ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Why Can't I Grill A Decent Steak? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276568)

Rasputin 09-23-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10010780)
I've never marinated a steak.

Why would you? I want that beef flavor.

Pssst BCD...
Spoiler!

Don't listen to them Vail you will have the perfect steak if you soak your steak over night in some Anti-Freeze you can trust me :D

vailpass 09-23-2013 09:39 AM

:shake:
Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 10010803)
Pssst BCD...
Spoiler!

Don't listen to them Vail you will have the perfect steak if you soak your steak over night in some Anti-Freeze you can trust me :D

Should I go with Prestone?

Rasputin 09-23-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10010806)

Sure can't go wrong with Prestone.

Fire Me Boy! 09-23-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10010806)

50/50 premixed is best.

vailpass 09-23-2013 09:42 AM

Thanks for the marinade advice guys. I'll wait till winter and give it a try.

DJ's left nut 09-23-2013 09:43 AM

As I've read along I see some folks put oil on their grates - really?

When I was in college we'd dick around with oil. Either fresh garlic and olive oil directly on the steak or brushing the grates with oil before putting the meat on.

In the end, I've decided it's just a nice little source of flareups and very little else. 'It gets the grates hot' - huh? There's no type or amount of oil you can put on the grates to get them any hotter than the fire's going to get them already, a hot fire will burn off that oil in a snap. A hot fire does that work for you. 'It releases the steak' again - huh? WTF kind of steaks are you cooking that won't come off a grill?

About the only utility I can find for the oil would be that it probably does help loosen up some of the crud on the grate so it can help clean it. I'll buy that. But I just can't see any other use for oil when grilling steaks.

vailpass 09-23-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 10010820)
As I've read along I see some folks put oil on their grates - really?

When I was in college we'd dick around with oil. Either fresh garlic and olive oil directly on the steak or brushing the grates with oil before putting the meat on.

In the end, I've decided it's just a nice little source of flareups and very little else. 'It gets the grates hot' - huh? There's no type or amount of oil you can put on the grates to get them any hotter than the fire's going to get them already, a hot fire will burn off that oil in a snap. A hot fire does that work for you. 'It releases the steak' again - huh? WTF kind of steaks are you cooking that won't come off a grill?

About the only utility I can find for the oil would be that it probably does help loosen up some of the crud on the grate so it can help clean it. I'll buy that. But I just can't see any other use for oil when grilling steaks.

Yeah nothing sticks to my grates, not sure I need oil. I Pam for chicken but the non stick generally works.

DJ's left nut 09-23-2013 09:47 AM

A 'doneness' tip that I think I've mentioned around here before:

If you make an 'okay' sign by lightly touching your pointer finger to the tip of your thumb, the 'firmness' in that fleshy area at the base of your thumb is about how firm a medium-rare steak will be.

If you're looking for medium, press your middle finger to your thumb and touch the fleshy area at the base of the thumb; same story - that's about as firm as a medium steak will be. If you're looking for anything above that - **** you. Just drop it in the coals and walk away.

This is by no means a foolproof method, but if you're cooking over an inconsistent fire or don't have a good instant read handy, this will do in a pinch. Don't 'press' the fingers together, just touch the ends.

Hoover 09-23-2013 09:48 AM

My grates are well seasoned. I'd never lube them up.

I do sprinkle a little rub on the grates right before I throw down the meat.

luv 09-23-2013 09:49 AM

Haven't read the whole thread. I don't know about actual cook times and all that, but I have a friend that puts cracked pepper, garlic, and a little spicy montreal steak seasoning on. He usually refrigerates that for 20 minutes before throwing them on the grill.

vailpass 09-23-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 10010835)
Haven't read the whole thread. I don't know about actual cook times and all that, but I have a friend that puts cracked pepper, garlic, and a little spicy montreal steak seasoning on. He usually refrigerates that for 20 minutes before throwing them on the grill.

Thanks Luv!

