ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Help building my first gaming rig (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=278880)

jd1020 11-24-2013 06:00 PM

Get low profile RAM.

That CPU cooler will prevent you from putting in those tall vengeance memory sticks.

Shogun 11-24-2013 06:03 PM

I didnt mean to add the vengeance sticks on there, i had another one hilighted and accidentally put the corsair ones in. the ones i meant to add are much smaller

hometeam 11-24-2013 06:04 PM

The difference in a 660 and a 770 is pretty massive TBH.

Dual 660s might be as fast as a 770. You picked a 3gb model, and the 2gb models are going for 170 now.

Also, you can save a ton of money on that keyboard. I game hard on a 5 dollar walmart keyboard :/

I saw the gateway available, but the benQ is a better monitor.

So, still a powerful build, but now your missing an SSD and half your GPU power.

Shogun 11-24-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10220730)
The difference in a 660 and a 770 is pretty massive TBH.

Dual 660s might be as fast as a 770. You picked a 3gb model, and the 2gb models are going for 170 now.

Also, you can save a ton of money on that keyboard. I game hard on a 5 dollar walmart keyboard :/

I saw the gateway available, but the benQ is a better monitor.

So, still a powerful build, but now your missing an SSD and half your GPU power.

I thought the drive I got was a Hybid SSD/HDD? If not I can change that.

Yeah the video card is definitely still up in the air. I can do the 770 just fine but I was just taking some recommendations. I may go back to it nonetheless. The keyboard, I have a wireless Logitech mouse and keyboard, but frankly I've always wanted one of these keyboards and I just wanted to splurge and get it. Monitor the same deal, I will keep looking for better deals, I'm going to Micro Center tomorrow to see what deals they have.

hometeam 11-24-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun (Post 10220746)
I thought the drive I got was a Hybid SSD/HDD? If not I can change that.

Yeah the video card is definitely still up in the air. I can do the 770 just fine but I was just taking some recommendations. I may go back to it nonetheless. The keyboard, I have a wireless Logitech mouse and keyboard, but frankly I've always wanted one of these keyboards and I just wanted to splurge and get it. Monitor the same deal, I will keep looking for better deals, I'm going to Micro Center tomorrow to see what deals they have.

Oh, i actually didnt click into the drive. A hybrid drive is fine, and you will see some performance gains, but tis not the same as having a dedicated SSD. Its not part SSD and part HDD, its a HDD that has SSD caching, so it doesn't work like 'i choose what goes on the SSD part and what goes on the HDD part'

Shogun 11-24-2013 06:12 PM

What would you normally just put on the SSD? The OS and what else? Just bigger program files that you don't want on your HDD, leaving your HDD clean for games/music/movies?

jspchief 11-24-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun (Post 10220769)
What would you normally just put on the SSD? The OS and what else? Just bigger program files that you don't want on your HDD, leaving your HDD clean for games/music/movies?

I have an 80 gb ssd and run only my OS

Shogun 11-24-2013 06:25 PM

I have a 1tb external so I'm fine leaving that plugged in with my music on it

Setsuna 11-24-2013 06:26 PM

I think SSD are overrated. If it's only used for a faster boot up that's reeruned for over 100 large.

Shogun 11-24-2013 06:26 PM

So I guess my main question now is my gpu. Do I splurge and get the 770? Or keep lookin

hometeam 11-24-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun (Post 10220769)

I put my most played games on there. Think some game that loads alot.. like.. skyrim, or guild wars 2, etc. Every time it has to read off the HDD.. well you can wait 10, 20, 30 seconds to load your data, or you can load from SSD in 3,4,5 seconds instead of waiting. You will also see overall increased performance on your gmae becuase any other time it checks the disk its instant as well. I have a 240gb corsair force GT so i load it up with whatever game(s) im spending alot of time on at the moment, then switch it when im done with it.

The hybrid drive WILL work in this way somewhat, but it will only keep cached copy of certain 'most used' data on the SSD portion.

Shogun 11-24-2013 06:31 PM

I really like the aspect. One of the biggest issues I have personally is waiting for ****ing ever for stuff to load. Absolutely hate it. If I have to spend 1500 to beast everything I will. I'm all in at this point! I may eventually want to add something where I can watch tv on one screen and play d3 on the other

hometeam 11-24-2013 06:33 PM

If i was building a system today I would go with the 770 for the sole fact that JUST by adding another 770 in a couple of years, you can extend the useful life of the system quite a bit.

Now, or at that time, that will require a 7-800w PSU, I think I payed 60 bucks for my 850w corsair PSU.

Shogun 11-24-2013 06:35 PM

I've been leaning towards the 770 from the beginning. I'm on my phone right now so I can't check what power supply I'd need down the line if I added another 770

hometeam 11-24-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun (Post 10220866)
I've been leaning towards the 770 from the beginning. I'm on my phone right now so I can't check what power supply I'd need down the line if I added another 770

a 700w minimum will do it.