ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life I am moving to the suburbs. What do I need to know? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=299304)

Bewbies 04-13-2016 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 12176029)
It's slow but peaceful. It's hard to hate the 'burbs, IMO.

Until your only dining options not 30 minutes away are Chili's and Applebee's or variations thereof.

Strongside 04-13-2016 09:23 AM

Sat out on the deck yesterday for a while during inspections.

Listened to the leaves rustle, birds chirping, wind chimes rattling.

Not once did I hear a car horn, a couple yelling, my downstairs neighbor's dog barking, or a gun shot. Not once did a homeless guy approach me and ask for money because he lives in Liberty and his friend dropped him off and he needs bus fare to get home, but really just needs to score a pint of Wild Turkey or a spot of crack. Not once did someone puke on my sidewalk. My car was not stolen, vandalized or broken into, all of which have happened multiple times in my current apartment.

I'm gonna love this shit. **** you guys.

Bewbies 04-13-2016 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 12175020)
You're having kids.

That's a kids cave. Complete with crayon and spilled food covering your nice couches and chairs.

Enjoy.

There is nothing in life better than being dad. But this is true as hell. Your kids destroy everything.

Discuss Thrower 04-13-2016 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 12176066)
There is nothing in life better than being dad. But this is true as hell. Your kids destroy everything.

Money. Money is better than parenthood.

LoneWolf 04-13-2016 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 12176070)

You couldn't be more wrong, and if you're game is strong you can have both.

tooge 04-13-2016 09:33 AM

I like Lewdog. Having said that, the constant "your life will end and all your cool shit will be ruined when you have kids" thing is so.....I don't know, so.....ignorant. My existance was incredible before kids. Hunting, fishing, camping, golfing, bbqing, working out, traveling, hanging with buddies, etc. Then when I had kids, my life actually started. Now I do all the same stuff I did before, but I have taught my kids how to do it with me. Hell, I hunt and fish more than I ever did, and now my son goes to the gym with me. Your life starts AFTER kids, not before. Takes a man to make a man, as they say, until then.......

Donger 04-13-2016 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 12176063)

Not once did I hear a car horn, a couple yelling, my downstairs neighbor's dog barking, or a gun shot. Not once did a homeless guy approach me and ask for money because he lives in Liberty and his friend dropped him off and he needs bus fare to get home, but really just needs to score a pint of Wild Turkey or a spot of crack. Not once did someone puke on my sidewalk. My car was not stolen, vandalized or broken into, all of which have happened multiple times in my current apartment.

Good for you. I hope you continue to enjoy it.

Bewbies 04-13-2016 10:14 AM

Quote:

Too many men believe this lie. You couldn't be more wrong here.

Rain Man 04-13-2016 10:22 AM

Quote:

I'm going to have to side with Discuss on this one. The diaper thing alone is a dealbreaker.

Rain Man 04-13-2016 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 12176058)
Until your only dining options not 30 minutes away are Chili's and Applebee's or variations thereof.

I haven't been in a Wal-Mart in probably 15+ years, either, and I think I've been to a Target "superstore" less than three times. I live in the middle of a major metro area, but I really just live in a little village that is mostly small businesses.

ThaVirus 04-13-2016 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 12176058)

Maybe what I think of and the places I've lived aren't truly suburbs, but my perception is that most 'burbs tend to have small shopping plazas that crop up near them over time.

If you have to drive 30 minutes (traffic aside) to dine in at a restaurant you're probably not in the suburbs, you're in the country.

Discuss Thrower 04-13-2016 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12176156)
I'm going to have to side with Discuss on this one. The diaper thing alone is a dealbreaker.

At last estimate, it costs around $250,000 to raise a child from birth to legal adulthood.

That's insane.

ThaVirus 04-13-2016 10:26 AM

I've been having some legitimate baby fever lately.

It really is a shame that kids are so expensive and the best time, biologically, to have them is while you're young but finances at that time generally don't permit it.

Rain Man 04-13-2016 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 12176166)

It really is a shame that kids are so expensive and the best time, biologically, to have them is while you're young but finances at that time generally don't permit it.

Studies have consistently shown that parents are less happy than non-parents. Maybe get a kitten or something. Kittens are adorable when they chase string.

Discuss Thrower 04-13-2016 10:31 AM

Quote:

1) Save money.

2) Go on the healthiest diet you can manage, especially in terms of your balls and spermatozoa.

3) After a good month or so of a healthy diet, lukewarm showers and wearing loose fitting undies, empty your nuts into a sample bottle at a clinic.

4) Have your baby batter frozen.

