ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News RIP Paul Walker (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=279069)

R8RFAN 12-01-2013 05:50 AM

Atleast he didn't kill anyone else.

confused 12-01-2013 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rd&48ers (Post 10235727)
Atleast he didn't kill anyone else.

Maybe not directly, but him and Steve Zahn messing with that trucker on the CB radio led to a guy being put in intensive care.

R8RFAN 12-01-2013 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconFan2 (Post 10235732)
Maybe not directly, but him and Steve Zahn messing with that trucker on the CB radio led to a guy being put in intensive care.

If that's a reference to the movie it went over my head... I think I saw the first movie and thats all

confused 12-01-2013 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rd&48ers (Post 10235734)
If that's a reference to the movie it went over my head... I think I saw the first movie and thats all

Joyride actually, probably his best movie. I'll let the "HEY **** YOU I WORK WITH REAL ACTORS AT HOLLYWOOD" douchebag from a few posts back to explain the plot if need be.

BryanBusby 12-01-2013 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paniero (Post 10235453)
2 soon.

2 Furious?

Simply Red 12-01-2013 06:46 AM

RIP

Archie F. Swin 12-01-2013 07:04 AM

was his career driving?

Simply Red 12-01-2013 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin (Post 10235750)
was his career driving?

Think he tracked Porsche's as recreation.

Lzen 12-01-2013 09:17 AM

RIP Paul walker. Fast and furious movies were guilty pleasure. I know they weren't superb movies but I enjoyed them. Also recently watched joyride. While walker may not have been making grade A Movies I still thought he was a decent actor. And it sounds like he was a decent person as well.

BlackHelicopters 12-01-2013 10:15 AM

RIP

Deberg_1990 12-01-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD (Post 10235518)
It looks like they've been filming FF7 since sept....I wonder how they write this in! Time to call in Johnney Depp, Jude Law and Colin Ferrell again?

They have been filming for awhile yes. If that's the case, his scenes might already be done or most of them anyways. So sad.

Anyong Bluth 12-01-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10235929)
They have been filming for awhile yes. If that's the case, his scenes might already be done or most of them anyways. So sad.

I'd venture to guess they likely have almost all of his stuff filmed, and it will definitely be interesting to see how they are going to rework the script, because I bet he ends up perishing in the movie, and obviously not in a car accident. Even more so I wonder if any major changes to scenes that included characters, such as bad guys, that might have died in some auto related manner with be reworked to omit any on screen auto fatalities.

It's tough given. Nature of the films and the franchise- but I'm guessing that they're not going to want anyone sitting through some horrific car scene while watching Walker posthumously up there on screen.

Sure-Oz 12-01-2013 11:22 AM

I would think they would write off walker some other way than death, but who knows.

I'd think FF7 has to be the last film now.

Sure-Oz 12-01-2013 11:23 AM

I'd say his best flicks are what, the whole F&TF flicks, the skulls, running scared, joy ride, the lazarus project and ?

I've seen others listed but not sure if any are good

L.A. Chieffan 12-01-2013 11:29 AM

I met him once, he went out on a date with one of my friends. Cool guy

gosampel 12-01-2013 11:30 AM

What is sad is look at the movies to come he would have maybe earned a Oscar in , A lot of actor do rolls like he does just to get that break, He was young only 40 my wife's age, but yes he will be missed.

Tribal Warfare 12-01-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 10235996)
I'd say his best flicks are what, the whole F&TF flicks, the skulls, running scared, joy ride, the lazarus project and ?

Pleasantville, speaking of which I was talking to my Uncle and suggesting movies he might like and haven't seen. Then I listed the stars in the movie, and commented that Paul Walker was in it by describing him " You, know the blonde cop/street racer in F&TF."

****ing spooky and surreal

Deberg_1990 12-01-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 10236108)
Pleasantville

Varsity Blues

Mother****erJones 12-01-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 10235996)

Varsity blues was good. He was the QB that gets hurt

Donger 12-01-2013 12:48 PM

I thought Fast and Furious was Obama's gun-running program. I never knew until today that it was also a movie franchise.

Easy 6 12-01-2013 12:50 PM

HO LEE SHIT... the pic of the car is nuts, he had to have been doing better than 100 to do that kind of damage.

Dude thought he was in the movies...

