ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   5000 Completions!! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=154881)

DomerNKC 12-21-2006 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan
And got choked in SB's. 55-10 to Mr. Montana.

fyp

Halfcan 12-21-2006 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DomerNKC
you are wrong on the heart of Montana. Montana did not have the arm of most of the top 30 qb's of all time, but he had more heart than most of them. With all due respect halfcan, stick to what made you famous...YouTube - Rush 2112

Compared to Marino? Dan the man used to fire his team up like no other-the guy had the heart of a lion. He came back from a knee injury that would have ended most QB's career.

Steve Young was a better all around QB than Montana. That guy was a warrior.

milkman 12-21-2006 11:19 PM

Quote:

If you want to talk about pure talent-how can Slingin Sammy Baugh be off your guys list.

He won Championships, held 11 passing records, plus played Punter and Cornerback. In 1943 led the league in passing, punting and interceptions-a triple crown.

His 51.4 punting average is still a record plus he complete 70 percent of his passes in 45. QBs were not pampered like they are today.

Montana never did that.

And Baugh played in an era when the forward pass was still a relatively novel idea, and few teams utilized it to the same extent.

Defenses weren't as complex as they are today.

milkman 12-21-2006 11:20 PM

Quote:

Compared to Marino? Dan the man used to fire his team up like no other-the guy had the heart of a lion. He came back from a knee injury that would have ended most QB's career.

You really are a freakin' moron.

DomerNKC 12-21-2006 11:22 PM

Quote:

Was marino beaten by Mr. Montana in the superbowl too? Knee injury< back injury. Steve Young needed an injury to take joes job. After Joe came back, Young brought a better team into Arrowhead and was still the second best quarterback in the stadium.

Halfcan 12-21-2006 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John
A quarterback in 1943 would be lucky to make the practice squad in 2006. They drew plays in the dirt back then. They install offenses in the offseason now.

You might as well be comparing a rugby player to a football player. You're practically talking about different sports when you compare the pre-superbowl era players to the post-superbowl era, especially when you start throwing punting records into the mix.

God love 'em for paving the way. But it's a different sport now.

All if that is true but does that make worse players. Those guys played with broken bones, got clotheslined, had their knees taken out.

Sammy paved the way for the modern passing era-yet is forgotten.

Broadway Joe-nerves of steel

Johnny Unitas-probably the biggest heart of all

Lenny the Cool-way underestimated for his acuracy and leadership. Does pretty good on the news too-lol

PastorMikH 12-21-2006 11:24 PM

Say Half, whatever happened between you and the friend?

Halfcan 12-21-2006 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman
You really are a freakin' moron.

Must have fogotten Montana had the benefit of the best defense in the NFL, best WR ever, huge O-line, and a devasting Special teams.

What did Marino have. The Marks brothers, no running game, and a shitty D.

007 12-21-2006 11:29 PM

NO. He probably just lost me my second post season game in a row too. Sure hope I can find a good off season free-agent to replace him with in my keeper league without breaking my bank.

KurtCobain 12-21-2006 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John
It's not like I'm sitting here clueless as to where Elway fits in NFL history.

You mean after the greats such as Grbac and Huard?

Farve's in my top 7. Elway's in my top 15. Go figure.

And Montana was the best IMO. Marino was shit compared to Joe Montana. Hell, Brady sits higher than Marino. Dumbass choked every damn season.

milkman 12-21-2006 11:35 PM

Quote:

Must have fogotten Montana had the benefit of the best defense in the NFL, best WR ever, huge O-line, and a devasting Special teams.

All of that is true.

But Montana was something special.

I actually thought much the same way as you in the Marino-Montana debate, but then he took a sorry ass group of players wearing the red and gold to the AFC championship game, winning in the clutch a couple of times making plays in the passing game with receivers like Willie freakin' Davis, and I realized that Montana raised the level of play around him like no other QB could.

Marino did as well, but not not nearly as much as Montana did.

DomerNKC 12-21-2006 11:37 PM

Quote:

Montana won 2 superbowls before he had any of these things.

tk13 12-21-2006 11:41 PM

Montana had a great team, but he was the type of guy that made everybody around him better. He almost turned Marty Schottenheimer into a winner, that should end the argument right there. Without Montana, Marty literally wouldn't have anything to hang his hat on in the last 20 years since the fumble. If I had one game to win, he'd be my QB.

2112 12-21-2006 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13
If I had one game to win, he'd be my QB.

Agreed..that should be all!!

Halfcan 12-21-2006 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman
All of that is true.

But Montana was something special.

I actually thought much the same way as you in the Marino-Montana debate, but then he took a sorry ass group of players wearing the red and gold to the AFC championship game, winning in the clutch a couple of times making plays in the passing game with receivers like Willie freakin' Davis, and I realized that Montana raised the level of play around him like no other QB could.

Marino did as well, but not not nearly as much as Montana did.

Montana had it all, no doubt about it. Marino had below average talent his whole career-and obliterated every record. If Marino had managed to win a SB-people would not shit on him so bad.