ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs PFF, week 3 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276507)

ThaVirus 09-21-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 10004073)
That's the definition of an illegal chop block. Defender already engaged with another blocker and hit below the waist by a second blocker.

Yep. That's my understanding of the rules anyway. Perhaps they've changed..

RINGLEADER 09-21-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10004308)
The other thing to note is that they seem to run up the middle through the first 3 quarters, but when they decide to run the ball to eat up clock, they run left, behind Albert.

So true. Drives me crazy during the games and the facts underscore what you're saying.

During the last two games Jamaal Charles has the following in the first three quarters of both games (six quarters total):

31 Carries – 97 yards – 1 TD – 3.13 ypc

During the fourth quarter of the last two games (two quarters total), he has the following:

21 Carries – 127 yards – 1 TD – 6.05 ypc

CoMoChief 09-21-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10004298)
He plays too high, he doesn't drop-n-push, and he doesn't use his natural leg strength worth a $3it because of bad leverage.

This will have to be coached out of him...

Well and a lot of it is he's not used to playing on the right side.

He's used to planting a certain way, his muscles are used to being used a certain way, so naturally he's going to be much stronger playing as a LT.

It's just like dribbling a basketball. If you're right handed, dribbling with your left hand won't be as fluid, it won't feel natural, and you're not going to be as good as a ball handler coming down the lane.

Same concept with blocking. You need to plant your feet/legs for stability and leverage and you're naturally going to lean on your stronger plant foot for better leverage. Right now Fisher isn't playing like that. You can tell when he's just getting blasted from the snap falling down on his ass. He's not balanced and he's playing with no leverage at all compared to his opponent.

If it were up to me. I'd say **** whatever Albert has to say and I'd move him to RT and place Fisher at LT just to see if there's any improvement in the Oline as a whole, or if Albert is able to handle going to the RT spot better than Fisher is able to. I know people on this board hate that idea...but this Oline isn't going to do much for this offense unless Fisher players better. Our interior Oline is already shaky as it is. Albert is really our only strong point on our Oline. They're not terrible....but they're still very young and need much improvement IMO.

ThaVirus 09-21-2013 10:02 AM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...as-city-chiefs

Eric Fisher struggling out of gate for Kansas City Chiefs

By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League Editor
Published: Sept. 20, 2013 at 10:25 a.m. Updated: Sept. 21, 2013 at 09:05 a.m.

The No. 1 overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft has struggled badly in plain sight. And no one has taken notice.

There are a lot of terrific, surprising stories surrounding the 3-0 start by the Kansas City Chiefs. Eric Fisher's play has provided one early reason for concern.

Fisher, playing right tackle, was called for holding twice during the Chiefs' 26-16 win over the Philadelphia Eagles on "Thursday Night Football." He appeared to give up at least two sacks. Pro Football Focus had him down for five total pressures, including a few plays where Eagles defensive lineman Fletcher Cox almost instantly beat him off the line of scrimmage. We noticed the Chiefs sliding their protection toward Fisher's side to help.

Mitigating factors help explain Fisher's struggles. He's playing a new position, after lining up at left tackle in college. Central Michigan to the NFL has been a big step. And, well, he's a rookie.

The Chiefs still have to be concerned. Fisher's struggles date to training camp and the preseason, when he uniformly received shaky reviews from onlookers in practice and games. PFF's ratings system is hardly perfect, but it can be an effective tool to evaluate play. Fisher ranked 144 out of 157 offensive tackles in PFF's preseason rankings, and he's 66th out of 68 in the regular season.

It's not just that Fisher has experienced some rookie struggles. He's struggled to compete at the pro level. If he was taken later in the draft, he would have been benched by now.

High picks at offensive lineman are supposed to be safer than other positions, but Fisher and the No. 2 overall pick, Jacksonville Jaguars tackle Luke Joeckel, have gotten off to rough starts. (Joeckel's struggles have been less dramatic.) The two picks faced off in Week 1, and no one seemed to notice.

It's a story that hasn't gotten a lot of traction in Kansas City, where the focus has been on the position. A simple Google news search reveals Fisher barely has been written about since the season started.

That's a rare luxury for a No. 1 overall pick to have. His position, team and the Chiefs' success has shielded him from the spotlight. Perhaps he'll take advantage and improve slowly as the season wears on. Perhaps the Chiefs will bench him.

If not, the Chiefs' biggest offseason addition might turn into a serious liability for a team with playoff aspirations.