Sure-Oz 12-01-2013 12:54 PM

Walker wasn't driving

Easy 6 12-01-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 10236144)
Walker wasn't driving

Welp, that's the second time i've been wrong about something today... one more strike and i'm out.

Sure-Oz 12-01-2013 01:03 PM

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/...rash-id-d.html the driver id'd someone post the story from link

Easy 6 12-01-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 10236174)
http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/...rash-id-d.html the driver id'd someone post the story from link

That was weird, i clicked the link, the story came up and let me read for about 10 seconds then flashed to another screen that said "page not available"

Iowanian 12-01-2013 01:30 PM

It's a tragedy but I'm told Johnny Moxon will come in the 2nd half and lead the Coyotes to state.

Pepe Silvia 12-01-2013 02:24 PM

What about his commitment to Florida State?

BigRedChief 12-01-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10236150)
Welp, that's the second time i've been wrong about something today... one more strike and i'm out.

Please pick the bronco's to win.

Easy 6 12-01-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 10236383)
Please pick the bronco's to win.

Too late, had us penciled in for the win by tuesday.

Fairplay 12-01-2013 05:16 PM

KCTV 5 just said speed may have been a factor.

Sure-Oz 12-01-2013 07:45 PM

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/1/51...-walkers-death

Quote:

The seventh installment of the Fast & Furious series may not have been entirely derailed by star Paul Walker's sudden death yesterday. Sources have apparently told The Hollywood Reporter that although production has been delayed, Universal executives and director James Wan met this morning to discuss how to proceed with the film while being respectful of Walker's death. The film was set for a release date of July 11th, but TMZ has reported that Walker was supposed to film several "key scenes" this week, and that other cast members are too distraught to return to the set any time soon. The Hollywood Reporter's sources also say that Walker and others were scheduled to shoot more scenes, though they say that a large part of the film had already been shot.

Wan and others, sources say, will be discussing the prospect of rewrites to help save the film. Some of these, obviously, would involve writing Walker out of missing scenes, but filmmakers will also have to deal with the fact that the circumstance of his death — a car crash — makes the film's subject matter much more sensitive. Even if Fast 7 is recovered, the franchise's future prospects look grim right now. The series has kept going over six installments because of its increasingly elaborate driving stunts and a core cast of characters including Vin Diesel and Walker himself (who has appeared in all but one movie), and Walker's absence would leave a glaring hole in any attempt at a Fast 8.

Source The Hollywood Reporter

texaschiefsfan 12-01-2013 07:46 PM

In other news, the Kansas City Chiefs crashed and burned today.

Sure-Oz 12-02-2013 10:44 AM

Police are looking into the possible cause being drag racing and another car involved possibly. Maybe a car pulled out in front of the porsche. Also a steering fluid leak has been rumored.

Fairplay 12-02-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 10243030)
Police are looking into the possible cause being drag racing and another car involved possibly. Maybe a car pulled out in front of the porsche. Also a steering fluid leak has been rumored.

Sounds like they are trying to blame the car for the cause of the crash.

Good luck proving that.

mikeyis4dcats. 12-02-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 10243253)
Sounds like they are trying to blame the car for the cause of the crash.

Good luck proving that.

it would be hard, but if there was a large fluid trail and unswerving skid marks that would certainly lend to that theory.

LoneWolf 12-02-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 10236258)
It's a tragedy but I'm told Johnny Moxon will come in the 2nd half and lead the Coyotes to state.

Was Billy Bob driving and passed out? They probably should have scanned his cat to make sure he was OK to drive.

Tombstone RJ 12-02-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 10243276)
it would be hard, but if there was a large fluid trail and unswerving skid marks that would certainly lend to that theory.

wreckless driving is wreckless and dead is dead. No way you can blame the auto for stupid driving. Plus, it's a public road, how many other vehicles leak crap out all over the place?

TLO 12-02-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 10243516)
wreckless driving is wreckless and dead is dead. No way you can blame the auto for stupid driving. Plus, it's a public road, how many other vehicles leak crap out all over the place?

Yep. I'm curious as to just how fast they were going. I'd wager they were going at least double the 45mph speed limit on a hilly road.

Tribal Warfare 12-02-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 10243529)
Yep. I'm curious as to just how fast they were going. I'd wager they were going at least double the 45mph speed limit on a hilly road.

