ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   All alex all the time (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=307712)

SAUTO 05-14-2017 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 12871931)
It was a few sentences in response to pugs post, the other half of the post is about Hunt and our run game

Didnt need moved at all, but whatever gets you guys off

Yeah that's exactly why I did it to get off ... Seems like something awful silly to cry about.

The posts before yours were about hunt, the posts after were about smith. Look back if you don't believe me.

Easy 6 05-14-2017 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 12871940)
Yeah that's exactly why I did it to get off ... Seems like something awful silly to cry about.

The posts before yours were about hunt, the posts after were about smith. Look back if you don't believe me.

Well, I guess the upshot is I now have another 100+ post thread

So I got that going for me, which is nice

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-14-2017 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballBillay (Post 12871935)
Wont have anything to do with Alex. When the running game was on in 14' we won like 5 in a row and 11 in 15'. If Hunt is the real deal and Houson is healthy this team can compete with anybody sans New England.

Seattle and Dungver don't win those SB's without their running game.
Hell, Pitt doesn't go on that impressive win streak last year without Leveon Bell.
Atlanta became viable when the got Coleman and Freeman.

Why the ignorant folk still have this mentality that this is 'strictly' a QB league when 40% of the plays are kept on the ground, absolutely baffles me.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-14-2017 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 12871947)
Well, I guess the upshot is I now have another 100+ post thread

So I got that going for me, which is nice

https://media2.giphy.com/media/xxISZJit7bRMk/giphy.gif

Glass half full

pugsnotdrugs19 05-14-2017 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12871937)
Yet, you of anyone know that I've been right far more times than wrong on this board. I led the charge to back the team after Charles went down as clay would inevitably get banned cause I pushed him into insanity about how wrong he was. Same with this year, all the dumbasses (most of this board) at 2-2 bailed on the team and were listening to clay (thank God, got banned again for his stupidity) who said we wouldn't get more than 7 wins.

You were dry humping all of my posts since October 2015, don't forget that cupcake.

If I agreed with any of your Alex BS in the past, it was because I was clinging to some balky hope that he would be the best version of himself in 2016 and in the playoffs. The Pittsburgh game was the icing on the cake to what was a shitty season offensively. This team lost 3 of the regular season games directly due to the offense, much of which was Alex's fault. They squeaked out a few wins because of the defense making huge plays. A couple of times Alex's conservative play dug them a hole in which he was very lucky to dig out of in the 4th quarter.

Almost everyone on this board saw in 2016 what they needed to see, but yet your dumbass is still living in fantasy land. You're a Smith fan boy who won't acknowledge that he's holding the roster back.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-14-2017 11:55 AM

Yes, we are all aware that you are using the Pitt game as the starting point for your hatred of Smith. We know.

Alex's conservative play is equally if not more directly tied to Reid's play calling when we got up 2 scores. We have seen the stats. When the game is on line or we're behind, he plays exceptionally well. That holding call on the 2 point conversion to Harris was horse ****...but on that drive he converted a 3rd and 25 and also a 4th down play in the red zone to set up Ware for that 1 yard TD.

Blame him all you want for the Titans game, but the defense had every opportunity to stop them from marching down the field. Berry was in no mans land and let Walker gash us twice in the middle of the field.

pugsnotdrugs19 05-14-2017 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12871969)
Yes, we are all aware that you are using the Pitt game as the starting point for your hatred of Smith. We know.

Alex's conservative play is equally if not more directly tied to Reid's play calling when we got up 2 scores. We have seen the stats. When the game is on line or we're behind, he plays exceptionally well. That holding call on the 2 point conversion to Harris was horse ****.

My displeasure toward Smith was beginning to compile throughout his entire shit season. It culminated in the embarrassing playoff loss.

So now what, Andy has some button that makes Alex check down on the majority of his reads? Face it dude. That's who Smith is. He's not going to take the necessary risks with the football to get a team over the hump.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-14-2017 12:04 PM

What the hell is your definition of check down?

Cause tom brady and matt ryan get 20% of their yards from running backs.

Just asking...

pugsnotdrugs19 05-14-2017 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12871982)
What the hell is your definition of check down?

Cause tom brady and matt ryan get 20% of their yards from running backs.

Just asking...

Are you really going to try to twist this fact into some sort of debate? Everyone who is remotely familiar with football knows that Smith is the poster boy for conservative, game manger style football.

If you want to use that stupid stat, how many yards from Kelce are from YAC? I'll give you a hint. It's more than his yards through the air.

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-14-2017 12:19 PM

ROFL @ "two more seasons of Smith"

Fantasy.

****ing.

Land.

RealSNR 05-14-2017 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12871948)
Seattle and Dungver don't win those SB's without their running game.
Hell, Pitt doesn't go on that impressive win streak last year without Leveon Bell.
Atlanta became viable when the got Coleman and Freeman.

Why the ignorant folk still have this mentality that this is 'strictly' a QB league when 40% of the plays are kept on the ground, absolutely baffles me.