Halfcan 09-21-2013 10:07 AM

So there are 32 QBs better than Alex who is 3-0 with no INTs and lead our team in rushing last week?

Wow he does suck-lol

Halfcan 09-21-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 10004346)

He's used to planting a certain way, his muscles are used to being used a certain way, so naturally he's going to be much stronger playing as a LT.

It's just like dribbling a basketball. If you're right handed, dribbling with your left hand won't be as fluid, it won't feel natural, and you're not going to be as good as a ball handler coming down the lane.

Same concept with blocking. You need to plant your feet/legs for stability and leverage and you're naturally going to lean on your stronger plant foot for better leverage. Right now Fisher isn't playing like that. You can tell when he's just getting blasted from the snap falling down on his ass. He's not balanced and he's playing with no leverage at all compared to his opponent.

If it were up to me. I'd say **** whatever Albert has to say and I'd move him to RT and place Fisher at LT just to see if there's any improvement in the Oline as a whole, or if Albert is able to handle going to the RT spot better than Fisher is able to. I know people on this board hate that idea...but this Oline isn't going to do much for this offense unless Fisher players better. Our interior Oline is already shaky as it is. Albert is really our only strong point on our Oline. They're not terrible....but they're still very young and need much improvement IMO.

Albert has been nearly as bad as Fisher-so not sure it would help to move them unless it is to another team-lol :p

TEX 09-21-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

You're exactly right about Fisher playing on the opposite side than what he's used to.

Bruce Mathews, arguuably the best O-Lineman to ever play the game, said he felt Fisher and Joekel would both struggle their first year even more so if they were made to switch sides. He said he felt that Joekel might be better suited at RT after it's all said and done, but said that Fisher had all the tools to excell at either RT or LT once when he settled in. Said Fisher had a lot of upside.

When asked about his personal experience, he said that he hated being moved around the O-Line and when he was, the learning started from square 1. He said for rookies playing a new position, it's two-fold becasue they're getting used to the speed of the game AND they have to deal with opposite blocking techniques. He said he remembers his rookie year and how much he struggled (once gave up 5 sacks in one game to Dallas) and he was playing his normal position. He would have hated to have been made to switch positions right from the beginning.

I'm inclined to listen to Bruce Mathews when it comes to his opinions on O-Lineman. To all who are already screaming,"BUST, " Give Fish time...

Rausch 09-21-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Left or right technique is ****ing technique.

That's no excuse.

He's not hand fighting and losing the battle. It's like when the ball is snapped he forgets everything he's been learned and his brain just locks up.

Quote:

If you can't dribble the ball with both hands you have no business being in the NBA...

Quote:

You need to plant your feet/legs for stability and leverage and you're naturally going to lean on your stronger plant foot for better leverage. Right now Fisher isn't playing like that. You can tell when he's just getting blasted from the snap falling down on his ass. He's not balanced and he's playing with no leverage at all compared to his opponent.

EXACTLY.

This isn't about sides it's about basic technique.

You shuffle, drop, push. You have to be able to anticipate the rusher and know exactly when to shuffle, when to drop your level, when to set and push.

He just has no natural instinct for it.

Fish isn't beaten BLOCKING he's beaten right off the snap and he's pushed back from there. There's no reason to rush outside when mediocre rushers can use leverage and push him into the QB.

Quote:

If it were up to me. I'd say **** whatever Albert has to say and I'd move him to RT and place Fisher at LT just to see if there's any improvement in the Oline as a whole, or if Albert is able to handle going to the RT spot better than Fisher is able to.

If it were up to me I'd have taken a value-face-raping to trade down (like the Raiders) and taken Warmack and used the best available scrub to continue sucking at RT....

Halfcan 09-21-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COchief (Post 10003638)
Keep up or GTFO son, two provable lies (out of hundreds) right above you waiting. Or check the massive drama thread with Dane in the Spring if you want to see what I'm talking about.

Dane has a new friend request pending...

Dane is accepting friend request now?? How do I sign up-lol

RINGLEADER 09-21-2013 10:27 AM

Watched the game with an eye towards Fisher:

2 Really good plays (all during the final time-killing drive)
20 OK plays where he at least didn't screw things up completely
11 bad plays where he contributed to the cluster****
7 atrocious plays where he was solely responsible
All the other plays he was either not involved in where the play was going or just didn't factor into anything

On 18 plays he had help from Asamoah to double team the outside rusher

He has terrible balance and ends up on the ground more often than not

On a couple plays that went away from him where he was engaging NOBODY he ended up on the ground (!?)