I thought the story was hHis buddy was doing donuts in an open parking lot and lost control.

Tombstone RJ 12-02-2013 03:29 PM

another thing about this wreck, if I was a betting man, I'd bet drugs and alcohol were definitely part of the equation...

mikeyis4dcats. 12-02-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 10243695)
another thing about this wreck, if I was a betting man, I'd bet drugs and alcohol were definitely part of the equation...

I'd bet not.

Dallas Chief 12-02-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Why would you think that? Especially both drugs and alcohol? I think it is more likely that it was as a mechanical malfunction or loss of control somehow at high speed.

KC native 12-02-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 10243529)

Considering the GT is a super car and built to handle most high speed crashes, they were doing a minimum of 100. I'd wager 120-140 given that the cops are saying they hit a tree, then a light pole, and a third tree.

KC native 12-02-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas Chief (Post 10243700)
Why would you think that? Especially both drugs and alcohol? I think it is more likely that it was as a mechanical malfunction or loss of control somehow at high speed.

just plain ol' driver error is the most likely explanation.

Too fast with no room for error means errors are usually punished severely.

Tribal Warfare 12-02-2013 04:44 PM

FYI, Dish on Demand has the F&TF series up and posted to rent and watch.

ShowtimeSBMVP 12-02-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Death Car May Have Malfunctioned
12/2/2013 6:25 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive
1201_walker_car_rodas_tmz_facebookThe exotic sports car in which Paul Walker violently died, crashed as a result of mechanical failure -- very possibly a steering fluid leak ... this according to sources closely tied to the auto shop where the vehicle was stored and maintained.

Sources connected to Always Evolving -- the shop co-owned by Walker and the Porsche driver Roger Rodas -- tell TMZ they saw evidence of a fluid burst and subsequent fluid trail before the skid marks at the accident scene.

The AE sources point to the fact there is a noticeable absence of skid marks until just before the point of impact. They say if Roger had lost control the skid marks would show swerving, but instead the marks were in a straight line. They feel this cements the theory the driver didn't have steering control.

Also suspicious -- the fire spreading so quickly in the front of the car. The sources say flames would be expected in the rear where the engine is ... but fire in the front reinforces their theory of a fluid leak of some sort.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2013/12/02/paul-w...#ixzz2mMPK5UTQ

Tombstone RJ 12-02-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

because they are hollywood people who have more money than brains and when you take a $500k car are play games with it I tend to think that some kind of idiocy is behind all of this, but maybe they were just dumb?

Tombstone RJ 12-02-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 10243802)
Exclusive
1201_walker_car_rodas_tmz_facebookThe exotic sports car in which Paul Walker violently died, crashed as a result of mechanical failure -- very possibly a steering fluid leak ... this according to sources closely tied to the auto shop where the vehicle was stored and maintained.

Sources connected to Always Evolving -- the shop co-owned by Walker and the Porsche driver Roger Rodas -- tell TMZ they saw evidence of a fluid burst and subsequent fluid trail before the skid marks at the accident scene.

The AE sources point to the fact there is a noticeable absence of skid marks until just before the point of impact. They say if Roger had lost control the skid marks would show swerving, but instead the marks were in a straight line. They feel this cements the theory the driver didn't have steering control.

Also suspicious -- the fire spreading so quickly in the front of the car. The sources say flames would be expected in the rear where the engine is ... but fire in the front reinforces their theory of a fluid leak of some sort.

meh, sounds to me like these guys are at the very least, non objective in their opinions. They may never be able to get an autopsy due to the remains being burned up but still, I wouldn't be surprised if drugs or/and alcohol might have been involved.

CrazyPhuD 12-02-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 10243802)
Exclusive

Heh the person who wrote that doesn't really understand how cars work(or at least the person who released that). Power steering fluid leaks are not a point of critical failure. If you lose fluid you don't lose steering, you lose power assist to your steering which means the wheel becomes noticeably harder to turn. He would still have been able to turn, just not usually as sharply as if with power steering. If he didn't turn it wasn't a power steering fluid 'leak'.

It might have been a linkage failure or some other issue but not simply fluid...

Anyong Bluth 12-02-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 10241270)

Sadly, last week he was giving an interview and said it was virtually a lock that they'd make F&F8 and almost certain 9 & 10. Vin and the other guys already had a continued trilogy idea floated out there and the studio was already on board with it as the franchise has only been drawing bigger and bigger box office gains.

