ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Debate about the use of frequent emergency alerts sent to cell phones (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=281574)

TLO 02-19-2014 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas (Post 10441272)
seems like the more alerts people get they end up turning the alert feature off. I don't see how constant alerts are effective if people are turning them off. right?

I don't know man. I'm just angry about the situation, not really the people complaining about getting all the texts.

Sorry for my all caps rage.

Bugeater 02-19-2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 10441292)
Do some research, figure out how to solve the problem if it bothers you so much and it stops you from using your phone. People will bitch about anything.

Yeah, I'm totally sure you have never complained about anything in your life and have always solved all of your problems completely on your own. If only the rest of the world could be as awesome as Big Smoke.

DaFace 02-19-2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 10441292)
Do some research, figure out how to solve the problem if it bothers you so much and it stops you from using your phone. People will bitch about anything.

Again, this isn't a discussion about whether or not people should be irritated. From a systems standpoint, you can't control that. The question is how the system could be improved so that fewer people are irritated.

-King- 02-19-2014 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 10441215)
he had his phone off and they all came through at once im betting...

if so it makes his bitching seem even more silly...

No my phone hasn't been off in a few days.

And I can confirm it isn't just my mobile provider that was getting the texts so frequently.
Posted via Mobile Device

wazu 02-19-2014 11:38 AM

Yesterday evening I received two alerts 30 minutes apart, then this morning I got two at the exact same time. A grand total of four messages on my phone. The ones this morning were almost certainly a mistake since it was all over by then. This is with an iPhone on AT&T.

SAUTO 02-19-2014 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10441308)
No my phone hasn't been off in a few days
Posted via Mobile Device

well for some reason you got all the texts at once, probably should be complaining about your provider and not the alerts

Molitoth 02-19-2014 11:40 AM

One Amber Alert is fine.
I read it and kept it in mind. (although I was already in for the night).

After a few more alerts and my wife getting woke up from one, she demanded I turn them off. So I did. No more Amber Alerts to my phone.

TLO 02-19-2014 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 10441303)
Yeah, I'm totally sure you have never complained about anything in your life and have always solved all of your problems completely on your own. If only the rest of the world could be as awesome as Big Smoke.

Whatever. I've stated that I'm angry about the situation, not about the people bitching about the number of texts they've received.

Eleazar 02-19-2014 11:42 AM

It's not unbelievable that someone would ask the question, "Does sending out frequent messages cause a lot of people to turn the messages off, thereby reducing the effectiveness of the messages?". Jeez.

Bugeater 02-19-2014 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 10441321)
Whatever. I've stated that I'm angry about the situation, not about the people bitching about the number of texts they've received.

Well you are in the wrong thread then. This is the thread for either bitching about the number of texts sent out, or bitching about the people who are bitching about the number of texts sent out, or bitching about the people who are bitching about the people who are bitching about the number of texts sent out.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 02-19-2014 11:46 AM

It's not like someone complaining about wanting a lathered mob to rip his liver out. Most understand the sentiment.

Rain Man 02-19-2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 10441288)
See parable: "The Boy who Cried Wolf"

I would find wolf alerts to be quite valuable.

TLO 02-19-2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 10441331)
Well you are in the wrong thread then. This is the thread for either bitching about the number of texts sent out, or bitching about the people who are bitching about the number of texts sent out, or bitching about the people who are bitching about the people who are bitching about the number of texts sent out.

Fair enough.

WakkaWakka 02-19-2014 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 10441270)
I'M NOT SURE EVERYONE IS AWARE THAT YOU CAN DO THAT. DID THAT THOUGHT EVER CROSS YOUR MIND? USE YOUR GODDAMN BRAIN, IT'S NOT THAT DIFFICULT.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Turn+off+Amber+...+on+cell+phone

Johnny Vegas 02-19-2014 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 10441327)
It's not unbelievable that someone would ask the question, "Does sending out frequent messages cause a lot of people to turn the messages off, thereby reducing the effectiveness of the messages?". Jeez.

exactly. people are just going to turn off the alerts thus making the whole amber alert system counter-productive to its meaningful use. there should be alert system no doubt. Maybe they should add a check-in feature to tell the app you've acknowledged the alert so it won't continue to annoy you or others.