ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   The rising Kawika Mitchell (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=107202)

Deberg_1990 12-26-2004 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRR
Kawika Mitchell is absolutely horrible. I guess you could say in the last few weeks, Mitchell went from horrible to terrible, but he does nothing well. Mitchell can't tackle, his timed blitzes are horrible, he gets beat in pass coverage, and if a lead blocker gets on him, he's done.

Mitchell gives us a little bit of range at the MLB position, but that's about it. It's pretty bad when Monty Beisel, who had been moved to every position besides CB, can come in and make more plays at MLB early in the season than Mitchell has all season.

KM has a long way to go. If we don't upgrade at MLB, we are going to be hurting because we just aren't good enough at DT to keep FB's and guards off our MLB. Sims and Dalton get good pressure, but they aren't the greatest against the run. Hopefully Siavii can bring that run stuffing ability next season.

I like Mitchell as a backup.

BINGO, what he said...

philfree 12-26-2004 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRR
Kawika Mitchell is absolutely horrible. I guess you could say in the last few weeks, Mitchell went from horrible to terrible, but he does nothing well. Mitchell can't tackle, his timed blitzes are horrible, he gets beat in pass coverage, and if a lead blocker gets on him, he's done.

Mitchell gives us a little bit of range at the MLB position, but that's about it. It's pretty bad when Monty Beisel, who had been moved to every position besides CB, can come in and make more plays at MLB early in the season than Mitchell has all season.

KM has a long way to go. If we don't upgrade at MLB, we are going to be hurting because we just aren't good enough at DT to keep FB's and guards off our MLB. Sims and Dalton get good pressure, but they aren't the greatest against the run. Hopefully Siavii can bring that run stuffing ability next season.

I like Mitchell as a backup.

I really disagree that Mitchell is horrible. IMO he hsn't had much of a chance until the last nine games. He's been injured starting in training camp last year and then getting injured the last preseason game this year. I also think that going from GRobs scheme his rookie year to Guns scheme this year also slowed his progress. Gun has said that the LB is the hardest position to adapt to his scheme so.......

PhilFree :arrow:

Frankie 12-26-2004 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree
I really disagree that Mitchell is horrible. IMO he hsn't had much of a chance until the last nine games. He's been injured starting in training camp last year and then getting injured the last preseason game this year. I also think that going from GRobs scheme his rookie year to Guns scheme this year also slowed his progress. Gun has said that the LB is the hardest position to adapt to his scheme so.......

That's exactly my stand on Kawika. For the Kawika haters who want him dumped immediately I have two words: Joe Horn. Yes we are talking aboput two entirely different positions and yes there's no garantee KM will be a LBs' version of Joe Horn with another team. But let's find out how far he can develop. In the meantime, since immediate gratification is in order if we want to make a serious push for SuperBowl next year, I'd do this if I were CP. I'd try to find a solid MLB who has a couple of years left in the tank. A Marvcus Patton, so to speak. I would sign him to a one or two year incentive oriented contract and ask Kawika to beat him out. If he doesn't immediately, he'll get enough play backing the old guy up untill he does.

Now the $64k question: Does anyone know of any old MLB to answer that description? What's is Junior Seau doing?

LiL stumppy 12-26-2004 02:38 PM

Frankie I don't understand.You say Kawika is getting better and hasn't had a chance?But yet you want to sign a MLB?I say Kawika is fine and will do good next year.I am more worried about a CB,FS.DE.Never once worried about MLB,especially they way Kawika has been playing the past few weeks.

philfree 12-26-2004 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiL stumpy
Frankie I don't understand.You say Kawika is getting better and hasn't had a chance?But yet you want to sign a MLB?I say Kawika is fine and will do good next year.I am more worried about a CB,FS.DE.Never once worried about MLB,especially they way Kawika has been playing the past few weeks.