Yeah, and when Minnesota had all that playoff success when Adrian Peterson was paired with Tarvaris Jackson and Christian Ponder! Or how about those Chiefs teams of the 90s! What about the first three New England Super Bowl teams who were nothing more than Kevin Faulk and a washed up Corey Dillon in the backfield?

There is no one right way to build your team. I think the majority of teams will take a good-not-great running game combined with a great QB instead of the reverse.

Baby Lee 05-14-2017 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12871953)
If I agreed with any of your Alex BS in the past, it was because I was clinging to some balky hope that he would be the best version of himself in 2016 and in the playoffs. The Pittsburgh game was the icing on the cake to what was a shitty season offensively. This team lost 3 of the regular season games directly due to the offense, much of which was Alex's fault. They squeaked out a few wins because of the defense making huge plays. A couple of times Alex's conservative play dug them a hole in which he was very lucky to dig out of in the 4th quarter.

Almost everyone on this board saw in 2016 what they needed to see, but yet your dumbass is still living in fantasy land. You're a Smith fan boy who won't acknowledge that he's holding the roster back.

I'm asking this in all seriousness, and hoping for well reasoned responses only.

I'm seriously at a loss how the Pittsburgh loss was the straw the broke the camel's back for ALEX ONLY.

I can see if it broke someone's spirit for the whole team. It nearly did for me. It certainly made me question karma and frankly the drive of the entire organization. But I've come to convince myself that the entire team was out of sorts, and there is [probably] some hidden drama or injury behind the scenes that they were trying to cover for.

I get that many see this as an 18 pt defensive truimph that Alex alone effed up. But I seriously see it as a potential 50/55-10 blowout that was only 'effed up' by Rapelis having his worst day of his career, and a few sparks of life from the offense towards the end.

Reerun_KC 05-14-2017 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 12871997)
ROFL @ "two more seasons of Smith"

Fantasy.

****ing.

Land.

I hope von Miller wrecks his knee. Anything to end this Alex fraud experiment...

rico 05-14-2017 12:47 PM

Man...I think I have finally hit a wall with this topic. Every time I read about Alex, I think of that song by Marilyn Manson, "The New Shit" where he's like,"everything has been said before, nothing left to say anymore."

pugsnotdrugs19 05-14-2017 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12872005)
I'm asking this in all seriousness, and hoping for well reasoned responses only.

I'm seriously at a loss how the Pittsburgh loss was the straw the broke the camel's back for ALEX ONLY.

I can see if it broke someone's spirit for the whole team. It nearly did for me. It certainly made me question karma and frankly the drive of the entire organization. But I've come to convince myself that the entire team was out of sorts, and there is [probably] some hidden drama or injury behind the scenes that they were trying to cover for.

I get that many see this as an 18 pt defensive truimph that Alex alone effed up. But I seriously see it as a potential 50/55-10 blowout that was only 'effed up' by Rapelis having his worst day of his career, and a few sparks of life from the offense towards the end.

The defense did what it did all year in that game. Bend don't break. They were dealing with injuries all throughout the front 7. Houston wasn't half of himself, and obviously DJ, Bailey, and Howard were out. Hali wasn't right either I'd guess looking at his snap count. Roethlisberger had been poor on the road for the past 2-3 seasons, and the stats show that. I didn't expect Ben to have a great game.

The offense was also what it had been the entire year. There were no injuries outside of Ehinger, which likely held the running game back a little bit. We were at home, coming off of a bye, facing a defense that was not what anyone would consider to be good. Andy's first 15 play script was a success (much like the Tennessee game), but when it came time to make adjustments, the offense curled into a ball. Just as it did vs. TEN, TB, HOU. Even some of our wins were highlighted a below average offense.

Sure, some of that blame could go around to all. But there is no question where the majority of it goes. I've got NFL Game Pass, and I watch the tape of the games on All-22. Smith left a ton of plays on the field. Specifically in the playoff game, as many have posted on here. Despite what you read on here, Maclin is still a really good WR. He got open a lot last year toward the end of the season. Smith just wasn't throwing him the ball. The same can be said for other receivers as well on certain plays.

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-14-2017 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 12872019)
I hope von Miller wrecks his knee. Anything to end this Alex fraud experiment...

No no, we are to be grateful for Alex's overstay upon stabilizing the QB position, and should petition the Chiefs to keep Alex well in to year 3 of Mahomes rookie contract, yes.

You know, because we're morons!

Baby Lee 05-14-2017 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 12872019)

We get it, you're a classless piece of shit and a worthless sports fan.

The Chiefs ought to give you season tickets, except you have to attend every event 'siamese twin' style with that asshole who called Adam Jones the N-word in Boston last week.

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-14-2017 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12872032)

The Chiefs ought to give you season tickets, except you have to attend every event 'siamese twin' style with that asshole who called Adam Jones the N-word in Boston last week.

Cue the classic Baby Lee outrage post!

