ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Mike and Mike Talking about Geno going #1 overall (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271175)

philfree 03-21-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 9518366)
Word going around here today in Jax on the radio is that the Jags are interested in Geno but don't want to tip their hat. If they look at all interested, another team may jump them and make a deal w/the Chiefs!

Good luck with that.

BigChiefFan 03-21-2013 01:17 PM

I still think we draft Geno. Why wouldn't we? Because of Alex Smith? He's on a two year deal. Now is the time to draft our QBOTF.

MDHQ 03-21-2013 01:20 PM

If Geno goes 1, then someone traded up

philfree 03-21-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefFan (Post 9518513)
I still think we draft Geno. Why wouldn't we? Because of Alex Smith? He's on a two year deal. Now is the time to draft our QBOTF.

I'm all for it but I'll believe it when I see it. So up until the draft I'm going to play the trade down scenario game. :shrug:

Rausch 03-21-2013 01:26 PM

I have semi-rubbery dreams about busting on a 1st round QB...

BigChiefFan 03-21-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9518528)
I'm all for it but I'll believe it when I see it. So up until the draft I'm going to play the trade down scenario game. :shrug:

Understood, but long-term the wise move is to draft and develop Geno. The only other justifed player would be Star at number one, IMO. With the new CBA we would prudent to make our move now.

DaneMcCloud 03-21-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefFan (Post 9518541)
Understood, but long-term the wise move is to draft and develop Geno. The only other justifed player would be Star at number one, IMO. With the new CBA we would prudent to make our move now.

What's forgotten around here with the " New CBA" garbage is that's also more feasible and less expensive to draft EVERY position, whether DE, DT, CB, Safety, WR, LT, etc.

BigChiefFan 03-21-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9518552)
What's forgotten around here with the " New CBA" garbage is that's also more feasible and less expensive to draft EVERY position, whether DE, DT, CB, Safety, WR, LT, etc.

Yep, BUT QB supercedes all positions in order of importance.

DaneMcCloud 03-21-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefFan (Post 9518557)

Bullshit, especially in this draft.

There is not a single, immediate, franchise changing QB in this draft. Teams need to get immediate impact players with their first round selections, let alone the #1 overall pick in the draft.

Look at how the Chiefs ****ed up their 2009 and 2011 drafts for proof. Instead of a guy like Orapko or Harvin or Maclin or Cushing or Matthews and so on, the Chiefs waited around for 4 years on Tyson Jackson and all they got was a part-time player.

In 2011, they passed on Dalton and Kaepernick but were "rewarded" with Jonathan Baldwin instead. How's that worked out?

If the #1 overall pick needs to "develop" on the bench for a season or two before he's ready to start, that player is unworthy of the #1 overall pick. That's a ****ing waste of resources, not to mention the fact that contracts are only four years long, unless after the second season, you decide to pick up the option for a fifth year.

What team in their right mind is going to sit a player for two years, then decide to pick up the option for a fifth when they've been incapable of starting for TWO YEARS?

philfree 03-21-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefFan (Post 9518541)

If we're not taking a QB we have got to move that #1 pick. There is no other player at any other position that's worth it. Take Geno or wheel and deal.

BigCatDaddy 03-21-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefFan (Post 9518557)

BINGO! And there is only 1 spot on the field for them. You cant slide them to RT or G or play them at a 3rd or 4th, nickelback, or spot duty as a backup RB. So it was super risky before where as now they are much more expendable (See Jax).

Buckweath 03-21-2013 02:13 PM

Drafting Geno would be brilliant. You need great QB play to win big in this league and having Alex and Geno would greatly increase our chances of having great QB play for the next decade.

I reckon it will be Geno at #1 or a trade down, the latter being more likely.

Rausch 03-21-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckweath (Post 9518648)
Drafting Geno would be brilliant.

It would be.

All these offseason moves alone have the fanbase exited.

You take the no 1 QB prospect and allow him to compete this fanbase would go pure reeruned-nuts...

BossChief 03-21-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9518577)

There is not a single, immediate, franchise changing QB in this draft. Teams need to get immediate impact players with their first round selections, let alone the #1 overall pick in the draft.

Look at how the Chiefs ****ed up their 2009 and 2011 drafts for proof. Instead of a guy like Orapko or Harvin or Maclin or Cushing or Matthews and so on, the Chiefs waited around for 4 years on Tyson Jackson and all they got was a part-time player.

In 2011, they passed on Dalton and Kaepernick but were "rewarded" with Jonathan Baldwin instead. How's that worked out?

If the #1 overall pick needs to "develop" on the bench for a season or two
before he's ready to start, that player is unworthy of the #1 overall pick. That's a ****ing waste of resources, not to mention the fact that contracts are only four years long, unless after the second season, you decide to pick up the option for a fifth year.

What team in their right mind is going to sit a player for two years, then decide to pick up the option for a fifth when they've been incapable of starting for TWO YEARS?

What's the difference between that and what teams used to invest in quarterbacks drafted in the teens that would get that much money?

The risk to reward ratio for drafting Geno is 5 fold better than drafting any other position.

The upside is having a franchise quarterback for 13-15 years...the downside is no worse than drafting another position.

The Franchise 03-21-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9518577)

If the #1 overall pick needs to "develop" on the bench for a season or two before he's ready to start, that player is unworthy of the #1 overall pick. That's a ****ing waste of resources, not to mention the fact that contracts are only four years long, unless after the second season, you decide to pick up the option for a fifth year.

Hindsight is 20/20. Not one person talked about Harvin, Cushing, Maclin or Matthews at #3 the year we drafted Tyson Jackson.