5) Live your life for the next 5 years as you please with an extra effort toward saving money for when you're better suited financially for parenthood.

6) Settle down with a lady, make sure she's reproductively fit herself and IVF that shit with your John Wayne'd sperm which, in theory, is better suited for an ideal conception considering the age in which you froze your gametes and the health kick you went on 5-10 years prior.

ThaVirus 04-13-2016 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12176173)
Studies have consistently shown that parents are less happy than non-parents. Maybe get a kitten or something. Kittens are adorable when they chase string.

Maybe so. I originally would have been ok with never having children but lately I've been wanting them.

I don't think most people ever regret having children in the long run but they definitely do regret not having them. I think it's something I have to do.

ThaVirus 04-13-2016 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 12176176)
1) Save money.

2) Go on the healthiest diet you can manage, especially in terms of your balls and spermatozoa.

3) After a good month or so of a healthy diet, lukewarm showers and wearing loose fitting undies, empty your nuts into a sample bottle at a clinic.

4) Have your baby batter frozen.

5) Live your life for the next 5 years as you please with an extra effort toward saving money for when you're better suited financially for parenthood.

6) Settle down with a lady, make sure she's reproductively fit herself and IVF that shit with your John Wayne'd sperm which, in theory, is better suited for an ideal conception considering the age in which you froze your gametes and the health kick you went on 5-10 years prior.

Solid, logical plan but I'm old fashioned.

I'm emptying my nuts straight into uterus like nature intended.

DaneMcCloud 04-13-2016 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 12176163)
If you have to drive 30 minutes (traffic aside) to dine in at a restaurant you're probably not in the suburbs, you're in the country.

You missed his point entirely.

What he's saying is that the suburbs are filled with chain restaurants like Chili's, Olive Garden, Applebee's, et al, and to find a unique dining experience, you'd need to drive 30 minutes or more.

Discuss Thrower 04-13-2016 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 12176183)
Solid, logical plan but I'm old fashioned.

I'm emptying my nuts straight into uterus like nature intended.

The older you are when you go the natural route, the more you bring birth defects in to play. That's compounded by the age of the hapless woman you're inseminating.

Mitigate risk, homie.

ThaVirus 04-13-2016 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12176188)
You missed his point entirely.

What he's saying is that the suburbs are filled with chain restaurants like Chili's, Olive Garden, Applebee's, et al, and to find a unique dining experience, you'd need to drive 30 minutes or more.

Ah, yes. I see that now.

Still not true in my experience.

Rain Man 04-13-2016 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 12176179)
Maybe so. I originally would have been ok with never having children but lately I've been wanting them.

I don't think most people ever regret having children in the long run but they definitely do regret not having them. I think it's something I have to do.

I bet some people regret having children. Society just doesn't let them say that.

But I get the regret about not having children. Most of my peers now have launched their children and now are starting to have grandchildren, and it seems like that might be a nice situation if none of them are deadbeats. I can see maybe when I'm 80 that I might think, "It would be nice to have Thanksgiving with my hypothetical attractive and non-incarcerated children and grandchildren."

Donger 04-13-2016 10:52 AM

Sure, most selfish people shouldn't have kids.

tooge 04-13-2016 10:57 AM

Quote:

Easy man, I was only gonna ask you for $10

ThaVirus 04-13-2016 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12176211)
I bet some people regret having children. Society just doesn't let them say that."

LMAO You know, I'm sure this is absolutely true, particularly if your child turns out to be a deadbeat.

I'm at the age now where a lot of females I know had children young and are now single mothers in their mid-20s. None will say they regret having children but that they wish they'd have waited or found the right man first. That's just a socially acceptable way of saying they wish they didn't have a kid at the moment, but in 20 years they might be empty nesters and then, I'm sure, they won't regret it so much.

Rain Man 04-13-2016 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 12176220)
Sure, most selfish people shouldn't have kids.

I'm proud of my self-awareness in that area.

Bugeater 04-13-2016 11:17 AM

Quote:

Meh, we were broke as **** when we had our son. Didn't matter though because we were tied down with him and couldn't do shit anyway. Now he's 21 and pretty much out of our hair and we have both the disposable income and time to do whatever we want and I couldn't be any happier.

ThaVirus 04-13-2016 11:30 AM

I am moving to the suburbs. What do I need to know?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baconeater (Post 12176275)
Meh, we were broke as **** when we had our son. Didn't matter though because we were tied down with him and couldn't do shit anyway. Now he's 21 and pretty much out of our hair and we have both the disposable income and time to do whatever we want and I couldn't be any happier.

This is what's got me contemplating it although I'm not where I want to be yet.