Dayze 09-23-2013 10:02 AM

be sure to slather it with Ketchup before putting it on the grill.
or don't; but be sure to serve it with ketchup.

vailpass 09-23-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10010866)

Oh for sure. But here in AZ ketchup= hot sauce.
Nothing but the best Clark.

Coogs 09-23-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10010695)
Vail, there is some terrible advice in this thread. Don't pay attention to half of it. Look for the posters whose opinions on food have been proven for you and ignore the rest.

I don't know if mine was terrible or not, but it works for me. Color of the moisture on the top of the steak after the flip. Find what you like and go with that color. For me it is just as it starts to get clear. No longer. Works for any thickness of steak that way.

vailpass 09-23-2013 10:05 AM

On a real note though I sent the girl for steaks. She came back with bacon wrapped shrimp as well.
Reward has been earned.

vailpass 09-23-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 10010875)
I don't know if mine was terrible or not, but it works for me. Color of the moisture on the top of the steak after the flip. Find what you like and go with that color. For me it is just as it starts to get clear. No longer. Works for any thickness of steak that way.

I liked that tip.

Dayze 09-23-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10010872)
Oh for sure. But here in AZ ketchup= hot sauce.
Nothing but the best Clark.

is that 'real' tomato ketchup Eddie?
LMAO

Dayze 09-23-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10010876)
On a real note though I sent the girl for steaks. She came back with bacon wrapped shrimp as well.
Reward has been earned.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ick2-C-RSb.gif

vailpass 09-23-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10010879)
is that 'real' tomato ketchup Eddie?
LMAO

Boom!
Don't know why they call it hamburger helper, does just fine on it's own.

trndobrd 09-23-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10010408)
I haven't been able to hit the perfect medium rare. They aren't screwed up but I want perfect.

Purchase and use a good meat thermometer.

I like to put a little salt, pepper and dash of lowry's on KC strips that are just below room temp. Get the coals nice and glowing red hot, then hit each side for about 2 minutes with the lid up. Then turn again and rotate 90degrees and give it another 4 minutes with the lid down. At that point, there should be red juice showing and I check (only once) the temp, flip the steak over one last time (rotate 90degrees), close the lid and give it about one minute, plus one minute for every five degrees away from 145 center temp. Take off the steaks, give them at least 5 minutes to rest, and enjoy a perfect, juicy, medium-rare steak with beautiful cross-hatched grill marks.

vailpass 09-23-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10010881)

Bill Murray was balls. Blues Traveler rocked as Amish.

vailpass 09-23-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trndobrd (Post 10010884)

I like to put a little salt, pepper and dash of lowry's on KC strips that are just below room temp. Get the coals nice and glowing red hot, then hit each side for about 2 minutes with the lid up. Then turn again and rotate 90degrees and give it another 4 minutes with the lid down. At that point, there should be red juice showing and I check (only once) the temp, flip the steak over one last time (rotate 90degrees), close the lid and give it about one minute, plus one minute for every five degrees away from 145 center temp. Take off the steaks, give them at least 5 minutes to rest, and enjoy a perfect, juicy, medium-rare steak with beautiful cross-hatched grill marks.

Thanks man. I do have a good corded thermo but I want to be able to do it by eye.

saphojunkie 09-23-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10010273)
Grilled steaks last night, they came out ok but not great. Good cuts of meat but they weren't juicy like a restaurant. I only turned them once, used high heat. I like them medium rate.
I have 2 grills, gas and infra red, just can't seem to get the perfect streak.
Anyone have any tips?

Watch this and thank me later.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/t4aI_O8kcN8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tooge 09-23-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 10010289)
Let them sit out for 20min before grilling. Let them sit 5-10 before eating.

A 1 inch thick ribeye I'll cook about 7 minutes per side for medium

this. marinate is a key, room temp before grilling it, and letting it rest lets the moisture return to the muscle tissue so it doesn't end up all over the plate.

