ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   NFL Draft Countdown Has Added Round 2 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=135376)

jspchief 02-09-2006 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefFan
It still doesn't discount how many DTs are in the BIG 10 and he was the consensus BEST at the position. I'm just showing you, that alot of other people watch the BIG 10, as well, and seem to think he's a damn good player, in fact the best in the conference at his position. POY also speaks volumes. How many LAZY players are considered POY for their team?

There's no question he's a talented DT. He wouldn't even be getting mentioned in 1st round discussions if that wasn't the case.

But I think it's also pretty evident from watching him that he puts forth inconsistent effort. Is he lazy? I don't know. Will he be lazy in the NFL? Nobody knows. But you'll never convince me that he didn't take a lot of plays off.

IMO, he's not really worth the #20 pick. If it was between him and Huff, I feel Huff is a clear better athlete. If Huff is gone (likely), then it's a matter of who else is available. Just because we need a DT, that doesn't mean we should take a middle 2nd prospect in the middle of the 1st round. We have to balance need with BAA.

Spicy McHaggis 02-09-2006 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe
1) This wasn't a big year for defensive tackles in the Big 10. Alot of teams, like Iowa, are very young up front. Him being the best DT in the Big 10 says more about the lack of talent at the position more than anything about him.

You said it before I could.

BigChiefFan 02-09-2006 03:29 PM

I still haven't seen one post that shows how he is lazy or takes plays off.

jspchief 02-09-2006 03:33 PM

Quote:

I still haven't seen one post that shows how he is lazy or takes plays off.

How exactly is a person supposed to express that in a post?

I've said I watch a lot of Big 10 football and have seen it with my own eyes. That's all the proof I have. What else can I do? Post footage of every game he played in college?

I still haven't seen one post that shows that he doesn't take plays off.

Chiefnj 02-09-2006 03:53 PM

nfldraftcountdown
"The problem is he doesn't always play up to his talent level and saw his stock drop considerably as a senior and was even benched at one point."

fantasyfootballjungle
"Cons: It's been touched on before and has been his sole downside throughout his career; a lack of effort. He has been criticized for not hitting the weight room often enough and for not going all out on every play. A lack of conditioning and tiring during games go hand in hand with this work ethic problem. "

nflfans.com
"Cons: Has been accused of taking far too many plays off and being lazy, does not have much of a motor and may have to be replaced on long drives, though he can collapse a pocket he sometimes is very ineffective on passing downs due to fatigue."

If you have further doubt about Watson try to obtain some game tapes of Michigan this season.

BigChiefFan 02-09-2006 03:55 PM

So it's your guys opinions against writers, coaches and those of us that think he's a damn fine football player...

2005 Michigan Football
78 Gabe Watson***
Sr. • DT • 6-4 • 331
Novi, Mich.
Southfield High School

At Michigan... three-year letterman ... appeared in 41 career games, making 15 starts along defensive line ... contributed 82 tackles, 13 tackles for loss and five sacks during career ... 2004 All-Big Ten first team (coaches).

Senior (2005)... As of Oct. 25 ... Playboy Magazine All-America ... Lombardi Award candidate ... played in all eight games and started four contests at nose tackle ... made three tackles from starting nose tackle position vs. Northern Illinois (Sept. 3) ... tallied three stops against Notre Dame (Sept. 10) ... registered two solo tackles vs. Eastern Michigan (Sept. 17) ... made two stops and assisted on a TFL at Wisconsin (Sept. 24) ... recorded a season-high four tackles and one TFL at Michigan State (Oct. 1) ... tallied a season-best seven stops, one TFL and one sack in starting assigment vs. Minnesota (Oct. 8) ... started and registered three tackles vs. Penn State (Oct. 15) ...

