ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Mad Men (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=231096)

Reaper16 06-05-2013 02:38 PM

I think he's just a gladhanding suckup, willing to trade his sense of shame for climbing the ladder, a new Pete Campbell only without the neurotic ego. Which is to say: the successful wave of the ****ing future.

Thig Lyfe 06-05-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9731130)
I think he's just a gladhanding suckup, willing to trade his sense of shame for climbing the ladder, a new Pete Campbell only without the neurotic ego. Which is to say: the successful wave of the ****ing future.

This is where I am, too, although the inconsistency in the story about his father gives me some pause. Maybe he listens to that new age self-help bullshit to give him confidence as he closes in on nabbing Dick Whitman?

OnTheWarpath15 06-05-2013 02:43 PM

Interesting theory:

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/06/rea...d/#more-262909

underEJ 06-05-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9731145)

HA! from the comments:

"I’m not sure if they can kill of Megan. Isn’t that why they cancelled Luck?"

Reaper16 06-06-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thig Lyfe (Post 9731137)
This is where I am, too, although the inconsistency in the story about his father gives me some pause. Maybe he listens to that new age self-help bullshit to give him confidence as he closes in on nabbing Dick Whitman?

1.) it suggests to me that he's willing to lie about his personal life to move up the ladder. Nothing more (at this time)

2.) I don't even know why there would need to be a government agent out to nab Dick Whitman. Aren't there other, more contemporary draft dodgers and etc. from the Vietnam conflict that they should be focusing on?

siberian khatru 06-06-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Holy crap. That's fascinating. Probably too clever by half, but still.

Reaper16 06-06-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9733105)
Holy crap. That's fascinating. Probably too clever by half, but still.

The implication of that scene is either that:

a.) Megan is already dead, or else Don wouldn't be able to see her as he was drowning

b.) Megan will die in the near future and one's visage at the time of death carries on throughout the afterlife and also your "soul" or whatever exists outside of time, hence Megan's being able to place itself "backwards in time" to talk to Don's "soul."

c.) those totally weren't spirits of Megan and the private from the season premier but just meaningless hallucinations from Don's oxygen-deprived mind; there was no supernatural element introduced to this realist drama.

Probably c.)

Art Vader 06-06-2013 12:25 PM

Pete Campbell hitting the J was a great ending.

Thig Lyfe 06-06-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9733083)
1.) it suggests to me that he's willing to lie about his personal life to move up the ladder. Nothing more (at this time)

2.) I don't even know why there would need to be a government agent out to nab Dick Whitman. Aren't there other, more contemporary draft dodgers and etc. from the Vietnam conflict that they should be focusing on?

Maybe Don has done shit we don't know about!!! What if he worked on a secret ILLEGAL project or something?!!?

Reaper16 06-06-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thig Lyfe (Post 9733150)
Maybe Don has done shit we don't know about!!! What if he worked on a secret ILLEGAL project or something?!!?

Hick: "This is the annual convention of the Illinois branch of the Ku Klux Clan, and we're hap..."

Dick Whitman: "What if you spelled Clan with a K instead of a C? Call your selves the KKK for short? Its catchy."

Hick: "You've got a bright future, young man."

Demonpenz 06-07-2013 08:19 AM

nailed it.

Pitt Gorilla 06-09-2013 01:08 AM

Did you miss the greatest thing ever?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/whitneyjeffe...-greatest-even

Baby Lee 06-09-2013 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9738683)
Did you miss the greatest thing ever?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/whitneyjeffe...-greatest-even

http://www.vulture.com/2013/06/adam-...v-history.html

Baby Lee 06-10-2013 03:31 AM

Mother of ****ing God!

Has any one checked the newswire? I fear G.R.R. Martin might be dead and Matthew Weiner killed him.

****ing out Red Weddinged the ****ing Red Wedding.

That might have been the most perfect hour of television. You wanted it over immediately, and to go back and time and unsee what you saw, and yet never wanted it to end.. Keep going. . . Keep pushing. . . Rip off ALL bandages. . . Burn this ****er down!!

And it came from so many fronts, all presaged by Roger's invocation 'not all surprises are bad.' Slow burn, signs of progress, breakthroughs, reveals, then one rug, then the wrecking ball, then the twin towers fall.

Peggy's little misunderstanding with Pete's doddering mom, thawing the ice with Pete. Ted realizing Peggy still has options. Sally's budding adolescence, with a crush on a new guy marked for slaughter. The war hits home, Don handles it with grace, then oversteps, bringing on Ted's righteous anger, leading to detante and a new understanding and appreciation. Don delivers a genuine life changing blessing to a friend . . . and a lover, and saves his daughter heartache. Through this, Ted endures his wife's dissatisfaction.

Then Pete receives confirmation of his worst fears and fears he didn't even know to fear in one fell swoop. Sally's crush becomes distressingly real. Her father is unambiguously unmasked. The realities of all Don's life's choices hit home at once [and to paraphrase the words of Barry Zuckercorn, 'those were balls.' Balls presaged IRL in the gossip pages before the season started]. Pete is alone, without sustenance, with a lot of knowledge he never wanted. Sally is crushed and unmoored, unaware of the good surrounding the bad she's witnessed. Don faces the admiration and gratitude of all except the only female that matters in the end, in her presence no less.

And in the end, Ted proves to be everything his wife desires while she sleeps feet away with a novel on her chest.

That is Shakespearean shit, people. That is not TV, it's not HBO, it's Matthew ****ing Weiner.

Hallelujah!! And Holy Shit!! Where's the scotch?

EDIT: And another stinger, last time we heard "not all surprises are bad?" When Don told Sally that, when Betty was pregnant with her, they thought she'd be a boy.

siberian khatru 06-10-2013 06:52 AM

It was a fantastic episode -- right down to the Moshe Dayan poster. I LOL'd while also wondering WTF.

Oh, and Bob confirmed my suspicions. EDIT: Actually, only that he's willing to play for both teams. I'm still not sure exactly what game Bob is playing.