Most of the QB pressure he gave up came from him being beat 4-5 times with very simple swim moves to the inside.

Rausch 09-21-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 10004403)
He has terrible balance and ends up on the ground more often than not. On a couple plays that went away from him where he was engaging NOBODY he ended up on the ground. (!?)

Most of the QB pressure he gave up came from him being beat 4-5 times with very simple swim moves to the inside.

Most were bull-rush-SWIM and wins for the pass rusher.

You want to beat Fish?

Bull rush hard then swat/swim and you're in...

Halfcan 09-21-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10004411)
Most were bull-rush-SWIM and wins for the pass rusher.

You want to beat Fish?

Bull rush hard then swat/swim and you're in...

Or do a head fake-lol Just act like you are going one way and then go another direction. Works every time. :p

Rausch 09-21-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 10004446)
Or do a head fake-lol Just act like you are going one way and then go another direction. Works every time. :p

His ****ing movement is $#it.

That's basic.

He ran good drills and that's all well and good but at this level he's awkward and plays way too high.

milkman 09-21-2013 11:23 AM

I think you are dismissing the real difficulty of switching sides, Rausch.

Technique is technique, as you say.
However, you are reversing everything.

It's like trying to write words backwords.
You have to think about it, and it slows you down from the start.

Rausch 09-21-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10004585)

The only way we can truly argue this is to have a no-life-Grendel-Morlock like Gochiefs provide gifs.

My argument is not that he isn't big or strong it's that he doesn't use it EVEN THE IN THE MOST BASIC FOOTBALL SENSE.

He doesn't lower his level when he comes in contact with a rusher. This is my first argument.

His legs move slower than the rusher (he doesn't shuffle/keep up) off the line and his natural freakish ability to block are negated and he can be (and constantly is) pushed back.

As you retreat every step (pass blocking) you push and punch and hand fight on the pass rusher at an angle that's advantageous to YOU AS A BLOCKER (doing all you can to keep him off balance) and disadvantageous to HIM as a rusher nearly every step.

He's the exact opposite as Hudson. Hudson uses leverage to blow people out of the play by finding where/how to hit them.

Fish has the talent and strength to blow people up but gets face-raped on leverage...

Titty Meat 09-21-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 10002769)
It does when you mindlessly regurgitate it, yes. For instance, mindlessly regurgitating PFF tells you that Dontari Poe was actually a detriment as a pass-rusher against Dallas. He honestly got a pass-rush rating of -.4 last week. On the season he's only at a .9 total. Mike DeVito has been much better as a pass-rusher according to PFF.

It's interesting to watch in conjuction with the games, though. You just have to keep an eye out for stuff that just doesn't make much sense.

I forget the grade they gave Joeckel week 1 but it was a joke dude got his ass handed to him.

Another great example: Sean Smith who was rated pretty low yet was the best free agent corner on the market. The Niners and Packers tried to sign dude yet we get him and he's been our best corner.

aturnis 09-21-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10004585)

Exactly. Try kicking a FG right footed, then another left footed, I think you'll get it.

Hell there a reason skateboarders, snowboarders, and surfers call their non natural stance "goofy". And a reason doing giddy tricks adds another level of difficulty.

loochy 09-21-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 10004359)
So there are 32 QBs better than Alex who is 3-0 with no INTs and lead our team in rushing last week?

Wow he does suck-lol

Anyone can get laid when they go after fat hogs.

Dinny Bossa Nova 09-21-2013 05:39 PM

Is PFF a valuable tool for fantasy football? I have seen many posts saying that NFL teams see value in # of snaps played or some such, but discount the rest. Would PFF's other info be valuable to FFL gurus?

Dinny

SAUTO 09-21-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinny Blues (Post 10005448)
Is PFF a valuable tool for fantasy football? I have seen many posts saying that NFL teams see value in # of snaps played or some such, but discount the rest. Would PFF's other info be valuable to FFL gurus?

Dinny

not imo
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefsFanatic 09-21-2013 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 10004073)
That's the definition of an illegal chop block. Defender already engaged with another blocker and hit below the waist by a second blocker. I'm sorry that Williams was injured and the refs missed the call, but don't be stupid.

I saw them review the play in question on one of the NFL studio shows on ESPN or maybe NFL Network, and they were discussing it as a legal block. They didn't say specifically, but I got the impression that because the action was moving away, that's what made it legal. The former player said that the league was going to review the rule next year, but seemed against it being changed. They said that when it was brought up before, too many coaches and players said it would have a very negative impact on teams ability to run the ball.