The problem is, there isn't many viable options at the wide receiver position in free agency as it relates to the Chiefs with Dwayne Bowe eating up that much cap space. Riley Cooper appears to be the best of the bunch, understands the offense and runs good routes with good hands and still has some gas in the tank. I'd be shocked if he isn't on the Chiefs next season actually understanding the needs of the team, Reid's familiarity with him, etc. I think he'd be a really nice addition. (Shit, he made less money than Chad Hall did this past season.)

Beckham is a better option than Cooks at the same position and Coleman's upside is simply too much to ignore. They were only running Bowe, McCluster and Avery last season anyway.

If you draft Beckham and sign Cooper, I'd show Avery the door. Avery was a complete liability with his hands and doesn't know how/can't run any other route other than simple post patterns.

If it were me, this is what it would look like:

Bowe
Cooper
McCluster
Beckham
Coleman

Coleman's potential/ceiling is simply too much to ignore and he can learn the system as the #5 guy, who doesn't seem that much action, if any, in this offense anyway. He's middle ground between a Calvin Johnson and Jon Baldwin, and I think his upside is way more towards Megatron versus his downside going towards Busto Baldwin. And, like I said, you can use him in that flex TE/slot position as well. The payoff could be absolutely huge with a guy like that.

Direckshun 01-10-2014 02:42 PM

Please don't compare anybody to Calvin Johnson.

Kind regards,

Direckshun

The Franchise 01-10-2014 02:45 PM

You just advocated giving Kendrick Lewis a new contract. You're dead to me.

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-10-2014 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10359641)

Kind regards,

Direckshun

http://ktgr.com/wp-content/uploads/2...4-681x1024.jpg

Mav 01-10-2014 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10359673)

I haven't watched a ton of him. I saw more Josh Gordon/ Andre Johnson in him though.

Calvin. Hes just a different animal period.

Mav 01-10-2014 03:33 PM

Coleman went to Virginia?

What the hell is doing in two separate videos wearing Rutgers GEAR.

Someone is going to be NO HAPPY. ROFL

Saccopoo 01-10-2014 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10359641)

Kind regards,

Direckshun

You silly goose. I specifically said he wasn't Megatron. Right now, he's in the large grey area between Johnson and Baldwin - guys with size and potential, and who has achieved potential and who has not.

Coleman definitely has the size and the potential. As I stated, he most likely would have been a top half, first round draft pick next year as all the top juniors seem to have declared. And unlike Baldwin, Coleman is incredibly effective in coming off the line against press coverage (something that Baldwin was flat out horrible at).

Huge ceiling with the guy.

Saccopoo 01-10-2014 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 10359851)
Coleman went to Virginia?

What the hell is doing in two separate videos wearing Rutgers GEAR.

Someone is going to be NO HAPPY. ROFL

Thank you for noticing.

Ass.

aturnis 01-12-2014 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10359660)
You just advocated giving Kendrick Lewis a new contract. You're dead to me.

This.

Saccopoo 01-12-2014 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 10363453)
This.

I know the guy had a shit season. Horrible. Putrid.

But he also had a pretty darn good rookie season. I don't see guys just going in the tank that fast. There has got to be some middle ground there.

Perhaps it was scheme. Perhaps it was his injury that made him tentative. I don't know. I just don't know. He obviously blew, the scheme blew or something, because the offenses we played went after that area of the field like a hungry chicken after a hot horse turd.

Right now, they definitely need somebody back there that can turn on a ball and get into the right position in a deep zone.

That's why I have Zimmerman in my mock. He's as good as anybody at the position in this draft class at playing the ball in the air. Really solid player.

And I'd be pretty okay with Berry and Abdullah starting and Commings and Zimmerman as your reserves/nickel/dime guys.

aturnis 01-14-2014 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 10363468)
I know the guy had a shit season. Horrible. Putrid.

But he also had a pretty darn good rookie season. I don't see guys just going in the tank that fast. There has got to be some middle ground there.

