ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football New safety rule proposal for NFL RBs. Emmitt Smith says NFL has lost its mind (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271172)

Earthling 03-17-2013 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMc (Post 9507702)
eliminate helmets altogether. You don't see this head as a weapon shit in rugby because people tend to be protective of their heads. Give a guy a helmet, whether he's on a bicycle, skiing, playing football or whatever, and he suddenly thinks he's invincible.

This. :thumb:

jAZ 03-17-2013 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9507761)
One of the doctors involved in the Boston U. study that helped get the ball rolling on all of this has already said kids under 14 shouldn't play football.

I was at a summer camp fair today and was going from table to table. I walked by the football league table and started talking to the guy getting information and realized that I wasn't planning on introducing football to my son and had no reason to to talking to him. So I started getting impatient and looking around to see if my son was going to wander over and start asking about it.

I'm genuinely disappointed as a father because I have always planned to coach my son in little league football. But that's not going to happen. Basketball it is.

acesn8s 03-17-2013 08:07 AM

If the NFL really wanted to stop the players from using the crown of their helmet they should have the players wear the same head gear as boxers. It will prevent the jaw from having the side to side action that causes unconsciousness from severe blows. Additionally, the tops are exposed to discourage the players from dropping their head.

notorious 03-17-2013 08:18 AM

Wow, kids are getting concussions in Pop-Warner? WTF?

I have been involved in some fairly massive shots through Jr High and HS, (giving and receiving) and never got a concussion. I guess I am just lucky.

Easy 6 03-17-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMc (Post 9507702)
eliminate helmets altogether. You don't see this head as a weapon shit in rugby because people tend to be protective of their heads. Give a guy a helmet, whether he's on a bicycle, skiing, playing football or whatever, and he suddenly thinks he's invincible.

But then it would become rugby, and this isn't rugby.

Valiant 03-17-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9508348)
But then it would become rugby, and this isn't rugby.

Really? Were we advocating getting rid of passing and all the other aspects? Football here originally used leather, it would be going back to its roots if anything and making the game safer..

Mav 03-17-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9508056)

I have been involved in some fairly massive shots through Jr High and HS, (giving and receiving) and never got a concussion. I guess I am just lucky.

Yeah. I thought the same thing. in high school, i was the gunner on punts, i was the wheel on kickoffs, i set crack downs on lbs, i dont ever recall getting a concussion. Saw stars a couple times. shrugs....who knows

Easy 6 03-17-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 9508354)
Really? Were we advocating getting rid of passing and all the other aspects? Football here originally used leather, it would be going back to its roots if anything and making the game safer..

I bet if you polled all active players, this idea would die a miserable death.

To look at just one aspect of the game, imagine O lines vs D lines... it would look ridiculous, just a big, slow rugby scrum.

It would completely change the game I love most, and i'll never be sold on that idea.

BlackHelicopters 03-17-2013 11:22 AM

Didn't know Smith could put together a complete sentence.

jAZ 03-17-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9508056)

You've never been diagnosed. And as a kid, how would you ever self diagnose. Perhaps it's more likely to happen now than in the past.

jAZ 03-17-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith Fan (Post 9508365)
Yeah. I thought the same thing. in high school, i was the gunner on punts, i was the wheel on kickoffs, i set crack downs on lbs, i dont ever recall getting a concussion. Saw stars a couple times. shrugs....who knows

I remember doing a drill in 7th Grade where each player stood in the center of a circle of other players and the coach would call out a player number who would rush in and try to level the person at the middle. That person would get slammed good each time often without having any idea where the hit was coming from. I guess the point was to develop improved awareness and to learn to take hits.

In the end, it played a role in my choosing not to keep playing football in HS. It also seems like, looking back, exactly the kind of drill the may have left kids with concussions that we never knew about.

Mav 03-17-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9508430)
I remember doing a drill in 7th Grade where each player stood in the center of a circle of other players and the coach would call out a player number who would rush in and try to level the person at the middle. That person would get slammed good each time often without having any idea where the hit was coming from. I guess the point was to develop improved awareness and to learn to take hits.

In the end, it played a role in my choosing not to keep playing football in HS. It also seems like, looking back, exactly the kind of drill the may have left kids with concussions that we never knew about.

Bull in the ring. Yup. Remember that one.

TribalElder 03-17-2013 11:39 AM

Emmit smith must be suffering the effects of using the crown of his helmet during his career. This sounds like a great idea NFL

Not

This rule fails at life. Keep ****ing with the rules and soon it will be so pussified nobody will be interested anymore.

Brock 03-17-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9508430)

ROFL what a pussy.

hometeam 03-17-2013 11:49 AM

This change wont happen, they are proposing it so that they can say they did. Anyone can see that it cannot pass and allow the game to remain even closely the same.