ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football "I Was An NFL Player Until I Was Fired By Two Cowards and a Bigot" (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280178)

Baby Lee 07-19-2014 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10754590)
Also, habeas corpus.

I don't think I've been spouting buzz words. But whatever.

You're being very serious, and I have taken a decidedly light tone, because while I do see a difference (maybe no legal difference, I still totally see what Fisher is saying and mostly agree), I don't much care.

To your final point, I kinda like Kluwe, and whether or not he wins in law he absolutely will win in the court of public opinion.

And **** the Vikings.

In this era of constant grievance, tough to tell seriousness from lightheartedness.

Maybe it appears that I'm 'very' serious, but I don't much care what either of them said. But largely don't care. I'm a pretty expansive free-speech type, and I mean that culturally as well as legally, so don't start with '1st Amendment is irrelevant, no one's going to the electric chair' strawman.

But it is irksome to see people spouting legal 'theories' they've barely thought about, let alone studied to be prepared to think about strategically. Kind of like, a licensed electrician doesn't go to Home Depot to be 'outraged.' But if he hears a group of yahoos telling a customer senseless bullshit about how to wire their home in the electrical aisle, he might step in.

Case in point, whether Priefer or Kluwe said something worse has nothing to do with whether or not MN terminated him wrongfully, which is the only pending legal proceeding. But people here argue this like there's an imminent open-court showdown about just that, practically complete with an outline of arguments, an opening statement and anticipatory amicus briefs for appeal.

Sully 07-19-2014 09:57 AM

Hey, here's a can that seems to be full of worms. What happens if I pop the kid off?

There's a pretty reasonable distinction between the Sandusky joke and the homo-hate joke. Yes, they were both pretty distasteful. Yes, they were both painfully un-funny, but a distinction is there (and frankly, it's not too hard to see, unless you don't want to).

In one case, a "class" of people are the butt of the joke. A class of people which may have a member in the audience of said joke. A class that has been (and continues to be) told to shut up, keep your self a secret, and we'll get along fine. The joke tends toward keeping that status quo of keeping that class the outsider. What you do and feel is wrong, and it shouldn't be tolerated!

Guess what, the Sandusky joke does the same. If you're a pedophile, I'm sure it continues the idea that what you do is bad, and shouldn't be tolerated!

The difference is, we are moving toward being ok with homosexuals being on equal footing (in all but procreation ability, don't need the 124th iteration of that Donger debate). I hope that we never move toward acceptance of pedophiles, however. So I (and, I assume, most of society) is probably ok with jokes at their expense.

Of course, it was a terrible unfunny joke, and I'm not even sure if it hit the mark of making fun of pedophiles as much as Penn State fans, and even slightly, victims themselves. But, IMO, that's a matter of execution.

Baby Lee 07-19-2014 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 10754641)
Guess what, the Sandusky joke does the same. If you're a pedophile, I'm sure it continues the idea that what you do is bad, and shouldn't be tolerated!

You think a VICTIM of pedophile rape, or someone close to one, who's wondering what society thinks of their history is unaffected by a locker room laughing about how funny kiddy diddling is?

Sully 07-19-2014 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10754651)
You think a VICTIM of pedophile rape, or someone close to one, who's wondering what society thinks of their history is unaffected by a locker room laughing about how funny kiddy diddling is?

I do
I think the "joke" missed it's mark, which I mentioned.

Just Passin' By 07-19-2014 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10754651)

We seem to be asking non-thinkers to think. That's why their responses are rhetorical and emotive, rather than dialectic and reasoned.

TimBone 07-19-2014 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Fisher (Post 10754539)
"Idiot" and "douchebag"? Are you collecting your insults from a 90's Macaulay Culkin movie?

I learned a long time ago that guys with females in bikinis as avatars on message boards often provide precious little to the conversation, and are most likely frequent masturbators.

ROFL

This dude is great. Can we just award noob of the year to him now?

patteeu 07-19-2014 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10754517)
The difference is was one was most certainly a joke (in poor taste, no doubt, but a joke nonetheless) while the other was said with utmost sincerity.

You believe Priefer literally wanted to gather up the gays on an island and blow them up?

vailpass 07-19-2014 12:45 PM

They should have went full Code Red on this piece of shit punter...

Fire Me Boy! 07-19-2014 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 10754794)
You believe Priefer literally wanted to gather up the gays on an island and blow them up?

I don't know whether he literally wants to put them on an island and blow them up or not. Some people are capable of that feeling, sure.

displacedinMN 07-19-2014 01:05 PM

Twitter conversation between Kluwe and John Kriesel-Gulf war vet, and former state representative.

My commentary-Can anyone have a conversation with a 160 character limit?
Although maybe it is a good thing.

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/...el-trade-barbs

FloridaMan88 07-19-2014 01:27 PM

JFC isn't the 15 minutes up yet for this fame seeking blow hard punter?

displacedinMN 07-19-2014 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 10754829)
JFC isn't the 15 minutes up yet for this fame seeking blow hard punter?

True. That was the angle of the article I posted. He was being called out that he did nothing UNTIL he lost his job.

Kluwe got beat by someone else who has proven himself in the pros. AND Kluwe got beat out in Oakland. Which means he stinks.

Surprised that Priefer kept his job with the new coach. It would have been the best time to clean house and not look like this investigation had anything to do with his release.

This is not a big news maker here. Maybe it will as elections come up, but I don't see it.

So, I agree, I am fine to let it drop.