I think the only way Mitchell keeps improving is if he is on the field. IMO a stud OLB to replace Barber is where we need to focus. Fox is an unknown and adding a quality OLB would allow Beisel to back up Mitchell and focus on STs. I do agree about CB, FS and DE though.

bricks 12-26-2004 02:49 PM

I'm still concerned about our LBers. Kawika has showed something lately, hopefully that is a sign of good things to come. He was awfull earlier in the year. I do hope he can ascend into a good player. I'd still take my chances in the off-season and sign Kendrel Bell. At least, he can play the middle, and outside. Insurance, just in case Kawika plays bad again.

Frankie 12-26-2004 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiL stumpy

Don't get me wrong. I have high hopes for KM too. And, in Gun I trust. But Mitchel may or may not reach his eventual potential in a year. A lot of people here are worried about some window of opportunity that's supposedly closing on us. I don't subscribe to that either, but I would feel better for next year if we had a MLB depth of Kawika and an old savvy and affordable Marvcus patton type who can play or even start on a part-time basis, in case KM hits a snag. I also think adressing DB and DE are more of an immediate need for us. My whole point is let's not blow a high draft choice on a young MLB and dump Kawika prematurely.

Frankie 12-26-2004 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bricks
I'd still take my chances in the off-season and sign Kendrel Bell. At least, he can play the middle, and outside. Insurance, just in case Kawika plays bad again.

If that opportunity were available, I'd have no problem with it. I'd just hope that Kawika's development will continue and Bell would play OLB for us eventually.

philfree 12-26-2004 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bricks
I'm still concerned about our LBers. Kawika has showed something lately, hopefully that is a sign of good things to come. He was awfull earlier in the year. I do hope he can ascend into a good player. I'd still take my chances in the off-season and sign Kendrel Bell. At least, he can play the middle, and outside. Insurance, just in case Kawika plays bad again.

Mitchell didn't hardly play early in the season but when he did he did struggle. I have no problem with bringing in better talent though.

LiL stumppy 12-26-2004 03:16 PM

Thats why I want to draft Derick J in the draft,and pick up a Corner and DE.Because Woods just signed a new deal he isn'y going any where.

TRR 12-26-2004 03:23 PM

That's another thing I don't like about Mitchell. He can't stay healthy. You NEED a MLB who is going to stay healthy for 16 games. Has Mitchell even made it through a training camp without getting injured/missing extended amounts of time?

I stand by my "horrible" comment. He just does nothing above average. He could make 10 tackles in a game, and miss 15 as well as give up a ton of completions over the middle.

LiL stumppy 12-26-2004 03:27 PM

He hasn't got hurt since the beggining of the year TRR.

philfree 12-26-2004 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRR
That's another thing I don't like about Mitchell. He can't stay healthy. You NEED a MLB who is going to stay healthy for 16 games. Has Mitchell even made it through a training camp without getting injured/missing extended amounts of time?

I stand by my "horrible" comment. He just does nothing above average. He could make 10 tackles in a game, and miss 15 as well as give up a ton of completions over the middle.

Well he's played the last 9 games and he's stayed healthy so maybe he's past his injuries. Ray Lewis has missed several games in his career :shrug: I do agree Mitchell needs to stay healthy. As far as missing 15 tackles in a game that's a silly exageration.

Pitt Gorilla 12-26-2004 05:12 PM

I always thought Kawika was pretty good and could be great given his physical gifts. He just needed a little time to develop. Fans tend to want immediate results and expect nothing less. Patience helps to keep the blood pressure lower.

Oxford 12-26-2004 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree
I think the only way Mitchell keeps improving is if he is on the field. IMO a stud OLB to replace Barber is where we need to focus. Fox is an unknown and adding a quality OLB would allow Beisel to back up Mitchell and focus on STs. I do agree about CB, FS and DE though.

The best way to attack the problems of this defensive unit is to have more pressure on the offense without blitzing. That means better D/L play, more pressure from the LDE, more push from the DT's. That means less pressure on the safetys in run support and more LB freedom to make the plays.

So, I think the draft will be DE, CB, LB. The D/L is easier for a rookie to play (therefore quicker contribution), and a CB in free-agency.