ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   12 Trapped Miners in West Virginia discussion (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=132881)

memyselfI 01-04-2006 07:31 AM

Well, I'm glad I missed riding this rollar coaster as it was happening...

it's heartwrenching enough to hear about it after the fact. :deevee:

I can completely understand the families outrage. Especially given the fact that of the 200 violations this company was cited for last year, over 90 of them were serious and/or safety violations. Obviously the families had EVERY reason to be skeptical of what the officials from the mine tell them.

It seems the sad irony here is in their haste to believe in a miracle they did not remember these officials are the very same people they've come to suspect since the accident.

Just an all around horrible situation. I hope the officials of the mine are prosecuted if they knowingly, even inadvertantly, sent these guys into their deaths.

memyselfI 01-04-2006 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjjayb
Bush Lied, Miners Died.

Please don't politicize this. That isn't even a funny joke. :shake: :mad: :rolleyes:

Baby Lee 01-04-2006 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memyselfI
Please don't politicize this. That isn't even a funny joke. :shake: :mad: :rolleyes:

Fugg hugh!! Miss politicize everything.
This is no more or less serious, nor more or less political, than Bush's actions in the WoT. And the parallels between the 'sheep' apologists response to the banshees on the left on Iraq, and jAZ's response to the family members is undeniable, down to the smallest detail.

Bob Dole 01-04-2006 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee
If they didn't out and out lie, they at the very least sure cherry picked their intelligence. :rolleyes:

Again, what could the company possibly gain by making up false claims of survivors? To blame the miscommunication solely on the company is ridiculous. If you want to blame the accident itself on company negligence, that's fine...but to claim that the company intentionally led people to believe there were survivors is just plain silly.

Where is the motivation for such an act of misinformation? Did the company plan to bring in body-doubles to insert into the families and just couldn't get it done before CNN discovered the real truth? :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, this kind of stuff is the price tag attached to All-Media-Access-All-The-Time.

People need to focus on the real issue and stop headhunting. Alas, the latter seems to be the New American Way.

memyselfI 01-04-2006 07:44 AM

Quote:

Fugg hugh!! Miss politicize everything.
This is no more or less serious, nor more or less political, than Bush's actions in the WoT. And the parallels between the 'sheep' apologists response to the banshees on the left on Iraq, and jAZ's response to the family members is undeniable, down to the smallest detail.

Put down the whiskey and grab some coffee...

memyselfI 01-04-2006 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole
Again, what could the company possibly gain by making up false claims of survivors? To blame the miscommunication solely on the company is ridiculous. If you want to blame the accident itself on company negligence, that's fine...but to claim that the company intentionally led people to believe there were survivors is just plain silly.

Where is the motivation for such an act of misinformation? Did the company plan to bring in body-doubles to insert into the families and just couldn't get it done before CNN discovered the real truth? :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, this kind of stuff is the price tag attached to All-Media-Access-All-The-Time.

People need to focus on the real issue and stop headhunting. Alas, the latter seems to be the New American Way.

I agree with this post 100%. I don't think the company lied about survivors. There would be NO SANE REASON TO DO SO.

However, it's quite evident this company has a long and continued history of neglect and irresponsibility to the workers. I would think that the families would have been more skeptical of the word of survivors given the mine officials terrible history but they were not. Ultimately, when the shock and anger wears off they will see they surrendered their common sense to hope for a miracle and were understandably vulnerable to believing these same officials who have consistently not had their families best interest at heart from the start.

That is QUITE different from the officials outright lying...

jjjayb 01-04-2006 07:51 AM

Quote:

:rolleyes: Are you serious? Don't politicize this? Pretty crappy isn't it? You see the irony of this? You are the queen of politicizing tragic situations. Now maybe you understand why the people on this board who still have at least a fraction of their sanity left are so disgusted by you.

memyselfI 01-04-2006 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjjayb
:rolleyes: Are you serious? Don't politicize this? Pretty crappy isn't it? You see the irony of this? You are the queen of politicizing tragic situations. Now maybe you understand why the people on this board who still have at least a fraction of their sanity left are so disgusted by you.

Actually, I'm not. I am, however, the most popular and cited excuse for other people politicizing current events. Thank you.

If you need proof, see the fact that you made your shithead remark before I even posted on this thread.

Baby Lee 01-04-2006 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole

You may have missed my tone.

Baby Lee 01-04-2006 07:59 AM

Quote:

Put down the whiskey and grab some coffee...

In case no one ever told you, a deflection is not a rebuttal.

Kylo Ren 01-04-2006 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13
CNN is reporting there's only 1 actual survivor... I can't believe this....

When I went to bed last night all of the news agencies were reporting 12 alive and 1 dead. GREAT!! Now, this morning I woke up and I kept seeing reports of 1 alive and 12 dead. HORRIBLE! I went to Fox News to confirm it. Damn! It's true. Fox News was reporting that all of the news agencies got their info from the Miners Foreman. The Foreman overheard the radio transmission from the rescuers in the mine to the rescue team on the surface. Apparently, he heard it wrong and ran around telling everyone that there were 12 survivors. In a way, I can't blame him. It's just a terrible situation.

memyselfI 01-04-2006 08:02 AM

Quote:

In case no one ever told you, a deflection is not a rebuttal.

Neither is projection, which is what you were doing with JAZ's post.

StcChief 01-04-2006 08:12 AM

Again the non-verified 24x7 News get any story fast, forget verifying facts. Run with it.

bkkcoh 01-04-2006 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ
From the press conference, it sounds like the rescuers reported arriving at the scene and finding 12 survivors (or that's what the command center heard from them). It turns out that they were trying to say they found the 12 miners (not necessarily that they were all alive).Apparently the radio in the command center is one that fills the room so everyone heard the report and someone called family or something unoffically reporting the news. Someone those unoffical reports got back to the church (by family members on cell phones supposedly).

Isn't that like the school game where you whisper something in a kids ear and then they whisper into the next and so on and so on. By the time it gets to the end, it is totally different then the original.

If it was a reporter who thought he heard survivors and then ran with the story, he should be held accountable. It would be very unfortunate if this was the case.

RP_McMurphy 01-04-2006 08:31 AM

This miscommunication reminds me of Damage Control exercises we used to run on. We would line up the whole Damage Control Party and start at one end with someone passing information along and on the other end we would wait to see what came out on the end. Never once in running this exercise did the exact word ever make it the whole way to the end. There were physical issues (remember the rescue party was underground and in horrid conditions), mental (everyone was tired and running on empty after 2 days of ups and downs) and emotional (everyone wanted to believe that many of these guys survived.....so yes they might have picked up something and ran with it). I don't blame anyone for this miscommunication as it was just a tragic mistake. It is obvious that this coal mine was a accident waiting to happen with his continious pattern of bad inspections. My prayers are for the families and for that small town as it will be touched to the core by this tragedy.