ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Ethics and Honor - A Rain Man Rant (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=115654)

Rain Man 05-02-2005 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheeeefs
1+1 = 2

2+2 = 4

the square root of twenty is the same as the number that if you multiply it by itself it equals twenty.

I can start in about.... two weeks. :)

I'm listening...

cheeeefs 05-02-2005 09:37 PM

I'm potty trained, can play a wicked game of fetch, and can smell a fart 100 yards off.

Anyone with those three qualities combined just has to be loyal. Admit it.

Valiant 05-02-2005 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man
Actually, our company is 70 percent female and all employees of both sexes are analyst-level, so I don't think that was an issue. And I know that she was interested in the work, because she was quite engaged and had told me in the past couple of months that she was quite interested in the work.

To be honest, I'll bet anything that this is just an immature college student decision where she wanted to get the highest starting salary that she could. The other job is a boring-sounding reliability engineer job, but I'm sure as an engineering job that it pays more. I was an undergrad once, and I know that starting salary is a scorecard for people at that stage of life.

The part that ticks me off is that she shouldn't have even been interviewing. She had already accepted a job and had even started work. I remember when I was in undergrad that the career office wouldn't allow you to interview if you had already accepted a job.

From her point of view...

I interview for jobs

Job A(you) hires me...

I got a job that is part-time and promises me full-time once i complete college, other interview comes in will double my salary and start me off full-time with benefits... Will put in my two weeks, and get new job...

or

She decided she really doesnt like doing what she is doing... Just because someone works hard and diligent does not mean they like it... Hell i work my ass off and i only make 25k a year... I hate my job... But it pays the bills and I hate looking for jobs... Been there six years now... Man i need to finish school...

Raiderhater 05-02-2005 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray
I was thinking ..he's in Denver, she cut him off at the knees....this is normal behavior, isn't it?

I wonder if she told him at IHOP?

God, I have missed this place. :)

JOhn 05-02-2005 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raiderhader
God, I have missed this place. :)

ROFL

Rain Man 05-02-2005 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian
Maybe she got to looking at
1. Student Loan Debt "its gonna take 15 years at HOW MUCH?"
2. Weddings.....photographer, $3500 Cake $1500, Ice sculptures....dinner for 300.........

I can see why a few grand would entice someone young away.

I wonder if you still have a chance to call her in, explain that you like her, think she's been doing a great job, has unlimited potential in your company, and up the ante.............?

Yeah, I'd have no problem if she had received the offers simultaneously and just gone for (presumably) more money.

Truthfully, if she had come to me in February or even March and told me that she'd already had an interview scheduled when she accepted my offer, I wouldn't have been too ticked off. I'm just ticked off that she rode the Rain Man gravy train for a few extra months instead of letting me know so I could start looking for a replacement.

FallingAlice 05-02-2005 09:41 PM

I can see why you'd be pissed.

I think to take anything of value away from this situation, as angry as you are, try to withold judgement until you sit down with her for a heart to heart and say, "Look... I'm really disappointed in how this transpired. We valued you and we thought you were happy. We also expected you to start full time as of yadyayda. I don't want this to happen again, so I need to know if there was something specific that caused you to leave the way you have[i.e., f^ck us over].

Then, I would be honest and tell her that this answer is especially important because of your perception of what she has done. So...if she had particularly good reason to take another job then you would see this as reasonable...otherwise

You might mention that you are extremely irritated and that you will bring it up with her University/College employment office. Tell her that you intend not to take interns or graduates from this school again and that you will be contacting the college career services about the matter.

These are all reasonable things to do. They should get her attention.

cheeeefs 05-02-2005 09:41 PM

now that I've flexed all my employable might, I'm going to break it to you softly that I'm an English Major.

BUT

with a little imagination we could make it work. Have you ever thought of the possibilities present in the statistical analyses of subject verb agreement? How often do they agree? I mean really, enquiring minds want to know.

Iowanian 05-02-2005 09:42 PM

I can't pass your math test, but I'm a clever SOB, I won't rob you, and I won't let others. I'll get your bike back for a cash bonus.

Rain Man 05-02-2005 09:42 PM

Quote:

I'm potty trained, can play a wicked game of fetch, and can smell a fart 100 yards off.

If you can smell a fart 100 yards off, you probably wouldn't last long at my company.

Rain Man 05-02-2005 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian
I can't pass your math test, but I'm a clever SOB, I won't rob you, and I won't let others. I'll get your bike back for a cash bonus.

You can get my bike back? Really?

FallingAlice 05-02-2005 09:44 PM

Quote:

That's maybe one of the funniest single responses I've ever read on this board.

And that's saying something.

Iowanian 05-02-2005 09:45 PM

I can chop block this broad and take HER bike for you if you'd prefer......I'm guessing hers is newer anyway. I'll even put the basket on the front and the purple streamers in your handlebars.

cheeeefs 05-02-2005 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man
If you can smell a fart 100 yards off, you probably wouldn't last long at my company.

I'd be fine. I would just have to hang my head out the window to pant every few minutes.

cheeeefs 05-02-2005 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FallingAlice
That's maybe one of the funniest single responses I've ever read on this board.

And that's saying something.

AHA! I've done it. Funny has been achieved, all this effort is not for nothing. I feel so appreciated. I would like to thank God, and my mom for making it all possible.