ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink ALDI (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=315797)

BWillie 06-14-2018 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 13592194)
What the heck happened to this place? When I was growing up, ALDI was the place where poor people went to purchase poor-people food.

Now, ALDI is the place where just about everyone goes to get high-quality groceries for reasonable prices. It's crazy. I'm not even sure the uber poor shop there any longer. Everything is organic and the meats and cheeses are outstanding. Hell, they don't even sell bologna. How did such a massive transition occur?

I recall when I was younger the stench of the bums that used to sit in front and shop at that place. Apparently they've now found their niche, though. They have some decent stuff. Trying to be like trader joes I think.

AndChiefs 06-14-2018 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cornstock (Post 13592199)
I hate it. They just opened one up near me, but I'll go to HEB til I die vs this place.

First of all you have to pay for carts with quarters. I don't trust their generics compared to HEB (Texas's equivalent to Hy-Vee, no affiliation). They have knock off beer... knock off Samuel Adams and Shiner Bock...wtf. Just not my thing.

Yeah, there's not much there that I've found i want to get. HEB for basically all my shopping.

GloucesterChief 06-14-2018 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndChiefs (Post 13593198)
Yeah, there's not much there that I've found i want to get. HEB for basically all my shopping.

Great things at aldi:

Frozen Spaetzle
Bratwurst from Germany.
Specially Selected cheese particularly: Butterkase, Smoked Gouda, Edam, and aged white chedder.
German Chocolate
'European collection' cookies
Cook House taco simmer sauce
Cook House enchilada sauce

BryanBusby 06-14-2018 05:00 PM

I remember buying some Garlic Parm wing sauce the list time I went to an Aldi's.

It smelled weird and looked like a disease. I did not use the sauce.

SAUTO 06-14-2018 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cornstock (Post 13592199)
I hate it. They just opened one up near me, but I'll go to HEB til I die vs this place.

First of all you have to pay for carts with quarters. I don't trust their generics compared to HEB (Texas's equivalent to Hy-Vee, no affiliation). They have knock off beer... knock off Samuel Adams and Shiner Bock...wtf. Just not my thing.

you don't pay anything for using the cart

BryanBusby 06-14-2018 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 13593303)
you don't pay anything for using the cart

Yeah, what a silly thing to whine about.

How dare they make sure people don't abandon their carts like lazy assholes, so they can bash into vehicles.

SAUTO 06-14-2018 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13592752)
They've set up a pretty decent distribution network and everything.

I'd probably shop there if it weren't a 30 mile round trip.

Nearest to me is double that round trip

I still go when im that way

SAUTO 06-14-2018 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13593310)
Yeah, what a silly thing to whine about.

How dare they make sure people don't abandon their carts like lazy assholes, so they can bash into vehicles.

Saves them paying a cart guy too.

BryanBusby 06-14-2018 06:08 PM

I hate going through the Lake Winnebageo speedtrap, so I generally don't go much.

Monkey God 06-14-2018 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13593187)
I recall when I was younger the stench of the bums that used to sit in front and shop at that place. Apparently they've now found their niche, though. They have some decent stuff. Trying to be like trader joes I think.

That is because Aldi is the parent company of Trader Joe's.

Monkey God 06-14-2018 06:14 PM

I didn't use to be a fan, but since the redo company wide I do most of my shopping there. There are some things you can't find there but no big deal I have other markets to pick up those things. I tend to shop at two/three places anyway each week. I have found their sauces/marinades are great as well as some of the specialty spice blends. The pre seasoned/marinaded meats are good and a quick fix to grab and grill on a busy day.

Valiant 06-14-2018 06:49 PM

They use to sell really good computers during the holidays about 15 years ago.

I miss the yellow wall of food.

banecat 06-14-2018 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13593325)
I hate going through the Lake Winnebageo speedtrap, so I generally don't go much.

That's the worst. I've been lucky enough to not get caught there yet. But I've lost track of how many people that I know that are not so lucky

BryanBusby 06-14-2018 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banecat (Post 13593404)
That's the worst. I've been lucky enough to not get caught there yet. But I've lost track of how many people that I know that are not so lucky

One of my friends nearly lost their license because they apparently thought the town doesn't speed trap there every single day.

Jewish Rabbi 06-14-2018 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holladay (Post 13592638)
My wife is German. She loves it. Aldi is the only store that Walmart is afraid of.

Their quality has gotten much better. We are selective in what we buy.

Bottom line = $100 at Walmart is maybe coupla bags...Aldi a whole cart.

Aldi isn’t even the grocery chain that Wal-Mart fears most.