Perhaps it was scheme. Perhaps it was his injury that made him tentative. I don't know. I just don't know. He obviously blew, the scheme blew or something, because the offenses we played went after that area of the field like a hungry chicken after a hot horse turd.

Right now, they definitely need somebody back there that can turn on a ball and get into the right position in a deep zone.

That's why I have Zimmerman in my mock. He's as good as anybody at the position in this draft class at playing the ball in the air. Really solid player.

And I'd be pretty okay with Berry and Abdullah starting and Commings and Zimmerman as your reserves/nickel/dime guys.

That was also before he destroyed his shoulder causing him to favor it and making him an even worse tackler than he already was. Even if he was good in coverage, he's such a liability as a tackler that he has to go.

Saccopoo 01-14-2014 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 10369362)
That was also before he destroyed his shoulder causing him to favor it and making him an even worse tackler than he already was. Even if he was good in coverage, he's such a liability as a tackler that he has to go.

I know...

It just bothers me that he flashed some serious potential his rookie season. I thought he soundly outplayed Berry that year.

And I'm sure the shoulder situation has something to do with it. The position is a brutal position to play - you've got to keep your weight down to be effective going against speed guys, but then you are still asked to deal with huge tight ends, power backs, and then you've got to worry about getting clobbered by OL guys pulling out on the second level. It's no wonder that the safety guys always seem to be injured these days.

But it's really not the tackling that bothered me this past season, it was his inability to be in his spot in the zone or cover the back routes effectively. He was flat out horrible, where he didn't have much of a problem with it in previous seasons. And I've seen where it looks like that position is a serious premium under Sutton and his man press scheme.

That back safety is asked to cover a lot of ground and if our front seven isn't pressuring the QB, that safety is basically screwed with any type of accurate QB. It's a lot to ask, and as such, the position in this scheme is going to require a guy who not only has good ball skills, but the hyper athleticism to be able to react to either side of the back field quickly. Either that or the guy has to have Luke Kuechly level football instincts to go along with very good speed (as Kuechly has at the ILB spot).

I just don't know. I don't necessarily see anybody in the draft like that. I love Zimmerman's instincts, but I don't know about his speed at the next level for this system.

Personally, we had all better hope that Commings turns it on this off-season. He's got the speed required, and I liked what I saw from him at Georgia in terms of tackling and ball skills. He's got a thick build as well. If he makes the necessary strides, we've already got our man. If he doesn't, I think we're basically ****ed again.

aturnis 01-14-2014 07:09 PM

Kendrick Lewis WATCHED Andrew Luck pick up a fumble and score a touchdown. He literally did not attempt to take him.

When he's unemployed, I will dance.

Mav 01-16-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 10370478)
Kendrick Lewis WATCHED Andrew Luck pick up a fumble and score a touchdown. He literally did not attempt to take him.

When he's unemployed, I will dance.

You won't miss the tackle by getting run over and holding on for dear life that Lewis patented?

Saccopoo 01-16-2014 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 10373194)
You won't miss the tackle by getting run over and holding on for dear life that Lewis patented?

Like I said, they better pray to the gods of football that Sanders Commings gets it this off-season. Otherwise, they/we are going to be in for more of the same, although I think Abdullah made significant strides towards the end of the season after taking a year off.

RunKC 01-16-2014 10:24 PM

1. Calvin Pryor S Louisville
3. Jared Abbrederis WR Wisconsin

My God I would JIMP if that happened.

BryanBusby 01-18-2014 02:24 AM

Calvin Pryor in the first round would be a dumbass pick.

Sounds like something Andy would do.

OldSchool 01-18-2014 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 10376332)
Calvin Pryor in the first round would be a dumbass pick.

Sounds like something Andy would do.

Imo, none of the safeties are worth a round 1 pick, Haha is an overrated second round prospect as well.

Saccopoo 01-26-2014 06:45 PM

Updated to reflect Chiefs needs after the Shrine game and Senior Bowl.

aturnis 01-26-2014 07:21 PM

I like this draft. I'm an Iowa fan, so I'm familiar with Hageman. Big and fast for sure. Violent. I'm assuming you'd line him up at DE?