Sandy Vagina 05-14-2017 12:50 PM

Quote:

I even broke down the KC drives in that game.. explained where they failed.. and not one ****ing person here had the stones to dispute that he might... might have been responsible for more than 1 of the 9 drives. (the sack on 3rd and 7, where he really should have just let the ball out)

Sandy Vagina 05-14-2017 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 12872031)
No no, we are to be grateful for Alex's overstay upon stabilizing the QB position, and should petition the Chiefs to keep Alex well in to year 3 of Mahomes rookie contract, yes.

You know, because we're morons!

You are morons, because you are blaming Smith for his overstay.. instead of blaming Andy and Dorsey.. who make that ultimate decision.

Baby Lee 05-14-2017 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12872030)
The defense did what it did all year in that game. Bend don't break. They were dealing with injuries all throughout the front 7. Houston wasn't half of himself, and obviously DJ, Bailey, and Howard were out. Hali wasn't right either I'd guess looking at his snap count. Roethlisberger had been poor on the road for the past 2-3 seasons, and the stats show that. I didn't expect Ben to have a great game.

The offense was also what it had been the entire year. There were no injuries outside of Ehinger, which likely held the running game back a little bit. We were at home, coming off of a bye, facing a defense that was not what anyone would consider to be good. Andy's first 15 play script was a success (much like the Tennessee game), but when it came time to make adjustments, the offense curled into a ball. Just as it did vs. TEN, TB, HOU. Even some of our wins were highlighted a below average offense.

Sure, some of that blame could go around to all. But there is no question where the majority of it goes. I've got NFL Game Pass, and I watch the tape of the games on All-22. Smith left a ton of plays on the field. Specifically in the playoff game, as many have posted on here. Despite what you read on here, Maclin is still a really good WR. He got open a lot last year toward the end of the season. Smith just wasn't throwing him the ball. The same can be said for other receivers as well on certain plays.

All well and good, just interested in the thought process that watched the game and said 'well, now we have exactly one big identifiable and unchangeable problem to fix.'

I saw a shit ton of work to be done, and a huge blowout narrowly averted by a HAAARIBLE performance by the opposing QB.

Baby Lee 05-14-2017 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 12872033)
Cue the classic Baby Lee outrage post!

Reerun is ginning up his tired 'destroy Alex's body and brain, put him in hospice care so I don't have to watch him on muhteevee' schtick.

That's a different level of shitbird worthlessness than even you.

Reerun_KC 05-14-2017 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12872032)

Ermahgerd. Slurpees!!

Shut up with your bullshit homeristic ball washing.

Reerun_KC 05-14-2017 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12872042)
Reerun is ginning up his tired 'destroy Alex's body and brain, put him in hospice care so I don't have to watch him on muhteevee' schtick.

That's a different level of shitbird worthlessness than even you.

Boo hoo

No different than you blowing him every other post.

Reerun_KC 05-14-2017 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy Cheeks (Post 12872037)
You are morons, because you are blaming Smith for his overstay.. instead of blaming Andy and Dorsey.. who make that ultimate decision.

My distain of andy got me banned from A many of threads thanks to Bob dole the ball washer.

Baby Lee 05-14-2017 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 12872046)
My distain of andy got me banned from Amy of threads thanks to Bob dole the ball washer.

Glug, glug, glug. . . .

Reerun_KC 05-14-2017 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12872047)
Glug, glug, glug. . . .

Alright then. Swallow you some.

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-14-2017 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy Cheeks (Post 12872037)

Welp, I'm VERY happy with their latest decision regarding the QB position of the KC Chiefs, so there's that.
And when I found out that they had made that decision almost a year ago, I knew then and there that my team was FINALLY in the hands of people who had a clue.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 12872046)
My distain of andy got me banned from A many of threads thanks to Bob dole the ball washer.

You fought bravely my friend. Kick back and enjoy the victory of a Dole-free Planet, just as God intended.

RealSNR 05-14-2017 02:16 PM

Quote:

Are you looking for irrefutable proof that Alex isn't good enough? You're not going to get it. He's not going to ever go full Tyler Palko in a game.

That doesn't mean his performance was acceptable or good enough. And if you want to argue that it is, what percentage of total Alex games would you guess gave a clear indication that he had a GREAT game? Now what percentage of games do you come back to CP to recap and people can't quite seem to decide if Alex was good or bad?

When you're so often riding that gray area as a QB, the situation becomes like the boy who cried wolf. He puts up Pittsburgh games ****ING CONSTANTLY. Chiefs lost? "Well if receiver X would do his job and catch the ball..." Chiefs win? "Ever think that Alex chose to play to the team strengths and allow our ST and D to keep doing what they were doing?" And in those wins, how many of them ever include more than 1 or 2 memorable and important plays that Alex made?

Maybe it's juuuust possible that game managers just don't win those Pittsburgh games. Maybe it's possible the QB can not look like an ass on the field and still just not be good enough.

