ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Small, possibly misguided, rant... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268845)

DJ's left nut 01-13-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 9314753)
So what is your idea to help eliminate TO on a FG.

Don't worry about it.

It fails as often as it succeeds and doing so gives the FG kicker a free practice shot.

It doesn't need an idea because it isn't a problem.

KChiefer 01-13-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unothadeal (Post 9314738)
He could make the practice kick but that's no guarantee he'll make two in a row.

Well sure, but you can at least see if he can get it there. If he can, you try that instead of a hail mary. Hell, maybe a defender goes full reerun and runs into the kicker

Demonpenz 01-13-2013 03:53 PM

when teams are running out the clock I like trying for the DT to swipe at the ball to try to get a fumbled snap. At worse it is delay of game.

DJ's left nut 01-13-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9314749)
What I'm talking about is, rather than limiting yourself to sideline routes on that play where he hit the short pass that set them up at the 48, I use the middle of the field to give my team a better chance to get into more favorable FG range.

Oh I agree, I think the Seahawks dicked that up. I think they should've fired over the middle and the WR could've given himself up and called a TO in the same move.

A 6 yard out pattern didn't do them much good. I was really surprised to see that they didn't hit Miller in the seam after he spent as much time open in that game as he did.

Fairplay 01-13-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9314756)
Don't worry about it.

It fails as often as it succeeds and doing so gives the FG kicker a free practice shot.

It doesn't need an idea because it isn't a problem.

I'll accept that.

GloryDayz 01-13-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 9314596)
Like I said, I'm all for not "icing" in the NFL. I think it's worthless.
I just don't think, if a coach tries it, the kicker should get a free shot.

Or call the TO long before the snap...

But it's a bundle of sticks move in the first place, so I think the kickers are starting to miss them just to play with the other sideline when the come back and nail the kick anyway.

But if we're going to fix the rule, the fix it for good.. Specifically ALLOW the kickers to kick a few practice kicks in the TO and that'll fix the bundle of sticks move once and for all...

KChiefer 01-13-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 9314753)
So what is your idea to help eliminate TO on a FG.

Send a video of today's game to every coach in the NFL. If they keep doing it, they deserve to lose and/or get fired.

DJ's left nut 01-13-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 9314766)
Or call the TO long before the snap...

But it's a pillowbiter move in the first place, so I think the kickers are starting to miss them just to play with the other sideline when the come back and nail the kick anyway.

But if we're going to fix the rule, the fix it for good.. Specifically ALLOW the kickers to kick a few practice kicks in the TO and that'll fix the pillowbiter move once and for all...

It's not playstation.

If a kicker ever misses a kick on purpose, he's a moron. There is so much muscle memory involved that it's insane to try to tinker with it to intentionally miss a kick.

Bryant simply yacked the kick but when he saw what it did, he was able to make an immediate adjustment and try again.

The 'ice' backfired perfectly on Carrol there and that is the 'market' solution to the icing attempts. And ultimately I think the fact that so many coaches have stopped doing them suggests that they're figuring this out as well.

KChiefer 01-13-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9314764)
Oh I agree, I think the Seahawks dicked that up. I think they should've fired over the middle and the WR could've given himself up and called a TO in the same move.

A 6 yard out pattern didn't do them much good. I was really surprised to see that they didn't hit Miller in the seam after he spent as much time open in that game as he did.

ATL was likely defending against just that. Wilson did not have time to let someone work their way open. He HAD to take what was there and take it asap.

Sully 01-13-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9314782)
In looking at the Avs' schedule, it looks like they went with this general structure:

48 total games
Divisional teams - 4 or 5 games
Conference teams - 3 games
Non-conference teams - none

It's a little odd to have so many unbalanced matchups in terms of home team, but probably nothing they could've done about that.

But are they gonna use their time out prior to penalty shots?

DaFace 01-13-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 9314791)
But are they gonna use their time out prior to penalty shots?

Yeah, screwed that up. I have magic mod powers, though, so it's now in its proper place.

milkman 01-13-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefer (Post 9314775)
ATL was likely defending against just that. Wilson did not have time to let someone work their way open. He HAD to take what was there and take it asap.

If they are defending against that, then there has to be a deeper sidline route available.

Either way, that situation was mismanaged badly.

KChiefer 01-13-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9314805)
If they are defending against that, then there has to be a deeper sidline route available.

Either way, that situation was mismanaged badly.

Fair enough. It was definitely a waste of time for the receiver to be running latterly to get out of bounds when they had two(one?) timeouts.

DJ's left nut 01-13-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefer (Post 9314775)

It looked to me like they had 2 guys defending the flats. And you know they had an extra guy or two deep.

Unless they managed a 12th guy on that field, there had to be an open zone somewhere.

Whether it was a bad playcall or a poor decision by Wilson, I refuse to believe that a 4 yard dump when a defender was in the immediate vicinity was the best he could do. Ultimately I wonder if perhaps he panicked a little and got the ball out sooner than he needed to because he was worried about having the clock run out on him again like at the end of the first half.

I'm more inclined to say that was a rookie hiccup than that bad a playcall.

htismaqe 01-13-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9314774)
It's not playstation.

If a kicker ever misses a kick on purpose, he's a moron. There is so much muscle memory involved that it's insane to try to tinker with it to intentionally miss a kick.

Bryant simply yacked the kick but when he saw what it did, he was able to make an immediate adjustment and try again.

The 'ice' backfired perfectly on Carrol there and that is the 'market' solution to the icing attempts. And ultimately I think the fact that so many coaches have stopped doing them suggests that they're figuring this out as well.

This.

I was listening to it on the radio. When the Falcons didn't center the ball, the DialGlobal guys called it. They both said "just watch, he's gonna pull this ball right and miss it".

Totally surreal.

Pete Carroll is a moron.