Hope the Ravens don't take him. Then again, they're just as likely to go WR.

Saccopoo 01-26-2014 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 10394899)
I like this draft. I'm an Iowa fan, so I'm familiar with Hageman. Big and fast for sure. Violent. I'm assuming you'd line him up at DE?
Hope the Ravens don't take him. Then again, they're just as likely to go WR.

http://blogs.studentlife.utoronto.ca...nteastwood.gif

Hoover 01-26-2014 11:03 PM

Yeah, I'd be pleased with a draft like this.

While everyone and their brother think that the Chiefs are going to sign a FA WR, I think that would be a waste considering that there is so much WR talent in this draft. We need to use our FA budget to fix the FS spot and that probably it.

aturnis 01-27-2014 12:51 AM

I agree. If we pulled in a guy like Hageman, he could really help to make Tamba effective enough that his replacement can wait.

RunKC 01-27-2014 03:12 PM

I'm all for beefing up the front 7, but I think that Tuitt fits better. Love his athleticism and pass rush ability

Saccopoo 03-01-2014 10:48 PM

Updated to reflect Combine results.

RunKC 03-01-2014 11:03 PM

Pretty good. Don't see a 5th round pick?

Saccopoo 03-01-2014 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 10461750)
Pretty good. Don't see a 5th round pick?

I forgot to paste in my 5th rounder, which is Brent Urban of Virginia. It's up now.

OldSchool 03-01-2014 11:19 PM

Can't complain with that draft really, though I don't like Richardson as much as some of you guys do. Not too sure that Urban makes it to the 5th for us also.

Easy 6 03-01-2014 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 10395534)
Yeah, I'd be pleased with a draft like this.

While everyone and their brother think that the Chiefs are going to sign a FA WR, I think that would be a waste considering that there is so much WR talent in this draft. We need to use our FA budget to fix the FS spot and that probably it.

What you, and apparently others, seem to not be considering... is that rookie WR's almost NEVER produce a big impact their rookie year, there are just too many intricacies at the position for most rookies to pick up right away.

Those of us wanting an upgrade in free agency, within reason, are trying to skip that long process because we're in WIN NOW mode... we don't have time to groom the next big thing on the fly.

Saccopoo 03-01-2014 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10461788)
What you, and apparently others, seem to not be considering... is that rookie WR's almost NEVER produce a big impact their rookie year, there are just too many intricacies at the position for most rookies to pick up right away.

Those of us wanting an upgrade in free agency, within reason, are trying to skip that long process because we're in WIN NOW mode... we don't have time to groom the next big thing on the fly.

They kind of did that already with the additions of Avery and Jenkins last season.

However, a player of Beckham's skill set and physical attributes isn't really going to be able to be had in the FA market.

And with Bowe and a healthy Fasano/Kelce, he's not initially needed to be "the man" right off the bat like some other teams. He'll be given a chance to grow in the offense versus having them need him to carry the passing game immediately.

Saccopoo 03-01-2014 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10461781)
Can't complain with that draft really, though I don't like Richardson as much as some of you guys do. Not too sure that Urban makes it to the 5th for us also.

I'm not as high on him as say Zach Martin or Gabe Jackson, but the Chiefs won't see either of those guys with their third rounder. Richardson is talented and would be a hell of a grab in the third, especially considering that he has the potential to be a four position player, though I think that OG is his best position.

Easy 6 03-01-2014 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 10461795)
They kind of did that already with the additions of Avery and Jenkins last season.

However, a player of Beckham's skill set and physical attributes isn't really going to be able to be had in the FA market.

And with Bowe and a healthy Fasano/Kelce, he's not initially needed to be "the man" right off the bat like some other teams. He'll be given a chance to grow in the offense versus having them need him to carry the passing game immediately.

Avery - we needed speed and game experience, reliability be damned, that's what his signing was.

Jenkins - he was more of a lets take a shot at greatness for nothing proposition, a likely longer term experiment depending on how he looked in limited duty... and he's looked pretty damn good I must say, he's a darkhorse no doubt.