If we're so dependent on the injury depleted defense to make all the clutch end of game plays (which Alex makes them do all the time in the regular season) then maybe we should be looking to replace the game manager QB who makes the team so dependent on that side of the ball to win games

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-14-2017 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 12872151)
Are you looking for irrefutable proof that Alex isn't good enough? You're not going to get it. He's not going to ever go full Tyler Palko in a game.

That doesn't mean his performance was acceptable or good enough. And if you want to argue that it is, what percentage of total Alex games would you guess gave a clear indication that he had a GREAT game? Now what percentage of games do you come back to CP to recap and people can't quite seem to decide if Alex was good or bad?

When you're so often riding that gray area as a QB, the situation becomes like the boy who cried wolf. He puts up Pittsburgh games ****ING CONSTANTLY. Chiefs lost? "Well if receiver X would do his job and catch the ball..." Chiefs win? "Ever think that Alex chose to play to the team strengths and allow our ST and D to keep doing what they were doing?" And in those wins, how many of them ever include more than 1 or 2 memorable and important plays that Alex made?

Maybe it's juuuust possible that game managers just don't win those Pittsburgh games. Maybe it's possible the QB can not look like an ass on the field and still just not be good enough.

If we're so dependent on the injury depleted defense to make all the clutch end of game plays (which Alex makes them do all the time in the regular season) then maybe we should be looking to replace the game manager QB who makes the team so dependent on that side of the ball to win games

Perfect.

Hammock Parties 05-14-2017 02:35 PM

Why are we still talking about this cuck?

http://i.imgur.com/kfyYxz8.jpg

Stop wasting keystrokes and bandwidth on him.

New World Order 05-14-2017 02:36 PM

1 more year and he's done.

SAUTO 05-14-2017 03:11 PM

Quote:

Good post

Baby Lee 05-14-2017 03:16 PM

Quote:

I get that you're scrutinizing Alex. My question is why is he the sole subject of criticism? Is everything else 'fine?' Is everything else 'going to improve' but him? Is QB play at this point the only thing anyone gives a shit about anymore? [again, I point out the pro bowl QB skills challenge, for those so inclined]

beach tribe 05-14-2017 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12870874)
Then they must be prepared for a 6-10 or 7-9 season, which I think is highly unlikely.

There is no reason why they have to be ready for a 6-10 or 7-9 season in 2018 if they want MaHomes to start.

There is no reason why he won't be ready to play after a year on the bench .
Reid has to adjust the playbook for Smith because of his limitations, and if Mahomes has any limitations, he will do the same for him.

And finally there is no reason for the Chiefs to pay Smith 20 million dollars in 2018.....and they won't..

Anyone who thinks Smith will be here in 2018, barring the best season of his career, by far, needs to wake up.

They didn't trade up 17 spots in the 1st rnd for their hand picked guy to sit half of his rookie deal..

This is Smith's last season playing for the Chiefs, unless he takes a pay cut, which he very well might do, as he has stated that he is willing to discuss how he can help the team financially.

beach tribe 05-14-2017 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12872225)
I get that you're scrutinizing Alex. My question is why is he the sole subject of criticism? Is everything else 'fine?' Is everything else 'going to improve' but him? Is QB play at this point the only thing anyone gives a shit about anymore? [again, I point out the pro bowl QB skills challenge, for those so inclined]

What would be the point of that in this thread??

This thread is not a thread that has been derailed by Alex talk..This is an Alex thread.

Baby Lee 05-14-2017 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 12872236)
What would be the point of that in this thread??

This thread is not a thread that has been derailed by Alex talk..This is an Alex thread.

No, it's a zombie thread that had to be excised from the Hunt thread because the Hunt thread turned into another of a million Alex threads.

Because Alex or not Alex is the only thing that has ever mattered in the history of the NFL.

Hammock Parties 05-14-2017 03:34 PM

God it would just be the worst thing EVER if we went 7-9 while developing a 2nd year QB.

I mean god damn, missing out on a first round playoff exit would just be DEVASTATING while thinking of all the dividends that year of experience would pay for Mahomes' future.

GOD DAMN I WOULD JUST SLIT MY WRISTS IF WE WENT 7-9 OR GOD FORBID 6-10 AUUUUUUUGH THE HUMANITY WHEN WE COULD CELEBRATE THAT TOKEN PLAYOFF APPEARANCE ALL OFFSEASON

AUUUUUUGH

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-14-2017 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 12872241)
God it would just be the worst thing EVER if we went 7-9 while developing a 2nd year QB.

I mean god damn, missing out on a first round playoff exit would just be DEVASTATING while thinking of all the dividends that year of experience would pay for Mahomes' future.

GOD DAMN I WOULD JUST SLIT MY WRISTS IF WE WENT 7-9 OR GOD FORBID 6-10 AUUUUUUUGH THE HUMANITY WHEN WE COULD CELEBRATE THAT TOKEN PLAYOFF APPEARANCE ALL OFFSEASON

AUUUUUUGH

ROFL

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-14-2017 03:39 PM

Threedouchebags would lock himself in the garage and get his carbon monoxide groove on if the Chiefs were to miss the playoffs, all the while cursing those "damned Alex haters" for taking his AFCW bragging rights from him.

