ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

DMAC 06-22-2010 10:47 AM

The Last Castle

Somehow this unknown by me Robert Redford gem fell into my lap.

Freakin awesome... How had I never heard of this one?

Sure-Oz 06-22-2010 11:50 AM

Damnit!!! the road was skipped for 'remember me' it goes from available now to short wait grrr /netflix

pikesome 06-22-2010 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 6836245)
That new Sherlock Holmes movie was lame. Frankly, I don't even know why they called it Sherlock Holmes when it was basically Tony Stark in the Victorian Era with Jude Law in the Pepper Potts role.

I'm glad I didn't see it in the theater, and it was barely worth a rental.

If it didn't have any connection to Holmes it would have been perfectly fine. An OK movie further weakened by a tenuous connection to Holmes.

ThaVirus 06-22-2010 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6835838)
Seriously? Seriously?

Yeah, it's been about a month since I saw it but as I remember I enjoyed it. Vince Vaughn's character is getting pretty stale at this point, but they had several others to lighten his load.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6835838)
**** YOU. Sherlock was already cool.

I've tried to read those Conan Doyle novels but they're boring as shit. I can't even get past the first page..

Reaper16 06-22-2010 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 6836756)

I've tried to read those Conan Doyle novels but they're boring as shit. I can't even get past the first page..

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Ggo9_VVtU0...7974349078.jpg

KcMizzou 06-22-2010 08:12 PM

Wait...

So, I'm watching Amelie (about half-way through...) I take it this was the inspiration for the Travelocity roaming gnome?

KcMizzou 06-22-2010 09:33 PM

"Amelie" was excellent... as I'm sure you've heard. I can cross one off the "films I really need to see" list.

The actress in the title role is just flat out beautiful. And her character adds to it. She's like a little pixie who never lets anything negative slow her down for long. And anyone she interacts with comes out better for having met her...

It's not the type of thing I usually watch, but I'm glad I did.

luv 06-22-2010 09:35 PM

Oh yeah! I watched Book of Eli last weekend. Loved it!

Miles 06-22-2010 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 6837415)
"Amelie" was excellent... as I'm sure you've heard. I can cross one off the "films I really need to see" list.

The actress in the title role is just flat out beautiful. And her character adds to it. She's like a little pixie who never lets anything negative slow her down for long. And anyone she interacts with comes out better for having met her...

It's not the type of thing I usually watch, but I'm glad I did.

It has been a while since I have seen it and probably about due to watch it again.

Outside of Alien Resurrection, Jean-Pierre Jeunet is a damn good director. Delicatessen and City of Lost Children are some great weirdness and A Very Long Engagement (also with Tautou) is also very good.

Miles 06-22-2010 10:16 PM

Just finished October Sky which I hadn't seen since its first release on DVD. Great story.

noa 06-22-2010 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 6837483)
It has been a while since I have seen it and probably about due to watch it again.

Outside of Alien Resurrection, Jean-Pierre Jeunet is a damn good director. Delicatessen and City of Lost Children are some great weirdness and A Very Long Engagement (also with Tautou) is also very good.

I liked Delicatessen. It was really out there, but very entertaining.

Jerm 06-23-2010 05:42 AM

Finally checked out The Road last night...what a depressing, harrowing movie. One of only a handful of movies that gives you a true sense of hopelessness.

Beautifully shot though and done extremely well. Outstanding performance from Viggo.

Reaper16 06-23-2010 01:24 PM

I just watched a great film from 1971 called Walkabout. It is essentially LOST: the movie. A teenage girl and her little brother are taken out to the Australian outback by their father who attempts to kill them. They escape and dad commits suicide. The two are not having a good show of surviving alone on the wilderness when an Aborigine boy, on his rite of passage known as the Walkabout, finds them and helps them survive. This is not a happy movie, though. The lack of communication between them ends up ensuring that, while together, the white kids and the Aborigine kid end up more lost in their lives than ever before. Simple story of desperation and sadness. But the thematic parallels to Lost are many in number: daddy issues, the failure to communicate with the people you're with, surviving in the wilderness together vs dying in it alone, nature as something to protect, hunting as metaphor,fear of the Others, the question of whether or not man is inherently savage, the pitfalls of life in modernity and the possibility of finding yourself out in the wilderness, the desperate need to go "home." Even time; the movie is perhaps not shown in exact chronological order and some scenes might be imagined, even. There are numerous motifs that the film and the show share: a toy airplane, mysterious radio brodcasts, numbers, a team of scientists out in the wild.

I'd recommend this film to everyone, as it is quite good (a part of the Criterion collection and available on Netflix streaming), but especially to fans of Lost.

keg in kc 06-23-2010 01:31 PM

Friend of mine just saw Winter's Bone, winner of the 2010 Sundance Grand Jury Prize. He told me he thought it was this year's Hurt Locker.

Reaper16 06-23-2010 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 6838835)
Friend of mine just saw Winter's Bone, winner of the 2010 Sundance Grand Jury Prize. He told me he thought it was this year's Hurt Locker.

By which you mean this year's best film to come out of America? I'd wager he's right.