ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Archives (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   QB Situation - Offseason Moves (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=11416)

Fat Homer 12-19-2000 10:57 AM

Culpepper and McNabb are exceptional QBs...made more dangerous by their running ability...

King is mediocre at best...Stewart is less then mediocre...

Gannon, he's a Raider so he sucks no matter how good he is, but as a passer he's mediocre too...Batch, mediocre...

The best pure QB in the league...Warner, a classic pocket passer...

The running QBs are great as long as you can keep them healthy or if you can replace them every 4 years...

Prediction...by time Culpepper and McNabb have played 4 full seasons...they will be so banged up, that they will be inaffective as runners and passers...

redbrian 12-19-2000 11:38 AM

Stevieray,

I'm not saying replace Grbac.

I'm saying that I'd like to see the Chiefs think outside the box once in a while.

They do the same thing year in and year out. Why not try something different? You never know what might happen because of it.

Picking Tuiassosopo (sp) in the second round certainly couldn't be any worse than picking Mike Cloud or Rashawn Shehee in the second round. <P>

BigChiefsFan 12-19-2000 11:42 AM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned M. Bishop. He's in NE right now, but doesn't seem to be happy there. Perhaps a trade?

MM
~~Not a K-State fan . . . just throwing out ideas.

redbrian 12-19-2000 11:43 AM

Mark,

I totally agree.

But everyone here seems to think he's too stupid.

[This message has been edited by Cannibal (edited 12-19-2000).]

Phobia 12-19-2000 11:44 AM

I tend to agree with Cannibal here. It's obvious that the latest weapon on offense is the scrambling QB.

I would say that this particular aspect of the game has become quite prevalent over the last year. This last weekend alone, I couldnt believe all of the QB running that was going on. Hell, even Scott Mitchell got into the act converting a key first down.

The Chiefs do need a #2 QB, someone that can replace EG in a few years. I think it should be one that can play the position and its 'new' requirements.

BigChiefsFan 12-19-2000 11:50 AM

Cannibal--
Well, he did go to K-State . . . . :D

Seriously though. I'm not sure if he has that "big game" mentality we need. He choked when it came time to perform.

I think we do need a more mobile QB. It adds another weapon. However, mobile QBs take more of a pounding than pocket passers (unless you're named Aikman), so durability is an issue (as has been pointed out).

What worries me is the Chiefs inability to develop QB talent. We could've ruined Marino, IMO.

MM
~~Wants to see a new QB coach to go with a young QB.

TheBigChief 12-19-2000 11:50 AM

But everyone here seems to think he's too stupid. - That would probably be because he is! Definitely not the sharpest knife in the drawer...

Like I said before (and shall keep repeating as a mantra throughout our entire offseason): Tuiasosopo in the 2nd!!! (Dan Morgan in 1st, Mario Fatafehi in the 3rd)

Phobia 12-19-2000 11:52 AM

Speaking of Bishop and NE...

There seems to be quite a debate as to whether or not NE plays to retain Bledsoe. If they dont, do you think NE lets Bishop go?

I have to doubt it, but then we are talking about Belichik. The only HC other than Ray Rhodes, Bruce Coslet, Rich Kotite to be worse than Gunther.

redbrian 12-19-2000 12:01 PM

I disagree about the durability issue.

Steve Young never sustained a major injury that I'm aware of. Neither did Elway or Cunningham or Tarkenton. At least, no worse than any other QB who's ever played the game.

58 Forever,

I do agree that Warner is the best QB in the game. But he does have the most talent around him. If you put him on the Eagles, he doesn't even come close to what McNabb accomplished.

redbrian 12-19-2000 12:04 PM

Dan Marino is the most immobile QB in history, yet he missed a year and a half due a torn achilles tendon. Same with Testeverde.

Aikman is extremely immobile and he can't stay on the field because of a bad back and concussions.

redbrian 12-19-2000 12:06 PM

Titus,

If NE has half a brain, they'll keep Bishop. He will be a playa in the NFL.

But I have my doubts that he'll continue to play there by his choice. He wants a trade to a team that will let him play.

BigChiefsFan 12-19-2000 12:06 PM

Cannibal--
Although Steve Young was knocked out of the league due to concussions (sp?), it was not because he was scrambling. He was in the pocket. So I think you're right.

It just makes me nervous to see QBs flying all over the field . . . the position is difficult to learn, and (as we all Chiefs fans know) it is very difficult to find one that fits well with a team. Gannon fits great in Oakland, would've done so-so here.

I'd like to see a pocket passer with some good speed when necessary. Otherwise, draft an option QB and lets see what happens. :D

MM
~~Realizes there are no easy (or necessarily correct) answers to this question.

egonzo 12-19-2000 12:07 PM

Jeff, I agree. That was by far the most wellrouded offensive performance the Chiefs have had in awhile. While a mobile QB can lead to big plays, the propencity for injury greatly increases. Culpepper is in a cast. Gannon is wobbling around.

I would like to see EG contiue to scramble if everything breaks down, unlike last year when he just wussed out a lot. Didn't you freak when Elvis went for 19 yards? I thinkt he Donx were in shock...Grbac running? HUH?

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 12-19-2000 12:07 PM

We've kind of wandered from the original point, it seems.

We seem to agree that we need a #2 and #3 quarterback, and Moon and Collins are not proper choices.

We seem to disagree on the style of play to look for, however. Bob Dole can accept that, but the question still remains, of the available options, who do we go after?<BR>

redbrian 12-19-2000 12:07 PM

Mark,

You're correct he did have to exit the league due to concussions. But he did have a 13 year career in professional football. That's a pretty good stretch. <P>