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-14-2017 03:43 PM

To answer Baby Lee's asinine question:

Alex does not live up to the rest of the roster talent-wise and overall. The QB position in Reid's offense requires a level of execution, vision, and testicles that Smith simply does not possess.
This isn't some grand mystery for ****'s sake.

beach tribe 05-14-2017 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12872239)
No, it's a zombie thread that had to be excised from the Hunt thread because the Hunt thread turned into another of a million Alex threads.

Because Alex or not Alex is the only thing that has ever mattered in the history of the NFL.

Hh ha!

Well, I did not know that..

Carry on...

KChiefs1 05-14-2017 03:52 PM

Can we add Alex Gordon to this thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beach tribe 05-14-2017 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 12872254)
To answer Baby Lee's asinine question:

Alex does not live up to the rest of the roster talent-wise and overall. The QB position in Reid's offense requires a level of execution, vision, and testicles that Smith simply does not possess.
This isn't some grand mystery for ****'s sake.

This is what I think every time someone asks others to explain why everything comes back Smith and what Smith is doing so wrong.

I just think....Jesus...Do you not watch the games??

He's a complete, sack-less pussy. He hold the offense back. Without question.

For all you people who say is it as much the offense and Andy, don't you think if Alex was running the offense correctly they wouldn't have aggressively went after a guy who is his polar opposite?

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-14-2017 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 12872284)
This is what I think every time someone asks others to explain why everything comes back Smith and what Smith is doing so wrong.

I just think....Jesus...Do you not watch the games??

He's a complete, sack-less pussy. He hold the offense back. Without question.

For all you people who say is it as much the offense and Andy, don't you think if Alex was running the offense correctly they wouldn't have aggressively went after a guy who is his polar opposite?

Look, they tried to fix damaged goods and just didn't take. Alex can not fault the Chiefs organization even one bit. They bent over backwards for him and gave him everything he needed to succeed. Period.
He's not a next-level player.
You have to ask yourself, "could the top 8 QB's in this league make chicken salad with Andy Reid and the current Chiefs roster"?
Of course they could.

RealSNR 05-14-2017 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12872225)

He's the sole subject of criticism because he's the most important position and can never become more than he is, which is not good enough. The other 21 positions for any given football team are constantly in flux. Old guys decline, new guys come up, young guys impress, and superstars stay great for a few years.

So you have one mediocre known who plays the most important position on the field. And the other 21 spots that are going to be constantly shifting and changing. Some years will be better than others. Some years will be luckier than others.

But Alex for 4 years has not been playing with utter crap. The other 21 spots, even in injury-riddled years, have been overall AT LEAST fairly decent if you average everything out.

With Alex the game becomes all about making the other 21 spots outstanding so that you can take his dependable-yet-pedestrian play to the postseason and hopefully grind it out against the best teams, never able to deliver knockout punches and always hoping the other team makes enough mistakes for you to just barely play better than them.

That's why people were claiming Alex to be the #1 thing that had to be fixed/replaced for so long even though we were winning, and why they rejected the idea that we should use the 2017 draft to stock up on ILBs, CBs, and RBs. It's easier to be in a position to win those tough playoff games from year to year when you've got a better QB and the other 21 spots, while still pretty good, aren't as good as they are in any other given year. Maybe we run into some bad luck with injuries again. A better QB can still win those playoff games. Alex over 4 years has shown us that he can not.

So that's why he gets the blame so often, and that's why that gif gets reposted over and over again. I'm sorry it upsets you that we're always reaming Alex and not our 3rd string ILB who couldn't stop LeVeon Bell, but you need to realize that 3rd stringer is irrelevant and far easier to upgrade throughout the course of a season or from year to year. The 3rd stringer wasn't brought in to win the Pittsburgh game, and is not due to make $17 million next year. Alex is due that amount, and if he would play better, it wouldn't be as big of a deal that we had a 3rd string ILB on the field due because of injury.

That's why people don't give a shit about the running game or the defense. It's been dependable, even through injuries to all of its best players at some point (Houston, Berry, DJ, Hali, both DEs). It will continue to be dependable, because John Dorsey knows how to draft and dumpster dive as well as any GM in football. If we get lucky enough and all the clocks strike at the same time, when we field insane incredible defense and Alex is our QB, we can maybe reach the AFC Championship game. When we field an insane incredible defense and if Mahomes ends up being significantly better than Alex, we're winning a Super Bowl.

pugsnotdrugs19 05-14-2017 04:30 PM

SNR pretty well hit the whole thing right on the head.

With Alex, come time to play the big boys, the true contenders.... it has to be 'sunny and 75' so to speak. Everything has to be hitting on all cylinders. Great defense. Good run game. Solid special teams. There is NO room for error when it comes time to play the New England's and Pittsburgh's of the NFL.