Most restaurants baste their steak with melted butter as it cooks btw. I don't do it routinely, but it does make a difference

Frosty 09-23-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 10010735)
Also - pat dry before setting on the grate. This is an often overlooked step that makes a huge difference in the crust you're able to get on the outside of the steak.

To get a good crust, I like to dry the steaks in the fridge for a few days. I take the steaks out of the wrapper when we get them and put them uncovered on racks in the fridge for 3-4 days (for thick steaks - 1-2 days for thin cut). It slightly drys the outside, which makes a great crust. The drier outside also seems to seal in the juices in the middle.

Admittedly, I do this mostly for pan frying since I don't grill steaks that often. Drying/aging the steaks saves you from trying to fry a steak in a puddle of water.

tooge 09-23-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10010328)
Fresh garlic or powder? I don't do the charcoal thing. I'm too damn lazy and don't want to deal with the mess.

cut a clove of garlic in half. rub cut half on steak to get the garlic oils onto the steak. then just salt and pepper. When grilling, turn it at 45 degrees to the steakhouse grill marks, which add more area of carmelization.

vailpass 09-23-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 10010899)
cut a clove of garlic in half. rub cut half on steak to get the garlic oils onto the steak. then just salt and pepper. When grilling, turn it at 45 degrees to the steakhouse grill marks, which add more area of carmelization.

Thanks man.

Frosty 09-23-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 10010899)

There used to be a steak house here that would cut slits in the side of the steaks before cooking and they would slide slivers of garlic cloves into the slits and then cook. The steaks were amazing.

R8RFAN 09-23-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 10010894)
To get a good crust, I like to dry the steaks in the fridge for a few days. I take the steaks out of the wrapper when we get them and put them uncovered on racks in the fridge for 3-4 days (for thick steaks - 1-2 days for thin cut). It slightly drys the outside, which makes a great crust. The drier outside also seems to seal in the juices in the middle.

Admittedly, I do this mostly for pan frying since I don't grill steaks that often. Drying/aging the steaks saves you from trying to fry a steak in a puddle of water.

I can cook a steak in an iron skillet better than most people can cook on a grill anyway

trndobrd 09-23-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10010891)
Thanks man. I do have a good corded thermo but I want to be able to do it by eye.

After a couple times with the thermometer, you'll get a good feel for how long it should take and you won't have to use it every time. Also, it should be 135 not 145 for medium rare.

Dayze 09-23-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 10010917)
I can cook a steak in an iron skillet better than most people can cook on a grill anyway

yeah, but can you juggle?.....I think not.

R8RFAN 09-23-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10010925)

Can't juggle

manchambo 09-23-2013 10:25 AM

I got a sous vide machine not too long ago. It cooks steaks perfectly. You set the water to the desired temperature, stick them in there for 45 minutes, then sear them on a super-hot grill or pan. On Saturday I put them in with some garlic, olive oil and basil in the sous vide bag. Beautiful.

R8RFAN 09-23-2013 10:26 AM

45 mins? Thats a pot roast

Frosty 09-23-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10010925)

Hah - I can.

Dayze 09-23-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 10010935)
Hah - I can.

NERD!!!!!!!!

:D

Frosty 09-23-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10010941)
NERD!!!!!!!!

Guilty as charged

DJ's left nut 09-23-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trndobrd (Post 10010922)
After a couple times with the thermometer, you'll get a good feel for how long it should take and you won't have to use it every time. Also, it should be 135 not 145 for medium rare.

Too high.

If you take it off at 135, it'll climb to 140 pretty easily.

Even 130 is a little too high, IMO.

USDA temps and Chef temps are two very different animals. USDA temps will give you a shoe. Look up a good chef temp guide and use those figures instead.

Like I said - I generally recommend taking off at 125 for steaks and even lower for larger cuts because they'll continue cooking a little longer.