Came across the story earlier today, which was a surprise to me because I thought this was the last one they had planned but he was joking that he'd be 50 by the time they wrapped up doing 10?!

Anyong Bluth 12-02-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Agreed- its called driver error.

Anyong Bluth 12-02-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD (Post 10243846)
Heh the person who wrote that doesn't really understand how cars work(or at least the person who released that). Power steering fluid leaks are not a point of critical failure. If you lose fluid you don't lose steering, you lose power assist to your steering which means the wheel becomes noticeably harder to turn. He would still have been able to turn, just not usually as sharply as if with power steering. If he didn't turn it wasn't a power steering fluid 'leak'.

It might have been a linkage failure or some other issue but not simply fluid...

Ya and it wouldn't be instantaneous either. You'd have to do a full rotation of the steering wheel in both directions to their maximum to bleed out all the steering fluid. It just doesn't work like that and typically gets stiffer and stiffer as you continue to drive - doesn't just seize up all of a sudden.

Sure-Oz 12-02-2013 05:49 PM

NBC showing a story now on Paul Walker, hearing his dad talk about him was heart wrenching

Sure-Oz 12-02-2013 05:51 PM

Police have ruled out a 2nd car and are focusing on speed, donut spins and possibly a blown tire

ToxSocks 12-02-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD (Post 10243846)

I think we would need to know more about the technology Porsche uses in a new Carrera GT before we can determine what did or didn't cause it.

I'm probably wrong, but i'd think a $500K Porsche super car is a bit more complex than your everyday chevy.

Dayze 12-02-2013 06:05 PM

he was probably rolling with Firestones.

CrazyPhuD 12-02-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 10243913)
I think we would need to know more about the technology Porsche uses in a new Carrera GT before we can determine what did or didn't cause it.

I'm probably wrong, but i'd think a $500K Porsche super car is a bit more complex than your everyday chevy.

I would say extremely unlikely in this case. While I'm sure if I wanted to spend the time I could find the manuals/exploded parts diagrams to be 100% definitive. I'm about 99% sure it's traditional steering setup. Why? Because the only way it's really a critical error is if it's steer by wire system, frankly I'm not sure anyone is doing that yet.

The primary reason(especially for sports/supercars) is feel. With direct linkage you feel the car and feel the road, if your steering doesn't have a direct linkage to the wheels you lose feeling and have numb steering which is quite bad for performance driving. Hell the Porsche community was up in arms when the 997 came out because it was coming with electronic steering assist versus hydraulic.

People used to hate on electric power steering assist because it gave that 'numb' feeling. For any supercar that's meant to be raced/tracked it would be unheard of to remove the driver feedback by unlinking the steering, much less a Porsche.

Steering links could have broken which would have disabled it, but no way a loss of fluid alone caused a loss of steering control. The mechanical connection would have still been there.

SAUTO 12-02-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD (Post 10244011)
I would say extremely unlikely in this case. While I'm sure if I wanted to spend the time I could find the manuals/exploded parts diagrams to be 100% definitive. I'm about 99% sure it's traditional steering setup. Why? Because the only way it's really a critical error is if it's steer by wire system, frankly I'm not sure anyone is doing that yet.

The primary reason(especially for sports/supercars) is feel. With direct linkage you feel the car and feel the road, if your steering doesn't have a direct linkage to the wheels you lose feeling and have numb steering which is quite bad for performance driving. Hell the Porsche community was up in arms when the 997 came out because it was coming with electronic steering assist versus hydraulic.

People used to hate on electric power steering assist because it gave that 'numb' feeling. For any supercar that's meant to be raced/tracked it would be unheard of to remove the driver feedback by unlinking the steering, much less a Porsche.

Steering links could have broken which would have disabled it, but no way a loss of fluid alone caused a loss of steering control. The mechanical connection would have still been there.

and USUALLY at speed its still fairly easy to turn the wheel

KC native 12-02-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 10243913)

It wasn't a new one. 2006-2008. Brand new they were a million IIRC

And they were bad ass. Should be a carbon fiber monocoque.

Edit: just looked it up. Pure carbon fiber monocoque and subframe. They were hauling balls to cause that much damage. Also, not buying power steering leak as the cause. Driver error is my bet.

