ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Books Ok for the high brow crowd what books you are reading (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=137161)

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 03-12-2006 06:20 PM

Fiction:

The Dragon in Lyonaisse - Gordon Dickson (SF/F)
Medalon - Jennifer Fallon (SF/F)
Billibub Baddings - Tee Morris (Fantasy/Noir)

Non-Fiction:
Military Methods of the Art of War - Sun Pin
Under the Black Flag - David Cordingly

(that is, when I'm not reading my class books, which I should be . . . )

Adept Havelock 03-12-2006 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man
I've been thinking about invading Russia, and someone told me that if I didn't understand history, I was doomed to repeat it.

ROFL :clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie Izzard
Napoleon went waltzing into Russia saying "this is easy...Gee...it's a bit cold.."

Hitler said "I've got a better idea...oh hell, it's the same idea".

Hitler never played Risk as a kid, did he? Asia worth 7 armies! Seven armies a turn, but you cant $@&%! hold it!

Mr. Laz 03-12-2006 06:22 PM

The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene

alanm 03-12-2006 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod
Especially lately. Seems like everytime I turn it on, one of those friggin "Modern Marvels" shows is on. I really don't give a shit about the history of the dump truck.

Modern Marvels isn't that bad but I hate it when they show blocks of them all day. It would seem better if they showed them late night/early morning. I may have to upgrade my package and get the Military channel. :thumb:

duncan_idaho 03-12-2006 06:28 PM

I'm about halfway through "player piano" by Vonnegut right now... really enjoying it so far.

Also just finished the Holy Grail series by Bernard Cornwell. Next on the list is Settling Accounts: Return Engagement by Harry Turtledove (it's an alternate history book... good stuff for history/polisci buffs)

Stuckinbama 03-12-2006 07:47 PM

Just finished the Rise and Fall of the Great Powers by Paul Kennedy and am now wading through The Life and Times of Pancho Villa by Fredrich Katz (all 900 pages of it).

Jim Jones 03-12-2006 08:15 PM

A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick

Amnorix 03-12-2006 09:06 PM

Quote:

Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow. Before that, His Excellency (biography of Washington) by Joseph Ellis.

I've been reading quite a bit on the Revolutionary War era over the past couple of years. I read Jeff Shaara's historical fiction works Rise to Rebellion and The Glorious Cause, and also David McCullough's John Adams. Fascinating period. I'll probably read American Sphinx (about Jefferson) next.

Chernow is superb, in my opinion. If you like his style, I'm sure you'll also like Titan (about John Rockefeller) and House of Morgan, about JP Morgan and his banking firm from inception to current.

For Revolutionary War era, 1776 by McCullough is also very good and a quick read.

Amnorix 03-12-2006 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR
What did you think of the McCullough? I loved it.

McCullough is always good and very readable. Path Between the Seas, abou the building of the Panama Canal, is my current read, and also a McCullough book.

NewChief 03-12-2006 09:08 PM

Finished The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon recently. Excellent.

Amnorix 03-12-2006 09:09 PM

Quote:

Especially lately. Seems like everytime I turn it on, one of those friggin "Modern Marvels" shows is on. I really don't give a shit about the history of the dump truck.

ROFLROFLROFLROFL

Teh Rep

NewChief 03-12-2006 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man
I'm just about to finish "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius". I like David Eggers' writing a lot.

You should check out McSweeney's, his faux lit crit bizarro website. It's probably right up your alley.
http://www.mcsweeneys.net/

Dave Lane 03-12-2006 09:24 PM

Jesus Never Existed.

Outstanding book...

Available at jesusneverexisted.com

Dave

Frazod 03-12-2006 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix
Chernow is superb, in my opinion. If you like his style, I'm sure you'll also like Titan (about John Rockefeller) and House of Morgan, about JP Morgan and his banking firm from inception to current.

For Revolutionary War era, 1776 by McCullough is also very good and a quick read.

I already read 1776. It was excellent (I just forget to mention it).

Jenny Gump 03-13-2006 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplex3
Please tell me this is a joke. How can anyone read that man-hating lesbian's drivel?

Obviously, you are ignorant about the content of the book. It's actually more "woman-hating" than "man-hating" as you so stereotypically label her drivel.

It's obvious by the first few pages, that the title is to incense people who won't even bother to open the cover to see what the content is actually about. I think my track record of opinion here makes it obvious I am far from condoning man-hating.

I in fact, think men get a bad rap most of the time as compared to women.