R8RFAN 09-23-2013 10:39 AM

Stick a thermometer in a steak and you are helping make that steak tougher than it should be... Press that steak with your index finger to test. If you touch it and it bounces back quick it is rare, the steak will get harder the more it is cooked.

sedated 09-23-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

I prefer mine in cast iron too. Sear every side in bit of bacon fat, then throw it in the oven to finish. Makes a crust you won't soon forget.

R8RFAN 09-23-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 10010988)
I prefer mine in cast iron too. Sear every side in bit of bacon fat, then throw it in the oven to finish. Makes a crust you won't soon forget.

Most people would rather look cool and manly with the fire and the grill :D Don't mess it up for these guys.

vailpass 09-23-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 10011000)
Most people would rather look cool and manly with the fire and the grill :D Don't mess it up for these guys.

It's not that. I spend almost all my time outside, never touch the stove. Watch football on the patio, grill is my cooker.

Rausch 09-23-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 10011000)

Where's that news gif when we need it?...

BigMeatballDave 09-23-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Doubtful. You cannot replicate the flavor of cooking over charcoal/wood.

R8RFAN 09-23-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10011005)
It's not that. I spend almost all my time outside, never touch the stove.

There are so many variations in temps on a charcoal or wood fired grill, Iron skillet is consistent every time. Thats just my .02

Nothing pisses me off more than a high dollar quality piece of meat destroyed on a grill by someone who sucks at grilling.

3 ingredients

Kosher Salt (put on the steak when it is sitting out to get to room temp)
Fresh Cracked Pepper ( while it's cooking)
Clarified butter Brushed on steak after it's finished (let sit for 5 mins)

R8RFAN 09-23-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10011010)
Doubtful. You cannot replicate the flavor of cooking over charcoal/wood.

Who said anything about trying to replicate it?

DJ's left nut 09-23-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 10011023)
There are so many variations in temps on a charcoal or wood fired grill, Iron skillet is consistent every time. Thats just my .02

Nothing pisses me off more than a high dollar quality piece of meat destroyed on a grill by someone who sucks at grilling.

3 ingredients

Learn to grill - problem solved.

And frankly, you can suck at grilling and still make a decent steak. Hell, I think good hamburgers are harder to make than a good steak.

Steak's pretty easy to get right if you have any earthly idea what you're doing.

vailpass 09-23-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 10011023)

3 ingredients

I have an infra red grill and a gas grill. Too lazy to charcoal. I'm not destroying steaks, just want to tune my cooking. My steaks are good, looking for great.

chiefzilla1501 09-23-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trndobrd (Post 10010884)

Or just finger test. Poke it with your index finger. If it smoooshes such at your finger pretty much pushes through the steak, , iit's rare. If it is tough, it's well done. Your medium rare should resist a little bit, but still be a little smooshy.

Much prefer the finger test over a thermometer. No messy clean up and helps figure out if certain areas of meat ended up cooking differently than others.

R8RFAN 09-23-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10011032)
I have an infra red grill and a gas grill. Too lazy to charcoal. I'm not destroying steaks, just want to tune my cooking. My steaks are good, looking for great.

I have an infrared grill too , I liked it alot at first but after a while it's like it has lost it's appeal to me.

oh and the key to making juicy hamburgers is as simple as adding 3-4 tablespoons of plain water to the meat and mix it in before you patty it out. 80-20 meat.. don't buy that lean shit for burgers people.

vailpass 09-23-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 10011044)
I have an infrared grill too , I liked it alot at first but after a while it's like it has lost it's appeal to me.

oh and the key to making juicy hamburgers is as simple as adding 3-4 tablespoons of plain water to the meat and mix it in before you patty it out. 80-20 meat.. don't buy that lean shit for burgers people.

I mix ground pork, onion, peppers in with my hamburgers. Frigging good.

BigMeatballDave 09-23-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 10011026)
Who said anything about trying to replicate it?

Point is, grilling is always superior to cooking in a pan.

Flavor.

vailpass 09-23-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10011061)
Point is, grilling is always superior to cooking in a pan.