It is just the nature of the position he plays. The better your QB is, the more room for error in all of the other spots. So when you are like the Chiefs last year (and really any other year), by the time the playoffs roll around and the injuries have piled up, its too late. You are toast, because Alex Smith can't put the team on his back for the stretch run. Some of it because of skill, a lot of it because of his playing style.

Sandy Vagina 05-14-2017 04:56 PM

I actually agree with a lot of what is being said in here lately.

The problem I am having is accepting that almost all (or all) QBs need some help to get through the best of games. I mean... Big Ben had a run game that was crazy effective.. and he didn't exactly shine. Smith has not had a good run game this season, and in the playoff game. He was the QB that had key guys dropping the ball on key plays.. and OL causing drive-killing + score-killing penalties.

I get it... but at least say it. With the key injuries and screw-ups from other players... the Chiefs have needed an elite QB to carry them further.. and they didn't have one. It's really as simple as that.

It's still every bit as fascinating as it was from day 1. People accurately depict Smith as anywhere from lousy to average to good but not good enough.. yet somehow expect him to be elite to mask all of the other screwups. This to me is completely, utterly, fascinating logic.

... but maybe Mahomes will pay off and give you that mystical, magical QB that will carry the brokedick, penalty ridden, poor running, top 5 drop % offense. Maybe so.

We will find out soon enough.. and I welcome that.

Sandy Vagina 05-14-2017 04:59 PM

... and people are still ignoring any discussion about the actual drives in that game.. and why they failed. That's telling.

beach tribe 05-14-2017 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 12872293)
Look, they tried to fix damaged goods and just didn't take. Alex can not fault the Chiefs organization even one bit. They bent over backwards for him and gave him everything he needed to succeed. Period.
He's not a next-level player.
You have to ask yourself, "could the top 8 QB's in this league make chicken salad with Andy Reid and the current Chiefs roster"?
Of course they could.

I actually think Alex was an excellent choice to get this organization back on track but team has now grown him and his usefulness.

beach tribe 05-14-2017 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy Cheeks (Post 12872328)
... and people are still ignoring any discussion about the actual drives in that game.. and why they failed. That's telling.

Because it is irrelevant.

All they need to see is Tyreek Hill running wide open and the final score to go along with his overall body of work.

Rasputin 05-14-2017 05:03 PM

It takes about a quarter and a half it seems before our Alex Smith offense gets a respectable drive that leads to a score. Why is that it takes so much for this offense to get something worth while? Even in preseasons they leave Alex Smith in longer so they can establish a scoring drive with him and he should matriculate the ball for touchdowns not field goals.

beach tribe 05-14-2017 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy Cheeks (Post 12872326)

The problem I am having is accepting that almost all (or all) QBs need some help to get through the best of games. I mean... Big Ben had a run game that was crazy effective.. and he didn't exactly shine. Smith has not had a good run game this season, and in the playoff game. He was the QB that had key guys dropping the ball on key plays.. and OL causing drive-killing + score-killing penalties.

I get it... but at least say it. With the key injuries and screw-ups from other players... the Chiefs have needed an elite QB to carry them further.. and they didn't have one. It's really as simple as that.

It's still every bit as fascinating as it was from day 1. People accurately depict Smith as anywhere from lousy to average to good but not good enough.. yet somehow expect him to be elite to mask all of the other screwups. This to me is completely, utterly, fascinating logic.

... but maybe Mahomes will pay off and give you that mystical, magical QB that will carry the brokedick, penalty ridden, poor running, top 5 drop % offense. Maybe so.

Big Ben didn't throw 15tds this past season, and has SB appearances and rings. So he, unsurprisingly, gets a pass.

Your comparison is laughable.

Steelers players were also quoted as saying that they played way up close to the LOS because they weren't scared of the deep ball....I'm sure other teams did the same thing.

That doesn't exactly help a running game.

Rasputin 05-14-2017 05:15 PM

Quote:

Under Andy Reid Alex Smith doesn't get the luxury of a running game nor will he ever because Andy Reid is a pass happy coach. He likes passing on first, second and third downs. If he is behind he will pass if the game is tied he will pass and if they have a good lead he will pass. So I've never seen why Andy thinks Alex is a good fit he relies on a good run game like he did in San Fran with Frank Gore cuz then all he had to do was lob it to TE Vernon Davis general direction.

I don't get the love attraction Any Reid had with Alex Smith except maybe he liked him out of college and wanted to coach him up from the beginning. Then maybe we would be talking a different Alex Smith today but that's not what we have in him. I'll give him credit for hanging in there with shitty coaching for his first half of his career until Jimbo H got there.

beach tribe 05-14-2017 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 12872344)
Under Andy Reid Alex Smith doesn't get the luxury of a running game nor will he ever because Andy Reid is a pass happy coach. He likes passing on first, second and third downs. If he is behind he will pass if the game is tied he will pass and if they have a good lead he will pass. So I've never seen why Andy thinks Alex is a good fit he relies on a good run game like he did in San Fran with Frank Gore cuz then all he had to do was lob it to TE Vernon Davis general direction.

