ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Geno Smith fans roll call (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263890)

Hammock Parties 12-12-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9203461)
-He has trouble reading complex defenses. What happens when DC's in the NFL throw mixed coverages/blitzes at him?

Will he know what audible to use to counteract what the defense throws at him? Against K State, Texas Tech and TCU he got really confused and struggled mightily against their mixed defenses.

He doesn't understand the X's and O's as well as you would like and he's in the shotgun which gives him more space to see the field. What happens when he's in a passing play under center in the NFL and LB's throw mixed blitzes at him?

The NFL is a chess game. Understanding how to react is a vital part of being an NFL QB.

This is all coachable, you realize?

Geno reacts well to pressure and gets the ball out. He's going to be fine. He was only sacked 17 times.

Hammock Parties 12-12-2012 07:05 PM

SPREAD QBS RARELY TRANSLATE TO THE NFL BROS

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/pa...GIII_Crowd.jpg

milkman 12-12-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

I think some people are clouded by Geno's "wow" throws in college.

There are some serious problems that Geno has IMO.

-He locks onto his 1st read ALL THE TIME. Almost 90% of the time. That is a huge problem. That's not going to work at all in the NFL. Watch tape of him. It's as if he doesn't notice any other receiver but his first read a lot of the time. His eyes are on his 1st read. Think NFL CB's won't notice that?

-He sits in the pocket too long looking for the right play. This goes back to the first point. You can't sit in the pocket for 5 or 6 seconds consistently in the NFL. You'll get sacked.

-He has trouble reading complex defenses. What happens when DC's in the NFL throw mixed coverages/blitzes at him? Will he know what audible to use to counteract what the defense throws at him? Against K State, Texas Tech and TCU he got really confused and struggled mightily against their mixed defenses. He doesn't understand the X's and O's as well as you would like and he's in the shotgun which gives him more space to see the field. What happens when he's in a passing play under center in the NFL and LB's throw mixed blitzes at him?
The NFL is a chess game. Understanding how to react is a vital part of being an NFL QB.

On top of that, he's been in the spread for two years. Yes he did well in his sophomore year, but they still used the shotgun in a lot of situations to maximize his talent.
Spread QB's rarely translate well to the NFL.

People jumped on the Geno bandwagon when he had 24 TD's and 0 INT's. Okay. Who did he play?

Marshall-101st ranked defense out of 120
James Madison-Should they even be considered a defense?
Baylor-119th ranked defense out of 120
Texas-75th ranked defense out of 120

21 of those 24 TD's came against shitty college defenses.

Geno Smith has a tendency to lock on to his primary when he feels he needs to make big plays to keep up.

In most situations, however, he reads the defense and goes through progressions just fine.

This is something I noted a couple of weeks ago, and reinforced by a scouting report that was posted in this thread, or the McShay mock draft thread.

This assertion that he doesn't go through progressions is pure, unmitigated bull.

RunKC 12-12-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9203478)
SPREAD QBS RARELY TRANSLATE TO THE NFL BROS

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/pa...GIII_Crowd.jpg

Geno Smith is not RG3.

RG3 has an incredible football IQ. He wowed everyone at the combine with his X's and O's knowledge.

Hammock Parties 12-12-2012 07:18 PM

Why don't you give Geno a chance to wow some idiots at the combine then?

Just dismissing Geno because he played in the spread is stupid.

The dude is extremely, extremely intelligent, a perfectionist since he was a kid, and that probably translates to football.

Tribal Warfare 12-12-2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9202945)
Bray is way too immature handing him the keys to the franchise would be a huge mistake.

Again, just depends if he decides to get serious about his job which part of the interview process

RunKC 12-12-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9203484)
Geno Smith has a tendency to lock on to his primary when he feels he needs to make big plays to keep up.

In most situations, however, he reads the defense and goes through progressions just fine.

This is something I noted a couple of weeks ago, and reinforced by a scouting report that was posted in this thread, or the McShay mock draft thread.

This assertion that he doesn't go through progressions is pure, unmitigated bull.

I agree with you, though I see him locking onto his 1st read a lot when he's not behind.

I'm not worried about Geno's ability to scramble, throw all the needed throws and make plays.

It's his technique and understanding of the game that has me worried.

RunKC 12-12-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9203515)
Why don't you give Geno a chance to wow some idiots at the combine then?

