ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Funny Stuff Stand Up Comedy (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=279418)

58-4ever 05-17-2021 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 15676876)
That's a name I haven't heard since the old days of Comedy Central when they showed actual stand-up comedy.

He might have been on the show Crashing (HBO), which I would highly recommend for anyone that likes stand-up. Not a comedy, but funny. Cancelled way too soon (3 seasons). Lots of comedians popped up on that one.

He's so good. I'm sure he has written for several shows that everyone watches.

Baby Lee 05-17-2021 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58-4ever (Post 15676922)
He's so good. I'm sure he has written for several shows that everyone watches.

His biggest profile of late has been him dropping hints about the shenanigans he witnessed while on staff at Ellen.

Otter 05-17-2021 02:07 PM

Bill Burr seems to have lost his edge since he got married and had kids.

He was one of the best in his prime.

Pablo 05-17-2021 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 15676938)

Have you watched F is for Family? It’s great and while not standup it’s still him.

Rausch 05-17-2021 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 15676938)

Yes and Yes...

tatorhog 05-17-2021 03:10 PM

Kathleen Madigan was a good show, as was Rodney Carrington.

I was disappointed by Louis Black, but I'm guessing he wasn't really in the mood to bring his A-game to Salina, KS.

Jim Breuer was a suprisingly good show as well.

penchief 05-17-2021 04:31 PM

Chapelle is amazing. Probably the best ever at keeping it real while simultaneously being laugh out loud funny. In the same league as Pryor when it comes to that. The Chapelle Show was pure genius.

The next guy on my list is Norm McDonald.

Chiefshrink 05-17-2021 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorce (Post 15676570)
We came across Nate Bargatze's specials on netflix and I enjoyed both.

Haven't heard this kind of dry sense of humor since Bob Newhart. Nate is great !!

Love Sebastian Maniscalco and Christopher Titus as well.

Baby Lee 09-06-2022 11:42 AM

For those who may have heard of him but never really saw anything of his, I noticed Comedy Central put Mitch Hedberg's big 'name-making' special on YT for free streaming recently

<iframe width="820" height="461" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vrIw2i4WtA4" title="An Escalator Can Never Break - Mitch Hedberg: Comedy Central Presents - Full Special" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rain Man 09-06-2022 11:55 AM

I fell out of keeping up with the standup game many years ago. I want to start listening again and identifying people that I like. I just haven't done it due to other priorities.

One thing that mystifies me about standup comedy is when people talk about stealing jokes or plagiarizing jokes. Obviously you don't want people stealing original work, but it seems like it would be impossible to not accidentally have two people come up with the same joke independently. How does a comic even know that some other comic hasn't made the same joke? There are a million of them out there.

scho63 09-06-2022 12:04 PM

I keep trying to watch female comedians and they all suck. Nikki Glaser spends all her time talking sex and stupid shit that is so overdone. Her and Whitney Cummings try to outdo themselves being dirty for just beng dirty. They both suck.

No female comedians I know can tell funny life stories. Sarah Silverman comes close.

Ellen DeGeneres and Wanda Sykes are the last great female standups.

Does anyone know a single FUNNY one?

SD15 09-06-2022 12:06 PM

Sebastian Maniscalco

Shag 09-06-2022 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 16446109)
For those who may have heard of him but never really saw anything of his, I noticed Comedy Central put Mitch Hedberg's big 'name-making' special on YT for free streaming recently

<iframe width="820" height="461" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vrIw2i4WtA4" title="An Escalator Can Never Break - Mitch Hedberg: Comedy Central Presents - Full Special" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

One of the all time greats, and absolutely worth a watch.

POND_OF_RED 09-06-2022 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 16446142)
I keep trying to watch female comedians and they all suck. Nikki Glaser spends all her time talking sex and stupid shit that is so overdone. Her and Whitney Cummings try to outdo themselves being dirty for just beng dirty. They both suck.

No female comedians I know can tell funny life stories. Sarah Silverman comes close.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k8Nfw75QASU

I love Michelle Wolf. I also find it funny that someone who openly admits on a football forum to paying for hookers gets a little uncomfortable when women talk about sex. That’s comedy gold in itself.

scho63 09-06-2022 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by POND_OF_RED (Post 16446174)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k8Nfw75QASU

I love Michelle Wolf. I also find it funny that someone who openly admits on a football forum to paying for hookers gets a little uncomfortable when women talk about sex. That’s comedy gold in itself.

That's a stupid comment. I don't get uncomfortable with any sex talk, I just expect it to be funny when delivered from a comedian. :rolleyes:

myselff77 09-06-2022 01:16 PM

Quote:

Iliza Shlesinger was funny when she first getting national attention after winning Last Comic Standing. Seemed like she took a step back or ran out of jokes after releasing a few comedy specials. I haven't seen anything of hers lately to see if she's rebounded at all or not.

Baby Lee 09-06-2022 02:34 PM

Being funny in standup is a niche and very particular way of being funny.

It's one person commandeering the attention of the entire audience to consume their creative output with no feedback except laughter.

I still find a good deal of standup enjoyable, but it's increasingly, exponentially increasingly, rare that I find it 'funny.'

Sometimes it's to the point where I search my memory to find and think back on sets I did actually find funny, as opposed to interesting and amusing.

They say of Lorne Michaels that he rarely if ever laughs at anything, which might strike you as odd from the premiere gatekeeper of comedy for half a century. But they also say that if he softly says 'that's funny' in an audition, you likely have the next Ferrell, Belushi, or Hartman on your hands. Since I heard that, I find that's how I actually assess standup most of the time, . . . Maybe 2-3 times a decade a standup set will ACTUALLY make me laugh. More that I quietly note 'that's funny, I need to remember how funny that was.'

