ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Scott Pioli's first press conference thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=200312)

FloridaMan88 01-14-2009 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRock (Post 5391832)
The one guy? You're saying they have quotes on the site from everyone involved in the National Football League, and/or every employee of the Kansas City Chiefs, except for Herman Edwards?

You don't find it weird the team's current head coach has nothing to say about the team's new GM?

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-14-2009 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsfan88 (Post 5391877)
You don't find it weird the team's current head coach has nothing to say about the team's new GM?

Two things:

1) After his previous foot-in mouth comments, clamming up is the right move.
"It's the smart move. Tessio was always the smarter one". "But I'm gonna' wait".

We all know what happened to Abe Begota, yes?

2) Welcome to the New Arrowhead Reality; silence is the order of the day until it's time to speak. I love it. We are on our way to being a legitimate NFL Franchise.

siberian khatru 01-14-2009 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth CarlSatan (Post 5391870)
Sweet Jesus; his Combine philosophy and mine jive 100%

Yes. I've always felt that people who put so much stock in combine stats lacked faith in their own evaluation skills. They wanted to let the numbers tell them what a good football player is. Pioli exudes confidence in his ability to identify a quality player based on what he does on the field, regardless of what the "measureables" might say.

humancrack44 01-14-2009 10:05 PM

thanx..

im a chiefs fan from the nyc area im sure they had it on tv somewhere but i only saw bits and pieces thanx for posting this

Hammock Parties 01-14-2009 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 5391932)
Yes. I've always felt that people who put so much stock in combine stats lacked faith in their own evaluation skills. They wanted to let the numbers tell them what a good football player is. Pioli exudes confidence in his ability to identify a quality player based on what he does on the field, regardless of what the "measureables" might say.

Basically Pioli is a GM who will let players like Devard Darling flourish. :D

Rain Man 01-14-2009 10:07 PM

What do you think he was going to say when he said, "There are no other Tom Brady's and no other Matt Cassell's. Now there's one guy who -" and then he stopped.

I bet he was talking about one of the QBs in the draft, and then remembered not to tip his hand.

Rain Man 01-14-2009 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth CarlSatan (Post 5391870)
Sweet Jesus; his Combine philosophy and mine jive 100%

Thank you Don Pioli, and Welcome To Kansas City!

Yeah, I was thrilled about that too. Maybe we won't always waste a second-round pick on a combine freak any more.

Hammock Parties 01-14-2009 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 5391944)
What do you think he was going to say when he said, "There are no other Tom Brady's and no other Matt Cassell's. Now there's one guy who -" and then he stopped.

I bet he was talking about one of the QBs in the draft, and then remembered not to tip his hand.

That made me want to hump his leg.

FringeNC 01-14-2009 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 5391944)

Yeah -- a little confusing, but I thought he was still talking about Cassel.

Zouk 01-14-2009 10:14 PM

We heard all that before when Tamba Hali and Brandon Flowers were drafted. That does not represent a philosophical shift for the Chiefs. Other things (e.g. drafting for scheme rather than taking best available talent and designing to them) are much more different with Pioli vs. Herm/Kuharich.

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-14-2009 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 5391932)

To me, the Combine is like the Playbill for the theater; it's your introduction to the cast as well as some minimal-yet pertinent information regarding what you're about to see.

It seems to me, and I hope it's true, that Pioli is a "moxie/mojo guy" when it all comes down to making the final call. DCS loves the mojo, and this club needs more of it!

dorseybowe 01-14-2009 10:18 PM

"We're going to build a big, strong, fast, smart, tough, disciplined football team."

:D

BigRock 01-14-2009 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsfan88 (Post 5391877)

The people quoted on the Chiefs' site either spent years working with Pioli (Kraft, Belichick, Newsome, Weiss) or are members of his family (Parcells).

Herm, to my knowledge, fits into none of those categories. So I'm not sure why it would be "interesting" that he wasn't included.

Where are Tom Brady's comments, that's a valid question. Or Romeo Crennel's. Or his Aunt Pat Pioli for some more family perspective.

FloridaMan88 01-14-2009 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRock (Post 5391984)
The people quoted on the Chiefs' site either spent years working with Pioli (Kraft, Belichick, Newsome, Weiss) or are members of his family (Parcells).

Herm, to my knowledge, fits into none of those categories. So I'm not sure why it would be "interesting" that he wasn't included.

Where are Tom Brady's comments, that's a valid question. Or Romeo Crennel's. Or his Aunt Pat Pioli for some more family perspective.

Because other than Clark Hunt, there is no more high profile person within the Chiefs organization to comment on Pioli's hiring than Herm.

chiefscafan 01-14-2009 10:29 PM

wow 810 is replaying the presser and I think their tape is warped and those idiots haven't figured it out yet LOL what a reeruned station.