But finally, what so many of us want is not only a top dog rookie to groom, but skillful VETERAN free agent to ease that transition, make sure we're not just "getting by" at that position while the rook learns the ropes.

OldSchool 03-01-2014 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10461788)

The 5 that I can really see making an impact their rookie year would be:

1. Watkins- obvious reasons. He has great tools at his disposal.

2. Odell Beckham- stick him in the slot and let him work his way into a perimeter role from there. In the meantime, I would take him over every nickle corner in the league 9 times out of 10 as a rookie.

3. Brandin Cooks- same thing as Beckham, although I believe he will be his most effective if allowed to work from the slot for his entire career. He should be able to contribute immediately as a slot WR. As for whether or not he could succeed on the outside in the long run, that remains to be seen.

4. Mike Evans- Not a polished receiver by any means but he is a naturally dominant pass catcher, that's something you can't really teach. He'll be fine as a Red Zone target early on.

5. Jordan Matthews- it's his work ethic more than his physical tool set that convinces me of this. He will struggle the most out of these 5 as a rookie but he may also end up being the best when it is all said and done. He can produce from the slot as a rookie but will need a bit more time to come into his own as an outside guy.

Of course, this also depends on what kind of offense and QB they are going to be playing with.

If you take Watkins, Beckham, Cooks, or Matthews and stick them in the slot for us they will be getting a ton of targets, 2nd only to Bowe. It also really comes down to whether or not they can gain Smith's trust as well. We all saw Smith take more chances with Bowe as the year progressed. I think you can expect that to happen more often this season as he grows even more comfortable.

I would put Lee up here if he didn't have that Junior season that he did.

milkman 03-01-2014 11:44 PM

I'm assuming Gayle is going to transition to OLB.

Overall, not a bad effort for a real dumbass.

OldSchool 03-01-2014 11:45 PM

Also, Reid never had an impact rookie WR until Desean Jackson came along. After that he seemed to be more willing to trust rookie WRs as evidenced by Maclin in the year following that. Before then, I don't think that Reid ever had a rookie WR who he allowed to start for him. (This is going off of what I heard a while ago from my friend who was an Eagles fan.)

RealSNR 03-01-2014 11:46 PM

NC State isn't the Gamecocks

milkman 03-01-2014 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10461820)
Also, Reid never had an impact rookie WR until Desean Jackson came along. After that he seemed to be more willing to trust rookie WRs as evidenced by Maclin in the year following that. Before then, I don't think that Reid ever had a rookie WR who he allowed to start for him. (This is going off of what I heard a while ago from my friend who was an Eagles fan.)

Don't think he had any rookie receivers who were worth a damn until Jackson.

Saccopoo 03-02-2014 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10461823)
NC State isn't the Gamecocks

Yep. Wolfpack. Have no idea why I put that down and thanks for catching it. Fixing it now.

spanky 52 03-02-2014 06:58 AM

Not bad Sacc. Hope Beckham is there when we pick.

RealSNR 03-02-2014 03:15 PM

I also love the Urban pick. DeVito won't always be around, and Bailey and Catapano, while promising players who are valuable to the team, aren't exactly run stuffers. Urban would be one of those under-the-radar selections that goes a long way to securing and maintaining the foundation of a sound defensive line.

Saccopoo 03-02-2014 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10462787)
I also love the Urban pick. DeVito won't always be around, and Bailey and Catapano, while promising players who are valuable to the team, aren't exactly run stuffers. Urban would be one of those under-the-radar selections that goes a long way to securing and maintaining the foundation of a sound defensive line.

I agree. I think he would have been receiving a lot more of the same type of press that Hageman and Tuitt are getting if he didn't play the majority of the 2013 season on a bad wheel which actually forced him out of a handful of games.

He's a pretty nice player with power and some speed. And despite being 300 lbs., he's nowhere near maxed on his frame.

Saccopoo 03-30-2014 02:54 PM

Newly modified to reflect free agency period.

planetdoc 03-30-2014 03:31 PM

nice draft.