I laugh, actually laugh, a lot more at improv or conversation like you find on SuperEgo, Comedy Bang-Bang, Teacher's Lounge or Conan Needs a Friend, than I do with standup these days, and there are plenty of solid contributors in those arenas.

Tina Fey, Andrea Savage, and Jessi Klein are great writers with a great ear for dialogue and absurdity.

Mary Holland, Julie Klausner, Janet Varney, Nicole Byer, Nicole Parker, Lauren Lapkis, . . . there are TONS of funny conversationalists and improv-ers out there,

In standup specifically, Ali Wong, Esther Povitski, Michelle Wolf, Taylor Tomlinson, and occasionally Fortune Feimster seem to me the current best at 'the craft.' That is focusing on the timing and phrasing calculated to elicit laughs. . . ie, and working travelling live standup like one would expect when going to the local Chuckle Hut for an evening of laughs.

Pepe Silvia 09-06-2022 02:38 PM

Never been a big stand up guy other than Carlin or Burr. However there was a couple acts by John Leguizamo that I enjoyed. Dana Gould was pretty good the one time I watched him HBO as well.

scho63 09-06-2022 03:14 PM

Tom Segura is really good these days

HC_Chief 09-06-2022 03:17 PM

Quote:

Kathleen Madigan

sedated 09-06-2022 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 16446109)

One of the shames about live TV changing the way things are done - Comedy Central used to play stand up (like Mitch) all day, now its just reruns of the Office. There are so many comedians that I'd probably never hear of if it wasn't for sitting around watching the old 80's and 90's classics. The A List was one of the shows that sticks out, along with reruns of HBO's old One Night Stand.

BWillie 09-06-2022 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 16446444)
Tom Segura is really good these days

The best.

For a pretty clean comedian who is surprisingly very good - Nate Bargatze.

BWillie 09-06-2022 06:53 PM

I must be sexist because I really don't think any female comics are funny as standup comedians. But yet I defend the female Ghostbusters as not being a bad movie. Who knows.

Shag 09-06-2022 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 16446834)
The best.

Bargatze really reminds me of Segura, in terms of delivery. Their style is very similar, and definitely works for both - supposed to be seeing Segura here locally soon, which should be awesome.

Dayze 09-06-2022 07:49 PM

Quote:

Kathleen madigan

rabblerouser 09-06-2022 07:58 PM

Chris Porter

From KC and he's funny. Going to see him at the Blue Note in Dec

Mecca 11-11-2022 02:47 PM

Throw out some new comedians, I listen to stand up all the time and I'm looking for some new people to listen to...

BWillie 11-11-2022 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 16595361)
Throw out some new comedians, I listen to stand up all the time and I'm looking for some new people to listen to...

Andi Smith..despite woman comic is pretty funny. Not real well known though

AdolfOliverBush 11-11-2022 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 16595361)

How about Matt Braunger? He's not new, but I think he's underrated.

Mecca 11-11-2022 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush (Post 16595371)
How about Matt Braunger? He's not new, but I think he's underrated.

New to me works honestly, I'm sure I haven't heard everything out there.

Wisconsin_Chief 11-11-2022 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 16446834)
The best.

Bargatze is hysterically funny. He was just in town a few weeks ago and had some new material, it was absolutely terrific. Best part is I can watch him with my kids around because he's not raunchy at all. Love that dude.

Megatron96 11-11-2022 05:28 PM

Been a while since I've really become a fan of a stand-up, but recently Bill Burr has become one for me. He thinks like I do. He just says it in ways that are a lot funnier than what comes out of my mouth most of the time.

As for female stand-ups, well, maybe it's me, but I never saw one that was really that good. I like Whitney Cummings, but she's not on the same level as any of the best male stand-ups.

IowaHawkeyeChief 11-11-2022 06:03 PM

I'm going to see David Koechner, Anchor Man fame, tomorrow night in Des Moines. Don't know what to expect.

Mecca 11-11-2022 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 16595669)
Been a while since I've really become a fan of a stand-up, but recently Bill Burr has become one for me. He thinks like I do. He just says it in ways that are a lot funnier than what comes out of my mouth most of the time.

As for female stand-ups, well, maybe it's me, but I never saw one that was really that good. I like Whitney Cummings, but she's not on the same level as any of the best male stand-ups.

He has a Monday morning podcast every week, you should give that a look.

otherstar 11-14-2022 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief (Post 16595700)
I'm going to see David Koechner, Anchor Man fame, tomorrow night in Des Moines. Don't know what to expect.

Cool guy! I don't know much about his comedy, but I went to college with his sister Joan at Benedictine College in Atchison in the early 90s. David attended Benedictine, but before I started there (I'm not sure if he graduated from there or not).

chiefzilla1501 11-14-2022 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 16595669)

I think just like music you gotta get out of the mainstream. The mainstream wants to push comedians who are over the top. And that’s especially true I feel for female comedians. There are several who are more subtle like Taylor Tomlinson who are pretty good.

ChiefaRoo 11-14-2022 08:07 PM

Stand up comedy died with Patrice O’Neal.

Chappelle is the last man standing and he smokes way too much.

Southpark still has some great moments.

IowaHawkeyeChief 11-19-2022 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otherstar (Post 16604506)
Cool guy! I don't know much about his comedy, but I went to college with his sister Joan at Benedictine College in Atchison in the early 90s. David attended Benedictine, but before I started there (I'm not sure if he graduated from there or not).

He put on a good show and is a Chiefs fan! Was a good night of comedy.

Baby Lee 11-30-2022 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10269747)
Brian Regan

<iframe width="820" height="461" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IrwSlzlrsyM" title="Brian Regan More Than Just a Comedian | NFL FIlms Presents" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>