I don't get the love attraction Any Reid had with Alex Smith except maybe he liked him out of college and wanted to coach him up from the beginning. Then maybe we would be talking a different Alex Smith today but that's not what we have in him. I'll give him credit for hanging in there with shitty coaching for his first half of his career until Jimbo H got there.

I think they just needed a solid team player that doesn't make mistakes to get the team back on track, and he was what was available.

The same bunch spouted over and ocver that Alex was Reid's guy and that he was doing things the way Reid wanted..

And then they traded up 17 spots and got what they really wanted.

Sandy Vagina 05-14-2017 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 12872346)
I think they just needed a solid team player that doesn't make mistakes to get the team back on track, and he was what was available.

The same bunch spouted over and ocver that Alex was Reid's guy and that he was doing things the way Reid wanted..

I'd say "the same bunch" was right.. until now. One of two things happened... maybe both:

Smith either told them (or they figured after the concussions/not-concussions moments) that he would not be around long....

+/or they are tired of waiting for Smith to become more aggressive and yet still more composed as a pocket passer. He's frankly too rattled when heavy pressured, and pulls his eyes down far too much for a long-time vet. Guess he never really recovered from the many years of shit OLs, or he's worried about his long-term health too much now.

Whatever... it really doesn't matter anymore. 2017 will come and go, and the Mahomo era begins... for better or worse.

Reerun_KC 05-14-2017 05:53 PM

It can't get any worse. At least for the first time in decades they are attempting to build a Superbowl caliber team.

SAUTO 05-14-2017 05:57 PM

Maybe they just decided that he just isn't good enough...

notorious 05-14-2017 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 12872374)

It really is this simple.

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-14-2017 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy Cheeks (Post 12872358)
2017 will come and go, and the Mahomes era begins

Props to you for acknowledging the truth. Never go Full-Tigger.

jd1020 05-14-2017 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 12872374)

3rd winningest QB in the last 3 years something or other blah blah

Baby Lee 05-14-2017 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 12872346)

This present an interesting question. If the Chiefs were in the exact same position except with Rodgers or Brady or Brees at QB, do you think Mahomes was a waste of resources to acquire?

Maybe I'm higher on Mahomes than the drafturbator squad. . .

I think they went for Mahomes because they LIKE Mahomes, not because they HATE Alex.

jd1020 05-14-2017 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12872400)
I think they went for Mahomes because they LIKE Mahomes, not because they HATE Alex.

I think they LIKE him because when Andy was drawing up plays on the whiteboard, Alex went to the front of class and erased every line that went beyond 5 yards.

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-14-2017 06:53 PM

Quote:

This present an interesting question. If the Chiefs were in the exact same position except with Rodgers or Brady or Brees at QB, do you think Mahomes was a waste of resources to acquire?

ROFL

It's not the ****ing Dating Game, and your make-believe scenario is absolutely pointless.
Here's some reality; the Chiefs WANT to be in the same position as the clubs that employ Rodgers and Brady. The acquisition of Mahomes is a genuine attempt to become a franchise of the caliber of the two clubs you mentioned.
They certainly were not going to attain that status with Alex Smith or by dumpster-diving through the garbage rounds of the draft.
"Liking" has nothing to do with any of this. Ever. This is business Sonny, not personal. I'm sure Andy and John have nothing but warm and fuzzy feelings for Alex as a human being, but they're not paying him to be a nice guy and to finish last.

SAUTO 05-14-2017 06:58 PM

Quote:

no.

I think you're right on the latter.

pugsnotdrugs19 05-14-2017 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 12872330)
I actually think Alex was an excellent choice to get this organization back on track but team has now outgrown him and his usefulness.

This

pugsnotdrugs19 05-14-2017 07:05 PM

Quote:

The decision to draft a QB in the first round while Smith is 33 years old tells you that they feel they can do better at the position. That they need to do better.

The decision to trade up 17 spots and essentially value Mahomes as worthy of two 1st round picks and a 3rd round pick tells you that they love Mahomes.

It is a mixture of the two that you mentioned. They identified a guy that they really liked, realized they could provide him the situation that he needed most, realized it was the perfect time to make a move, and made the trade to ensure he would be a Kansas City Chief.

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-14-2017 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12872414)
The decision to draft a QB in the first round while Smith is 33 years old tells you that they feel they can do better at the position. That they need to do better.

The decision to trade up 17 spots and essentially value Mahomes as worthy of two 1st round picks and a 3rd round pick tells you that they love Mahomes.

It is a mixture of the two that you mentioned. They identified a guy that they really liked, realized they could provide him the situation that he needed most, realized it was the perfect time to make a move, and made the trade to ensure he would be a Kansas City Chief.