ToxSocks 12-02-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD (Post 10244011)

Lets say it is a traditional power steering set up (I agree, it most likely is), then it's not unreasonable to believe that there could have been a failure in a steering line. The pumps i deal with at work can put out as much as 2200PSI, which is certainly enough to turn a small leak into a complete bust if it's leaking from the fitting/hose end.

I'm not trying to argue with you, just stating that we don't know enough to dismiss what the report is saying.

I know my Trans Am is a pain in the ass to steer when i lose power steering, i could only imagine how difficult it would be to steer it around a corner at 120+ MPH.

ToxSocks 12-02-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Race Card native (Post 10244095)
It wasn't a new one. 2006-2008. Brand new they were a million IIRC

And they were bad ass. Should be a carbon fiber monocoque.

Edit: just looked it up. Pure carbon fiber monocoque and subframe. They were hauling balls to cause that much damage. Also, not buying power steering leak as the cause. Driver error is my bet.

Driver error is the most logical, but according to reports, it would also mean he drove straight ahead into (whatever it was that he hit).

If there was a stream of fluid before the impact and no tire marks....that COULD mean mechanical error.

SAUTO 12-02-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 10244137)
Lets say it is a traditional power steering set up (I agree, it most likely is), then it's not unreasonable to believe that there could have been a failure in a steering line. The pumps i deal with at work can put out as much as 2200PSI, which is certainly enough to turn a small leak into a complete bust if it's leaking from the fitting/hose end.

I'm not trying to argue with you, just stating that we don't know enough to dismiss what the report is saying.

I know my Trans Am is a pain in the ass to steer when i lose power steering, i could only imagine how difficult it would be to steer it around a corner at 120+ MPH.

again there would be less tire friction at those speeds and it wouldn't be as hard to turn as one would think IMO.

I think the bigger question is if the fluid caught fire and caused something to explode

SAUTO 12-02-2013 07:16 PM

and actually there are quite a few cars that have a pressure switch that cuts down the line pressure at highway speeds.

they get too easy to turn if they don't do it and make the car feel like you have to herd it down the road

CrazyPhuD 12-02-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 10244142)
Driver error is the most logical, but according to reports, it would also mean he drove straight ahead into (whatever it was that he hit).

If there was a stream of fluid before the impact and no tire marks....that COULD mean mechanical error.

Or the car realized it was about to die and pissed itself before impact.
(sorry couldn't resist. :p)

Frankly if there's any fluid loss that could have caused said event I would put my money more on a brake fluid loss.

If the driver lost it and realized it was going badly and put both feet in but the brakes were gone the resultant confusion might have lasted long enough for him not to turn depending upon how fast he went.

KC native 12-02-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 10244142)

The hood isn't wrecked to shit. They had side impacts to do that damage. It looks like they may have hit shit with both sides of the car.

SAUTO 12-02-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD (Post 10244158)
Or the car realized it was about to die and pissed itself before impact.
(sorry couldn't resist. :p)

Frankly if there's any fluid loss that could have caused said event I would put my money more on a brake fluid loss.

If the drive lost it and realized it was going badly and put both feet in but the brakes were gone the resultant confusion might have lasted long enough for him not to turn depending upon how fast he went.

wasn't the driver a well qualified driver? experienced?

I would think (here goes me thinking) he would know how to react in that situation.

KC native 12-02-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 10244137)

It's easier to steer when the car is moving faster than at low speeds if you lose power steering (I had a POS trans am that had it's power steering go out and my caddy had some power steering issues for a while as well).

SAUTO 12-02-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Race Card native (Post 10244173)
It's easier to steer when the car is moving faster than at low speeds if you lose power steering (I had a POS trans am that had it's power steering go out and my caddy had some power steering issues for a while as well).

q

KC native 12-02-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 10244166)

I would think (here goes me thinking) he would know how to react in that situation.

You would think he would. Different people handle panic situations differently.

SAUTO 12-02-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Race Card native (Post 10244180)
You would think he would. Different people handle panic situations differently.

true but an experienced race driver most likely would have been put in that situation many times...

CrazyPhuD 12-02-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 10244166)

One would think, but when unexpected things happen sometimes people panic. Losing the brakes would probably confuse anyone, how long depends upon experience and how long he has to react(i.e. how fast he was going).

