ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports ***Official 2013-2014 NHL Season Thread*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276898)

CaliforniaChief 04-13-2014 10:10 PM

I went full homer and picked the Kings, of course. Definitely a "heart-filled" bracket.

I think the Wild will be a tough out. I also think the Flyers are going to go on a run.

MMXcalibur 04-13-2014 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 10561041)
Anybody interested in a ChiefsPlanet bracket challenge?

http://bracketchallenge.nhl.com/play...6618?locale=en
Password: chiefs

For those interested in fantasy hockey, check out Rinkotology (www.rinkotology.com)

You sign up for $10, pick one player from each team in the playoffs, and then hope for the best.

Scoring:

http://www.rinkotology.com/images/pointsystem.jpg

ClevelandBronco 04-13-2014 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 10561246)
This is pretty special too. Teemu's last regulation game - celebration afterwards.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FJuGmu9T8AE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

At about 2:30, he goes over and grabs Giguere (likely also his last game) for a victory lap.

Dammit, I really love that game.

Pushead2 04-14-2014 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 10561333)
I went full homer and picked the Kings, of course. Definitely a "heart-filled" bracket.

I think the Wild will be a tough out. I also think the Flyers are going to go on a run.

I picked a whole hearted bracket but it includes the Ducks winning the cup.

I genuinely feel their hardest task is the Stars. I know the Ducks can run with / against any team in the league. We just STRUGGLE against average teams.

I also took the Canadiens in the east. I like the way they look big time, but I think their hardest task might the in the first round too.

DaFace 04-14-2014 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 10561333)

I actually picked the Kings to go all the way as well. Though they haven't looked consistent this year, they have the history of going on a run in the playoffs that I think will serve them well. Kings over Penguins in the final.

I picked the Avs over the Wild and the Blackhawks, but fall to the Kings. Frankly, as long as they get out of the first round, I'm content. This is a rebuilding year after all. :)

DaFace 04-14-2014 10:20 AM

Whoa - the Preds fired Barry Trotz. You knew it had to happen eventually, but still crazy.

KC_Lee 04-14-2014 10:20 AM

Trotz out as HC in Nashville.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=7...d=nhl:topheads

Quote:

Barry Trotz will not return for a 16th season as Nashville Predators coach.

The organization announced Monday that Trotz's coaching contract would not be renewed. In a press release it was noted that Trotz has been offered a position within the Predators' hockey operations department but has yet to decide if he would accept the position.

"Our organization has high expectations and we have not met them in the past two seasons," general manager David Poile said in a statement. "As a result it is my decision and determination that we need a new voice and a new direction. Our change in direction began over a year ago as we have made several personnel changes, including trading of long-time veteran players and a change to our coaching staff last offseason. Our goal is to return to the playoffs with the ultimate goal of contending for the Stanley Cup. We know that once we get into the playoffs, anything is possible.

"I also want to thank Barry for everything he has done for our franchise. He has been the face and voice of our team for 15 years. He created, developed and lived The Predator Way -- on the ice, in the office and in the community. There could be no finer ambassador for the Predators or Nashville than Barry Trotz. He has laid a foundation and culture that will benefit the next coach of the Nashville Predators."

The team has started its coaching search but announced no timetable on naming Trotz's successor.

"It is most important we get the right individual for our franchise, our team and our community," Poile said. “We will investigate all options in order to identify the best candidate."

Trotz has been with the Predators since the franchise's first game in 1998. He has a record of 557-479-100 with 60 ties in 1,196 games, and 19-31 in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. His teams twice made it past the first round of the playoffs.

Trotz was the longest-tenured coach with one team in the NHL.

"We thank Barry for his many contributions to the Predators organization," Predators chairman Tom Cigarran said. "Barry is an exceptional person and coach. We wish him the very best going forward. We also have great confidence in David Poile's plan. We support this decision, and believe change is necessary if we are to reach our goals."

Predarat 04-14-2014 10:52 AM

Not terribly surprised, its a bit bittersweet, was never a fan of his style, but he is a good coach but a great man and person. He would be great for someone wanting to do a total rebuild, he could build a solid foundation, but once its time to get deep into the playoffs they will probably need someone else. Most likely coming with Trotz will be goal tending coach Mitch Korn, one of the best GK coaches in the business. I wish him nothing but the best unless its head to head against the Preds.

Pushead2 04-14-2014 01:01 PM

He caught a bad wrap with a horrid goalie situation this year, but me personally, I think it's been long overdue.

KC_Lee 04-14-2014 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predarat (Post 10561909)
Not terribly surprised, its a bit bittersweet, was never a fan of his style, but he is a good coach but a great man and person. He would be great for someone wanting to do a total rebuild, he could build a solid foundation, but once its time to get deep into the playoffs they will probably need someone else. Most likely coming with Trotz will be goal tending coach Mitch Korn, one of the best GK coaches in the business. I wish him nothing but the best unless its head to head against the Preds.

Trotz always struck me as the Marty Schottenheimerof the NHL. Could take scraps and squeeze out enough wins to make the playoffs but never really could turn the corner. Relied way too much on D and goalie play and would not know what to do with an offensive player if it landed in his lap.

Solid guy, good but not great coach, but time to move on.

Predarat 04-14-2014 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pushead2 (Post 10562182)
He caught a bad wrap with a horrid goalie situation this year, but me personally, I think it's been long overdue.

I wanted him gone after the playoffs in 2007, but the asshat previous owner tried to sell the team and traded almost all the top 6 forwards, top D men and the starting goalie. In 2008 he took a scrap heap leftover team from that and got them into the playoffs and took the #1 seed Red Wings to game 6. That bought him some time, and I did agree with that. After the Phoenix Playoff Disaster I think his rope got shorter. Hopefully Poiles rope is short too.

OnTheWarpath15 04-15-2014 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 10560921)
From what I'm hearing, everyone should be back Thursday other than Tarasenko, Berglund and Morrow.

Morrow might be done for the playoffs, I've heard broken foot.

Wow, did I get some bad information.

Morrow skated today.

Pasta Little Brioni 04-15-2014 05:36 PM

How long for Berglund?

OnTheWarpath15 04-15-2014 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 10564498)
How long for Berglund?

Morrow was quoted today as saying, "the cavalry is coming."

Hitch said that everyone will be back at some point in the first round.

Sounds like Berglund might be the last one to get cleared.

Pasta Little Brioni 04-15-2014 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 10564520)
Morrow was quoted today as saying, "the cavalry is coming."

Hitch said that everyone will be back at some point in the first round.

Sounds like Berglund might be the last one to get cleared.

I had heard Taresenko had the cast off and is just awaiting clearance. Good news. Hawks are expected to be 100 percent...gonna need them all