ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Point Break (2015) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=292688)

Red Brooklyn 05-28-2015 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11522904)
Knowing the trailer business as I do, I'd never pass judgement on any film in any genre based on 60-120 second snippets.

Also I know a ton of people that really loved Blackhat and don't understand the shit it gets. So, gain, to Dane's point -- subjective.

DaneMcCloud 05-28-2015 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 11522915)
Why continue to remake movies? First one was good. It wasn't shitty. Hollywood loves their cash grabs from shitty remakes

Because remaking a film has a much better chance of being a "winner" than an original title. Other times, it's a rights issue.

DJ's left nut 05-28-2015 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 11522914)
Also I know a ton of people that really loved Blackhat and don't understand the shit it gets. So, gain, to Dane's point -- subjective.

Did they also like 'The Net'?

Easy 6 05-28-2015 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11522941)
Because remaking a film has a much better chance of being a "winner" than an original title. Other times, it's a rights issue.

I sure hope Hollywood is able to break itself of this mindset at some point, we'll never get the next Star Wars or Goodfellas or whatever if they have to have a successful brand already in place before they greenlight something.

DaneMcCloud 05-28-2015 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 11523125)
I sure hope Hollywood is able to break itself of this mindset at some point, we'll never get the next Star Wars or Goodfellas or whatever if they have to have a successful brand already in place before they greenlight something.

I won't happen unless people buy into original films, like Tomorrowland or even Jupiter Rising, neither of which happened.

Movie studios, just like every other business on the planet, produce films to earn money. There's no money in flops, original or otherwise.

Also, keep in mind that films like Avatar and the original Star Wars were independently financed.

Deberg_1990 05-28-2015 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 11522732)
Consumers at move theaters are quite stupid. I heard Tomorrowland isn't bad (great effects and all), but a PG adventure movie from Disney just isn't set up to succeed, particularly new brands. Shame.

I look forward to remakes of Breakfast Club, Weird Science, and Commando with great anticipation.

Tomorrowland isn't near the disaster critics have made it out to be. It's not perfect, but it's still a lot of fun.

Like John Carter and Lone Ranger, this will most likely find a more accepting audience on down the road.

Easy 6 05-28-2015 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11523138)
I won't happen unless people buy into original films, like Tomorrowland or even Jupiter Rising, neither of which happened.

Movie studios, just like every other business on the planet, produce films to earn money. There's no money in flops, original or otherwise.

Also, keep in mind that films like Avatar and the original Star Wars were independently financed.

Thats a totally fair point, its sad that so much of the movie going public these days wont go out to see the original stuff more often.

- I've read that the new Wachowski movie sucked ass though -

At this rate, Depp will get tired of the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise and we'll see a remake with Jared Leto as Jack Sparrow three short years from now.

Deberg_1990 05-28-2015 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 11523159)
Thats a totally fair point, its sad that so much of the movie going public these days wont go out to see the original stuff more often.

- I've read that the new Wachowski movie sucked ass though -

At this rate, Depp will get tired of the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise and we'll see a remake with Jared Leto as Jack Sparrow three short years from now.

Movie tickets have become so expensive now, I think people would prefer to spend their hard earned money on a property they are already familiar with.

Easy 6 05-28-2015 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 11523164)
Movie tickets have become so expensive now, I think people would prefer to spend their hard earned money on a property they are already familiar with.

$9 for regular, $12 for 3D, $15-20 for IMAX 3D doesnt really seem all that steep to me.

Most people have $18 for a weekend show with their sweetie.

Brock 05-28-2015 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 11523169)
$9 for regular, $12 for 3D, $15-20 for IMAX 3D doesnt really seem all that steep to me.

Most people have $18 for a weekend show with their sweetie.

It isn't expensive. They simply don't make very many good movies. I went to the theater to see one movie last year. One. Blue Jasmine. I don't care about cgi animation, I want to see a good story and good acting.

Deberg_1990 05-28-2015 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 11523186)
It isn't expensive. They simply don't make very many good movies. I went to the theater to see one movie last year. One. Blue Jasmine. I don't care about cgi animation, I want to see a good story and good acting.

Whats interesting to me is that most of the good prestige scripts and acting, stories are in TV now.

Theatrical films are catering to the theme park/thrill audience.

Easy 6 05-28-2015 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 11523186)

I'm not much better, went to two all of last year.

Have been to the Avengers this year and am looking to add Mad Max this weekend.

Easy 6 05-28-2015 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 11523191)
Whats interesting to me is that most of the good prestige scripts and acting, stories are in TV now.

Theatrical films are catering to the theme park/thrill audience.

Lotsa truth here.

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-28-2015 05:20 PM

Who would have ever thought that the Chiefs and Hollywood have so much in common?

Red Brooklyn 05-28-2015 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 11522946)
Did they also like 'The Net'?

Na... no? No, I don't think so. Why did you?