ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Wheelchair user taken on wild 50-mph ride (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=164174)

Radar Chief 06-07-2007 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz
could a wheelchair handle 70 rpms for 4 miles on a rough asphalt road?

i wouldn't think so

unless it sort of lifted him off the ground when the truck raise up at the higher speed. I suppose he could of been carrying instead of pushed.

70 RPM’s isn’t much, but my calculations weren’t correct.
+250K RPM’s is a shit ton. I’d be amazed if the bearings survived that.

Radar Chief 06-07-2007 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia
I wasn't intending to come off as a prick. I figured we've known each other long enough that I didn't have to sugar-coat it.

It's cool. You were absolutely right.

The Franchise 06-07-2007 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man
And the guy's not wearing shoes BECAUSE HE DOESN'T WALK.

That doesn't mean crap. I've met plenty of people who spend their whole lives in wheel chairs....and they wear shoes.

gblowfish 06-07-2007 11:02 AM

I'm envisioning a brand new marketing opportunity and offshoot from NASCAR...

The Wheelchair Push 500!

Now THAT's an extreme sport!

Mr. Laz 06-07-2007 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief
70 RPM’s isn’t much, but my calculations weren’t correct.
+250K RPM’s is a shit ton. I’d be amazed if the bearings survived that.

all the more reason to think that if this is true then the semi truck lifted the wheel chair off the ground as it gained speed.

wheels on the chair would of simply melted off if it was really being 'pushed' at that high of speed.

Phobia 06-07-2007 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz
all the more reason to think that if this is true then the semi truck lifted the wheel chair off the ground as it gained speed.

wheels on the chair would of simply melted off if it was really being 'pushed' at that high of speed.

Which is true if we're talking about the $99 wheelchair most of us have seen in our lives. But this is a pretty high end wheelchair with bearings and durability engineered. Naturally, it's not engineered to travel at high speeds on the highway, but those wheels can turn for a while.

Now, it really would take a mathematician to determine how long those wheels would last under the drag conditions, road conditions, chair specs, etc. The guy is incredibly lucky to be alive. Had he been pushed sideways I'm guessing the chair tips and he's roadkill.

Rain Man 06-07-2007 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief
Show me where I’m wrong then.
4” diameter = 12.56” circumference or the distance it will roll in one revolution.
1 MPH = 88 FPS (Feet Per Second) http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0001729.html
or 1056 in inches so 50 MPH = 52800 Inches traveled per second.
52800 / 12.56 (our wheel circumference) =4203.8 revolutions per second.
4203.8 * 60 = 252,228 RPM's.

I see it, never mind.

It's been annoying the heck out of me why our numbers dont' match, and I finally found it. Your reference actually say that 1 MPH = 88 ft/min, not 88 ft/sec, so your figure is 60 times too high. The answer is 4203.8 RPMs.

Rain Man 06-07-2007 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pestilenceaf23
That doesn't mean crap. I've met plenty of people who spend their whole lives in wheel chairs....and they wear shoes.

Yeah, but that's just because they're show horses.

2112 06-07-2007 12:44 PM

How did my thread get turned into a RadarChief/Rainman/Laz/Phobia Physics class?

listopencil 06-07-2007 12:44 PM

I'm not so sure the guy in the wheelchair is wearing shoes. From the pic he could be wearing just socks with little designs on them. I need a higher quality pic of his feet.

listopencil 06-07-2007 12:45 PM

Then again, maybe they took his shoes off because the poop ran down his leg and into them. Seems like his socks would have stains though.

Rain Man 06-07-2007 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill parcells
How did my thread get turned into a RadarChief/Rainman/Laz/Phobia Physics class?

This is not just about laughing about unfortunate people in wheelchairs stuck to the front of semis. It's also about learning.

Though it's still mostly about laughing about unfortunate people in wheelchairs stuck to the front of semis

Fat Elvis 06-07-2007 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia
Which is true if we're talking about the $99 wheelchair most of us have seen in our lives. But this is a pretty high end wheelchair with bearings and durability engineered. Naturally, it's not engineered to travel at high speeds on the highway, but those wheels can turn for a while.

Now, it really would take a mathematician to determine how long those wheels would last under the drag conditions, road conditions, chair specs, etc. The guy is incredibly lucky to be alive. Had he been pushed sideways I'm guessing the chair tips and he's roadkill.

That looks to be about a $15K-20K wheelchair. It could probably handle it.

Radar Chief 06-07-2007 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man
It's been annoying the heck out of me why our numbers dont' match, and I finally found it. Your reference actually say that 1 MPH = 88 ft/min, not 88 ft/sec, so your figure is 60 times too high. The answer is 4203.8 RPMs.

I see, you’re correct.

Simply Red 06-07-2007 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz
i don't see how that's possible

the wheels on the chair are so much smaller they couldn't turn fast enough to keep up.

They would of been skidding and melting at 50 mph

surely there is a mathematician in the house that can figure out how fast a 4 inch wheel would have to turn to keep up with a 4 foot wheel at 50 mph.

IF IT WAS ON AN AWESOME NETWK. LIKE MSNBC; IT HAS GOT TO BE TRUE!