Junior (2004)... earned third varsity letter ... All-Big Ten first team (coaches) ... All-Big Ten second team (media) ... played in all 12 games and started final 11 games at defensive tackle ... set career highs in tackles (37), tackles for loss (seven) and sacks (two) ... tied for team lead among defensive lineman in stops ... saw action at defensive tackle and made one tackle vs. Miami (Sept. 4) ... tallied eight tackles and one tackle for loss at Notre Dame (Sept. 11), his first career start ... made two tackles vs. San Diego State (Sept. 18) ... recorded six tackles including one sack vs. Iowa (Sept. 25) ... starting defensive tackle at Indiana (Oct. 2) ... tallied five tackles including one sack vs. Minnesota (Oct. 9) ... made one stop at Illinois (Oct. 16) ... had three tackles and one TFL at Purdue (Oct. 23) ... recorded five tackles vs. Michigan State (Oct. 30) ... made two stops and one TFL vs. Northwestern (Nov. 13) ... recorded three tackles at Ohio State (Nov. 20), including a career-best two stops for loss ... tallied one tackle vs. Texas in the Rose Bowl (Jan. 1).

Sophomore (2003)... earned second varsity letter ... played defensive tackle in all 13 games ... made 13 stops and one tackle for loss ... saw time at defensive tackle vs. Central Michigan (Aug. 30), recording three tackles, including one tackle for loss ... played at defensive tackle vs. Houston (Sept. 6) ... made one stop from defensive tackle spot vs. Notre Dame (Sept. 13) ... recorded two tackles at Oregon (Sept. 20) ... tallied a career-high four stops vs. Indiana (Sept. 27) ... saw time at defensive tackle at Iowa (Oct. 4) ... played defensive tackle at Minnesota (Oct. 10), recording one tackle ... played defensive tackle vs. Illinois (Oct. 18) ... made one tackle as backup defensive tackle vs. Purdue (Oct. 25) ... saw time at defensive tackle at Michigan State (Nov. 1) and at Northwestern (Nov. 15) ... played defensive tackle vs. Ohio State (Nov. 22), recording one tackle ... saw time at defensive tackle vs. Southern California in the Rose Bowl (Jan. 1) ... featured on Tonight Show with Jay Leno during Rose Bowl trip.

Freshman (2002)... earned first varsity letter ... appeared in eight games and totaled two tackles ... made career debut at defensive tackle vs. Washington (Aug. 31) ... recorded first career tackle at Illinois (Sept. 28) ... totaled one tackle vs. Penn State (Oct. 12) ... played defensive tackle against Purdue (Oct. 19), Iowa (Oct. 26), Michigan State (Nov. 2), Minnesota (Nov. 9) and Ohio State (Nov. 23).

Prep... attended Southfield High School (2002) coached by David Reese ... started and lettered four years on the varsity squad ... ran 40-yard dash in 4.9 seconds and bench pressed 435 pounds ... Key Statistics ... four-year starter at offensive and defensive tackle ... also was placekicker for two seasons ... recorded 78 tackles and 10 sacks as a senior ... team ran 85 percent of running plays behind him on offense ... as a junior, recorded 74 tackles and six sacks ... Honors and Rankings ... earned all-state honors at both offensive and defensive tackles ... named All-American by Parade Magazine ... selected as second team All-USA offensive lineman by USA Today ... named first team all-state offense by the Detroit Free Press ... rated No. 1 on The Detroit News Blue Chip list and named to their Dream Team ... ranked No. 1 player on Mick McCabe's Fab 50 of Michigan's top college football prospects ... rated No. 1 offensive lineman in nation and earning All-America honors, No. 23 overall prospect in nation, and No. 4 player in Midwest by Tom Lemming ... named No. 23 player in Midwest and No. 27 defensive lineman in nation by SuperPrep ... ranked No. 3 defensive tackle and given five-star rating (the only one in 2002 class to do so) by Rivals100.com ... ranked No. 36 recruit by Collegefootballnews.com ... rated No. 21 player in country by Student Sports ... named No. 2 nose guard in nation by Max Emfinger ... ranked No. 33 offensive player in nation by G&W Recruiting Report ... Other Sports ... participated in track and wrestling.

Personal... Gabriel Pierre Kim Watson was born September 24, 1983 ... earned MVP honors at Michigan Nike Camp ... enrolled in the Division of Kinesiology ... plans to major in business.

