ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Your CBS playoff system. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=175748)

Ultra Peanut 12-01-2007 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius
I'd go with the winner of each of the 6 major conferences, let each of those figure out how they want to chose their winner. Then toss in 2 from the mid-major conferences, again, let them figure out which two they pick. There isn't really a need for Wild Cards, and this takes some writer/coach who has never seen team X play completely out of the picture.

That could also work. Say,

Ohio State
LSU
Virginia Tech
USC
Oklahoma
West Virginia
Hawaii
BYU

Ta-da. At least then you've got the 8-best conference champions with an actual chance, and everyone else can play in their own happy little Cotton/Holiday/Meineke Car Care/Armed Forces Bowls.

Quote:

Hawaii students aren't going to Florida.
Yeah. Florida has trouble filling the seats when they're playing buy games, right? They'd DEFINITELY struggle to sell tickets to the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP PLAYOFFS.

dirk digler 12-01-2007 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco
It's the money. You aren't going to full the seats in a 12 team playoff. Hawaii students aren't going to Florida. It wouldn't be able to support on the expectations. 4-8 teams with a shortened season is the best you can do and still maybe keep it profitable from the roota to the toota.

BS. They would make a ton more money with a playoff system because the TV rights would be HUGE for this. It would dwarf what they currently have now.

Coach 12-01-2007 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultra Peanut

Ohio State
LSU
Virginia Tech
USC
Oklahoma
West Virginia
Hawaii
BYU

Ta-da.

The problem is though, what about Conference USA? Or the Mid-American Confernece? Mountain West?

If we were to take all the conferences in the D-I level, that is 11 teams total.

morphius 12-01-2007 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler
Yep and I would use the top 4 bowl games as playoff games and have a Final Four type venue for the championship

I can't decided if the final 4 idea is a good one or a bad one.

Garcia Bronco 12-01-2007 11:38 PM

Quote:

Ohio State
LSU
Virginia Tech
USC
Oklahoma
West Virginia
Hawaii
BYU

Ta-da. At least then you've got the 8-best conference champions with an actual chance, and everyone else can play in their own happy little Cotton/Holiday/Meineke Car Care/Armed Forces Bowls.

Yeah. Florida has trouble filling the seats when they're playing buy games, right? They'd DEFINITELY struggle to sell tickets to the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP PLAYOFFS.

They why bother playing Hawaii at all. They don't bring anything to the table.

Ultra Peanut 12-01-2007 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach
The problem is though, what about Conference USA? Or the Mid-American Confernece? Mountain West?

I'd rather have representation from every conference, but 8 would be fine if it allowed for the best two non-BCS conference champions to have a shot, too.

Also, C-USA was terrible this year.

morphius 12-01-2007 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach

If we were to take all the conferences in the D-I level, that is 11 teams total.

That is my, let the mid majors figure out which 2 they are going to send. It is up to them to decide how and who.

Coach 12-01-2007 11:39 PM

Quote:

I'd rather have representation from every conference, but 8 would be fine if it allowed for the best two non-BCS conference champions to have a shot, too.

Also, C-USA was terrible this year.

As terrible as they have been, they do have a conference championship game that they play.

So seems to be fair to me that whoever wins that conference championship should have all the right to join in the playoff format.

Ultra Peanut 12-01-2007 11:40 PM

Quote:

So earning a shot means nothing to you?

I'm not talking about Hawaii in particular, because anyone who needs overtime to beat San Jose State is obviously not a complete team, but what about 13-0 Auburn in 2004? What did they do wrong?

Garcia Bronco 12-01-2007 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler
BS. They would make a ton more money with a playoff system because the TV rights would be HUGE for this. It would dwarf what they currently have now.

You still can't have the students playing that many games. 13 should be the most and 14 the max.

morphius 12-01-2007 11:40 PM

Quote:

Simple, everyone loves to see Cinderella get her chance.

Ultra Peanut 12-01-2007 11:41 PM

Quote:

That is my, let the mid majors figure out which 2 they are going to send. It is up to them to decide how and who.

No, that's unnecessary and leads to crazy politicking amongst conferences that don't care about the others. Just state that the 8 highest-ranked teams who are conference champions earn spots in the playoffs.

Garcia Bronco 12-01-2007 11:42 PM

Quote:

Simple, everyone loves to see Cinderella get her chance.

Not the people that get the money

Ultra Peanut 12-01-2007 11:42 PM

Quote:

You still can't have the students playing that many games. 13 should be the most and 14 the max.

What makes 15 games more egregious than 14?

dirk digler 12-01-2007 11:42 PM

Quote:

I agree they need to shorten the season. Have only 10 game seasons and the most the championship teams would play would be 13.