Still I'd like to think he would be steering to try to avoid things like trees even if braking. A choice between directly into a tree or a glancing blow and I know which one I'd prefer.

That said it's possible he went into the curb at an angle thinking he was going to shoot the gap between the trees. The problem is when he hit the curb the nose would stop but the back end wouldn't which could have then spun the car into the tree/light pole.

That's the difference between the track and the street. Go off-track and you run off into the grass/wall. Go off street and you nail a curb which can then launch you anywhere.

KC native 12-02-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD (Post 10244189)
One would think, but when unexpected things happen sometimes people panic. Losing the brakes would probably confuse anyone, how long depends upon experience and how long he has to react(i.e. how fast he was going).

Still I'd like to think he would be steering to try to avoid things like trees even if braking. A choice between directly into a tree or a glancing blow and I know which one I'd prefer.

That said it's possible he went into the curb at an angle thinking he was going to shoot the gap between the trees. The problem is when he hit the curb the nose would stop but the back end wouldn't which could have then spun the car into the tree/light pole.

That's the difference between the track and the street. Go off-track and you run off into the grass/wall. Go off street and you nail a curb which can then launch you anywhere.

Fire department said they hit a tree, then a light pole, and then another tree.

Barret 12-02-2013 07:45 PM

Instead of power steering fluid, could it have been brake fluid?

I say this due to they state that there were no skid marks up until time of impact. If they are going fast and hit the brakes and there is no fluid then there is no skid mark. You would then resort to the E-brake but that really only helps on the rear wheels. (at least on your average family car)

So the driver is going fast, comes into a corner to hot and tries to brake but no brakes, he has no time to think so the last resort before the crash is to try the emergency brake to slow the vehicle down.

Also in racing it is taught to do "Straight Line Braking". If you are turning the car then the weight is transferred to which ever side is turning. So lets say you are turning left, then the weight of the car is moving right. If you brake, the weight of the car is moving forward. The best example is to get a folding chair and lean it right or left depending on how you are turning. Then lean it forward during the turn to simulate braking and you see how the weight transfers to the front "tires" and how easily it can then have the back end of the car come around. With a Porsche that has a tendency to get squirrely due to where the engine is and other factors, this above example might get exaggerated.

Why I am bringing this up is why there may have not been any steering input by the driver. He may have thought any steering input would have put the car into a much worse type of spin and believed hitting whatever might have been a better choice. This story could have really been about Paul Walker and Driver wrecking a $300,000 sports car and everyone could be all self righteous about the Hollywood rich folk just breaking up a beautiful car. Both Paul and the Driver are in the hospital and here are pictures of the ruined car. They get out in a couple of weeks with some scratches or broken bones or something and everyone forgets about it.

Unfortunately, after the initial impact which may have forced the two unconscious, the car ignites on fire from a source located at the front of the car. Is exotic Brake Fluid flammable? They wouldn't be using regular off the shelf Dot 3 brake fluid in an exotic race car. But the engine and all the hot stuff is in the back...if the brake fluid line bursts up front and spayed onto something hot it wasn't the engine.

So just my .10 cents worth of tinfoil for what happened here.

ToxSocks 12-02-2013 07:46 PM

Yeah, the more i read about it and the more i see, the more i lean towards driver error.

One thing i've learned since being around fast cars, you don't **** with supercars. I knew a guy who purchased a Ford GT off some guy who owned it for only a month. The guy was selling it because the car scared the shit out of him.

ToxSocks 12-02-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barret (Post 10244244)

I say this due to they state that there were no skid marks up until time of impact. If they are going fast and hit the brakes and there is no fluid then there is no skid mark. You would then resort to the E-brake but that really only helps on the rear wheels. (at least on your average family car)

So the driver is going fast, comes into a corner to hot and tries to brake but no brakes, he has no time to think so the last resort before the crash is to try the emergency brake to slow the vehicle down.

Also in racing it is taught to do "Straight Line Braking". If you are turning the car then the weight is transferred to which ever side is turning. So lets say you are turning left, then the weight of the car is moving right. If you brake, the weight of the car is moving forward. The best example is to get a folding chair and lean it right or left depending on how you are turning. Then lean it forward during the turn to simulate braking and you see how the weight transfers to the front "tires" and how easily it can then have the back end of the car come around. With a Porsche that has a tendency to get squirrely due to where the engine is and other factors, this above example might get exaggerated.