In my experience, shit tends to work itself out. And I've known tons of people far less capable than I am to do just fine.

Donger 04-13-2016 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12176244)
I'm proud of my self-awareness in that area.

LMAO

Ming the Merciless 04-13-2016 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12176156)

nah

God has a way of helping us cope with it....the 1st month or two of diapers is completely harmless and doesnt even smell..its like play dough or a little tar..and youi end up changing a million diapers so it becomes like you can do it blindfold...

Then it gets kind of mustardy and just a little stinky, but its a bit easier to clean than the sticky play dough tar..

By the time they are taking real meat/potatoes/stinkbomb shits, youve become numb to changing diapers and it just seems normal...but you are only changing a few a day so it seems actually better than changing a gazillion.

Strongside 04-13-2016 02:48 PM

I see this thread has gone to shit.

stevieray 04-13-2016 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 12176659)
I see this thread has gone to shit.

Sorry, man.

Predarat 04-13-2016 05:46 PM

Chick Fil A Drive Throughs are absolute hell on earth during anytime any normal person would eat. Especially when those damn soccer moms cut right into lane 2 instead of getting in the 1st line.

srvy 04-13-2016 06:06 PM

Listen here buster the thing you need to know in one sentence. You touch my stuff I'll kill ya!
http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-conten...ya_stripes.gif

TribalElder 04-13-2016 06:25 PM

Housing market is pretty high right now

Congrats on buying a home. I hope they market doesn't collapse after the election

lewdog 04-13-2016 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 12176078)
I like Lewdog. Having said that, the constant "your life will end and all your cool shit will be ruined when you have kids" thing is so.....I don't know, so.....ignorant. My existance was incredible before kids. Hunting, fishing, camping, golfing, bbqing, working out, traveling, hanging with buddies, etc. Then when I had kids, my life actually started. Now I do all the same stuff I did before, but I have taught my kids how to do it with me. Hell, I hunt and fish more than I ever did, and now my son goes to the gym with me. Your life starts AFTER kids, not before. Takes a man to make a man, as they say, until then.......

ROFL

I am sorry my posts in this thread read so serious to some of you.

But kids aren't for everyone and I wish more people would think about all the things that come with having a child. Sadly, many are accidents and many children as seen as burdens to many parents, they just won't tell you.

And for the record, I love kids. I like working with them and interacting with them. Stop bagging on my you asshats. I was thinking this thread was a rather non-serious thread if you actually read the OP.

BlackOp 04-13-2016 10:53 PM

Quote:

Ha..there is truth in what you are saying...being an urbanite wears you out. Everything you've mentioned has happened to me....plus getting jacked with two pistols pointed at my temples....trying to force me into their car. I'm lucky to be typing.....or unlucky...depending who you ask.

Been seriously considering packing my shit up and heading to Seattle...Chicago is a pretty dark place right now. Burbs are a nice juxtaposition..but then the restlessness sets in and the feeling of being trapped permeates. You'll wake up one morning and think "I've been tricked...neutered by my own doing".

TribalElder 04-13-2016 11:08 PM

http://www.kshb.com/news/region-kans...rhood-addition

Suburban problems

Strongside 04-14-2016 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 12177761)

I'd bet good money that old Nancy was the one who painted that fence. That woman needs her ass kicked.

TribalElder 04-14-2016 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 12178042)
I'd bet good money that old Nancy was the one who painted that fence. That woman needs her ass kicked.

LOL, she is definitely involved. Paid her kids greens fees and gave them a spray paint can

TribalElder 04-14-2016 09:54 AM

Golfers mad because they usually play it out of that yard

Strongside 04-14-2016 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 12178107)
Golfers mad because they usually play it out of that yard

When my dad lived in Arizona his house was on a golf course. His pool was always so full of golf balls I never had to buy any. It was awesome.

DanT 04-14-2016 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 12173786)
Everyone else is probably all mature or so you think.

This last halloween I was left on house duty while the wife and in laws took the boys out trick or treeting. My neighbor, who was in the same predicament came over and we teemed up with the 65 year old retired neighbor across the road to fill an old purse up with dog shit and lay on the sidewalk and watch people get all pumped only to pick it up

ROFL

Rain Man 04-14-2016 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 12178173)
When my dad lived in Arizona his house was on a golf course. His pool was always so full of golf balls I never had to buy any. It was awesome.

I almost had a research project once that involved sitting in someone's yard and mapping golf ball hits. Her house had been built on a dogleg of a golf course and it was getting pelted all the time. My work was part of a lawsuit against the developer or the golf course or whatever, but they settled the case before I could get the contract in place. That would've been a fun study.