Flavor.

And it feels good!

saphojunkie 09-23-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10011069)
And it feels good!

Seriously watch that video I posted. It is the only way to do it.

Science FTW.

vailpass 09-23-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 10011075)

Science FTW.

Sorry, meant to thank you for that. Going to watch it when I get back. Props.

Rausch 09-23-2013 11:26 AM

I don't know if you're actually in Colorado or high up in the rocks but that does have an impact on cooking anything.

It forces you to completely change how you grill...

saphojunkie 09-23-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10011085)
Sorry, meant to thank you for that. Going to watch it when I get back. Props.

Word. The whole episode is on youtube somewhere. Basically goes in depth about the cut, how to select it, and the science behind prepping and cooking. Alton Brown is certainly an acquired taste, and he can be annoying as shit.

But I love taking the mystery out of food. Understanding exactly why you do certain things, because it allows you to truly take control of cooking.

I've watched a bunch of stuff about baking bread and pizza dough and man I just skyrocketed in ability.

vailpass 09-23-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10011091)
I don't know if you're actually in Colorado or high up in the rocks but that does have an impact on cooking anything.

It forces you to completely change how you grill...

I'm in Arizona, and it is definitely different.

vailpass 09-23-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 10011101)
Word. The whole episode is on youtube somewhere. Basically goes in depth about the cut, how to select it, and the science behind prepping and cooking. Alton Brown is certainly an acquired taste, and he can be annoying as shit.

But I love taking the mystery out of food. Understanding exactly why you do certain things, because it allows you to truly take control of cooking.

I've watched a bunch of stuff about baking bread and pizza dough and man I just skyrocketed in ability.

Thanks much. I can do everything pretty well except steaks and want to get excellent.

Bwana 09-23-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10010866)

:eek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/cont...ad_203x152.jpg

vailpass 09-23-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 10011129)

Rausch 09-23-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10011102)
I'm in Arizona, and it is definitely different.

There's a huge element to this.

With no humidity it takes no time at all for that $3it to dry out.

Try the charcoal around coffee can full of water method.

Or you can screen in the bottom of the grill (below where to coals should go/where the grill vents) and add the charcoal there. Then throw a lasagna pan full of water above that.

vailpass 09-23-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10011143)
There's a huge element to this.

With no humidity it takes no time at all for that $3it to dry out.

Try the charcoal around coffee can full of water method.

Or you can screen in the bottom of the grill (below where to coals should go/where the grill vents) and add the charcoal there. Then throw a lasagna pan full of water above that.

Great tips, you apparently know your grill. But I'm too lazy to do the charcoal thing.

manchambo 09-23-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 10010931)
45 mins? Thats a pot roast

You don't understand sous vide at all. You can set it at 125 and leave it there all day and it will come out rare.

vailpass 09-23-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchambo (Post 10011186)
You don't understand sous vide at all. You can set it at 125 and leave it there all day and it will come out rare.

Sounds good. Does sound like a roast though.

R8RFAN 09-23-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchambo (Post 10011186)

Thats prime rib then

lcarus 09-23-2013 12:37 PM

First off, this thread has me hungry as SHIT for a steak. Secondly, I've been wanting to get more into learning how to cook lately. It's time. Since I'm a KC guy, naturally a lot of that "cooking" will be grilling meats. So don't be surprised if I come here for much needed advice quite often in the near future.

manchambo 09-23-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10011254)
Sounds good. Does sound like a roast though.

Lots of good restaurants cook their steaks this way. The temperature is perfectly controlled so it will never cook more than you want it to. And because it only gets seared, it doesn't dry out as much.

lcarus 09-23-2013 12:43 PM

So who is the best cook here on CP? And who wants to volunteer to answer all my idiotic questions on my quest to learn how to cook?

tomahawk kid 09-23-2013 12:48 PM

I actually learned to grill good steaks using T-bones.