And no one had to die! The world continued to rotate!

threebag 05-14-2017 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 12871250)
Dane,

What if Mahomes looks really good in preseason and camp? I would think if that happens they would be more inclined to roll with him in 2018.

Oh **** a preseason warrior. Let's go 4-0 preseason against ****ing scrubs.

Baby Lee 05-14-2017 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12872414)

But the question is, if Brady or Brees, or Rodgers is the starter, was Mahomes a good move or a waste of resources?

It would be nice to get a picture of the Mahomes enthusiasm without the stink of fan PTSD, whether from Alex or the run of all of history.

jd1020 05-14-2017 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12872427)
But the question is, if Brady or Brees, or Rodgers is the starter, was Mahomes a good move or a waste of resources?

What's the point of playing this what if game?

pugsnotdrugs19 05-14-2017 07:21 PM

Quote:

It would be nice to get a picture of the Mahomes enthusiasm without the stink of fan PTSD, whether from Alex or the run of all of history.

If those players are playing at their current level, I would say it would be a waste if you had Rodgers. He is only 33. Brees and Brady however are old enough that I wouldn't frown at the move. They are due to fall off the cliff at any time.

RealSNR 05-14-2017 07:25 PM

Quote:

Okay. You say tomato, I say AIDS. But yes, your first paragraph accurately depicted the sentiment most Chiefs fans on this site have had towards Alex.

In your second paragraph, you're still a bit Alex biased. "The other screwups" you're talking about are way overblown. Every loss that looks egregious on Alex's part like the Pittsburgh loss is always followed up with, "Yeah, but those key drops by receivers!" or "Our running game wasn't working!" Those are things that every single QB has to deal with. In a game manager's position, you either have those things or you don't, and there's nothing you can do to compensate or fix those issues. That's the problem with having a QB like Alex. When the statistical averages stay in the middle or swing his way, he's an ace in the hole. And when they don't swing his way, he can't do anything and won't influence shit in the game until fortune swings back his way.

"Alex is what he is" is NOT an excuse that he or his fans get to use for the Pittsburgh loss. Just because he does his good-but-not-good-enough shtick consistently doesn't mean we should turn our attention to the injuries and tackles not made by our 3rd stringers and all of a sudden expect THEM to be the heroes when our QB can't sustain drives for half the game or spot the key plays that would have broken the game open.

Baby Lee 05-14-2017 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 12872429)
What's the point of playing this what if game?

Thanks for your reply.

SAUTO 05-14-2017 07:28 PM

Quote:

If they think he will be the guy, great use of resources.

RealSNR 05-14-2017 07:29 PM

Quote:

It's possible to love Mahomes because we think he'll be a great pro QB AND also be glad that Alex is on his way out.

Baby Lee 05-14-2017 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 12872433)
Okay. You say tomato, I say AIDS. But yes, your first paragraph accurately depicted the sentiment most Chiefs fans on this site have had towards Alex.

In your second paragraph, you're still a bit Alex biased. "The other screwups" you're talking about are way overblown. Every loss that looks egregious on Alex's part like the Pittsburgh loss is always followed up with, "Yeah, but those key drops by receivers!" or "Our running game wasn't working!" Those are things that every single QB has to deal with. In a game manager's position, you either have those things or you don't, and there's nothing you can do to compensate or fix those issues. That's the problem with having a QB like Alex. When the statistical averages stay in the middle or swing his way, he's an ace in the hole. And when they don't swing his way, he can't do anything and won't influence shit in the game until fortune swings back his way.

"Alex is what he is" is NOT an excuse that he or his fans get to use for the Pittsburgh loss. Just because he does his good-but-not-good-enough shtick consistently doesn't mean we should turn our attention to the injuries and tackles not made by our 3rd stringers and all of a sudden expect THEM to be the heroes when our QB can't sustain drives for half the game or spot the key plays that would have broken the game open.

Thing is, your incessant need to phrase this in terms relying on all-star QBs versus relying on 3rd string ILBs is telling. Without improvement on the things people 'excuse' Smith for, there isn't a QB outside maybe Brady that will salve all ills. You're just setting yourself up for different, maybe more exciting, disappointment, instead of previous disappointment. The Pittsburgh game wasn't some crossroads were any old improvement at QB would have rescued us.

jd1020 05-14-2017 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12872434)
Thanks for your reply.

I just don't understand people who sit here and play what if fantasy games. Sorry.

And if you really want to know if Mahomes would have been a waste of resources if the team had one of those QBs then go ask the Saints because they apparently wanted Mahomes too.

Baby Lee 05-14-2017 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 12872439)
If they think he will be the guy, great use of resources.

I think they do, and I think he will, and I don't think the franchise is on the fans' page regarding present or near future competitiveness.

SAUTO 05-14-2017 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 12872444)
I just don't understand people who sit here and play what if fantasy games. Sorry.

And if you really want to know if Mahomes would have been a waste of resources if the team had one of those QBs then go ask the Saints because they apparently wanted Mahomes too.

I think he is more along what us, as fans, would think.