Just dismissing Geno because he played in the spread is stupid.

The dude is extremely, extremely intelligent, a perfectionist since he was a kid, and that probably translates to football.

That's what I'm waiting for. All we have to go by right now is game tape.

I like Geno. I think he has a ton of potential, but I want to see him prove his football IQ and technique at the combine before I go in full out "draft Geno" mode.

The report from Schefter was that college scouts aren't "completely wowed" by Geno. This is probably because of what I'm stating. His game tape shows flaws that he needs to fix in Indy.

O.city 12-12-2012 07:30 PM

Against the most complex and athletic defense he played all year, OU, he had a great game.

He consistently had/has to put up 50 points.

If his defense gets 1 stop against OU and TCU, we aren't talking about all this.

O.city 12-12-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

I think some people are clouded by Geno's "wow" throws in college.

There are some serious problems that Geno has IMO.

-He locks onto his 1st read ALL THE TIME. Almost 90% of the time. That is a huge problem. That's not going to work at all in the NFL. Watch tape of him. It's as if he doesn't notice any other receiver but his first read a lot of the time. His eyes are on his 1st read. Think NFL CB's won't notice that?

-He sits in the pocket too long looking for the right play. This goes back to the first point. You can't sit in the pocket for 5 or 6 seconds consistently in the NFL. You'll get sacked.

-He has trouble reading complex defenses. What happens when DC's in the NFL throw mixed coverages/blitzes at him? Will he know what audible to use to counteract what the defense throws at him? Against K State, Texas Tech and TCU he got really confused and struggled mightily against their mixed defenses. He doesn't understand the X's and O's as well as you would like and he's in the shotgun which gives him more space to see the field. What happens when he's in a passing play under center in the NFL and LB's throw mixed blitzes at him?

On top of that, he's been in the spread for two years. Yes he did well in his sophomore year, but they still used the shotgun in a lot of situations to maximize his talent.
Spread QB's rarely translate well to the NFL.

People jumped on the Geno bandwagon when he had 24 TD's and 0 INT's. Okay. Who did he play?

Marshall-101st ranked defense out of 120
James Madison-Should they even be considered a defense?
Baylor-119th ranked defense out of 120
Texas-75th ranked defense out of 120

21 of those 24 TD's came against shitty college defenses.

Why do I read all these reports about how he's so great at the X's and O"s?

Bewbies 12-12-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9202917)
FWIW,

Daniel Jeremiah attended the Manning Academy last summer and came away with the opinion that Bray was the best prospect of the bunch. He says good things about the other QB's also (including Barkley and Smith).
http://www.yahoosportsradio.com/unca...academy-29294/

Bray has the physical tools no doubt. None of us will ever get to interview him, talk to people he knows, sit down in a film room with him, know what kind of a leader he is.

All of those things are more important than his arm/accuracy.

If he passed all those tests we'll never see, I'd have no problem drafting him. I'd still prefer Geno Smith though.

hometeam 12-12-2012 07:53 PM

RunKC/blackbob same guy

milkman 12-12-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9203537)
That's what I'm waiting for. All we have to go by right now is game tape.

I like Geno. I think he has a ton of potential, but I want to see him prove his football IQ and technique at the combine before I go in full out "draft Geno" mode.

The report from Schefter was that college scouts aren't "completely wowed" by Geno. This is probably because of what I'm stating. His game tape shows flaws that he needs to fix in Indy.

The fact that he played at a fairly high level as a sophmore in one system, an NFL pro style system, and played at a high level in an entirely different system speaks to his football IQ.

Nightfyre 12-12-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9203524)
I agree with you, though I see him locking onto his 1st read a lot when he's not behind.

I'm not worried about Geno's ability to scramble, throw all the needed throws and make plays.

It's his technique and understanding of the game that has me worried.

You need to quit pulling shit out of your ass. Geno Smith diagnoses a defense AT the line and adjusts his progressions according to what he sees. He's a film room junkie and he has arguably the best technique in this class. His deep ball is as accurate as RGIII and he spins the ball at a ridiculous RPM. You CLEARLY have NO IDEA what you are talking about if you are claiming that his technique and understanding of the game are the issue here.

keg in kc 12-12-2012 09:04 PM

If my first two reads were Miles Austin and Stedman Bailey I'd probably tend to look their way too.