Why I am bringing this up is why there may have not been any steering input by the driver. He may have thought any steering input would have put the car into a much worse type of spin and believed hitting whatever might have been a better choice. This story could have really been about Paul Walker and Driver wrecking a $300,000 sports car and everyone could be all self righteous about the Hollywood rich folk just breaking up a beautiful car. Both Paul and the Driver are in the hospital and here are pictures of the ruined car. They get out in a couple of weeks with some scratches or broken bones or something and everyone forgets about it.

Unfortunately, after the initial impact which may have forced the two unconscious, the car ignites on fire from a source located at the front of the car. Is exotic Brake Fluid flammable? They wouldn't be using regular off the shelf Dot 3 brake fluid in an exotic race car. But the engine and all the hot stuff is in the back...if the brake fluid line bursts up front and spayed onto something hot it wasn't the engine.

There would still be brakes though. They'd simply revert to manual brakes.

SAUTO 12-02-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 10244248)
Yeah, the more i read about it and the more i see, the more i lean towards driver error.

One thing i've learned since being around fast cars, you don't **** with supercars. I knew a guy who purchased a Ford GT off some guy who owned it for only a month. The guy was selling it because the car scared the shit out of him.

I remember the bill cosby story Shelby told about the other super snake.

SAUTO 12-02-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 10244250)
There would still be brakes though. They'd simply revert to manual brakes.

not if they lost all the fluid.

but you know as well as I do in those cars thats almost impossible

Tombstone RJ 12-02-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barret (Post 10244244)

this Porsche is a mid engine V10, not a rear engine boxer 6. The rear engine 911 variants do corner a little differently due to the weight in the back but it provides excellent cornering in that IF you hit the accelerator instead of breaking too long, the back tires really, really stick and you sweep through the corner much faster.

Deberg_1990 12-02-2013 10:08 PM

Ouch...this guy is cold, but it's pretty much the truth about guys like this.

http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/2013/12/dead-end-2/

I’m sure Kramer and Cohen are as devastated as Vin Diesel and everyone else who knew and worked with Walker. This is sad as hell, and ghastly to boot. Slamming into a pole at high speed and then being engulfed by flames…good God. A terrible and senseless way to die. Because the circumstances seem to indicate recklessness. They certainly don’t indicate moderation and restraint.

The Porsche Carrera that Walker died in was owned and was being driven by Walker’s friend, wealth management advisor and philanthropic partner Roger Rodas, who was also a former race-car driver. Rodas had a side business as the CEO of Always Evolving, a car customization shop in Santa Clarita. Walker and Rodas had raced cars together in the Pirelli World Challenge series, and “had decided to take Rodas’s rare Porsche Carrera GT from a car show at his building to the Reach Out Worldwide charity event in Los Angeles,” according to one report.

Rodas and Walker “had been friends and had been racing for several years before they began collaborating on Walker’s finances,” according to a web page for The Rodas Group, the Merrill-Lynch financial management company.

Walker’s Wiki page reports that “shortly after leaving in Rodas’ red Porsche Carrera GT, the driver (i.e., Rodas) lost control and crashed into a light pole and tree in Valencia, California and burst into flames.”

Take a look at the photo of Rodas’s demolished Porsche Carrera. It looks as completely obliterated as James Dean‘s Porsche Spyder did after the car crash that killed Dean in September 1955. Who loses control of a classic Porsche and turns it into a pile of mangled rubble in the middle of the afternoon in a sleepy Los Angeles suburb? Who slams a Porsche into a light pole and a tree at high speed? Someone who’s been driving outside the posted speed limit, I’d say. Is it disrespectful to note that all race-car enthusiasts are adrenalin junkies, and that these two were probably enjoying the juice a few seconds before they died?

That’s what car enthusiasts live for, no? Not to die, obviously, but, in their parlance and by the laws of their realm, to live to the fullest.

But even if they were speeding beyond any sense of rationality or restraint you would think that a former race-car driver would know how to handle a well-engineered car like a Porsche Carrera…aahh, the hell with it. The investigation will determine the circumstances and likely cause soon enough.

Tribal Warfare 12-03-2013 01:47 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/j2rJBGOIhAI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>