ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Best BBQ joint in KC area? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=290469)

Pablo 05-11-2020 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 14965688)
I don't EVER get ribs.

I can always do better myself, and for a helluva lot less...

I don't go after pork, but I do like a beef rib if they've got it because they're pricey and I never cook them myself. That and brisket or burnt ends or sausage.

When I smoke at home it's almost always pork or chicken of some kind. Gonna get brave and throw down on a brisket or two this summer though.

Why Not? 05-11-2020 07:07 PM

Not sure if I ever shared this with you guys but early on in 2019, my wife entered some giveaway(anniversary? monthly thing?)via Twitter for Q39 and she won! We won 4 tix to a Royals game which we gave away since we live in Arizona, a catered feast that I was able to take advantage of since I was in KC for work last September(I got twenty people in KC that really loved me that week!), tons of Q39 and Boulevard swag, a bunch of Q39 sauce and some BBQ stuff(meat thermometer, tongs, etc). It was bad ass!

I always love Gates and give me a Z Man over any individual item anywhere, but I’ve got a special place in my heart for Q39 now.

srvy 05-11-2020 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 14965672)
For my son's second birthday I made a pork butt and slaw and some other stuff. My MIL was in charge of the beans. She said she found a recipe online and had it under control.

Everyone raved about them. They were the best beans they've ever had. They kept asking who made them and I hadn't even had time to eat anything so I just said my MIL not thinking anything of it. She decided to buy a pan from Smokehouse instead of making them last minute.

LMAO

:D

rabblerouser 05-11-2020 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 14965710)
I don't go after pork, but I do like a beef rib if they've got it because they're pricey and I never cook them myself. That and brisket or burnt ends or sausage.

When I smoke at home it's almost always pork or chicken of some kind. Gonna get brave and throw down on a brisket or two this summer though.

For sure. Brisket takes a while...

rabblerouser 05-11-2020 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 14965672)
For my son's second birthday I made a pork butt and slaw and some other stuff. My MIL was in charge of the beans. She said she found a recipe online and had it under control.

Everyone raved about them. They were the best beans they've ever had. They kept asking who made them and I hadn't even had time to eat anything so I just said my MIL not thinking anything of it. She decided to buy a pan from Smokehouse instead of making them last minute.

LMAO

That's awesome.

ROFL
LMAO

Third Eye 05-11-2020 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 14965555)
Smokehouse has some Cajun butter chicken wings that are absolutely amazing. The ads with Fescoe on 610 got me to try them and it's one of the times I appreciated his pitch or opinion greatly. Their beans are as good as it gets in KC as well. The one in Gladstone is better than their Zona location.

I'll give Smokin Guns in NKC a nod for their burnt ends. Not as good as Joe's but as good as you'll find north of the river I'd guess.

I grew up north of the river so the Gladstone Smokehouse was our local BBQ joint. My dad is a Bryant’s guy so we’d venture down for that occasionally, but if it was just a random Tuesday and we wanted BBQ, Smokehouse is where we went. Haven’t been in years though. Just moved back to KC in 2018. Going to have to take the folks up there once things return to normalcy and try those wings.

Pablo 05-11-2020 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 14965424)
Q39 is trash.

Not Zarda bad....but close to it.

Holy shit, missed this gem.

CoMo: providing awful takes for over a decade.

blake5676 05-11-2020 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 14965555)
Smokehouse has some Cajun butter chicken wings that are absolutely amazing. The ads with Fescoe on 610 got me to try them and it's one of the times I appreciated his pitch or opinion greatly. Their beans are as good as it gets in KC as well. The one in Gladstone is better than their Zona location.

I'll give Smokin Guns in NKC a nod for their burnt ends. Not as good as Joe's but as good as you'll find north of the river I'd guess.

Our pickin's are slim north of the river for really good Q, but if you haven't had Jousting Pigs on the square in Liberty yet you should really give it a try. The burnt ends and ribs are both top notch. And they have a jalapeno cheesy corn that is tough to stop eating too.

alpha_omega 05-11-2020 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blake5676 (Post 14965997)
Our pickin's are slim north of the river for really good Q,

Truth.

Bill Brasky 05-11-2020 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 14965957)

I don’t know that it’s the best in KC or whatever, but no sane person thinks Q39 is trash. It’s fine it you prefer the gas station/ Gates style restaurant; I’ve got no beef with that. But Q39 is objectively good BBQ based on the fact that they having a booming restaurant business with rabid fans.

Pablo 05-11-2020 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Brasky (Post 14966103)
I don’t know that it’s the best in KC or whatever, but no sane person thinks Q39 is trash. It’s fine it you prefer the gas station/ Gates style restaurant; I’ve got no beef with that. But Q39 is objectively good BBQ based on the fact that they having a booming restaurant business with rabid fans.

Yeah you'd have to get your taste buds scrubbed off to think it sucks. Not my personal favorite but I'd eat there again in a heartbeat.

srvy 05-11-2020 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Eye (Post 14965944)
I grew up north of the river so the Gladstone Smokehouse was our local BBQ joint. My dad is a Bryant’s guy so we’d venture down for that occasionally, but if it was just a random Tuesday and we wanted BBQ, Smokehouse is where we went. Haven’t been in years though. Just moved back to KC in 2018. Going to have to take the folks up there once things return to normalcy and try those wings.

I grew up in Northland and still live here we have pretty good choices honestly. I can remember when Marty's bbq was the only game in town. It was ok but you always had to look over your shoulder wondering if a mob hit was about to happen in there.

srvy 05-11-2020 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 14965957)

I don't mind zarda but detest Q39 the atmosphere just bothers me. Oue is good but so many places in KC I would rather go.

srvy 05-11-2020 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blake5676 (Post 14965997)
Our pickin's are slim north of the river for really good Q, but if you haven't had Jousting Pigs on the square in Liberty yet you should really give it a try. The burnt ends and ribs are both top notch. And they have a jalapeno cheesy corn that is tough to stop eating too.

Some friends rave about it. I need to try when we get back to normal. Scotts Kitchen and Catering up by airport on Ambassador Dr is really good.

cooper barrett 05-11-2020 10:32 PM

great place to enjoy music, BBQ... Not so much It's been 5 years, maybe it got better. (and less stingy)

Quote:

Originally Posted by cripple creek (Post 14965415)
haven't been in the last few years but a little joint called Wabash was a longtime favorite. it's in excelsior springs, mo