Since you have the bone in element - they're less easy to dry out while you're learning how to grill a steak.

Also - all grills are diffferent. I've only owned two grills in my life, but both were a trial and error process to figure out what "worked".

lcarus 09-23-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomahawk kid (Post 10011418)
I actually learned to grill good steaks using T-bones.

Since you have the bone in element - they're less easy to dry out while you're learning how to grill a steak.

Also - all grills are diffferent. I've only owned two grills in my life, but both were a trial and error process to figure out what "worked".

When I get a grill, I really just want a Weber charcoal grill. That's all I've ever wanted actually. I just love charcoal grilled meats.

Pablo 09-23-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 10011075)

Science FTW.

That video sent me on a Good Eats watching spiral.

I'm confident I'm going to brine my turkey for the first time this Thanksgiving thanks to my morning marathon.

Thanks for that.

AustinChief 09-23-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10011150)
Great tips, you apparently know your grill. But I'm too lazy to do the charcoal thing.

Rausch has the best advice but if you can' take his advice, you might want to try a spray bottle to spritz the meat with to keep it from drying. The key is to NOT spritz it right away but wait until an exterior crust starts to form... which where you live could be pretty damn quick.

Cool thing about spray bottle is that you can experiment with different flavors of spray like 50% beer or Worcestershire (although don't expect it to make much real difference, the primary purpose is to just keep your steak from drying out too quickly)

Amnorix 09-23-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10010298)
Do you use any seasoning on steak? I never have but wonder if people do.

Definitely. I used to have steak straight up, but there's alot of good stuff you can use to make it even better.

Dayze 09-23-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 10011427)
That video sent me on a Good Eats watching spiral.

I'm confident I'm going to brine my turkey for the first time this Thanksgiving thanks to my morning marathon.

Thanks for that.

I own two of his Good Eats cookbooks. outstanding.

J Diddy 09-23-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 10010375)
The one thing you NEVER want to do with it is let the lid drop. Wind can take the lid off off easily if a decent storm rolls in. If the lid hits the cement, it's still useable, but it will never seal the same way. You will end up getting unwanted drafts in the thing, which can easily start fires inside and mess with what you're cooking. You can compensate to some degree for a bent lid by closing off the top vent, but it's a pain in the ass. I end up replacing them at least every two years because of a bent lid issue.

Thanks, for the heads up.

J Diddy 09-23-2013 01:44 PM

Most of the time when I do mine I just rub some sea salt and ground pepper and let it set out while the coals are warming up.

If I were to use a prepackaged steak mix the A1 Dry brand cracked peppercorn is pretty good.

ptlyon 09-23-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 10011598)
Thanks, for the heads up.

Don't be wantin any bent lids, yo

Easy 6 09-23-2013 01:56 PM

Without reading through all of this, i'll just say...

let it come to room temperature before putting it on the grill

a few bastings of butter while it cooks never hurts

get a good sear on both sides

never pierce it

let it set for 5 minutes before eating

Do that and you should always have a great steak.

DJ's left nut 09-23-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 10010375)
The one thing you NEVER want to do with it is let the lid drop. Wind can take the lid off off easily if a decent storm rolls in. If the lid hits the cement, it's still useable, but it will never seal the same way. You will end up getting unwanted drafts in the thing, which can easily start fires inside and mess with what you're cooking. You can compensate to some degree for a bent lid by closing off the top vent, but it's a pain in the ass. I end up replacing them at least every two years because of a bent lid issue.

I'd recommend never closing off the top vent under any circumstances.

Too much smoke/creosote buildup in the dome and it creates a bitter taste in the food.

If you need to control air flow, do it through the bottom vents; less air in through the bottom can make up for unwanted air flowing in through the top. But in the end, if you're cooking something so precise that an imperfect seal in the top of the kettle ruins it, you're probably just going to need to drop the money on a BGE and be done with it.

For the vast VAST majority of anything you'll ever do, a little extra air in the top won't be the end of the world by any means.