Mr_Tomahawk 03-30-2014 09:05 PM

"Haley"

Saccopoo 04-14-2014 03:48 PM

Updated to reflect team needs with less than a month to go before the actual Draft.

Direckshun 04-14-2014 03:59 PM

I don't like Van Noy that early, and I don't like Cyril Richardson at all.

Sfeihc 04-14-2014 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10562545)

In my research of Richardson I thought he was massive but lacked technique. He would just ram into defenders time and again. It was easy to decide between Dozier and him.

Direckshun 04-14-2014 04:09 PM

He played in a system that faced minimal pressure too.

Just don't like him at all.

Saccopoo 04-14-2014 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10562545)

You may not, but I'm pretty sure a team like the Chargers do. They'll give him serious consideration with their #25 pick. Denver will as well with the #31.

Considering his versatility, big time production on impact plays and instincts, I think Van Noy is a very solid first round selection.

And I love Richardson, especially at guard. The guy is powerful and has very good hands and feet. You're talking about a guy who was a two-time All-American including first team on every single recognized All-American list this past season. Two time first team All-Conference. Jim Parker Award winner.

Anchored a line that led the nation in total yards, scoring and rushing.

89 knockdowns in 2013.

Richardson literally was one of the best offensive line players in college in 2013. I'd rank him third to Gabe Jackson and S'ua-Filo in terms of guard prospects.

He was starter at left guard in 2013 and 2012 (where he earned first team All-Conference and second team All-America honors). Starter at left tackle as a sophomore.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MLujH-LdyrU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't see how it's possible not to like Richardson, especially if he's there in the third round as he's being projected.

Direckshun 04-14-2014 05:09 PM

Because you've seen him get his shit pushed in all offseason.

Mr_Tomahawk 04-14-2014 06:27 PM

Replace your first pick with Kony Ealy and you've got yourself a winner.

Saccopoo 04-14-2014 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10562636)
Because you've seen him get his shit pushed in all offseason.

The guy at the Senior Bowl wasn't the same guy during his college career, especially this past season where he was wrecking dudes every game.

I loathe the Senior Bowl and what it represents to the casual fan. Nothing gets them more pumped than hearing about defensive linemen kicking the shit out of the offensive line guys in the drills. Happens every single year. (Ryan Sims anyone?)

Richardson gained some weight post season and didn't look good from the Senior Bowl through the Combine. If that means that he drops to the Chiefs in the third, then all the better. But he's not the slack ass you want him to be. This guy kicked just about everybody's ass he went up against for nearly his whole college career. He's not a one year wonder or post-season All Star game hero.

Now, I can understand your concerns about the offensive scheme at Baylor affecting some of this, but Baylor ran a shit ton behind Richardson and he was solid in pass protection as well.

You may not like him in the same way that I don't like David Yankey (not strong at the point of attack and needs to be moving constantly to be truly effective), but you can't say that either would be an outstanding value in the third round.

milkman 04-16-2014 11:21 AM

I can't say I don't like this most recent update, which is disappointing.

RealSNR 04-16-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 10562803)
The guy at the Senior Bowl wasn't the same guy during his college career, especially this past season where he was wrecking dudes every game.

I loathe the Senior Bowl and what it represents to the casual fan. Nothing gets them more pumped than hearing about defensive linemen kicking the shit out of the offensive line guys in the drills. Happens every single year. (Ryan Sims anyone?)

Richardson gained some weight post season and didn't look good from the Senior Bowl through the Combine. If that means that he drops to the Chiefs in the third, then all the better. But he's not the slack ass you want him to be. This guy kicked just about everybody's ass he went up against for nearly his whole college career. He's not a one year wonder or post-season All Star game hero.

Now, I can understand your concerns about the offensive scheme at Baylor affecting some of this, but Baylor ran a shit ton behind Richardson and he was solid in pass protection as well.

You may not like him in the same way that I don't like David Yankey (not strong at the point of attack and needs to be moving constantly to be truly effective), but you can't say that either would be an outstanding value in the third round.

Does it work the same way in reverse? Eric fisher kicked the shit out of his opponents at the senior bowl, which was the event that cemented his status as a first round pick.