Again, how is STARTING 15 games for 82 tackles, 13 tackles for loss, and 7 sacks in 42 appearances grounds for calling him lazy????I just don't get it, other than I think because he was demoted last year some have taken that as him being LAZY and ran with that as their mantra.

Chiefnj 02-09-2006 04:03 PM

"tallied a season-best seven stops, one TFL and one sack in starting assigment vs. Minnesota (Oct. 8) ... "

Wow. That sounds impressive. Impressive, if you don't consider the fact that Michigan gave up 264 yards rushing that day.

BigChiefFan 02-09-2006 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj
"tallied a season-best seven stops, one TFL and one sack in starting assigment vs. Minnesota (Oct. 8) ... "

Wow. That sounds impressive. Impressive, if you don't consider the fact that Michigan gave up 264 yards rushing that day.

Sounds like Gabe Watson did his job. Maybe the rest played like shit, ya think?

htismaqe 02-09-2006 04:45 PM

I could post at least a dozen scouting reports that say exactly what ChiefNJ just posted.

It's a FACT. The guy hasn't played up to his potential.

BigChiefFan 02-09-2006 04:55 PM

Quote:

I could post at least a dozen scouting reports that say exactly what ChiefNJ just posted.

It's a FACT. The guy hasn't played up to his potential.

Again, how is STARTING 15 games for 82 tackles, 13 tackles for loss, and 7 sacks in 42 appearances grounds for calling him lazy????

How is that not living up to potential? 15 Starts and you expect more?

htismaqe 02-09-2006 04:58 PM

Quote:

Again, how is STARTING 15 games for 82 tackles, 13 tackles for loss, and 7 sacks in 42 appearances grounds for calling him lazy????

How is that not living up to potential? 15 Starts and you expect more?

Tell me this - do you know ANYTHING about him other than the numbers you've read and posted here?

Have you watched him play? I'm sure you are aware he was benched because the Michigan staff didn't feel he was playing hard enough.

You just don't get it.

His numbers are great. They could be BETTER.

If he were playing up to his potential, he'd be listed ahead of Ngata. Yes, he's that good.

But EVERYBODY knows the guy has problems with motivation and drive. It's well-documented. WELL documented.

You've just chosen to ignore it.

BigChiefFan 02-09-2006 05:36 PM

Quote:

Tell me this - do you know ANYTHING about him other than the numbers you've read and posted here?

Have you watched him play? I'm sure you are aware he was benched because the Michigan staff didn't feel he was playing hard enough.

You just don't get it.

His numbers are great. They could be BETTER.

If he were playing up to his potential, he'd be listed ahead of Ngata. Yes, he's that good.

But EVERYBODY knows the guy has problems with motivation and drive. It's well-documented. WELL documented.

You've just chosen to ignore it.

Of course, I've seen Gabe Watson play, who do you think has been debating you for over a week now about him? I wouldn't contend something without having some working knowledge of what I'm talking about. I've backed what I've said with others who get paid for their opinions, that seem to agree with my stance, so I'm not clear out in left field when it comes to Gabe Watson.

Also, please note that Gabe Watson's D-line coach was in his FIRST year with the Wolverines, last year. Watson the year before was consensus All-Big 10 per coaches.

Tribal Warfare 02-09-2006 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj
And face a holdout. Contracts are based on slotting and based upon the previous years signings. Add a modest percentage to last years #20 and you have Watson's numbers.

the base salary and signing bonus is the key, the other bullshit such as possibly getting 4 million dollars a year is incentive based.

Tribal Warfare 02-10-2006 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFL Draft Countdown
as the "Planet Theory" goes, there are only so many guys in the world with his blend of size, speed and athleticism. The problem is he doesn't always play up to his talent level and saw his stock drop considerably as a senior and was even benched at one point. Watson did his best to make everyone forget about that in Mobile at the Senior Bowl though and he was so dominant that it led coach Jeff Fisher to note that they considered keeping him on the sidelines so they could get some work done on the interior in practice. He was only half joking.

Well he seems like a very endearing prospect guys

htismaqe 02-10-2006 08:23 AM

He does seem like an endearing prospect, just not at #20 in the first.

If he's our guy, we should absolutely trade down.